Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post Free Agency Mock Draft - Last Run (Trades)

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2022, 01:14 PM by Caldrac. Edited 5 times in total.)

Last weekend I had an initial run with no trades involved. In this mock. I will actually incorporate a few trade scenarios, as realistic as possible, to suit this team's current roster and overall needs as it stands today. Again, utilizing a combination of NFLDraftBuzz & Drafttek's big boards & positional rankings with the PFF mock draft simulator. 

In this scenario, I force a trade with Detroit. I am giving them 1 & 106 for 2, 32 & 97. 

With pick 2, I inquire yet another trade with Washington. For this trade. I give them 2 in exchange for 11, 47 and next year's first round draft pick. Didn't even have to force that trade in this simulator. They willingly accepted it. 

With the 11th pick in the draft. And, after reading some good news and reports regarding his ACL status. I decided to take Jameson Williams. It's believed he'll be ready to go during training camp. I felt like this move needed to be made in order to ensure this team had a legitimate speed threat with big play making ability on the outside. There's no chance in hell that Williams gets past the Eagles IMHO in this draft. With three picks between 15, 16 & 19 they would more than likely look to pair him up with Smith. 

The fact that they also signed Kirk & Jones and still have Agnew and Jones from last year to work with made me feel a little bit better with this decision. Also, snatching up a future 1st RD pick in next year's draft and still landing arguably the best receiver in this draft with the highest level of potential felt like a win to me. 

I forked over picks 97 (Gained from Detroit) and picks 157 & 188 to the Eagles to get pick 83. All for Calvin Austin III. This is one of the last few receivers in the draft that I felt like I wanted a shot at. Tested extremely well at the combine. He's on the small side at 5'9, 173 but his last two years have been very productive. Seems to find the end zone a lot. Love his story as being an unused walk-on to being a game changer in two years. Track level speed. Quick as hell. If you can get him in motion and get him away from bigger corners in specific locations on the field he's got the ability to add some big play capability to this offense. Felt he was well worth the picks to move up for. Nice insurance plan. 

I forked over picks 235, 222 & 198 to the Vikings for pick 184. At 184 I decided to draft Sterling Weatherford there at 184. Been reading up a lot on this kid. He can roam between S and LB. Has the right size and speed to impact the pass rushing game while also playing in the box in running situations. This is also why I looked at Sewell and took him because he has the mold to play a role in a Tampa 2 look. Those two guys can make this roster if they put in the work and show out during training camp. At the minimum we could probably place them on the practice squad. But, I think given Mike Caldwell's background they'll be looking to add a variety of looks blitz and coverage wise. 

RD1 - P11 - Jameson Williams - WR - Alabama
RD1 - P32 - Arnold Ebiketie - DE - Penn State
RD2 - P33 - Trey McBride - TE - Colorado State
RD2 - P47 - Chad Muma - ILB - Wyoming
RD3 - P65 - Darian Kinnard - RG/RT - Kentucky
RD3 - P70 - Josh Paschal - DE - Kentucky 
RD3 - P83 - Calvin Austin III - WR - Memphis
RD6 - P180 - Nephi Sewell - OLB - Utah
RD6 - P184 - Sterling Weatherford - S - Miami (OH)
RD6 - P197 - Hassan Haskins - RB - Michigan

So, all in all. I am pleased with what I managed to accomplish. I know I'll get some mixed reactions on here. I did pull off quite a few trades. I felt like I had to. There's no reason to really sit on 12 picks. I ended up shelling over a 4th, 5th, 6th and pair of 7th RD picks at the end of the day to try and maximize as much as I could need wise towards the final three picks in RD6. While also picking up a future 1st RD pick in next year's draft. 

Full breakdown on the trades:

R1 - P1 & R4 - P106 swapped with Detroit for R1 - P2, R1 - P32 & R3 - P97

R1 - P2 swapped with Washington for R1 - P11, R2 - P47 & R1 in 2023

R3 - P97, R5 - P157, & R6 - P188 swapped with Philadelphia for R3 - P83

R6 - P198, R7 - P222 & R7 - P235 swapped with Minnesota for R6 - P184 

Full breakdown on big board rankings from the sites I used for each player selected:

Jameson Williams - 23rd overall on Drafttek / 14h overall on DraftBuzz
Arnold Ebiketie - 40th overall on Drafttek / 33rd overall on DraftBuzz
Trey McBride - 39th overall on Drafttek / 47th overall on DraftBuzz
Chad Muma - 62nd overall on Drafttek / 72nd overall on DraftBuzz
Darian Kinnard - 45th overall on Drafttek / 45th overall on DraftBuzz
Josh Pashcal - 148th overall on Drafftek / 85th overall on DraftBuzz
Calvin Austin III - 140th overall on Drafttek / 73rd overall on DraftBuzz
Nephi Sewell - 311th overall on Drafttek / 193rd overall on DraftBuzz
Sterling Weatherford - 333rd overall on Drafttek / 178th overall on DraftBuzz
Hassan Haskins - 183rd overall on Drafftek / 137th overall on DraftBuzz
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2022, 07:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Last weekend I had an initial run with no trades involved. In this mock. I will actually incorporate a few trade scenarios, as realistic as possible, to suit this team's current roster and overall needs as it stands today. Again, utilizing a combination of NFLDraftBuzz & Drafttek's big boards & positional rankings with the PFF mock draft simulator. 

In this scenario, I force a trade with Detroit. I am giving them 1 & 106 for 2, 32 & 97. 

With pick 2, I inquire yet another trade with Washington. For this trade. I give them 2 in exchange for 11, 47 and next year's first round draft pick. Didn't even have to force that trade in this simulator. They willingly accepted it. 

With the 11th pick in the draft. And, after reading some good news and reports regarding his ACL status. I decided to take Jameson Williams. It's believed he'll be ready to go during training camp. I felt like this move needed to be made in order to ensure this team had a legitimate speed threat with big play making ability on the outside. There's no chance in hell that Williams gets past the Eagles IMHO in this draft. With three picks between 15, 16 & 19 they would more than likely look to pair him up with Smith. 

The fact that they also signed Kirk & Jones and still have Agnew and Jones from last year to work with made me feel a little bit better with this decision. Also, snatching up a future 1st RD pick in next year's draft and still landing arguably the best receiver in this draft with the highest level of potential felt like a win to me. 

I forked over picks 97 (Gained from Detroit) and picks 157 & 188 to the Eagles to get pick 83. All for Calvin Austin III. This is one of the last few receivers in the draft that I felt like I wanted a shot at. Tested extremely well at the combine. He's on the small side at 5'9, 173 but his last two years have been very productive. Seems to find the end zone a lot. Love his story as being an unused walk-on to being a game changer in two years. Track level speed. Quick as hell. If you can get him in motion and get him away from bigger corners in specific locations on the field he's got the ability to add some big play capability to this offense. Felt he was well worth the picks to move up for. Nice insurance plan. 

I forked over picks 235, 222 & 198 to the Vikings for pick 184. At 184 I decided to draft Sterling Weatherford there at 184. Been reading up a lot on this kid. He can roam between S and LB. Has the right size and speed to impact the pass rushing game while also playing in the box in running situations. This is also why I looked at Sewell and took him because he has the mold to play a role in a Tampa 2 look. Those two guys can make this roster if they put in the work and show out during training camp. At the minimum we could probably place them on the practice squad. But, I think given Mike Caldwell's background they'll be looking to add a variety of looks blitz and coverage wise. 

So, all in all. I am pleased with what I managed to accomplish. I know I'll get some mixed reactions on here. I did pull off quite a few trades. I felt like I had to. There's no reason to really sit on 12 picks. I ended up shelling over a 4th, 5th, 6th and pair of 7th RD picks at the end of the day to try and maximize as much as I could need wise towards the final three picks in RD6. While also picking up a future 1st RD pick in next year's draft. 

R6 - P198, R7 - P222 & Ry - P235 swapped with Minnesota for R6 - P184 

Full breakdown on big board rankings from the sites I used for each player selected:

I would be very happy if the draft turned out like this. You addressed the team's biggest needs with quality players and were able to add a 2023 1st rounder in the process. My favorite parts of this draft class are:

1. Immediate weapons to help Lawrence: In 3 years, we might be saying that the Jaguars got both the best wide receiver and tight end from this class.

2. Solid pieces added to the defense: Ebiketie and Pashcal may not equal Hutchinson, but they will still improve the pass rush. Muma can be a 3 down linebacker who'd fit perfectly next to Oluakun. Don' know much about Sewell or Weatherford, but sounds like they'd fit in Caldwell's defense.

3. Darrian Kinnard: Getting him in round 3 was a steal. Likely to play guard in the NFL, but can play right tackle if necessary. Very good run blocker.

4. Haskins would be able to fill void if Robinson isn't ready to play at the start of the season.

I'm now at the point where it will be very disappointing if the Jaguars don't trade down in round 1. Ideally, they can trade back twice as in your mock draft. Hutchinson is no doubt the safest player in this draft and likely to make some Pro Bowls during his career. However, the majority of talent evaluators say he is not as good as the Bosas' or Myles Garrett, to name a few. The Jaguars would be much better off accumulating several very good players, as you accomplished in your draft. It wouldn't surprise me if Jameson Williams and Trey McBride end up having as much success as Hutcinson when their careers have ended.

Unfortunately, I just have the fear that Baalke will get too greedy and pass on trade offers like the ones you received. He and Pederson did a very good job in free agency, but I still lack confidence in Baalke to hit a home-run in the draft. Hopefully he will prove us wrong!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2022, 03:17 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-26-2022, 12:25 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 07:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Last weekend I had an initial run with no trades involved. In this mock. I will actually incorporate a few trade scenarios, as realistic as possible, to suit this team's current roster and overall needs as it stands today. Again, utilizing a combination of NFLDraftBuzz & Drafttek's big boards & positional rankings with the PFF mock draft simulator. 

R6 - P198, R7 - P222 & Ry - P235 swapped with Minnesota for R6 - P184 

I would be very happy if the draft turned out like this. You addressed the team's biggest needs with quality players and were able to add a 2023 1st rounder in the process. My favorite parts of this draft class are:

1. Immediate weapons to help Lawrence: In 3 years, we might be saying that the Jaguars got both the best wide receiver and tight end from this class.

2. Solid pieces added to the defense: Ebiketie and Pashcal may not equal Hutchinson, but they will still improve the pass rush. Muma can be a 3 down linebacker who'd fit perfectly next to Oluakun. Don' know much about Sewell or Weatherford, but sounds like they'd fit in Caldwell's defense.

3. Darrian Kinnard: Getting him in round 3 was a steal. Likely to play guard in the NFL, but can play right tackle if necessary. Very good run blocker.

4. Haskins would be able to fill void if Robinson isn't ready to play at the start of the season.

I'm now at the point where it will be very disappointing if the Jaguars don't trade down in round 1. Ideally, they can trade back twice as in your mock draft. Hutchinson is no doubt the safest player in this draft and likely to make some Pro Bowls during his career. However, the majority of talent evaluators say he is not as good as the Bosas' or Myles Garrett, to name a few. The Jaguars would be much better off accumulating several very good players, as you accomplished in your draft. It wouldn't surprise me if Jameson Williams and Trey McBride end up having as much success as Hutcinson when their careers have ended.

Unfortunately, I just have the fear that Baalke will get too greedy and pass on trade offers like the ones you received. He and Pederson did a very good job in free agency, but I still lack confidence in Baalke to hit a home-run in the draft. Hopefully he will prove us wrong!

Appreciate the feedback. Getting Lawrence even more help was my goal initially when going into this 2nd mock up. I think some of the trades are logical and possible. Walking out of that draft with Williams at WR, McBride at TE, Kinnard at RG/RT and Austin III at WR was a pretty good feeling. I think I honestly landed two of the best overall deep threats from this WR class. I think Kinnard immediately starts at RG with the possibility of moving on from Taylor this year or next year at RT. I was pleasantly surprised he was there in RD3. 

However, even in this scenario, I feel like it's possible you could swap him and Muma around. It's possible Kinnard is there at 45 and Muma is still there at 65. Getting Ebiketie there was a must have pick IMHO. He gives off a Yannick Ngakoue vibe. I liked what I saw on his highlight reels. I think he instantly upgrades the position. Same goes for Paschal. He's versatile at the point of attack. He can also set the edge against the run or cause some mismatch problems lined up inside on certain packages. It's really what convinced me to specifically target guys like Sewell & Weatherford at OLB and FS. 

Those two guys have unique builds with speed to them that enable Caldwell to have more fun with some of his blitz packages that he's more than likely going to bring over here with him from Bowle's system. Weatherford will absolutely knock the living piss out of you and he has that perfect blend of size and speed where he'll probably get just enough momentum to catch you over the middle from the FS position or get after you in the backfield in blitz packages at the LB spot. Sewell is pretty rangy for an OLB as well. Not a bad player out of Utah. Can help out a lot in zone coverage.

Haskins may not even be there at 197 but I feel we need to address that position because nothing was said or done during free agency and I am still not feeling overly warm and fuzzy with Etienne and Robinson coming off of injuries. Need an insurance plan there. Investing a 6th RD pick in this draft felt like the right thing to do but I think that pick is interchangeable with other runner's like Badie out of Missouri or White out of Georgia.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I don't want to trade out unless we get a nice haul like any other team that's traded out of first. We need a future 1st, a 2nd, and a few other picks as well. I do t see that happening so I can't wait to add Hitch opposite Allen

Like many of you, I run mock drafts almost every day based on free agent signings and new information I hear from media draft experts and folks on this board. On the majority of the drafts, I assume Hutchinson at #1 and no trades since they introduce a level of randomness that is not helpful for predicting best case scenarios that are somewhat realistic.  However, it occurs to me that if Cam does not sign his franchise tender or a long term contract before the draft, the Jaguars' hand is forced (to a degree) to get a tackle in the draft rather than targeting one or two interior linemen.

This is the most recent draft assuming those parameters:

#1   Evan Neal, T
#33 Boye Mafe, Edge
#65 Dylan Parham G/C
#70 Alec Pierce, WR Tall, strong vertical threat who wins jump balls
#106 Malcom Rodriguez, LB Highly athletic, adequate in coverage, nose always around the ball, sure tackler.
#157 Sterling Weatherford, S
#180 Derrick Deese, TE  Projects as a Y rather than a move TE. 
#188 Ty Chandler, RB Versatile 3 down back as insurance for ETN and Robinson
#197 Bo Melton, WR  Poor man's Chris Olave
#198 Chig Okonkwo, TE  H-back
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!