Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Zay Jones...Do you bring him back in 2024

Everything I'm hearing is that this draft is absolutely loaded at wide receiver and OL. Not just front loaded, but several rounds deep.

So we do whatever it takes to keep that 2nd rounder and then draft OL and WR... ...or WR then OL, whichever's the better deal. And we keep either Ridley or Zay depending on what keeps us the 2nd round pick, because we really really need it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’d find a way to keep him and Ag.

(02-06-2024, 04:44 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 04:17 PM)wg171 Wrote: Signed players I would cut…

Zay Jones

Cam Robinson
Brandon Scherff
Darious Williams
Rayshawn Jenkins
Foley Fatukasi

Restructure…
Christian Kirk

Restructure and extend…
Foye Oluoku

I hate creating holes but I think this team needs to be quite active in free agency and Baalke is horrible with mid/low round picks.

You want to cut two of our starting O-Line when it is already one of the weakest in the league?

@nowhere to go but up@

....or horizontal.

(02-07-2024, 10:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 04:44 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: You want to cut two of our starting O-Line when it is already one of the weakest in the league?

@nowhere to go but up@

....or horizontal.

Absolutely cut Robinson and Sherff; they are both overpaid, average at this point, and in PEDSRob's case, under the PED cloud and hurt half the year every season. At least Sherff is available all the time, but he's just too much of the cap at this point. We can resign Cleveland, sign a FA C and G, and roll with Little and Harrison at the tackles. That's all before we get to the draft when I expect at least two additional bodies on the line.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-06-2024, 05:11 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 05:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Scherff is as good as gone. He has a big cap hit and he's old.

And yea, a lot of us do want an entirely new Oline (more specifically interior) because they were ATROCIOUS. Bringing most of the band back together is a terrible idea.

Little FA JPJ Hunt Harrison

This is how I would try to tackle the Oline in the offseason. Little was pretty good in the 4 games he started at LT (his natural position) before they kept moving him around and then he got hurt.

We all want the line replaced, but trying to replace four starters with zero depth is just a terrible idea.

I would be fine with cutting Scherff if we have a good option. You guys are putting a lot of faith in rookies though. Cam still outplayed Little and I'm not sold on him at LT. I'd rather move Harrison there eventually, but I'm 100% wanting us to try and restructure Cam for another year with him at LT while we build the line up more.

Guys get injured. We really, really need depth on the line or Trevor is going to die.
I don't know what's so hard to understand.

You're cutting and getting rid of bad players. If you sign and draft bad players again, there's no difference. BUT, if you sign and draft good players..... that's good.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2024, 01:27 PM by Charlie Sheen.)

(02-07-2024, 11:02 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 05:11 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: We all want the line replaced, but trying to replace four starters with zero depth is just a terrible idea.

I would be fine with cutting Scherff if we have a good option. You guys are putting a lot of faith in rookies though. Cam still outplayed Little and I'm not sold on him at LT. I'd rather move Harrison there eventually, but I'm 100% wanting us to try and restructure Cam for another year with him at LT while we build the line up more.

Guys get injured. We really, really need depth on the line or Trevor is going to die.
I don't know what's so hard to understand.

You're cutting and getting rid of bad players. If you sign and draft bad players again, there's no difference. BUT, if you sign and draft good players..... that's good.

Cam outplayed Little.

I'm not saying don't draft their replacements. I'm saying that we still need depth on the line too.

For a board that says Trevor is one good O-Line away from being a top 5 QB I do find it a little odd how many people want to cut away players that weren't the actual issues on the line and create a bigger depth issue.

And if you can find better players in FA for cheaper, then sign them and cut after. Scherff/Cam after. No need to create more issues before we have solutions.

(02-13-2024, 01:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...09666?s=20

That tracks. Zay is not very good and is in definite need of upgrade. He's also way too expensive for a depth reciever and I don't remember seeing him on special teams.

Cut Zay, sign jump ball God Mike Williams

(02-13-2024, 04:55 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Cut Zay, sign jump ball God Mike Williams

Williams isnt a FA

There is currently no #1 WR on this roster. So IMO you cut Agnew and Jones and go get one in FA if you can.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-13-2024, 06:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 04:55 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Cut Zay, sign jump ball God Mike Williams

Williams isnt a FA

No, he isnt. But hes due to make ~30 million this upcoming year iirc, which makes him a likely cut candidate. I was thinking he could be a good target depending on price, and if the jags can tolerate the injury risk. Would be a big target for Trev.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2024, 02:24 PM by ClemsonOrangeJaguar. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-13-2024, 06:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Williams isnt a FA

He's not, I was just reading he's a strong cut candidate coming off injury with his massive contract. 

This is exactly what Trevor needs. Best contested catcher in NFL behind Hopkins

https://youtu.be/R-NCQmhoRH4

(02-14-2024, 02:24 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 06:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Williams isnt a FA

He's not, I was just reading he's a strong cut candidate coming off injury with his massive contract. 

Off a torn ACL though?

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2024, 04:08 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-14-2024, 03:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 02:24 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: He's not, I was just reading he's a strong cut candidate coming off injury with his massive contract. 

Off a torn ACL though?

Sounds like Baalkes dream come true. He must like flea markets and scratch and dent sales.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 05:41 PM by Jagulars. Edited 1 time in total.)

No. There's decent depth on the roster to replace Zay. Need to find that #1 along the way. That interior OL comes first.

I support bringing Zay Jones back.  In today's NFL, $4.1 million isn't a ton of salary cap money anymore.  It will be less than 2% of our salary cap in 2024.  It's unlikely that we would find a better receiver for the price in free agency and I would prefer to use our draft to upgrade our other needs.  In regards to Washington and Cooks, I'm generally positive, but I also recognize that they only had 132 and 38 receiving yards last year.  Rookies do sometimes improve (Walker, Lloyd), but they can also stay the same or even regress (Fortner).  I give it another year to see if Washington/Cooks develop.  Hopefully they do and can take over in 2025 when Zay's contract has expired.  In 2024, I keep Zay as a stopgap.

(02-06-2024, 05:05 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 04:58 PM)wg171 Wrote: Trying to free up money with cuts.

LT - Harrison
LG - Possible draft pick or stop gap FA
C  - Cushenberry/Williams
RG - Hunt
RT - 1st round pick

It's unnecessary. I get the idea of trying to clear cap space, but we have zero depth and are trying to keep Trevor alive. We had the worst O-Line last year, so trying to replace 4 starters on the line with terrible depth in one year is a terrible idea.

If you admit that they are terrible, why are you so afraid of losing them?  I understand that swapping out 4 players might not initially sound great, but when I look at the specifics, it does make the most sense.  Cutting Cam saves us over $17 million in cap space.  Cutting Scherff saves us $9 million this year plus an additional $7.5 million next year.  If we keep Scherff in 2024, he's costing us $16.5 million for ONE season of playing.  He's just not that good.

We can use the $33+ million to upgrade all three interior offensive line positions and have money left over.  I then look at mock drafts which project a bunch of good offensive tackles available at our #17 spot.  I take one to pair with Harrison.  I would fully expect the first round rookie to start, but even if he needed time, we have Little as a Plan B.  Assuming the rookie starts, Little makes good depth at swing tackle.  I would likely use a couple of extra picks (maybe our two fourth rounders) on additional offensive line depth.  I think it's a wonderful plan to upgrade our offensive line which will in turn will greatly help all aspects of our offense.

I also remind you that Cam and Little are in the final year of their contact.  If you keep them, what do you do in 2025?  Pay them as unrestricted free agents?  The draft?  I'm hopeful that we'll be drafting later in 2025.  We also have unreliable information about 2025 draft prospects at this point.  What if it is a bad year for offensive tackles?  What do we do then?  If Little is no longer on the roster, we also have no plan B if we can't draft a good tackle or if the rookie struggles initially.  Getting our tackle of the future this year makes more sense.  The plan starts with cutting Cam and Scherff.

(02-18-2024, 06:50 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I support bringing Zay Jones back.  In today's NFL, $4.1 million isn't a ton of salary cap money anymore.  It will be less than 2% of our salary cap in 2024.  It's unlikely that we would find a better receiver for the price in free agency and I would prefer to use our draft to upgrade our other needs.  In regards to Washington and Cooks, I'm generally positive, but I also recognize that they only had 132 and 38 receiving yards last year.  Rookies do sometimes improve (Walker, Lloyd), but they can also stay the same or even regress (Fortner).  I give it another year to see if Washington/Cooks develop.  Hopefully they do and can take over in 2025 when Zay's contract has expired.  In 2024, I keep Zay as a stopgap.

While I agree, the nagging knee injury (hammy?) give me pause. I'm definitely looking beyond 2024 with respect to his roster spot - if we have someone that shows they are capable, he's easily tradeable at that price. Considering that big contracts to QB and Allen (et all) on the horizon, we are going to need to get cheaper at a lot of spots, and WR is one of the easiest to fill with younger, more affordable options.

I keep him presently, but he may not be around by late August. Just the business of the shield.