Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stadium Renovation Talk 2023

(01-04-2023, 11:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 10:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: It won't be easy to retrofit shade into a structure that wasn't intended to have any.  The $1B price tag sounds right.  Since they want to reduce the number of seats,  I predict the topmost seats in the 400 level might be demolished, and the structure underneath will be the what the canopy attaches to.  Cheaper that way.  Or they might build an independent canopy and spread out the seats similar to what happened at hard Rock.  But the first option sounds better and more likely.

I wonder if they can install some Big [BLEEP] Fans under the canopies to move the air.

We have those at the venue I work for in SWFL.
They're great. 
And if they are installing shade covering engineered to withstand storm winds, it very likely will be rigid enough to support the rigging and fan weight. Especially further inside the covering where the trussing and purlin would ostensibly be closer together. 

Their 10' fan only weighs about 80 pounds.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023, 09:35 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-05-2023, 08:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 11:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I wonder if they can install some Big [BLEEP] Fans under the canopies to move the air.

We have those at the venue I work for in SWFL.
They're great. 
And if they are installing shade covering engineered to withstand storm winds, it very likely will be rigid enough to support the rigging and fan weight. Especially further inside the covering where the trussing and purlin would ostensibly be closer together. 

The only drawback I can think of would be legal in nature. What if some idiot fan (there’s an endless supply) threw something into the blades and causes debris to rain down? The fans would have to be caged somehow.

Edit: The air fans would have to be caged, not the idiot fans. Although, that’s probably not a bad idea.

A buddy of mine just texted me a good question. If they’re going to install shading, what becomes of the video boards?

(01-05-2023, 09:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-05-2023, 08:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We have those at the venue I work for in SWFL.
They're great. 

The only drawback I can think of would be legal in nature. What if some idiot fan (there’s an endless supply) threw something into the blades and causes debris to rain down? The fans would have to be caged somehow.

Edit: The air fans would have to be caged, not the idiot fans. Although, that’s probably not a bad idea.

A buddy of mine just texted me a good question. If they’re going to install shading, what becomes of the video boards?
The fans don't need to be fast. The bigger fans generally don't move fast but do move a bunch of air.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023, 09:45 AM by Mikey.)

(01-04-2023, 09:29 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Pretty good chance that I may be a part of the renovations. It’ll be interesting what company is awarded the contract.

are you a sunshade? Big Grin

(01-04-2023, 11:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 10:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: It won't be easy to retrofit shade into a structure that wasn't intended to have any.  The $1B price tag sounds right.  Since they want to reduce the number of seats,  I predict the topmost seats in the 400 level might be demolished, and the structure underneath will be the what the canopy attaches to.  Cheaper that way.  Or they might build an independent canopy and spread out the seats similar to what happened at hard Rock.  But the first option sounds better and more likely.

I wonder if they can install some Big [BLEEP] Fans under the canopies to move the air.

[BLEEP] fans sound like they would stink

(01-05-2023, 08:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We have those at the venue I work for in SWFL.
They're great. 

The video boards become projectors that broadcast onto the underbelly of the shading. RIP everyone's necks.

(01-05-2023, 12:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 11:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Preliminary is some global outfit called HOK. Saw it on a Jax news station clip on YouTube. No contract has been signed yet but that's who the Jags organization chose.

And $1B was not the price tag though it's close. Several hundred million for sure. Maybe $600-800 million. Don't remember exactly.

from the article (dated today) in OP - since you didn't read it  Tongue  :

Quote:HOK will assume the role of design architect if the Jaguars move ahead with the renovations, Lamping said. A construction manager has not been selected, pending public procurement guidelines.

Quote:[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Industry sources say the renovations in Jacksonville could reach $1 billion, but Lamping said it’s too early to provide an estimate, considering market volatility for construction materials.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]“We haven’t got to that level of precision, so we’d rather not get into projecting cost at this point before we have the real opportunity to sit down with our partners, principally the city of Jacksonville, to see if we can structure something that makes sense,” he said.[/font]

Quote:As a firm, HOK designed the $755 million transformation of Hard Rock Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins, showcasing a roof canopy retrofit. The three-year project was completed in 2016.

Thanks! 

That stadium desperately needs shade and air flow. My dad had to give up ST because he got to where he couldn't tolerate the heat. I know I came thisclose to having a heat related event a few times. 

Hopefully they can come up with a solution to the very real problem for fans who have been there since the beginning being less able to handle the heat and sun due to aging and health issues.

(01-04-2023, 09:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The house that Trevor built.

Yep, Lucas Oil Field would not have happened without Peyton Manning

They're great. 

It's a 800 mil+ Reno.
They can move/alter the vid walls. 
Those things are modular BTW. They come apart in sections. If each side shrinks by 20% - the removed pieces could be made into another screen or screens elsewhere. 

I imagine they'll shrink a little bit and be dropped down lower. They are also losing almost 8000 seats, remember.

I went to the gator bowl and I will say that place with 65k strong under the lights is an awesome environment and makes me excited for the future.

(01-05-2023, 02:53 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Now's your chance, Khan.... replace the pools with a lazy river. Do it... DO IT!

Exactly.  He needs to continue to be a pioneer with his expansion processes.  Miami is so far behind the times with their silly little shade roof.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023, 12:58 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-05-2023, 08:36 AM)carp8dm Wrote: I think the city should put in a clause that the mandatory home game in London goes away...  I'm sick of one hone game a year being lost to London, it's bogus.  And if the city is going to invest that 1Billion, then we should receive all the benefits of the team and the stadium.  That includes all possible home games available.

Good idea. Make the London game an away game. Lawrence and the boys won’t have any problems getting people to fill the stadium. Of course, until they build Lawrence a stadium like they did Manning.

Clothing Optional would be nice as it applies to our female fans who complain about the heat.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023, 01:54 PM by The Real Marty.)

(01-05-2023, 01:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Clothing Optional would be nice as it applies to our female fans who complain about the heat.

Not for most of them.  Absolutely not.

(01-05-2023, 01:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Clothing Optional would be nice as it applies to our female fans who complain about the heat.

Have you noticed the patrons of the swimming pools the last couple of home games? No.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The whole thing sounds fabulous. But there should be concession made by Khan if the City is fronting the bill... I don't understand why nobody is really looking at that point of it.

1 Billion Dollars is just the start. This city needs to be renovated big time. This investment should just be the beginning. But if we are going to invest in The Franchise, then the owner of The Franchise, should acknowledge certain obligations to the city...

Jacksonville has been a Bush League, podunk town for decades. It's time to renovate more than just the stadium... And this is the best time to invest in not only the stadium, but the entire downtown section of the city. This is the best opportunity to actually bring Jacksonville out of the 1950s and into the 21st Century....

(01-05-2023, 01:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Not for most of them.  Absolutely not.

(01-05-2023, 02:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

Have you noticed the patrons of the swimming pools the last couple of home games?  No.

OUCH !!! 

This is fantastic news.Will be great to see it done.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(01-05-2023, 02:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

Have you noticed the patrons of the swimming pools the last couple of home games?  No.

Jaxson uses the pools, why not the cheerleaders, dag-nabbit!

Y’all see the rendering? I’ll try to find a link. But the rendering a friend showed me it looked…. Ugh…. Let’s just say I don’t want to violate the COC. But, the rendering may want to.

(01-05-2023, 06:31 PM)Jags Wrote: Y’all see the rendering?  I’ll try to find a link.  But the rendering a friend showed me it looked…. Ugh…. Let’s just say I don’t want to violate the COC.  But, the rendering may want to.

They JUST hired the design firm 

I don't think a rendering exists yet