Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lamar Jackson

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 04:19 PM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 3 times in total.)

Man, it’s getting sickening reading ESPN hyping up how Lamar Jackson is supposedly being disrespected by the Ravens. He’s talented but he’s an injury prone, lower tier passer. His arrow is pointing down. ESPN conveniently leaves out in their Mahomes/Burrows franchise QB comparisons that he wants a fully guaranteed contract like Watson’s and he’s serving as his own agent. That’s clown city right there. No owner in his right mind wants to negotiate that horrible contract model with him. I think the Ravens will be stuck with his antics for some time.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Didn't he lead the league in passing td's and win MVP? He's a very good passer. He should go to the 49ers.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 06:20 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Lamar Jackson has 3 huge problems if he wants to go to another team.  First, he doesn't have an agent.  Secondly, he's asking for a fully guaranteed contract, which no one is willing to do.  And third, teams have to trade for him.  So, 2 first round picks, plus a huge fully guaranteed contract, and there's no agent to make a deal with.

Oh, and there's also the fact that for the past 2 years, when the playoffs came rolling around, he's been injured and unable to play.

(03-22-2023, 06:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Lamar Jackson has 3 huge problems if he wants to go to another team.  First, he doesn't have an agent.  Secondly, he's asking for a fully guaranteed contract, which no one is willing to do.  And third, teams have to trade for him.  So, 2 first round picks, plus a huge fully guaranteed contract, and there's no agent to make a deal with.

Oh, and there's also the fact that for the past 2 years, when the playoffs came rolling around, he's been injured and unable to play.

He keeps using the Watson and Mahomes deals as his model or precedent.

If he came at Balt. with something in between the Watson and Josh Allen deals, he might get something done. 
Sounds like he doesn't get it though. 
He could be in for a rude awakening if he doesn't listen to someone sane around him, assuming that exists.

(03-21-2023, 04:16 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Man, it’s getting sickening reading ESPN hyping up how Lamar Jackson is supposedly being disrespected by the Ravens. He’s talented but he’s an injury prone, lower tier passer. His arrow is pointing down. ESPN conveniently leaves out in their Mahomes/Burrows franchise QB comparisons that he wants a fully guaranteed contract like Watson’s and he’s serving as his own agent. That’s clown city right there. No owner in his right mind wants to negotiate that horrible contract model with him. I think the Ravens will be stuck with his antics for some time.

Totally agree.  It's almost as if someone takes a different opinion (like the one we most have) they'd be shunned by the network.   They leave out most of the facts that Baltimore has obviously considered with regard to the rationale behind their offer.   Fact is Lamar played a total of 1 game in December & January over the past 2 seasons and he totally sucked in the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 12:37 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 3 times in total.)

(03-21-2023, 04:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: .

(03-21-2023, 04:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Didn't he lead the league in passing td's and win MVP? He's a very good passer. He should go to the 49ers.

That was 4 years ago and he has since missed 33% of the games in 2021 and 2022.  Ultimately diverse QBs like Steve Young, Mike Vick, D. McNabb, and Kordell Stewart either suffer injuries from running or simply decide to focus on more of a pro-style way of playing the game, which in most situations, decreases their impact on the game.  Some succeed and some don't.   I really see Lamar focusing on a game that sees him run the ball a lot less due to injuries so I'd be weary of offering him anything long term that is fully guaranteed.   That said, since the Ravens are kind of built for that system and do have a shot to compete (e.g. not in rebuilding mode), I could see them settling with a 4-year deal @ $200 million that is fully guaranteed.  I think both the Ravens and Lamar could consider that to be fair and reasonable in effort to move forward amicably.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 09:26 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Nothing inherently wrong with operating without an agent and avoiding the 10-15% charge. Plenty of people have sold their house on their own. His problem is more the demand for guaranteed money and the fact that his injuries reduced his potential value. His terms are too rigid at this point.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-22-2023, 09:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Nothing inherently wrong with operating without an agent and avoiding the 10-15% charge.  Plenty of people have sold their house on their own.  His problem is more the demand for guaranteed money and the fact that his injuries reduced his potential value.  His terms are too rigid at this point.

I think the agent's fee is more like 1% to 3%.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 09:36 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-22-2023, 09:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 09:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Nothing inherently wrong with operating without an agent and avoiding the 10-15% charge.  Plenty of people have sold their house on their own.  His problem is more the demand for guaranteed money and the fact that his injuries reduced his potential value.  His terms are too rigid at this point.

I think the agent's fee is more like 1% to 3%.

Agreed, I was including fees on any endorsement contracts as well. Just an estimate.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Lamar got a score of 15 out of 50 on his Wonderlic.  He should stay away from any documents that require any form of logical thought process.

(03-22-2023, 12:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamar got a score of 15 out of 50 on his Wonderlic.  He should stay away from any documents that require any form of logical thought process.

He will have to pay a lawyer or he is really stupid.

He won't get an offer from another team because no one wants to give up 2 1st round picks and only sign him to a 2-3 year deal. The only offer he would get is a low ball offer and no way he agrees as the Ravens would match it. The Ravens have positioned themselves to set the market. Either he signs at their number or he plays the next 2 years on tags and hopes he doesn't get hurt.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(03-23-2023, 01:06 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 12:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamar got a score of 15 out of 50 on his Wonderlic.  He should stay away from any documents that require any form of logical thought process.

He will have to pay a lawyer or he is really stupid.

He won't get an offer from another team because no one wants to give up 2 1st round picks and only sign him to a 2-3 year deal. The only offer he would get is a low ball offer and no way he agrees as the Ravens would match it. The Ravens have positioned themselves to set the market. Either he signs at their number or he plays the next 2 years on tags and hopes he doesn't get hurt.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

The odds are long that another team would give up 2 first draft picks AND make an offer with guaranteed money high enough to have the Ravens not match it.  Also, if they make a pretty high offer (not exorbitant) the Raven may just not match and that team would be stuck with the loss of 2 first round picks and a QB that cannot make it through a season.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2023, 12:33 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

His options are getting slim. He should be concerned with the fact that the Jets are nearing a deal with the Packers for Rodgers. The Saints are committed to Carr. The Raiders are committed to Garoppolo. Miami picked up Tua's option and signed Mike White as an insurance policy. The Panthers clearly moved up for Stroud and the tinhorns and clots don't have to rush anything in year one rebuilds with a chance to draft a QB early anyway.

He's fixing to get his feelings hurt at this rate. Teams are not pursuing him because of the reasons cited above. Just because Haslam [BLEEP] the bed and panicked by giving Watson a fully loaded and guaranteed contract does not mean the other owners are going to cave into that nonsense. He's won one play-off game in his career. He cannot stay healthy. Sure, he's an MVP. However, most teams have to tailor their personnel and offensive scheme to fit his running style as a QB.

Just too risky for most teams. Baltimore has the leverage here. People can drag Biscotti as an owner all they want. He's not stupid. He knows what he's doing. If a team offers something to him? They get a chance to match it, or, they get heavily compensated for it. As they should be. He either has to come to terms with that or risk diminishing his value further for 2024 and beyond.

San Francisco would be the ideal landing spot for him. As I feel his skillset is something Kyle Shanahan can very easily figure out. The problem there though is the Trey Lance situation. San Francisco already invested draft picks to move up to get him and due to injuries he's yet to show any real return. Factor in Purdy showing competence down the stretch while on the mend it just gives them more leverage to ride it out with the two of them while leaning on their stout defense and running game.

He's really painted himself into a corner here. This is why having an agent is actually important in professional sports. These guys not only have the network and connections to make things move more fluidly but they also have the ability to talk some damn sense into you as a player.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He’s a good player. However, some said he could have played at the end of the ravens season and instead he decided to sit. A bit controversial there as play off opportunities are numbered for so many teams.

(03-24-2023, 06:19 AM)Jag88 Wrote: He’s a good player. However, some said he could have played at the end of the ravens season and instead he decided to sit. A bit controversial there as play off opportunities are numbered for so many teams.

I can understand why he didn't play, from his perspective.  He's a running QB, and he had a leg injury.  Why risk his future for a team that isn't going to pay him what he wants?

(03-24-2023, 07:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 06:19 AM)Jag88 Wrote: He’s a good player. However, some said he could have played at the end of the ravens season and instead he decided to sit. A bit controversial there as play off opportunities are numbered for so many teams.

I can understand why he didn't play, from his perspective.  He's a running QB, and he had a leg injury.  Why risk his future for a team that isn't going to pay him what he wants?

Yeah. It's one of those "fine line" things in the NFL. After what happened to Earl Thomas in Seattle back in 2018 I don't blame most players for taking a similar stance with their contract situation uncertain and lingering in the air. When you chose yourself over your teammates though it also opens you up for criticism from within the locker room. 

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Nothing wrong for wanting what's best for you but there is also a point to where greed comes in. Brady is the GOAT and was never greedy. I love it when players get greedy and it comes back to burn them. Yawn is a good example.

(03-24-2023, 09:31 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Nothing wrong for wanting what's best for you but there is also a point to where greed comes in.  Brady is the GOAT and was never greedy.  I love it when players get greedy and it comes back to burn them.  Yawn is a good example.

I actually feel for the guy. He BELIEVES he is worth a lot more than maybe he is. Unless some team is willing to roll the dice he can stay healthy for a complete year he is destined to play for the non exclusive tag $ next year maybe the next. He has no leverage now. 

Problem I see him having is he is a run to open the pass QB.  The more he runs the less likely to make it a full year.  Without that ever present threat of him running he becomes a average to maybe a bit above QB.  (Linebackers can drop deeper etc) He may even see that so if he plays on the transition tag and doesn't make the full season even less teams will be interested in a full guaranteed contract.

Just really think that Brady is indeed the GOAT and was modest to a fault if you give him that credit. But really it could be much more over in the Lamar Jackson and Ravens situation.
Summertime Is Coming!

(03-26-2023, 03:39 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Just really think that Brady is indeed the GOAT and was modest to a fault if you give him that credit. But really it could be much more over in the Lamar Jackson and Ravens situation.

If Lamar doesn't get his way yea, there will be more. How much of that is actually real to be determined.