Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jim Brown, NFL Legend, dead at 87

Jim Brown has died.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...237329007/

Brown, who led the Browns to the NFL championship in 1964, was undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, Brown retired as the NFL’s all-time leading rusher (12,312 yards) after earning eight unanimous first-team all-pro selections and nine Pro Bowl honors during nine NFL seasons. A four-time NFL MVP and eight-time rushing champ, he averaged 104.3 rushing yards per game – and never missed a game.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's crazy that he averaged 104 yards per game over a 9 year career! Which was considered short back in the day. Today, most RB's would pray for a 9 year career. Different era for sure, but still hugely impressive.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2023, 11:00 PM by mikesez.)

(05-19-2023, 09:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/FredTaylorMade/statu...57327?s=20

I'm sure Fred is using hyperbole, I'm sure the love Jacksonville fans and Florida fans gave him, and his family gave him over the years meant a lot, but of course when a guy like Jim Brown who doesn't know you and isn't a fan of your team speaks up, it means something more. 

That said, it really should have been many more people than just Jim Brown pointing out Fred's greatness. It's a black mark on the sports media that Brown was so alone on that point.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The NFL players were a lot smaller and slower back in the day, whereas Jim Brown had the size and speed of a current NFL RB which put him at a great advantage. He and Gayle Sayers were before my time but super impressive nevertheless. That said, as much as I hate to say it, I still consider OJ Simpson to be the greatest RB that I've seen play.

(05-22-2023, 09:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The NFL players were a lot smaller and slower back in the day, whereas Jim Brown had the size and speed of a current NFL RB which put him at a great advantage. He and Gayle Sayers were before my time but super impressive nevertheless. That said, as much as I hate to say it, I still consider OJ Simpson to be the greatest RB that I've seen play.

I tend to agree with this. Sayers was amazing, but his greatness was cut short by injury. OJ sustained it longer.

Of course, OJ in general was cut short by....cutting.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

This makes me sad, rip Jim you are a legend

When you're trying to build a Mt. Rushmore for NFL history. It's hard not to think of Jim Brown's image being one of the four heads to shape it. He truly was a legendary talent on the football field and he did a lot off the field as well between acting and some of his community work. He's a giant in this sport. He'll be greatly missed.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."