Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

(04-15-2024, 08:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Watched the Fallout series on Amazon Prime. Just finished the season finale yesterday. Really dig the show. Stays true to the elements to a tee with the videogame series. Does a good job of bouncing and balancing between the main three characters and it did a good job filling in the blanks, speeding up the back history and lore of each main player.

Looking forward to season two for sure. If you're into the videogame you should like this show for sure. If you're into syfy in general you'll probably like this show. Has a little bit of every element you could think of in my opinion. Serious tones. Humor. A little campy. But, all in all, I think they nailed the first season for me personally.

It was really well done.  I've played Fallouts 1-4 and New Vegas (never played Fallout: Tactics or the most recent one that got so much [BLEEP] when it came out) and so a lot of what the show revealed was going on you might already know or have an inkling in the direction it was going to go.  Goggins was fantastic playing the Ghoul.  The finale was very satisfying and left enough meat on the bone for season 2 and beyond.  I was not expecting it to be as good as it ended up being.  I thought it was really well written.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 11:12 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(04-15-2024, 01:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 10:16 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: We started watching it, on episode 3. I had played Fallout back in the day so was interested. It seems a bit different than I remember (I was looking forward to how the cryogenic tanks looked darnit) although it does capture a lot of the general style/attitude of the game including the campy humor. Overall I'm enjoying it so far.

I laughed when the officer from another county said, "You can call me Medium Brown". ;-)

It gets better. Everything starts to unfold and it really picks up the pace towards Ep. 7 and the finale. Between The Ghoul, Maximus and Lucy, they have done a good job capturing the essence of what the game feels like to me. The Brotherhood of Steel, the aspects of being a Ghoul and how some of them can predate the actual fallout and Wars, and then Lucy, as a vault dweller. They got all of it right in my opinion. 

I never played the OG games before the company buyout but I played Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. This is geared more towards out west in California it looks like. I hope they can keep this series going for years to come. There's a ton of different locations, states and cities they can do this over and over with if they want to. Makes me want to dust off Fallout 4 now and play it on my PS5.

Yeah when they mentioned the community of Shady Sands I was like hey wait that's in the games.  I had to google which game it was in because I had forgotten that it was in part 1 and part 2 which part 1 came out in 1997, so it had been a while since I'd played those.  Also, when Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise in 2007 they changed the Brotherhood of Steel which is explained in game and in the show.  The leader of the Brotherhood proposing to Maximus that they start a new Brotherhood is the beginning of that arc I believe.  That new Brotherhood heads east and is the Brotherhood you know from Fallout 3 and 4.  The Brotherhood in parts 1 and 2 was very mysterious and wouldn't have had squires running with their armored knights in my opinion.  They didn't quite capture the Fallout 1 and 2 Brotherhood in this show, but this show was created in part by Bethesda who had no part in making Fallout 1 or 2 so they kinda tip their hat at it by referencing the change but made no real effort to get it right by 1 & 2's standards.  Great show regardless and not really a gripe just stating the fact.

Shogun is fantastic as well as mentioned further up.

(04-17-2024, 10:58 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 08:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Watched the Fallout series on Amazon Prime. Just finished the season finale yesterday. Really dig the show. Stays true to the elements to a tee with the videogame series. Does a good job of bouncing and balancing between the main three characters and it did a good job filling in the blanks, speeding up the back history and lore of each main player.

Looking forward to season two for sure. If you're into the videogame you should like this show for sure. If you're into syfy in general you'll probably like this show. Has a little bit of every element you could think of in my opinion. Serious tones. Humor. A little campy. But, all in all, I think they nailed the first season for me personally.

It was really well done.  I've played Fallouts 1-4 and New Vegas (never played Fallout: Tactics or the most recent one that got so much [BLEEP] when it came out) and so a lot of what the show revealed was going on you might already know or have an inkling in the direction it was going to go.  Goggins was fantastic playing the Ghoul.  The finale was very satisfying and left enough meat on the bone for season 2 and beyond.  I was not expecting it to be as good as it ended up being.  I thought it was really well written.

I know I need to go back and try out Fallout: New Vegas. That's often the most coveted or sought after game of the series from most fans. Fallout 76 was a mess from what I remember on launch date. Maybe too ambitious. It was supposed to be a multiplayer MMO type of game. I never played it. 

Goggins nailed the Ghoul role. I can't see anybody playing that role now. From the draw, to the walk, to being able to show deadeyes behind the makeup. He's a perfect actor for this world and that character. Looking forward to who else they introduce next season acting wise. 

(04-17-2024, 11:07 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 01:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It gets better. Everything starts to unfold and it really picks up the pace towards Ep. 7 and the finale. Between The Ghoul, Maximus and Lucy, they have done a good job capturing the essence of what the game feels like to me. The Brotherhood of Steel, the aspects of being a Ghoul and how some of them can predate the actual fallout and Wars, and then Lucy, as a vault dweller. They got all of it right in my opinion. 

I never played the OG games before the company buyout but I played Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. This is geared more towards out west in California it looks like. I hope they can keep this series going for years to come. There's a ton of different locations, states and cities they can do this over and over with if they want to. Makes me want to dust off Fallout 4 now and play it on my PS5.

Yeah when they mentioned the community of Shady Sands I was like hey wait that's in the games.  I had to google which game it was in because I had forgotten that it was in part 1 and part 2 which part 1 came out in 1997, so it had been a while since I'd played those.  Also, when Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise in 2007 they changed the Brotherhood of Steel which is explained in game and in the show.  The leader of the Brotherhood proposing to Maximus that they start a new Brotherhood is the beginning of that arc I believe.  That new Brotherhood heads east and is the Brotherhood you know from Fallout 3 and 4.  The Brotherhood in parts 1 and 2 was very mysterious and wouldn't have had squires running with their armored knights in my opinion.  They didn't quite capture the Fallout 1 and 2 Brotherhood in this show, but this show was created in part by Bethesda who had no part in making Fallout 1 or 2 so they kinda tip their hat at it by referencing the change but made no real effort to get it right by 1 & 2's standards.  Great show regardless and not really a gripe just stating the fact.

I like Maximus as a character. Felt like he showed a lot of depth and layers to being ambitious but also having enough humanity left in him to balance out right from wrong at times. The whole game and universe is based on a lot of scenarios that rely on a game of playing chicken, deception and calling one's bluff. 

Maximus is pretty much playing it all out accordingly. He's what I would consider more of a chaotic neutral character Vs. chaotic good. Aaron Moten does a great job acting this character out though. From the very beginning I was interested in him. He's well rounded, can flip either way down the road in my opinion alliance and loyalty wise. 

Bethesda might have something here though if they can keep it simple and yet engaging story wise. I think a lot of modern shows do too much with trying to ham the camera up with too many faces. By keeping the story focused on three main characters that all ended up sharing screen time in various points throughout the season. 

It should make season two even better with that formula.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-17-2024, 01:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 10:58 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It was really well done.  I've played Fallouts 1-4 and New Vegas (never played Fallout: Tactics or the most recent one that got so much [BLEEP] when it came out) and so a lot of what the show revealed was going on you might already know or have an inkling in the direction it was going to go.  Goggins was fantastic playing the Ghoul.  The finale was very satisfying and left enough meat on the bone for season 2 and beyond.  I was not expecting it to be as good as it ended up being.  I thought it was really well written.

I know I need to go back and try out Fallout: New Vegas. That's often the most coveted or sought after game of the series from most fans. Fallout 76 was a mess from what I remember on launch date. Maybe too ambitious. It was supposed to be a multiplayer MMO type of game. I never played it. 

Goggins nailed the Ghoul role. I can't see anybody playing that role now. From the draw, to the walk, to being able to show deadeyes behind the makeup. He's a perfect actor for this world and that character. Looking forward to who else they introduce next season acting wise. 

(04-17-2024, 11:07 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Yeah when they mentioned the community of Shady Sands I was like hey wait that's in the games.  I had to google which game it was in because I had forgotten that it was in part 1 and part 2 which part 1 came out in 1997, so it had been a while since I'd played those.  Also, when Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise in 2007 they changed the Brotherhood of Steel which is explained in game and in the show.  The leader of the Brotherhood proposing to Maximus that they start a new Brotherhood is the beginning of that arc I believe.  That new Brotherhood heads east and is the Brotherhood you know from Fallout 3 and 4.  The Brotherhood in parts 1 and 2 was very mysterious and wouldn't have had squires running with their armored knights in my opinion.  They didn't quite capture the Fallout 1 and 2 Brotherhood in this show, but this show was created in part by Bethesda who had no part in making Fallout 1 or 2 so they kinda tip their hat at it by referencing the change but made no real effort to get it right by 1 & 2's standards.  Great show regardless and not really a gripe just stating the fact.

I like Maximus as a character. Felt like he showed a lot of depth and layers to being ambitious but also having enough humanity left in him to balance out right from wrong at times. The whole game and universe is based on a lot of scenarios that rely on a game of playing chicken, deception and calling one's bluff. 

Maximus is pretty much playing it all out accordingly. He's what I would consider more of a chaotic neutral character Vs. chaotic good. Aaron Moten does a great job acting this character out though. From the very beginning I was interested in him. He's well rounded, can flip either way down the road in my opinion alliance and loyalty wise. 

Bethesda might have something here though if they can keep it simple and yet engaging story wise. I think a lot of modern shows do too much with trying to ham the camera up with too many faces. By keeping the story focused on three main characters that all ended up sharing screen time in various points throughout the season. 

It should make season two even better with that formula.

Yeah the writing was great, albeit, the story probably deserved another 2 episodes.  It seems to me like reaching your primary objective in 8 episodes feels a tad rushed even if your primary objective becomes less clear once reached.  (Sorry, writing it to try not release any spoilers for those that haven't watched yet.)  I would imagine season 2 to be 10 or 12 episodes considering how well received this season was.

Though, you gotta love Hollywood being Hollywood with the political bent on the cause of the current state of their world.

Never played Fallout before, but the series [BLEEP] ROCKS!!

Makes me wanna try it..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(04-18-2024, 12:00 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Never played Fallout before, but the series [BLEEP] ROCKS!!

Makes me wanna try it..

It's great, but vastly different from most.

RPG + FPS + Settlement Building in the case of Fallout 4. 

This show is a godsend because after 7 [BLEEP] Resident Evil movies its great to see people give a crap about the actual game. Best video game adaptation ever.

(04-18-2024, 02:41 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 12:00 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Never played Fallout before, but the series [BLEEP] ROCKS!!

Makes me wanna try it..

It's great, but vastly different from most.

This show is a godsend because after 7 [BLEEP] Resident Evil movies its great to see people give a crap about the actual game. Best video game adaptation ever.

I only ever played Fallout 4 but I like the show even though it seems a lot different to me. But there is an entire Fallout-verse that goes way beyond 4 that I’ve been learning about. Pretty cool. BTW, I think Halo is a pretty good adaptation of that ga it goes in its own direction by expanding several characters quite a bit.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-18-2024, 03:14 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:41 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: It's great, but vastly different from most.

I only ever played Fallout 4 but I like the show even though it seems a lot different to me. But there is an entire Fallout-verse that goes way beyond 4 that I’ve been learning about. Pretty cool. BTW, I think Halo is a pretty good adaptation of that ga it goes in its own direction by expanding several characters quite a bit.

The West Coast had a functioning government for a while based on Fallouts 1 and 2 and New Vegas. The Commonwealth (4) never had that. That's probably the difference. Plus this takes place 9 years after Fallout 4

(04-18-2024, 03:14 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:41 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: It's great, but vastly different from most.

Yeah I started watching Halo after seeing you talk about it here earlier in the year.  It was good enough in season 1 to keep my interest, but I thought there were some weak points in the writing.  Season 2 was awesome though.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 04:59 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 3 times in total.)

(04-18-2024, 04:13 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 03:14 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I only ever played Fallout 4 but I like the show even though it seems a lot different to me. But there is an entire Fallout-verse that goes way beyond 4 that I’ve been learning about. Pretty cool. BTW, I think Halo is a pretty good adaptation of that ga it goes in its own direction by expanding several characters quite a bit.

The West Coast had a functioning government for a while based on Fallouts 1 and 2 and New Vegas. The Commonwealth (4) never had that. That's probably the difference. Plus this takes place 9 years after Fallout 4

I need to go back and play 1, 2, 3 & New Vegas again because it's been a long time for me especially with 1 & 2.  That said, Bethesda partnered with Obsidian on New Vegas. Obsidian had ties to Black Isle Studios which is the publisher that did Fallouts 1 & 2 as well as games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.  They were probably my favorite game developer back in the day.  Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are probably some of my favorite games of all time even dated as they are now and I remember the Fallout 1 & 2 games being right up there as well as they play similarly.

(04-19-2024, 08:03 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/...s0mxw&s=19

That was quick and very well-deserved.

(04-19-2024, 09:50 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 08:03 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/...s0mxw&s=19

That was quick and very well-deserved.

I read somewhere they had already picked up season 2 before season 1 was released two weeks ago.  I think they knew they had a quality show on their hands.

When I saw the previews in the months leading up, I was somewhat skeptical, but it really did deliver.  Also, Silo on appleTv is a good show in a similar less hokey dystopian post-war scenario.  Looking forward to season 2 of that as well.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 10:34 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I just watched the finale of Shogun (2024 version), which was extremely high-quality TV.  It is streaming on HULU and FX.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2024, 01:58 PM by snarkyguy_he_him_his.)

(04-23-2024, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I just watched the finale of Shogun (2024 version), which was extremely high-quality TV.  It is streaming on HULU and FX.

A whole lot of talking and conniving with intermittent decapitation.

And too many people think it's historically accurate lol. It's just a book.

I watched it all and it held my interest.. but I don't think I'd rewatch it

Nice. Well deserved!

(04-18-2024, 04:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 03:14 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I only ever played Fallout 4 but I like the show even though it seems a lot different to me. But there is an entire Fallout-verse that goes way beyond 4 that I’ve been learning about. Pretty cool. BTW, I think Halo is a pretty good adaptation of that ga it goes in its own direction by expanding several characters quite a bit.

Yeah I started watching Halo after seeing you talk about it here earlier in the year.  It was good enough in season 1 to keep my interest, but I thought there were some weak points in the writing.  Season 2 was awesome though.

Like Fallout, they don’t try to mirror the game exactly but stay mostly consistent with the worlds the games inhabit and I think that’s very positive. I like Halo a lot but I think I actually like Fallout better tbh.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-20-2024, 03:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 10:24 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: For not recommending it, you probably just sold the idea of watching it to a bunch of people.

I guess if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not into gratuitous sex, violence or foul language. If it's right for the story, like a war movie has violence and foul language, I'm good with it. Or Clint Eastwood movies have things Clint Eastwood movies have and they're always intentional even if I don't always care for it, Gran Torino being a good example. 

Kill Bill is an example of all things gratuitous. I didn't care for it back in the day and wouldn't watch it now. There's no point to any of it. 

That's probably why I never could get into Seinfeld; the show about nothing. It has it's moments but I never got the popularity about something that is about nothing. Lol

Being about nothing means it can be about anything. It probably would have been less funny if it had been constrained by situations.

BTW, like TRM, i didnt see one episode of it until it became available on DVD and syndication.

Just wrapped up watching FAUDA on Netflix; highly recommend it. Created, produced and acted by former IDF commandos.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Started binging ER on Max.

Man I forgot what a good show that was...and what a pleasure to watch with no commercials.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-24-2024, 01:58 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I just watched the finale of Shogun (2024 version), which was extremely high-quality TV.  It is streaming on HULU and FX.

A whole lot of talking and conniving with intermittent decapitation.

They’re called historical novels; fictional events set in accurately portrayed historical times. Have you ever read any James Michener books?

(05-02-2024, 06:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 01:58 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: A whole lot of talking and conniving with intermittent decapitation.

They’re called historical novels; fictional events set in accurately portrayed historical times. Have you ever read any James Michener books?

Nope, but I've seen every episode of Magnum, PI so I feel like an expert.