Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Time to give Lawrence that major deal?
YES! Sign him and lock him up! He is the Franchise!
Not Yet! I need to see more. Questions on his game!
Bust! Overhyped QB!
[Show Results]

Currently would you as the GM give Lawrence a Mega deal?

(01-02-2024, 03:11 PM)jagshype Wrote: Why would Trevor take a deal this year?
I would think he would be advised to wait till next year.

Your cap impact would be low in 2024 allowing for more additions to the team.
A big opportunity for top 3 QB contract offer after the 2024 season, or even in season

Just based on the precedent and standard protocol for any 3rd year QB that shows "franchise QB" ability getting signed on this timeline over the past decade. 

If TL and his team legit want to wait on that payday - I'm fine with it. Will cost more - but the freedom to fix other issues this offseason is def valuable.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just to give some reference to what QB's are getting paid around the league. These are aav based.

1- Burrow- $55m
2- Mahomes- $52.6m
3- Herbert- $52.5m
4- Lamar- $52m
5- Hurts- $51m
6- Russell Wilson - $49m
7- Kyler- $46.1m
8- Watson- $46m
9- Allen- $43m
10- Stafford- $40m
10- Prescott- $40m
10- Daniel Jones- $40m
13- Rodgers- $37.5m
13- Carr- $37.5m
15- Cousins- $35m
16- Goff- $33.5m
17- Tannehill- $29.5m
18- Geno- $25m
19- Jimmy G- $24.25m
20-  Jordan Love- $12.5m
21- Bryce Young- $9.4m
22- Lawrence- $9.1m
23- Stroud- $9m
24- Zach Wilson- $8.7m
25- Tray Lance- $8.5m
26- Richardson- $8.5m
27- Brissett- $8m
28- Tua- $7.5m
29- Heinicke- $7m
30- Trubusky- $5.6m

As you can see with Cousins and Prescott's contracts, $35m-$40m was the bar 4-5 years ago and now its $50m. When guys like Tua, Allen, Prescott, Goff get deals this summer, maybe next, they will all be in the $50m+ bracket.

Here's the thing for the 'team friendly' or those who think we can lowball Lawrence. We don't decide this value, the market decides his value and what other QB's are getting paid. You can be smart with length of contract and bonuses to make the cap easier to work with and move around but it's as simple as pay him what he's worth or someone else will.

We're lucky that Lawrence doesn't strike me as a guy he will demand to be the #1 paid guy but he's going to be in the $50m+ range. You just need to accept that.

He deserves 50m look at our oline he'll be a lot better with more time. Of course he needs to cut turnovers down.
No Fun

(01-02-2024, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: This will be Josh Allen all over again.

Hold off on paying Lawrence now and you’ll end but paying far more than that next year.

Yup, you'd think people would learn...  but nope.

Instead lets not pay Lawrence now and use the excuse that he needs to earn it still. Lets pay him in 2-3 years when it'll be $70m per instead of $50m per. Real smart

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024, 02:33 AM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Man never thought i would see half billion dollar contracts become normal, its getting nuts out there folks.

What were the jags bought for back in 1993 again? 300 million? These guys make that in 6 yrs now.

Yea, yea is what it is...... still.

Just looked it up original cost 208 million if that report was accurate.

(01-03-2024, 12:50 AM)surfon Wrote: Man never thought i would see half billion dollar contracts become normal, its getting nuts out there folks.

What were the jags bought for back in 1993 again?  300 million?  These guys make that in 6 yrs now.

Khan bought the Jags for like $765m in 2012. The Franchise is estimated to be worth around $4 Billion now. The cost of the dollar only goes up.

$20 dollars could buy you quite a bit in 1993. $20 dollars can hardly buy you jack [BLEEP] now.

(01-03-2024, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 12:50 AM)surfon Wrote: Man never thought i would see half billion dollar contracts become normal, its getting nuts out there folks.

What were the jags bought for back in 1993 again?  300 million?  These guys make that in 6 yrs now.

Khan bought the Jags for like $765m in 2012. The Franchise is estimated to be worth around $4 Billion now. The cost of the dollar only goes up.

$20 dollars could buy you quite a bit in 1993. $20 dollars can hardly buy you jack [BLEEP] now.

Correction the value of a dollar only goes down.  J/s, but yea i get your point.  However a fool and his money are soon parted still stands true, as does it takes money to make money.

This in no way way says dont pay Trevor.  Pay da man.

(01-02-2024, 02:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: This will be Josh Allen all over again.

Hold off on paying Lawrence now and you’ll end but paying far more than that next year.

Would rather pay after the fact. Gives you a small window of opportunity to add more pieces around him. He's getting paid regardless. Nobody's going to give a [BLEEP] if Lawrence is making bookoo money when he's advancing this team into an AFC Championship appearance / win and then some. 

They really do need to get this offensive line fixed though. Cannot stress it enough. We'll end up the like the Bengals with Burrow. A nice car sitting in the garage collecting dust because it can't run.

Absolutely right. We cant even protect him now with what we are spending on o line.  How are we going to magically produce a better o line with less money with this GM?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-03-2024, 10:33 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 02:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Would rather pay after the fact. Gives you a small window of opportunity to add more pieces around him. He's getting paid regardless. Nobody's going to give a [BLEEP] if Lawrence is making bookoo money when he's advancing this team into an AFC Championship appearance / win and then some. 

They really do need to get this offensive line fixed though. Cannot stress it enough. We'll end up the like the Bengals with Burrow. A nice car sitting in the garage collecting dust because it can't run.

Absolutely right. We cant even protect him now with what we are spending on o line.  How are we going to magically produce a better o line with less money with this GM?
You realize that if they extend him, they can defer that money a few years right? They can still build the Oline but they at least lock down Lawrence now.

Herbert and Hurts both have a cap hit that's less than Trevor this year even though they signed mega contracts.

(01-03-2024, 10:33 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 02:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Would rather pay after the fact. Gives you a small window of opportunity to add more pieces around him. He's getting paid regardless. Nobody's going to give a [BLEEP] if Lawrence is making bookoo money when he's advancing this team into an AFC Championship appearance / win and then some. 

You guys seem convinced there isn't enough money to sign Lawrence, Allen, and upgrade two pieces of the OL. 

I'm not so convinced. 

If the team and TL decide to put off that deal till next year, that's fine with me, but I don't think signing him now excludes being able to add protection up front. 

They'll have to be creative with money - but we've seen moves around the league over the past few years like this. Teams figure out a way to defer or pay chunks up front to fit everyone under the cap. This scenario doesn't seem impossible to be.

(01-03-2024, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 10:33 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Absolutely right. We cant even protect him now with what we are spending on o line.  How are we going to magically produce a better o line with less money with this GM?

You guys seem convinced there isn't enough money to sign Lawrence, Allen, and upgrade two pieces of the OL. 

I'm not so convinced. 

If the team and TL decide to put off that deal till next year, that's fine with me, but I don't think signing him now excludes being able to add protection up front. 

They'll have to be creative with money - but we've seen moves around the league over the past few years like this. Teams figure out a way to defer or pay chunks up front to fit everyone under the cap. This scenario doesn't seem impossible to be.

I agree it can be done in theory, but im wondering if this GM is capable. Apart from Harrison, hes not been stellar at picking o line. After the national championship game, we may end up picking the Michigan RB #1.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-03-2024, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 10:33 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Absolutely right. We cant even protect him now with what we are spending on o line.  How are we going to magically produce a better o line with less money with this GM?

I'm not so convinced. 

They also have to decide on Ezra Cleveland and Agent Zero. I listed 5 guys before who could be released to make about $66 million in cap space next year, it's certainly within reason to think that they could sign Allen, Cleveland, and Ridley while also adding some bulk to the interior lines this year. I don't think TLaw's deal happens until after next season, they'll restructure and extend instead of the 5th year. Just a feeling.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-02-2024, 04:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just to give some reference to what QB's are getting paid around the league. These are aav based.

1- Burrow- $55m
2- Mahomes- $52.6m
3- Herbert- $52.5m
4- Lamar- $52m
5- Hurts- $51m
6- Russell Wilson - $49m
7- Kyler- $46.1m
8- Watson- $46m
9- Allen- $43m
10- Stafford- $40m
10- Prescott- $40m
10- Daniel Jones- $40m
13- Rodgers- $37.5m
13- Carr- $37.5m
15- Cousins- $35m
16- Goff- $33.5m
17- Tannehill- $29.5m
18- Geno- $25m
19- Jimmy G- $24.25m
20-  Jordan Love- $12.5m
21- Bryce Young- $9.4m
22- Lawrence- $9.1m
23- Stroud- $9m
24- Zach Wilson- $8.7m
25- Tray Lance- $8.5m
26- Richardson- $8.5m
27- Brissett- $8m
28- Tua- $7.5m
29- Heinicke- $7m
30- Trubusky- $5.6m

As you can see with Cousins and Prescott's contracts, $35m-$40m was the bar 4-5 years ago and now its $50m. When guys like Tua, Allen, Prescott, Goff get deals this summer, maybe next, they will all be in the $50m+ bracket.

Here's the thing for the 'team friendly' or those who think we can lowball Lawrence. We don't decide this value, the market decides his value and what other QB's are getting paid. You can be smart with length of contract and bonuses to make the cap easier to work with and move around but it's as simple as pay him what he's worth or someone else will.

We're lucky that Lawrence doesn't strike me as a guy he will demand to be the #1 paid guy but he's going to be in the $50m+ range. You just need to accept that.

The same people who say Lawrence isn't worth a mega deal were saying that about Josh Allen not that long ago.

(01-03-2024, 12:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 04:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just to give some reference to what QB's are getting paid around the league. These are aav based.

1- Burrow- $55m
2- Mahomes- $52.6m
3- Herbert- $52.5m
4- Lamar- $52m
5- Hurts- $51m
6- Russell Wilson - $49m
7- Kyler- $46.1m
8- Watson- $46m
9- Allen- $43m
10- Stafford- $40m
10- Prescott- $40m
10- Daniel Jones- $40m
13- Rodgers- $37.5m
13- Carr- $37.5m
15- Cousins- $35m
16- Goff- $33.5m
17- Tannehill- $29.5m
18- Geno- $25m
19- Jimmy G- $24.25m
20-  Jordan Love- $12.5m
21- Bryce Young- $9.4m
22- Lawrence- $9.1m
23- Stroud- $9m
24- Zach Wilson- $8.7m
25- Tray Lance- $8.5m
26- Richardson- $8.5m
27- Brissett- $8m
28- Tua- $7.5m
29- Heinicke- $7m
30- Trubusky- $5.6m

The same people who say Lawrence isn't worth a mega deal were saying that about Josh Allen not that long ago.

Exactly. Its very much a judged on your last performance league with fans and you can be a superstar or an overrated bust that's easily replaceable. Gets kinda crazy over the course of a season. Maybe only Mahomes is the only player on that list who hasn't been called overpaid or not good enough at some point. I guess it just comes with the job being a QB.

I'm interested to see where players like Tua and Goff end up contract wise. Both had pretty good years, playoff teams, but for some people not a franchise QB but what do you pay them?

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024, 01:51 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

Lock him up long term, especially after waiting 15 years for a true #1 QB.

That said, over the past 3 years my $91 ticket is now priced at $150 heading into next year so I'm not so certain how much I'm willing to spend if these increases continue as my gameday setup at home (during away games) includes the following:

Temp: 70 degrees
Parking: free parking in the driveway
Beer:  $12 for a 6-pack
Food: grilled food made to order
Fans: no opposing fans annoying me
Duration:  Arrive at 12:55pm and am home at 4:00pm

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024, 04:15 PM by Mowerguy. Edited 1 time in total.)

I bet it costs $50 million to fill Khan's yacht....just get it done.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-03-2024, 12:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

1- Burrow- $55m
2- Mahomes- $52.6m
3- Herbert- $52.5m
4- Lamar- $52m
5- Hurts- $51m
6- Russell Wilson - $49m
7- Kyler- $46.1m
8- Watson- $46m
9- Allen- $43m
10- Stafford- $40m
10- Prescott- $40m
10- Daniel Jones- $40m
13- Rodgers- $37.5m
13- Carr- $37.5m
15- Cousins- $35m
16- Goff- $33.5m
17- Tannehill- $29.5m
18- Geno- $25m
19- Jimmy G- $24.25m
20-  Jordan Love- $12.5m
21- Bryce Young- $9.4m
22- Lawrence- $9.1m
23- Stroud- $9m
24- Zach Wilson- $8.7m
25- Tray Lance- $8.5m
26- Richardson- $8.5m
27- Brissett- $8m
28- Tua- $7.5m
29- Heinicke- $7m
30- Trubusky- $5.6m

They're also the same people who were just saying Lamar Jackson isn't any good and wasn't worth a new contract.

(01-03-2024, 08:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 12:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The same people who say Lawrence isn't worth a mega deal were saying that about Josh Allen not that long ago.

They're also the same people who were just saying Lamar Jackson isn't any good and wasn't worth a new contract.

Yeah and there was plenty of us here wanting it to be Lamar Jacksonville before he was drafted.
No Fun

(01-03-2024, 08:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 12:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The same people who say Lawrence isn't worth a mega deal were saying that about Josh Allen not that long ago.

Need to see him not stink it up in the post season. 1 - 3 record. 4 TDs Vs 7 Turnovers.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-03-2024, 04:14 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: I bet it costs $50 million to fill Khan's yacht....just get it done.

Dang ..... you got me curious about the fuel expense for that thing so I googled it -- see below.   WOW !!!

How much does it cost to fill up a 100 foot yacht?

The superyacht has an estimated capacity of 1,000,049 liters of fuel (220,000 gallons) and TheYachtMogul claims the vessel got a 500,000-liter refill, which, for an average price of $3 per liter, would bring the total cost up to $1,500,000.