Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 Free Agents- Who do you keep, who do you let walk

Ezra and D'Ernest are going to cost too much...or I'd bring them back.

I still haven't heard it confirmed that we can franchise Ridley and still keep the 2nd round pick.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2024, 12:38 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Ezra and D'Ernest are going to cost too much...or I'd bring them back.

I still haven't heard it confirmed that we can franchise Ridley and still keep the 2nd round pick.

D'Ernest Johnson can probably be had for 2-3 mil per year with incentives. FA running backs are cheaper than they've ever been in the NFL's recent history.

(01-17-2024, 12:38 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Ezra and D'Ernest are going to cost too much...or I'd bring them back.

I heard that Ezra didn't pass the eye test he should of passed so he'll be cheap as dirt.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's been confirmed on several sites that the Jags can keep the 2nd rounder if they use the franchise tag.

(01-17-2024, 07:03 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:

It's been confirmed on several sites that the Jags can keep the 2nd rounder if they use the franchise tag.

Unfortunately using the tag on Ridley adds risk to Allen hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t get too excited about the tag being used on Ridley just yet.

I'll be happy just to see Herndon walk tbh.

Jokes aside tho, we need some OL pieces in FA.. rookies aren't gonna all hit, and we can't afford to waste another season with poor OL play. Regardless of how I feel of Lawrence, it's pretty obvious how limited the entire offense is because of their poor play.

(01-17-2024, 12:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:29 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So looking at our upcoming coming FA'S. We currently have $12.9m in cap to spend but none of these players are included with that cap figure so would need to be resigned using the $12.9m and/or more cuts/restructure of other contracts.

Our upcoming FA'S are 

Josh Allen 
Agnew
Smoot
Chaisson
Ridley
Herndon
Shatley
McManus
Ezra Cleveland 
D'Ernest Johnson

Then we have those bottom of the roster players

Hence
Shaq Quarterman
Van Lanen
Daniel Thomas
Tim Jones 
Claybrooke
Gregory Junior.

There's some very tough decisions on that list. Josh is a must sign and would be nice not to have to franchise tag him. I'd like to keep Agnew but it would need to be a team friendly deal. Smoot is a tough competitor and a good depth option, I'd like to keep Cleveland but not sure what he'd be after money wise.

Herndon is a tough one. I'm not his biggest fan but could be good to have as a 4th/5th CB on the depth chart but it would need to be a team friendly deal and I think we can find an improvement in the draft. McManus was doing well until his late season collapse.

Ridley is the big question mark. You'd need to cut or restructure a few probably to keep him and I have no idea what kind of money he would expect. I'd be interested to hear the coaches and Trevors opinions from working with him everyday as on gameday he's been very up and down.

So who you keeping and who you showing the door?

I already did this in the "you're the GM" thread but this thread is getting more action, so...

Josh Allen - sign to a mega deal
Agnew - let him walk - love the player and return ability but Washington plus a late rounder can compete
Smoot -  Love the work ethic - but we need to revamp the interior and the edge depth - aim higher
Chaisson - bye
Ridley - tag or sign to bargain incentive laden deal
Herndon - bye - new DC incoming - time to give that guy what he needs in the secondary
Shatley - bye - should have been gone after 2022
McManus - sign cheaply to 1 year deal - add a UDFA and let them battle in camp
Ezra Cleveland - I'd sign as cheaply as possible and add a draft pick 
D'Ernest Johnson - give him a 2 year deal just over vet minimum - quality depth with ST ability - saw some excellent screen plays from him in 2023

Hance

Shaq Quarterman
Van Lanen
Daniel Thomas
Tim Jones 
Claybrooke
Gregory Junior.

We can do better than all these guys. 
Claybrooks is our best gunner on ST - but offers nothing elsewhere
Thomas is a decent but not good backup safety who is good on ST, not great - prolly upgradeable but ST coach may fight to retain him
Junior may be eligible for a RFA deal cheaply - let new DC decide

Junior is an ERFA.  If I understand the rules correctly, we can have Junior for the league minimum for a second year player.  I think it's an easy decision to bring him back.

(01-17-2024, 07:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:03 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It's been confirmed on several sites that the Jags can keep the 2nd rounder if they use the franchise tag.

Unfortunately using the tag on Ridley adds risk to Allen hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t get too excited about the tag being used on Ridley just yet.

The tag on Ridley.  IF they tag him AND he signs it, (before the league new year?) that could trigger the upgrade from 3rd to 2nd going to Atlanta.  It would be after all an extension?  Not sure, but who knows.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-17-2024, 10:11 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 12:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I already did this in the "you're the GM" thread but this thread is getting more action, so...

Josh Allen - sign to a mega deal
Agnew - let him walk - love the player and return ability but Washington plus a late rounder can compete
Smoot -  Love the work ethic - but we need to revamp the interior and the edge depth - aim higher
Chaisson - bye
Ridley - tag or sign to bargain incentive laden deal
Herndon - bye - new DC incoming - time to give that guy what he needs in the secondary
Shatley - bye - should have been gone after 2022
McManus - sign cheaply to 1 year deal - add a UDFA and let them battle in camp
Ezra Cleveland - I'd sign as cheaply as possible and add a draft pick 
D'Ernest Johnson - give him a 2 year deal just over vet minimum - quality depth with ST ability - saw some excellent screen plays from him in 2023

Hance

Shaq Quarterman
Van Lanen
Daniel Thomas
Tim Jones 
Claybrooke
Gregory Junior.

We can do better than all these guys. 
Claybrooks is our best gunner on ST - but offers nothing elsewhere
Thomas is a decent but not good backup safety who is good on ST, not great - prolly upgradeable but ST coach may fight to retain him
Junior may be eligible for a RFA deal cheaply - let new DC decide

Junior is an ERFA.  If I understand the rules correctly, we can have Junior for the league minimum for a second year player.  I think it's an easy decision to bring him back.

Kinda figured 
Thanks for confirming

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 11:15 PM by navyjagfan.)

(01-17-2024, 07:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:03 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It's been confirmed on several sites that the Jags can keep the 2nd rounder if they use the franchise tag.

The Jags can create enough cap space by cutting Robinson and Scherff to sign Allen to a long-term contract and place the franchise tag on Ridley.

(01-17-2024, 10:20 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Unfortunately using the tag on Ridley adds risk to Allen hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t get too excited about the tag being used on Ridley just yet.

The tag on Ridley.  IF they tag him AND he signs it, (before the league new year?) that could trigger the upgrade from 3rd to 2nd going to Atlanta.  It would be after all an extension?  Not sure, but who knows.

It's already been reported several times that the franchise tag does NOT trigger the 2nd rounder, even if Ridley signs it.

(01-17-2024, 11:14 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 07:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Unfortunately using the tag on Ridley adds risk to Allen hitting free agency.  I wouldn’t get too excited about the tag being used on Ridley just yet.

The Jags can create enough cap space by cutting Robinson and Scherff to sign Allen to a long-term contract and place the franchise tag on Ridley.

(01-17-2024, 10:20 PM)Jag149 Wrote: The tag on Ridley.  IF they tag him AND he signs it, (before the league new year?) that could trigger the upgrade from 3rd to 2nd going to Atlanta.  It would be after all an extension?  Not sure, but who knows.

It's already been reported several times that the franchise tag does NOT trigger the 2nd rounder, even if Ridley signs it.

I think the only clause here is that it must happen post June 1 - and the franchise tag deadline is July 17

So... doable

Tagged and only a third given up - if they so choose

(01-17-2024, 11:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 11:14 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: The Jags can create enough cap space by cutting Robinson and Scherff to sign Allen to a long-term contract and place the franchise tag on Ridley.

I think the only clause here is that it must happen post June 1 - and the franchise tag deadline is July 17

So... doable

Correct.  And the reality is that if the Jags don't tag him and let Ridley walk in free agency, they will likely recoup the 3rd round pick as a compensatory pick in the 2025 draft.  

But signing Josh Allen and putting the franchise tag on Ridley is the best choice.

(01-18-2024, 01:04 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 11:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think the only clause here is that it must happen post June 1 - and the franchise tag deadline is July 17

So... doable

Correct.  And the reality is that if the Jags don't tag him and let Ridley walk in free agency, they will likely recoup the 3rd round pick as a compensatory pick in the 2025 draft.  

But signing Josh Allen and putting the franchise tag on Ridley is the best choice.

agreed

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2024, 07:08 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-18-2024, 01:04 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 11:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think the only clause here is that it must happen post June 1 - and the franchise tag deadline is July 17

So... doable

That's if we don't do anything in FA.  Which I think we make a few moves

0% chance the Jags sign Ridley that triggers the 2nd round pick.

It would be beyond foolish to sign Ridley to a big contract AND give up a 2nd round pick. They’ll work around it.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2024, 03:56 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-17-2024, 11:14 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:

(01-17-2024, 10:20 PM)Jag149 Wrote: The tag on Ridley.  IF they tag him AND he signs it, (before the league new year?) that could trigger the upgrade from 3rd to 2nd going to Atlanta.  It would be after all an extension?  Not sure, but who knows.

Josh is getting tagged.  The Jags can no longer exclusively negotiate with either now that the regular season is over with and both are slated to hit free agency as UFA's.  You can only keep one from hitting free agency with the tag and you have to make the decision on whom to tag between February 20th and March 5th.  Free agency technically starts on the 13th at which point free agents can negotiate with any team, though, the legal tampering period begins two days earlier which is now effectively the beginning of free agency.  So, there's no way to tag Ridley and guarantee you re-sign Allen.  One or the other will be hitting free agency and it should be pretty obvious which one that will be.

The July 17th deadline is for when franchise tagged players must have signed their multi-year extension by or they will be playing the year out on the tag. The deadline creates pressure for the player to sign as most would not want to take on the risk of injury.

This should answer the trade compensation on Ridley as well. We didn't sign him during the season so it will be a 3rd rounder based on the other qualifiers in the deal and he'll hit free agency. Maybe we sign him, maybe we don't. The chance he gets tagged given Allen's pending free agency is miniscule though.

(01-18-2024, 03:46 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 11:14 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: The Jags can create enough cap space by cutting Robinson and Scherff to sign Allen to a long-term contract and place the franchise tag on Ridley.

Josh is getting tagged.  The Jags can no longer exclusively negotiate with either now that the regular season is over with and both are slated to hit free agency as UFA's.  You can only keep one from hitting free agency with the tag and you have to make the decision on whom to tag between February 20th and March 5th.  Free agency technically starts on the 13th at which point free agents can negotiate with any team, though, the legal tampering period begins two days earlier which is now effectively the beginning of free agency.  So, there's no way to tag Ridley and guarantee you re-sign Allen.  One or the other will be hitting free agency and it should be pretty obvious which one that will be.

They'd have to get Allen signed before the tag window opens in a few weeks. 

Do-able - but not simple or guaranteed. 

Tagging Allen until the deal gets done is the safest path to retaining him if they don't come to terms quickly.

(01-18-2024, 03:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 03:46 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Josh is getting tagged.  The Jags can no longer exclusively negotiate with either now that the regular season is over with and both are slated to hit free agency as UFA's.  You can only keep one from hitting free agency with the tag and you have to make the decision on whom to tag between February 20th and March 5th.  Free agency technically starts on the 13th at which point free agents can negotiate with any team, though, the legal tampering period begins two days earlier which is now effectively the beginning of free agency.  So, there's no way to tag Ridley and guarantee you re-sign Allen.  One or the other will be hitting free agency and it should be pretty obvious which one that will be.

They'd have to get Allen signed before the tag window opens in a few weeks. 

Tagging Allen until the deal gets done is the safest path to retaining him if they don't come to terms quickly.

I'm not sure that's true.  Even so, why would a player on the cusp of free agency forfeit that opportunity to test it with less than 2 months to go and no risk of injury?  The overwhelming majority would not.  He's gonna get tagged.  There's no reason for him to sign a deal prior to free agency unless he is compelled to exclusively negotiate by the tag.

(01-18-2024, 04:03 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 03:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They'd have to get Allen signed before the tag window opens in a few weeks. 

I'm not sure that's true.  Even so, why would a player on the cusp of free agency forfeit that opportunity to test it with less than 2 months to go and no risk of injury?  The overwhelming majority would not.  He's gonna get tagged.  There's no reason for him to sign a deal prior to free agency unless he is compelled to exclusively negotiate by the tag.

If the Jags offer him a deal he likes before the Tag window opens he can sign it. 

There's no unwritten law that he must wait and entertain other offers.  It would mean a blockbuster deal, but that is what is expected in this scenario anyway.

I've heard some NFL beat writers floating this posiibility - or I may not have even thought of it. I can't tell you the likelihood, but it makes sense on paper.

Our upcoming FA'S are 

Josh Allen 
Agnew
Smoot
Chaisson
Ridley
Herndon
Shatley
McManus
Ezra Cleveland 
D'Ernest Johnson

1.  I'd love to keep Agnew on a sweetheart deal.  With his injury, I think we can get a good deal done.

2.  Say goodbye to Chaisson, Herndon, Shatley, and Smoot.

3.  Discount deals for Cleveland, Johnson, and McManus.  Bring in competition for McManus and Cleveland.  I kinda think Johnson is gonna get better next year.  He's a bruising RB that our offensive coaching staff failed to recognize his full potential.

4.  You pay Allen top 5 Edge Rusher $.  Yes, Allen can sack QBs at a high clip.  But he also can get washed out and go invisible against other comparable Edge Rushers.  He's worthy of money.  You can't let him walk.  But he's not worth #1 or even #2 top money for his position and total productivity.

5.  Ridley isn't worth a 2nd round pick.  We have so many needs and we have actual stars at WR and TE.  Injuries to Kirk, Zay, and Agnew just as he was emerging makes me thing that Ridley was a luxury that came up snake eyes.  The fact that our offense was so focused on Ridley this year which proved to be pathetic makes me wonder if maybe Ridley's hype was not worth the reality.  Or... Maybe our game plan was so stupid that we had to try and feed a player that isn't capable of being a true #1 WR.  At least with Kirk and Zay Jones, we have 2 really strong WRs that don't mess up routes and have a great chemistry with Lawrence.