Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which two rank 1st and 2nd to you as biggest detractors from offensive goals in 2023?
OL talent & performance + Execution (skill players)
OL talent & performance + QB execution
OL talent & performance + play calling
Play Calling + OL talent & performance
Play Calling + QB execution
Play Calling + Skill player execution
QB execution + OL talent & performance
QB execution + play calling
QB execution + skill player execution
It's all about the line
Corn
Blank #2
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 06-11-2024

2023 Offensive Underachievement Poll

(Poll being added)
Who do you blame the most for the offense never realizing its true potential in 2023? 

Lots of places to point fingers - so few free to lay them out. 

I'm basically seeing it like this:

60% OL ineptitude (badly rostered line too focused on finesse and unable to run block or protect) 
15% injury (Kirk, Lawrence, Zay, various OL) 
10% Trevor Lawrence mistakes and miscues unrelated to injury
10% skill player execution issues (drops, miscommunication, bad route detail) 
5% - play calling

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 02:55 PM by Thewitnessofsolinvictus. Edited 1 time in total.)

Getting sick of Blank #2's gib, but from day one I never liked corn. To hell with corn. And it's all about the line.

The most fundamental elements of successful football are blocking and tackling. Blocking on offense, tackling on defense. When blocking is sorely lacking, it's almost impossible to have a successful offense. You can't do anything if you can't block the other team.

So I voted "It's all about the line."

(01-13-2024, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: (Poll being added)
Who do you blame the most for the offense never realizing its true potential in 2023? 

60% OL ineptitude (badly rostered line too focused on finesse and unable to run block or protect) 
5% - play calling

I pretty much agree with these percentages. Injury might be a little higher, but Trevor's injuries can be at least partially attributed to the horrible offensive line. If the team had a reliable line the running game would have been much better and Trevor wouldn't have been forced to do too much. Some of his mistakes could also be blamed on trying to do too much (forcing bad throws, taking unnecessary hits when running for his life, etc). No doubt, some of his mistakes were just bad execution with no one else to blame.

They should have replaced Fortner with literally anyone else during the season. I actually think that would have fixed the line with Cleveland/Walker at LG.

Trevor was pretty bad all season, even before the injuries. 14 picks and 12 fumbles (7 lost). He’s just so careless with the ball. It’s hard to consistently win when your qb is turning the ball over so much. His decision making and accuracy was also sketchy, but I will give him some leeway on that due to Fortner.

Playcalling throughout the season was atrocious. Some of that was probably due to not being able to run (due to Fortner). However there was times when the play calls were literally run, pass, pass for large parts of the game. Also infuriating calling plays of 5 yards when we need 8 on third down and the receiver getting tackled immediately.

Coaching also a massive issue. Constant miscommunication. Delay of game penalties (or being forced to burn a timeout) in what seemed like every game. Preparation seemed lacking and we often started games extremely slowly.

(01-13-2024, 03:48 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

5% - play calling

I pretty much agree with these percentages. Injury might be a little higher, but Trevor's injuries can be at least partially attributed to the horrible offensive line. If the team had a reliable line the running game would have been much better and Trevor wouldn't have been forced to do too much. Some of his mistakes could also be blamed on trying to do too much (forcing bad throws, taking unnecessary hits when running for his life, etc). No doubt, some of his mistakes were just bad execution with no one else to blame.

And yet all the grades I see show that Cleveland did not play that effectively for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

I'm convinced the entire season was hijacked with bad line play. Couldn't start the run game because of poor blocking. Couldn't develop long ball because of poor blocking. TL got injuries and then shell shocked because of bad Oline play. We missed the playoffs because the line couldn't be trusted to get us a score at the 1 yard line with two attempts to go.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

75% Bad Offensive Line Play.

25% Turnovers.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Trevor. If Trevor is the franchise guy, its on him. If the online sucks, he's got to be more efficient and responsible on early downs.

Where is just play calling and HC giving up responsibility of the offense?

What a lame [BLEEP] [BLEEP] poll

(01-13-2024, 07:24 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I'm convinced the entire season was hijacked with bad line play. Couldn't start the run game because of poor blocking. Couldn't develop long ball because of poor blocking. TL got injuries and then shell shocked because of bad Oline play. We missed the playoffs because the line couldn't be trusted to get us a score at the 1 yard line with two attempts to go.

When your centre gets bent over and spanked every damn play u cant do anything

Imo it goes like this:

O line - Terrible
WRs - Bad
QB play - not great.

I think you improve the line, it makes the rest better but how good it can be is yet to be seen.

(01-13-2024, 07:53 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Trevor. If Trevor is the franchise guy, its on him. If the online sucks, he's got to be more efficient and responsible on early downs.

That’s a bad take. Not even Mahomes could carry Kansas City in the first half of the year when the rest of the team was sucking.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-13-2024, 11:12 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 07:53 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Trevor.  If Trevor is the franchise guy, its on him.  If the online sucks, he's got to be more efficient and responsible on early downs.

That’s a bad take. Not even Mahomes could carry Kansas City in the first half of the year when the rest of the team was sucking.

Now you do understand outside of Kelce, none of KCs wrs would start above our top 3 wrs right? He has far less talent around him..

Just fix the O-line and everything will be better
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

5% - play calling

My take
80% OL ineptitude (badly rostered line too focused on finesse and unable to run block or protect) 
5% injury (Kirk, Lawrence, Zay, various OL) 
5% Trevor Lawrence mistakes and miscues unrelated to injury

Once it became apparent how soft our line was in the middle the other D's job became a lot easier.  They could stop the run on the way to the QB without a care.  Short yardage at the goal line or to convert a 4th down was laughable all year.  The longer it went on the more skidish and beat up our QB became until he wasn't the same guy at the end of the season. It all begins on the line. I am not saying we need a top 5 line, but 10-15 sure would make a real improvement in the offense.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-13-2024, 07:56 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Where is just play calling and HC giving up responsibility of the offense?

No need to put unrealistic options on there.

(01-14-2024, 12:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Just fix the O-line and everything will be better

Defensive line too, but yes!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-14-2024, 12:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 07:56 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Where is just play calling and HC giving up responsibility of the offense?

No need to put unrealistic options on there.

(01-14-2024, 12:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Just fix the O-line and everything will be better

Defensive line too, but yes!

That too
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

You have a weird obsession with the play calling. It was definitely not the worst part of this offense.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 02:29 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

A lot of people think this. You can check Reddit or you tube comments. I agree with bad play calling being a huge part of the down fall in the 23 season.