Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

(04-29-2024, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 09:17 AM)Mikey Wrote: "good enough" should never, ever be the goal.

and sit on the other while the rest of the league takes advantage of a loaded darft class.

If you asked Doug I would bet that's not the goal.  That's should never be the goal for any position.  It good to see they finally addressed the interior dline which was just as bad as the interior oline

Except when you have a bad IDL it doesn't hurt the franchise QB

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-29-2024, 11:14 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If you asked Doug I would bet that's not the goal.  That's should never be the goal for any position.  It good to see they finally addressed the interior dline which was just as bad as the interior oline

No but it's something that had to be picked

(04-29-2024, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If you asked Doug I would bet that's not the goal.  That's should never be the goal for any position.  It good to see they finally addressed the interior dline which was just as bad as the interior oline

I wanted them to take IDL but not double dip in the 2nd and 4th. They reached so hard on Jefferson. He likely would have been available in round 5 or 6.

Bortolini and McCormick went right after Jefferson as well as TJ Tampa.

If you're going to double dip in this draft, you do it at IOL where the VALUE met the needs in rounds 2-5.

on the contrary, it keeps him rested on the sidelines!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 04:57 PM by rpr52121.)

(04-28-2024, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 12:48 PM)cland Wrote: Trying not to repeat myself and others, but I feel like the Jags biggest team issue is that Pederson truly believes that last years starting 5, plus Morse (who as Caldrac posted, "Who [was] honestly was middling by all accounts in Buffalo last year.") is good enough.

"Our best five didn't start until the season finale."  -- Pederson.  It seems the only OL draft pick is a swing-tackle to compete with Little (???).  Now Pederson knows more about football than any one here, so he HAS to expect that there will be OL injuries during the 17 game season.  If I could summon a question into his press conference (and get an honest answer), it would be this, "If one of your IOL gets hurt during the 2024, do you expect Trevor to have enough time to pass the ball to his 2nd or 3rd WR read?"

The starting 5 is good enough.  The problem will be if Morse gets hurt and Fortner has to come in.

The issue with that I don’t think that amount of availability should be expected for any NFL player anymore. It feels is the exception for any OL today to be able to start 17 regular season games and multiple play off games.

Most linemen and players in general miss at least a game or 2 and come out of a few games due to injuries.

Tony Wiggins does a good job here of summarizing of how Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars have arrived at this odd position of whether he deserves top 5 money and how the history and culture of the team has created it.

https://youtu.be/1qGGJNwqd6Q?si=8cZKz7nwedvAgm3E

(05-06-2024, 02:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Tony Wiggins does a good job here of summarizing of how Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars have arrived at this odd position of whether he deserves top 5 money and how the history and culture of the team has created it.

I like Wiggins' analysis of the Trevor Lawrence contract situation, but I think he pulled his punches a little bit. I understand his assessment that the Jaguars are going to pay Trevor as a top QB, even though he hasn't played at that level yet, due to the market for QBs. Wiggins was critical of the Jaguars' offensive line, and blamed Trevor's mistakes because he was running for his life too many times. He really wanted to say that it was the GM's and coaches' fault for not building a better offensive line in their team building philosophy, but didn't quite get there.

(05-06-2024, 05:38 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 02:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Tony Wiggins does a good job here of summarizing of how Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars have arrived at this odd position of whether he deserves top 5 money and how the history and culture of the team has created it.

I like Wiggins' analysis of the Trevor Lawrence contract situation, but I think he pulled his punches a little bit. I understand his assessment that the Jaguars are going to pay Trevor as a top QB, even though he hasn't played at that level yet, due to the market for QBs. Wiggins was critical of the Jaguars' offensive line, and blamed Trevor's mistakes because he was running for his life too many times. He really wanted to say that it was the GM's and coaches' fault for not building a better offensive line in their team building philosophy, but didn't quite get there.

He's been very critical of Baalke and was essentially calling for him to be fired after the "we haven't talked yet" remark Baalke made at the end of January in regards to Josh Allen.  He appears to be walking that stance back a tad now, though I have no doubt he'd be quick to jump back on that boat again if something additional came out that either was negative about Baalke or could easily be spun that way.

Wig sometimes goes a bit far. But generally, he’s on the right track. Baalke and Pederson are to blame, with Baalke carrying a little more responsibility because he’s been here longer and is more directly responsible for bringing in players. Until they prioritize, truly prioritize not half measures prioritize the O line, Trevor will never be what his talent says he should be.

We’re promised Cleveland will be good. We didn’t see it last year, injury or no injury. Morse is known to be competent. Scherff is a shell of the player he was before he signed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

What's the question?

Cowboys may be looking for a new QB and the alternatives are among the other QB's. I don't see the problem here because all it says is that Trevor doesn't have a second contract yet and is good enough to take over in Texas, at least according to one writer.

If there's no speculation about him it simply means other fanbases and people around the league don't think highly of him. As soon as he has signed his new contract this should stop.

Jared Goff gets 4 years, $212 million with $170m guaranteed per Schefter.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...5582917024

Keep waiting to sign Trevor ya'll, it's totally in your best interest to pay more next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-13-2024, 04:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Jared Goff gets 4 years, $212 million with $170m guaranteed per Schefter.

Keep waiting to sign Trevor ya'll, it's totally in your best interest to pay more next year.

Wow Trevor is about to get a Kings Ransom. Hopefully OL is a priority going forward with the type of money he's about to get or it wont matter

(05-13-2024, 04:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Jared Goff gets 4 years, $212 million with $170m guaranteed per Schefter.

Jags do this all the time. They lose more money by not signing players to an extension when they should.

Trevor haters better buckle up because that contract is going to be NUTS

(05-13-2024, 05:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Jags do this all the time. They lose more money by not signing players to an extension when they should.

Trevor haters better buckle up because that contract is going to be NUTS

We just paid Josh Allen a mega-deal and it didn't really hurt our cap in the grand scheme. 

I'm fine with letting it ride. 

We just need a few 2023/2024 draft picks to work out and the cap will remain manageable.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 11:43 AM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

Sorry... I may be in the minority, but I don't think you should pay Trevor more than Goff. He's won 1 playoff game...where he threw 4 INTs.

Goff has played in a super bowl and has, over the past 3 seasons, thrown 20 more TDs and ...what is it, 7 less INTs than Trevor?

Yes, I want Trevor to be the Jags QB for the next 5 years. Yes, it's only $$$. I simply don't believe in rewarding a QB for having 1 good season out of 3.

Edited...
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(05-13-2024, 11:28 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Sorry... I may be in the minority, but I don't think you should pay Trevor more than Goff.  He's won 1 playoff game...where he threw 4 INTs.

Goff has won a SB, and has, over the past 3 seasons, thrown 20 more TDs and ...what is it, 7 less INTs than Trevor?

Yes, I want Trevor to be the Jags QB for the next 5 years.  Yes, it's only $$$.  I simply don't believe in rewarding a QB for having 1 good season out of 3.

You're in the minority because you think Jared Goff won a Super Bowl.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-13-2024, 11:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 11:28 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Sorry... I may be in the minority, but I don't think you should pay Trevor more than Goff.  He's won 1 playoff game...where he threw 4 INTs.

Goff has won a SB, and has, over the past 3 seasons, thrown 20 more TDs and ...what is it, 7 less INTs than Trevor?

Yes, I want Trevor to be the Jags QB for the next 5 years.  Yes, it's only $$$.  I simply don't believe in rewarding a QB for having 1 good season out of 3.

You're in the minority because you think Jared Goff won a Super Bowl.

Touche'
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Goff has played in a super bowl and has, over the past 3 seasons, thrown 20 more TDs and ...what is it, 7 less INTs than Trevor?

Edited...
So you would trade Trevor for Goff?

Clearly you’re implying Goff is better right?