Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL has eyes on L.A. site again; 4 teams (including Jags) in play

I was there on opening day, very inspirational....

too bad it went downhill so fast and wound up with what the media was showing.

Winning changes everything. I hope we get some soon.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm pretty sure everyone understands the motivation behind moving the game.  That doesn't make it right that the fans who lost the game still had to pay for it.  You understand the point, right?
Oh, there's no question that you got spirally wrapped around a cylindrical axis.  You noticed "money
" was in green, right?  It's discouraging to me as a fan to have an owner who is more concerned with maximizing profit than winning a championship.  Just another example of how greed is ruining professional sports.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Oh, there's no question that you got spirally wrapped around a cylindrical axis.  You noticed "money
" was in green, right?  It's discouraging to me as a fan to have an owner who is more concerned with maximizing profit than winning a championship.  Just another example of how greed is ruining professional sports.

Stop

;

;

Quote:Stop
Why, did I say something that wasn't true?   

I would get into him spending tens of millions of his own money on upgrades to the locker room and team offices. But it's probably not worth the time.

;

;

Quote:I would get into him spending tens of millions of his own money on upgrades to the locker room and team offices. But it's probably not worth the time.
I would define the difference between "his own money" and a corporations tax deductible business expense (like a hotel remodeling it's rooms).  But it's probably not worth the time. 

Bottom line - If you're all about winning you never voluntarily give up home field advantage! 

I could also bring up him firing Gene Smith and Mike Mularkey while still under contract. But again, probably not worth the time.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:Oh, there's no question that you got spirally wrapped around a cylindrical axis.  You noticed "money

I have no doubt that Khan cares about maximizing profit. Revenue and exposure are the reasons they moved a game to London. But I have not seen anything that says he cares more about profit than winning. If he did, he would not have fired Smith/Mularkey after one year with both under contract.

Not to mention if he cared more about money than winning, he would have told his front office to sign you-know-who this offseason.

Quote:I have no doubt that Khan cares about maximizing profit. Revenue and exposure are the reasons they moved a game to London. But I have not seen anything that says he cares more about profit than winning. If he did, he would not have fired Smith/Mularkey after one year with both under contract.

Not to mention if he cared more about money than winning, he would have told his front office to sign you-know-who this offseason.
 Home team wins 58% of NFL games, why give up the 8% home field advantage?

The firing/releasing coaches, gm's and players with front-loaded contracts/guaranteed money who don't produce to expectations, is a financial decision every team makes on a regular basis.  At some point you just bite the bullet, after a 2-14 season, what did you expect? 

Didn't know you thought you-know-who was the financial savior for the franchise.....maybe Kahn did the math and realized that you and the 39 other cult members wouldn't buy enough tickets to bring the tarps off.

Quote:.....maybe Kahn did the math and realized that you and the 39 other cult members wouldn't buy enough tickets to bring the tarps off.

I'm sorry...what?

Quote:I'm sorry...what?
Have a coffee (not decaf this time) and read it again. 

Quote:Have a coffee (not decaf this time) and read it again. 

You called him of all people a cult member? :no:

The point he was making is that if Khan cared soley about profit he'd engage in every simple-minded gimmick possible including the signing of he who should not be named.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You called him of all people a cult member? :no:

The point he was making is that if Khan cared soley about profit he'd engage in every simple-minded gimmick possible including the signing of he who should not be named.

Bingo

Somebody got it

I disagree that it's all about greed, but do you begrudge someone for spending 3/4 of a billion of his own money to buy an NFL franchise for wanting to increase profitability?  Last time I checked, the NFL isn't a charity organization.  It's all about the bottom line and turning the maximum profit.  If you were in his shoes, I'm sure you'd be magnanimous and just give the product away.

I think Khan is proving that there's more to this than just turning a profit, but it absolutely needs to be a component.  That's how you get the better facilities and the better players and the brighter spotlight on your organization. 

I'm not a fan of some of the things he's done, but I do think he's proving to be more intent on building this franchise into a world class organization that can compete with the likes of the teams in Dallas, NY, Chicago, or eventually LA.  The market will never crack the top 10, but if he manages things correctly, they can certainly compete with the big boys consistently. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:You called him of all people a cult member? :no:

To be fair, Khan would have signed him.  Fortunately, the football side of the operation won that fight under 2 head coaches and 2 GMs.  Of course, Gene Smith tendered an offer to Denver to trade for him.  We just got lucky that the messiah chose the big apple over Cowford. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]