Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Time to give Lawrence that major deal?
YES! Sign him and lock him up! He is the Franchise!
Not Yet! I need to see more. Questions on his game!
Bust! Overhyped QB!
[Show Results]

Currently would you as the GM give Lawrence a Mega deal?

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 01:37 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 3 times in total.)

Many including myself thought that after this season it would be time to give Lawrence that huge extension. For Me, I say no at the present time.

Lawrence has all the potential and talent in the world. If we are being unbiased, it has not translated on the field. In 15 games he has 19 passing TDs. Lawrence also leads the league on turnovers with 19.  I know that many of the Lawrence defense force points out because "x receiver drops balls is why his numbers are low." I call BS on that. Every team in the NFL have receivers that drops balls. I watch redzone and see it all the time. It is part of the game.  I still see a QB who lacks a soft touch when throwing the ball, a QB who misses receivers much more often than elite QBs do, Miss open receivers to the point the broadcasters during the game are calling him out on it, just overall a bi-polar QB level of play.  For every positive trait of Lawrence I can give you a negative. Reminds me of Favre who at one time had the most TDs but also had the most INT's.  I do not see in Lawrence that Dawg of a QB who can carry a team. Could he become that guy?  Sure but not at the present time.

So the Question: Do you feel comfortable investing around 30-50% of the team's yearly salary cap on Trevor Lawrence?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd love to give him a team friendly extension based on his very mediocre play.. then revisit in a few years to see if he's worth a mega deal.

(01-01-2024, 01:51 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Many including myself thought that after this season it would be time to give Lawrence that huge extension. To me it is a big no for me at the present time.

Lawrence has all the potential and talent in the world. If we are being unbiased, it has not translated on the field. In 15 games he has 19 passing TDs in 15 games. Lawrence also leads the league in turnovers in 19.  I know that many of the Lawrence defense force points out because "x receiver drops balls is why his numbers are low." I call BS on that. Every team in the NFL have receivers that drops balls. I watch redzone and see it all the times. It is part of the game.  I still see a QB who lacks a soft touch when throwing the ball, a QB who misses receivers much more than elite QBs do, Miss open receivers to the point the broadcasters during the game are calling him out on it, just overall a bi-polar QB level of play.  For every positive trait of Lawrence I can give you a negative. Reminds me of Favre who at one time had the most TDs but also had the most INT's.  I do not see in Lawrence that Dawg of a QB who can carry a team. Could he become that guy?  Sure but not at the present time.

So the Question: Do you feel comfortable investing around 30-50% of the team's yearly salary cap on Trevor Lawrence?
Fair take.

Also doesn't help the fact that this play calling has been garbage all year.

Lawrence has regressed and its time to move on from Press Taylor as a play caller and fire Doug if he is unwilling to let him go.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2024, 01:55 PM by EricC85.)

I never understood the argument to extend him in year 3, we have a 5th year option we can use he's not going anywhere unless we want him to. At the end of year 4 is the time to evaluate it.

(01-01-2024, 01:53 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 01:51 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Many including myself thought that after this season it would be time to give Lawrence that huge extension. To me it is a big no for me at the present time.

Lawrence has all the potential and talent in the world. If we are being unbiased, it has not translated on the field. In 15 games he has 19 passing TDs in 15 games. Lawrence also leads the league in turnovers in 19.  I know that many of the Lawrence defense force points out because "x receiver drops balls is why his numbers are low." I call BS on that. Every team in the NFL have receivers that drops balls. I watch redzone and see it all the times. It is part of the game.  I still see a QB who lacks a soft touch when throwing the ball, a QB who misses receivers much more than elite QBs do, Miss open receivers to the point the broadcasters during the game are calling him out on it, just overall a bi-polar QB level of play.  For every positive trait of Lawrence I can give you a negative. Reminds me of Favre who at one time had the most TDs but also had the most INT's.  I do not see in Lawrence that Dawg of a QB who can carry a team. Could he become that guy?  Sure but not at the present time.

Fair take.

Lawrence has regressed and its time to move on from Press Taylor as a play caller and fire Doug if he is unwilling to let him go.

Fire Doug? Careful you're troll is showing.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(01-01-2024, 01:54 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I never understood the argument to extend him in year 3, we have a 5th year option we can use he's not going anywhere unless we want him to. At the end of year 4 is the time to evaluate it.

The idea is to get them cheaper. Like if we gave Josh Allen his extension last year he would be much cheaper than the one we now have to negotiate after his monster year.

He's going to get a mega deal.

The question in my mind is will this owner and FO attempt to use this season's struggles from Lawrence as leverage to shave off 20 or 30 million or do you just pay him what you think he's really going to be worth to this franchise in the coming years?

Personally - I think that if you give Lawrence the 16th best OL in the league instead of the 32nd, he might still not be perfect, but he'll be much, much better. So I don't have much trepidation associated with paying him big money.

Whatever they do - I hope it is a long term deal so they can move money around in resructures easily to maintain the roster.

Personally I wouldn’t give him a huge deal. He has had more than enough talent at TE and receiver to put up much better numbers than he has. Fumbling still remains a huge issue. The majority of our losses the last 2 seasons are solely due to him turning the ball over. His decision making is also questionable.

I think it’s 50/50 if he can sort those issues. I think it’s far too big a risk given his current play to tie up that level of cap for the long term.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2024, 02:43 PM by CanDoBetter.)

You knind of have to give him a deal now. Not doing so shows everyone you don't really see him as the future. He needs to be extended latest around Week 1 next season. A couple of weeks delay is possible.

I don't think he's shown he deserves to be the hightest paid QB though. I know the logic is such and it will happen. I'm hoping the team adds as much bonuses to the contract as possible to make sure Trevor is paid for his performance.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2024, 02:56 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

Lawrence is currently the 22nd highest paid QB in the NFL. He probably gets something between
Justin Herbert $52.5 5 years $262.5m and Josh Allen $43m 6 years $258m

Probably something like $42m/5 years $230m which would put him as the 8th highest paid QB.

Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, and Matt Stafford are at $40m 4 years $160m, which puts them as the 10th highest paid QBs in the NFL.

To answer the question, yes. The overall culture of this franchise has changed. The Jaguars are relevant again like back in the mid to late 1990’s, winning division titles and making playoff pushes.

NFL contracts are based on what you can do for a franchise in the future. Trevor Lawrence is the only QB in franchise history to start their Jaguars career with 3500 yards passing yards in the first 3 seasons.

If the Jaguars make the playoffs next week, Lawrence will join Mark Brunell as the only QBs in franchise history to lead the franchise to the playoffs twice in their first 3 seasons as the starting QB.

If Lawrence plays in next weeks game, he has a chance to be the first player in Jaguars history to start their career with 3 straight seasons of 4,000 yards passing, with guys like Ben Bartch blocking for him.

Lawrence has made a Pro Bowl and was a league MVP candidate in 2022, and was part of NFL history in the Chargers playoff game with the 3rd largest comeback in NFL playoff history.

Him and Doug have a great Head Coach/QB relationship. He also appears to have great chemistry with Christian Kirk, Engram, Travis Etienne, Jamal Agnew, and Zay Jones even though he’s been hurt most of the season.

Trevor Lawrence is the face of the franchise for years to come. He’s got a chance of being a Jaguars all-time great.

Yes
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2024, 02:57 PM by Jaguar Warrior. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-01-2024, 01:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's going to get a mega deal.

The question in my mind is will this owner and FO attempt to use this season's struggles from Lawrence as leverage to shave off 20 or 30 million or do you just pay him what you think he's really going to be worth to this franchise in the coming years?

Personally - I think that if you give Lawrence the 16th best OL in the league instead of the 32nd, he might still not be perfect, but he'll be much, much better. So I don't have much trepidation associated with paying him big money.

Whatever they do - I hope it is a long term deal so they can move money around in resructures easily to maintain the roster.

The 16th best OLine will cost us. So if we have the highest paid QB, and a high paid OLine, other pieces will suffer (receivers, defense, etc). 

So then the question becomes two fold:

1. Will our scouting teams, coaches, and GM be able to find and develop talent knowing they can't buy stars at those positions. 
2. Will Trevor and a quality OLine be enough to take us to the promised land.

Our scouting team and GM have so far proven to be fairly poor at doing point 1. I don't know if we've seen Trevor with a average-to-great OLine to make a true determination on point 2. Ultimately means paying Trevor megabucks has a decent sized risk associated with it.

(01-01-2024, 01:53 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:

Fair take.

Moving in on Carp's territory? Find your own patsy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-01-2024, 02:56 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 01:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's going to get a mega deal.

The 16th best OLine will cost us. So if we have the highest paid QB, and a high paid OLine, other pieces will suffer (Receivers, defense, etc). 

So then the question becomes two fold:

1. Will our scouting teams, coaches, and GM be able to find and develop talent knowing they can't buy stars at those positions. 
2. Will Trevor and a quality OLine be enough to take us to the promised land.

Our scouting team and GM have so far proven to be fairly poor at doing point 1. I don't know if we've seen Trevor with a average-to-great OLine to make a true determination on point 2. Ultimately means paying Trevor megabucks has a decent sized risk associated with it.

1. Every franchise has a necessity to draft and develop if they are to maintain any window of competitiveness.
I don't know if our scouts and manager are good enough to pull it off or not, but all I can do as a fan is hope that they or their potential replacements get it right. We are 3 years in with this GM, so the past two drafts are still very much inconclusive in terms of overall success. I do question Baalke's sense of positional value though. If he makes up for that by getting the OL fixed this offseason, I can sort of tolerate it without calling for the tar and feathers I guess. 

2. I think so.

(01-01-2024, 01:53 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'd love to give him a team friendly extension based on his very mediocre play.. then revisit in a few years to see if he's worth a mega deal.

Exactly, because QBs stay young forever.

I would give him top 10 money now, but not top 3 money. If he makes the playoffs and wins a few games, that could change.

If we make a run in the playoffs with Zay and Kirk back then yes

If we don’t, then we either pay him top 10 money or wait till the following year (of course if we wait, it’ll be mo $$$$)

(01-01-2024, 01:54 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I never understood the argument to extend him in year 3, we have a 5th year option we can use he's not going anywhere unless we want him to. At the end of year 4 is the time to evaluate it.

(01-01-2024, 01:53 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Fair take.

Fire Doug? Careful you're troll is showing.

Aside from the SB year - Doug has been a mediocre coach, record speak for itself -- in all honesty if it wasnt that one year he won the SB champ - would he had a second chance at a HC job? Probably not.

Pay him now. He only gets more expensive.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This was the easiest poll question ever! Of course you give him a mega deal. Not saying he should get more than Mahomes or Burrow, but I have seen enough to give him a top 5-7 quarterback contract. As someone said, the longer you wait, the more it will cost.

My reasons are the same as indicated by JagFanatic 24. We have seen he is capable of making every throw, has the toughness you love in a starting q.b. and is a leader respected by teammates. Add in his work ethic and competitive drive and it's a no-brainer. For those who are skeptical due to his turnovers, I get it. He has had a bad season statistically, especially compared to the 2nd half of last season. I seriously doubt there is any quarterback with 2 leg injuries compounded by a concussion and horrible offensive line that would thrive. As far as his ability to bounce back, all one has to do is watch the playoff victory against the Chargers. Once he gets healthy and Baalke gets him help on the offensive line, he will significantly cut back on the turnovers and reach the potential everyone spoke of when he was drafted.

Obviously, it would not be 30-50% of the team's salary cap.