Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just general college FB stuff

(12-03-2023, 10:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 09:51 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Yeah. The way the NFL does it is better. Or ncaam basketball. Prove it by playing. That why next year’s CFB will be more legitimate.

That’s why the argument that someone won their conference isn’t the be all and end all to me. What’s the strength of your conference?  Are you better or as good as you were earlier in the season?  It will be better when we have more objective benchmarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s more of a “what have you done lately” kind of ranking. Bamas bad games and their loss to Texas means nothing because they beat Georgia.

I just don’t trust a process where “eye test” is in the criteria. I mean look at this board. We all watch the same games and every one of comes away seeing something different.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2023, 09:51 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 09:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: College football is so dumb.

Its all subjective and when deciding a champion, it should never be subjective.

Yeah. The way the NFL does it is better. Or ncaam basketball. Prove it by playing. That why next year’s CFB will be more legitimate.

That’s why the argument that someone won their conference isn’t the be all and end all to me. What’s the strength of your conference?  Are you better or as good as you were earlier in the season?  It will be better when we have more objective benchmarks.

FSU receives an automatic bid this season with next seasons playoff format.. 

Honestly, too many good teams got left out this season..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Next year's format is better but absolutely nullifies conference championship games. The cleanest way in my mind would be to have 4 regional super conferences and have those 4 conference championship games be de facto playoff games to the 4 team playoff we currently have. Either join a regional super conference or piss off.

(12-03-2023, 11:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Spicy. 

https://twitter.com/ACCFootball/status/1...2271848554

As someone else on here smartly remembered, 13-0 Auburn suffered the same fate in 2004. An imperfect system can produce imperfect results.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-03-2023, 11:34 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Next year's format is better but absolutely nullifies conference championship games.  The cleanest way in my mind would be to have 4 regional super conferences and have those 4 conference championship games be de facto playoff games to the 4 team playoff we currently have.  Either join a regional super conference or piss off.

That seems to be the direction college football is headed anyway. 

College sports overall is undergoing an evolution right now and it's difficult to see where it will end up. Especially with NIL and the transfer portal. It's officially/unofficially semi-pro. But that's okay, the number of athletes who can take advantage of it is actually small. Most college athletes use their scholarships for genuine scholarly pursuits.

(12-03-2023, 11:34 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Next year's format is better but absolutely nullifies conference championship games. The cleanest way in my mind would be to have 4 regional super conferences and have those 4 conference championship games be de facto playoff games to the 4 team playoff we currently have. Either join a regional super conference or piss off.

On first read, that is a good solution. I can’t think of many downsides to this.

One stipulation would be that the conferences must each have at least a two game championship tournament.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(12-03-2023, 11:45 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 11:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Spicy. 

https://twitter.com/ACCFootball/status/1...2271848554

As someone else on here smartly remembered, 13-0 Auburn suffered the same fate in 2004. An imperfect system can produce imperfect results.

13-0 Auburn should've been on the death penalty but were only on probation at the time.

(12-04-2023, 07:51 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 11:34 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Next year's format is better but absolutely nullifies conference championship games.  The cleanest way in my mind would be to have 4 regional super conferences and have those 4 conference championship games be de facto playoff games to the 4 team playoff we currently have.  Either join a regional super conference or piss off.

On first read, that is a good solution. I can’t think of many downsides to this.

One stipulation would be that the conferences must each have at least a two game championship tournament.

College players should NOT play the number of games these schemes are going to require. 10 regular season then 2 conference playoffs the 3 national playoffs? No way. Doing something like this is just going to drive the NFL talent out the second they can declare. As soon as the NFL catches up with the NBA and allows a younger entry age the entirety of college football is going to collapse into the XFL.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I’ve always said a 6-team playoff makes the most sense. Give the top two teams a reward by giving them a bye. 4 Conf champs and two at-large/ND.

The problem with this now is the conferences are becoming two super conferences and everyone else. FSU, Miami, and Clemson will prolly try and break to the SEC within the next couple years, killing the ACC. The Big 12 is already about to lose their two best teams. Meanwhile, you have a transfer portal out there where players can just leave whenever they want with no penalty anymore. The game’s in a murky place right now.

As for the playoff, I’m fine with putting Bama in but definitely understand the Noles frustration. I understand Georgia’s frustration too. They’re expanding one year too late. But Bama most definitely is a top-4 team. FSU was with Travis…not without. They would have gotten slaughtered by Michigan.

(12-04-2023, 08:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 11:45 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: As someone else on here smartly remembered, 13-0 Auburn suffered the same fate in 2004. An imperfect system can produce imperfect results.

13-0 Auburn should've been on the death penalty but were only on probation at the time.

(12-04-2023, 07:51 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: On first read, that is a good solution. I can’t think of many downsides to this.

College players should NOT play the number of games these schemes are going to require. 10 regular season then 2 conference playoffs the 3 national playoffs? No way. Doing something like this is just going to drive the NFL talent out the second they can declare. As soon as the NFL catches up with the NBA and allows a younger entry age the entirety of college football is going to collapse into the XFL.

You are absolutely correct. I researched the wrong source, probably an Auburn resource. Thanks for clarifying.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The transfer portal is now open.. Norvell needs to go get Cam Ward

Not usually a big reader of Yahoo Sports, but this article seems to have nailed it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-state-w...27924.html

This is a huge issue and don't say it will be fixed by expanding the playoffs. Next year there will just be more SEC and Big Ten teams in and anyone else left out. Then for seeding, you will have the ACC champ around 10,

This whole thing was spearheaded by ESPN and SEC. ESPN started the narrative before Travis was even hurt. They had to make sure a SEC team would be there in the if UGA lost. ESPN has to have a SEC team there or their contract is too costly. The entire ACC championship game was just by ESPN to push the narrative that FSU wasn't good enough. They barely talked about the actual game they were supposed to be calling.

If FSU was viewed so badly now by the committee, why are they ahead of UGA? So FSU would beat UGA but not any of the teams above them? The committee just didn't want to show where they really would rank FSU.

FSU has to leave the ACC as the conference is no longer a power 5 as shown by the committee. It's SEC or Big Ten moving forward, everyone else will get with 4 or less spots in the expanded playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023, 11:46 AM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Greenie giving some hell this morning..

https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/173...NJGCg&s=19
https://twitter.com/EricLuallen/status/1...Ccycg&s=19

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023, 11:48 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-04-2023, 08:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 11:45 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: As someone else on here smartly remembered, 13-0 Auburn suffered the same fate in 2004. An imperfect system can produce imperfect results.

Incorrect. I believe the below is what you are referring to.  In 2004 Auburn was not on probation or was there any NCAA inquiries into anything. 

If you do not believe me the NCAA database is easy for you to search ...Smile

The violations: Auburn booster Corky Frost was found to have given more than $4,000 in cash and merchandise — including steaks and tires for a car — to Tigers defensive back Eric Ramsey. Ramsey made several secret recordings of conversations with Frost and Auburn assistant coach Larry Blakeney, who also provided cash to Ramsey from another booster. Head football coach Pat Dye, then also the school's athletic director, was never directly implicated, but charged with lack of institutional control.

The sanctions: Dye resigned after the 1992 season, months before the sanctions were announced. Auburn got two years of probation, lost 33 scholarships over a three-year period, was hit with a two-year postseason ban and a one-year television ban. Frost and Blakeney were permanently disassociated from the program.

The aftermath: Ramsey and wife Twilitta were booed heavily at their graduation from Auburn in December 1992. Auburn went 11-0 under first-year head coach Terry Bowden in 1993, but was ineligible for the SEC championship due to the NCAA sanctions. The Tigers — who won or shared in four SEC titles under Dye in the 1980s — wouldn't win the conference again until 2004. Dye never coached again, but remains an active presence around the Auburn athletic department. Blakeney left in 1991 to become head coach at Troy, where he stayed more than 25 years and won 178 games.

Later it was found an Alabame alumni had been paying Ramsey to get recordings. I believe he was disbarred eventually.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Love this lolol

https://twitter.com/SeminoleKJ/status/17...CZ8zA&s=19

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023, 12:21 PM by Jagger. Edited 3 times in total.)

(12-04-2023, 11:28 AM)p_rushing Wrote: This is a huge issue and don't say it will be fixed by expanding the playoffs. Next year there will just be more SEC and Big Ten teams in and anyone else left out. Then for seeding, you will have the ACC champ around 10,

This whole thing was spearheaded by ESPN and SEC. ESPN started the narrative before Travis was even hurt. They had to make sure a SEC team would be there in the if UGA lost. ESPN has to have a SEC team there or their contract is too costly. The entire ACC championship game was just by ESPN to push the narrative that FSU wasn't good enough. They barely talked about the actual game they were supposed to be calling.

If FSU was viewed so badly now by the committee, why are they ahead of UGA? So FSU would beat UGA but not any of the teams above them? The committee just didn't want to show where they really would rank FSU.

FSU has to leave the ACC as the conference is no longer a power 5 as shown by the committee. It's SEC or Big Ten moving forward, everyone else will get with 4 or less spots in the expanded playoffs.

So just to play devil's advocate on some of your points (because I understand both sides in the argument):
1) It's really hard to leave an SEC champ out, especially one with just one loss. As sick as I am of Alabama, they have a very strong resume and just beat the #1 team and two-time defending national champ. LSU was FSU's best win; it was Bama's third-best win, with two wins over Top-10 teams (FSU has zero). So if we are going to use the "four best team" argument, which the committee uses, then I think Bama has to be in. Now, I have an issue with the whole 'four best team" terminology since I think Georgia or Ohio State are also better than Washington & FSU, but that's a whole other story.

2) The 12-team playoff will take care of everything. There's no need for FSU to leave the ACC, but I think them and Clemson very well may, which is bad for college football having so many power teams in just two conferences. It kills the Big 12 and ACC. I'm sure Notre Dame will jump to the Big 10 one day as well. 

3) As for why FSU is ranked over Georgia, I think it has to do with the committee's guidelines about conference championships carrying the most weight.

4) FSU should have never been moved into the top-4 after the ugly start against an attrocious Northern Alabama team and an ugly performance on offense against a really bad Florida defense. I think that was the mistake the committee made. I think it would have justified what they did more. They moved them out of the top-4 a couple of weeks ago, and then for some reason moved them back in, and then moved them back out. I don't think they should have ever been in without Travis since they clearly were a poor offense with the other two qbs.

We can claim "SEC bias" all we want, but they have six of the last 8 national championships. If anything, I would argue the Pac-12 is the most overrated conference and FSU vs. Washington should be the bigger debate. I get Washington has beaten Oregon (who has schedule issues of their own), but they have looked putrid against some really bad teams, notably Stanford and ASU. Of the four teams in the CFP, Washington is the only team I think FSU can beat. The other three---no chance.

(12-04-2023, 12:09 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Love this lolol

Yea,  stick it to the man and rest of the ACC.  The bowl and networks would just sue the ACC for damages and win.  It would make any bowl thinking of paying an FSU team to come play in their bowl say no in the future.  I can also hear the Georgia fans saying how afraid FSU was of playing against them.  Smoooooth move Leroy....Smile
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-04-2023, 12:21 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 12:09 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Love this lolol

Yea,  stick it to the man and rest of the ACC.  The bowl and networks would just sue the ACC for damages and win.  It would make any bowl thinking of paying an FSU team to come play in their bowl say no in the future.  I can also hear the Georgia fans saying how afraid FSU was of playing against them.  Smoooooth move Leroy....Smile

It was a joke, dude.. notice the "lolol"?