Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which two rank 1st and 2nd to you as biggest detractors from offensive goals in 2023?
OL talent & performance + Execution (skill players)
OL talent & performance + QB execution
OL talent & performance + play calling
Play Calling + OL talent & performance
Play Calling + QB execution
Play Calling + Skill player execution
QB execution + OL talent & performance
QB execution + play calling
QB execution + skill player execution
It's all about the line
Corn
Blank #2
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 06-11-2024

2023 Offensive Underachievement Poll

(01-14-2024, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 01:37 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: In an offense league it is all you can ask, because you have to put up more points than the next team to win games. Defense helps you make it but it is proven that the offense is far more superior than defense in this league. All the rules suggest that, whether you agree or not, rules does not care about your feelings.

Football analysis doesn't have jack [BLEEP] to do with feelings. Don't be a douche bag. 

When your defense gift wraps 21 points to the Flacco led browns with busted coverages then lets Henry run for three times his typical YPC it is a major [BLEEP] problem that supersedes offensive efficiency.
Except it is not. Scoring 21 pts isn't a big deal in todays league. Offenses dominate games. We are not in the 90s were team win games on running the ball and playing hard nosed football. It is not reality. Teams have more finesee schemes in todays era and win games based on that. 

They dont win games running the ball 181828181 times a game and playing defense. It doesn't happen. Rodgers won a SB when his defense allowed teams to score alot of points, the biggest difference is that his defense had alot of takeaways that year just like the Jaguars 2023 defense. Our D helped us get the ball back for more opportinies to capatilize and we failed.

While our defense wasn't perfect, the defense had a better season than alot of people like to admit. It was the offense that underpeformed all season long.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2024, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 01:37 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: In an offense league it is all you can ask, because you have to put up more points than the next team to win games. Defense helps you make it but it is proven that the offense is far more superior than defense in this league. All the rules suggest that, whether you agree or not, rules does not care about your feelings.

Football analysis doesn't have jack [BLEEP] to do with feelings. Don't be a douche bag. 

When your defense gift wraps 21 points to the Flacco led browns with busted coverages then lets Henry run for three times his typical YPC it is a major [BLEEP] problem that supersedes offensive efficiency on that day.

OPINION WARNING

It appeared to me Doug talked to the players and then the coaches. Compared what was said and found huge differences between the conversations and those he did last year. Then made the moves needed.  What does a defensive guy do if he doesn't have an assignment for a specific situation ?  Perhaps they freelance....  just a guess.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-14-2024, 01:37 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 01:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No. Thats not all you can ask for.

You can ask for a defense to not allow Jake Browning, Joe Flacco, Baker Mayfield, and Ryan Tannehill to put up 30 points.
In an offense league it is all you can ask, because you have to put up more points than the next team to win games. Defense helps you make it but it is proven that the offense is far more superior than defense in this league. All the rules suggest that, whether you agree or not, rules does not care about your feelings.
Feelings? lol ok

Fact. Turnovers rarely translate game to game or season to season. 

Rush the passer and stop the run. That’s basic football and that will likely never change.

My point is that if the defense had just been able to contain backup QBs, this team would have won the south. Look at Houston? Destroyed Flacco. New Orleans held Baker to 13 the week after the Jags played them. Tacks were held to 3 points the week before the Jags played them. 

The offense and Trevor have a hand in the collapse. No one is denying that. Trevor has to be better. Pederson and Taylor have to be better. 

But if the defense actually stopped anyone down the stretch….. even a little…. This team is in the post season.

(01-14-2024, 01:56 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Football analysis doesn't have jack [BLEEP] to do with feelings. Don't be a douche bag. 

When your defense gift wraps 21 points to the Flacco led browns with busted coverages then lets Henry run for three times his typical YPC it is a major [BLEEP] problem that supersedes offensive efficiency on that day.

OPINION WARNING

It appeared to me Doug talked to the players and then the coaches. Compared what was said and found huge differences between the conversations and those he did last year. Then made the moves needed.  What does a defensive guy do if he doesn't have an assignment for a specific situation ?  Perhaps they freelance....  just a guess.

Yes - they do exit interviews with players and coaches. 

The answers and info received in those can often accumulate into a big arrow pointing at a commonly expressed problem. 

There's a ton of other stuff we don't get to see or hear about as well amongst a staff. Who knows what schisms may have existed between the offensive and defensive staff? 

Caldwell was somewhat unique as a DC hire in that he and Doug had very little history compared to a number of other guys brought in. ( I think they were both position coaches in Philly for one year under Reid) 

Seeing this defense trounced by mediocre QBs and offenses to end the season is enough for me to be OK with the dismissals.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 06:08 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

The ultimate problem was that they never played complimentary football in the positive direction except against the Panthers, which almost doesnt count, IMO. Either the O was bad and the defense kept us in the game, or vice versa. Or they both stunk (49ers). And special teams certainly contributed to some losses (Texans 1st game). Certainly a strange and underwhelming season.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 07:04 AM by JaguarJosh2.)

I feel like the defensive meltdown also played a part in the offense having to play from behind and feeling the pressure of having to convert and score every single drive. It's a team game. That being said, we know our interior OL is garbo.

voted OL and playcalling. When you can't block, you don't call horizontal runs. Far too often those end around attempts put us in 2nd and long, which then led to Etienne up the middle leaving us 3rd and long, and then Trevor running for his life.

They never developed an identity. We weren't pound it down your throat, or spread the defense all over the field, or screw it, we're going deep. They just seemed to passively nibble to see what the D would let them get away with, rather than commanding the field. We're capable of more, I believe. If we can fix the problems along the line, I will be very interested to see what this team can actually do.

(01-17-2024, 08:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: voted OL and playcalling. When you can't block, you don't call horizontal runs. Far too often those end around attempts put us in 2nd and long, which then led to Etienne up the middle leaving us 3rd and long, and then Trevor running for his life.

They never developed an identity. We weren't pound it down your throat, or spread the defense all over the field, or screw it, we're going deep. They just seemed to passively nibble to see what the D would let them get away with, rather than commanding the field. We're capable of more, I believe. If we can fix the problems along the line, I will be very interested to see what this team can actually do.

The identity was a finesse blocking unit unable to block even a minimum amount of power runs and also unable to block the zone scheme they were acquired to execute. 

Horizontal plays in both run and pass plays are Pederson's intended design and calling card. But he and Baalke failed to field a front five capable of executing it effectively enough to win the division while facing a #3 strength of schedule in the league in 2023. 

Fix 3/5s of the line and its a top ten offense. They hovered around 13th in the league in multiple key metrics with a bottom feeder line. They can take an impactful step forward by marginally improving it.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 10:25 AM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

I love how some people act like Kelce is a god (just to defend Trevor of course LOL) and way better than any other TE in the league but he only had 21 more yards and 1 more TD than Engram  Laughing

But of course, if this wasn't a "lets defend Trevor at all costs" those same people would be saying Engram is better than Kelce haha.

Never change guys, please never change.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-17-2024, 10:21 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I love how some people act like Kelce is a god (just to defend Trevor of course LOL) and way better than any other TE in the league but he only had 21 more yards and 1 more TD than Engram  Laughing

But of course, if this wasn't a "lets defend Trevor at all costs" those same people would be saying Engram is better than Kelce haha.

It's weird how you see every comment through a lens of hyperbole and spin

Lawrence made some stupid mistakes this year that cost us games IMO. 
Some of them can be chalked up to injury and playing behind a line he couldn't trust.
Some of them are squarely on him.

He had an excellent weapon in Engram to rely on.
Mahomes has a slightly better weapon in Kielce to rely on.
I don't see how that has anything to do with people defending Trevor's viability as a franchise QB worthy of building around. Except we don't need a move TE because we signed a good one. *shrug*

(01-17-2024, 10:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 10:21 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I love how some people act like Kelce is a god (just to defend Trevor of course LOL) and way better than any other TE in the league but he only had 21 more yards and 1 more TD than Engram  Laughing

It's weird how you see every comment through a lens of hyperbole and spin

Some of them can be chalked up to injury and playing behind a line he couldn't trust.

I don't see how that has anything to do with people defending Trevor's viability as a franchise QB worthy of building around. Except we don't need a move TE because we signed a good one. *shrug*

My post wasn't about Lawrence, it was a about people being silly/hypocrites yet again.

I already said what I think about this silly Mahomes vs Lawrence, their comparison is completely dumb, or even comparing their seasons, situations etc. One is a generational talent with 2 SB wins, the other struggles to play like a top 10 QB. 
And yes, Trevor needs a better O-line to play better and he also wasn't the main reason we lost those games, how many times do I have to say it so people won't cry about it every time I mention Trevor?

Once again, people mention Kelce and ignore to mention Engram like he is some garbage TE with 200 yards in the season. Guys in this topic and another one act like having Kelce and a bunch of scrubs is better than (or the same as) having Ridley, Kirk, Engram, Zay Jones and ETN.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 11:24 AM by jessepeck1213. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2024, 11:21 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 11:12 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: That’s a bad take. Not even Mahomes could carry Kansas City in the first half of the year when the rest of the team was sucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you do understand outside of Kelce, none of KCs wrs would start above our top 3 wrs right? He has far less talent around him..

You're dead wrong. Rashee rice is so much better than zay its not even debatable. The only debatable thing would be if rashee rice is better than all of our receivers, which he probably is. Rice had a higher pff grade his rookie year than any of our recievers have had in any year of their career.

(01-17-2024, 11:12 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 10:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's weird how you see every comment through a lens of hyperbole and spin

My post wasn't about Lawrence, it was a about people being silly/hypocrites yet again.

I already said what I think about this silly Mahomes vs Lawrence, their comparison is completely dumb, or even comparing their seasons, situations etc. One is a generational talent with 2 SB wins, the other struggles to play like a top 10 QB. 
And yes, Trevor needs a better O-line to play better and he also wasn't the main reason we lost those games, how many times do I have to say it so people won't cry about it every time I mention Trevor?

Once again, people mention Kelce and ignore to mention Engram like he is some garbage TE with 200 yards in the season. Guys in this topic and another one act like having Kelce and a bunch of scrubs is better than (or the same as) having Ridley, Kirk, Engram, Zay Jones and ETN.

If you think that's bad enough, we had some posters saying that Mahomes has a better supporting cast on offense than Lawrence. That was hilarious.

(01-17-2024, 07:28 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 11:12 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: My post wasn't about Lawrence, it was a about people being silly/hypocrites yet again.

If you think that's bad enough, we had some posters saying that Mahomes has a better supporting cast on offense than Lawrence. That was hilarious.
Pretty accurate, especially OL.

(01-17-2024, 07:46 PM)PV=nRT Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:28 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: If you think that's bad enough, we had some posters saying that Mahomes has a better supporting cast on offense than Lawrence. That was hilarious.
Pretty accurate, especially OL.

It's not accurate at all.

Mahomes > Lawrence
ETN > Pachecho/McKinnon
Ridley/Kirk/Zay are all better than their best WR
Engram = Kelce (in terms of this past year, not overall obviously)
Jags OL was slightly worse, but not by much.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 08:05 PM by PV=nRT. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-17-2024, 07:48 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:46 PM)PV=nRT Wrote: Pretty accurate, especially OL.

It's not accurate at all.

Mahomes > Lawrence
ETN > Pachecho/McKinnon
Ridley/Kirk/Zay are all better than their best WR
Engram = Kelce (in terms of this past year, not overall obviously)
Jags OL was slightly worse, but not by much.

Jags OL was WAY worse, which negated ETN's talent.  Jags had 120 rushing plays this year that got 0 or negative yardage which was either 1st or second in the league.   Didn't ZJones miss half the season and didn't Kirk miss the final 6 games?  How many TD passes did CRid either drop or not get his feet down for? Answer is 8. LOL

When is the last time you were confident on 3rd and 3 or less that we could run for the first down?

(01-17-2024, 09:33 PM)Jag149 Wrote: When is the last time you were confident on 3rd and 3 or less that we could run for the first down?

The dreaded 3rd and 1.

(01-17-2024, 09:33 PM)Jag149 Wrote: When is the last time you were confident on 3rd and 3 or less that we could run for the first down?

When MJD was in his prime, tbh.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2024, 01:27 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2024, 10:29 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

When MJD was in his prime, tbh.

So the guys we have in the center of our line for many years have just not done the job.  What makes us think after all these years they will wake up and do it next year?  They have struck out so much for so long I am for scrapping all of them and giving some new faces a chance at the plate maybe they will get a hit.

I do believe we have tackles, just not guards and a center.