Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What are you reading?

I start a thread like this every few years. It gets some hits then slowly fades away. Well, we have a new board, so I ask, What are you reading?

I am reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano and will start American Gods when I finish sometime this week. What about everyone else?
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2017, 08:01 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I start a thread like this every few years.  It gets some hits then slowly fades away.  Well, we have a new board, so I ask, What are you reading?

I am reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano and will start American Gods when I finish sometime this week.  What about everyone else?

I'm actually re-reading the Ice and Fire series.  It is amazing how much detail you miss the first time through (TV show notwithstanding).  I did this with the Dark Tower series a few years ago too and had kind of the same experience.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Just pulled out a book to read yesterday. Battle Circle by Piers Anthony. Ive read it before but it is my favorite book and im ready to double down

Just finished "Dead of Night" by Randy Wayne White. It's book 12 of the Doc Ford series. Highly recommend the entire series.. but read them in order.

"A Pope and a President" by Paul Bengor. It outlines the relationship between St Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan, and how that relationship helped facilitate the end of the Cold War.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Currently reading this thread.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

A Game of Thrones.

It's okay, but is a bit long. Jon Snow is the only character I really like so far.

Playboy, but just for the articles.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Live From New York
Only a chump boos the home team!

Big Grin
Cereal Boxes
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Feast with dragons. A combined reading of GRRM a song of fire and ice series, this website http://afeastwithdragons.com/ gives you the order in which to read dance with dragons and feast for crows to match it up chronologically. Basically trying to finish it before the newest season premiers. Actually listened to the audiobooks a while back but actually re reading it now.

And on the side the real estate Brokers license book.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I am going to start American gods once the TV show is finished with the first season .... awesome show by the way if you get a chance

I bought a new copy of A Clockwork Orange a few months ago. Had a copy years back but lost it. One of these days I need to read it. I remember it being much better than the movie, and the movie was damn good.

A few different books depending on my mood.  I don't read fiction very often, and my selections would probably bore some people.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

An art textbook. It's very well written and interesting as hell. Really, no kidding.

(06-10-2017, 05:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I am going to start American gods once the TV show is finished with the first season .... awesome show by the way if you get a chance

I read it a few years ago, it's ok, very quirky like most of his fiction is. I haven't seen the show. I like "Neverwhere" better, IMHO.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I don't read any fiction or fantasy anymore like I used to. Actually I was quite the connoisseur for a time. I even read Harry Potter (as an adult, was a little after my time) just to see what the writing was like, and why so many people were into it. Really excellent milieu along with a compelling rags to riches, draws you in, I get why people are obsessed (the world is a fun place to imagine being in). But I have decided that fantasy isn't good for me, so now I just read articles online and nonfiction books like my Bible commentaries and textbooks/board prep.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I recently started the only Cormac McCarthy novel I've yet to read, Suttree. Like most, if not all, of McCarthy's work, it has unforgettable characters and a perfect command of the vernacular peculiar to the local setting of his stories. About 20% into the novel and I can tell it's going to evolve into something delightfully creepy.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Recently finished the final book in Raymond Feist's Midkemia series. I'm sad there are no more.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-14-2017, 02:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I recently started the only Cormac McCarthy novel I've yet to read, Suttree. Like most, if not all, of McCarthy's work, it has unforgettable characters and a perfect command of the vernacular peculiar to the local setting of his stories. About 20% into the novel and I can tell it's going to evolve into something delightfully creepy.

I have a read a few by him.  I find that his novels grow on me (haunt me?) as the months pass.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus