Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New cut rules.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2023, 12:26 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

How will the new cut down process effect teams?  Instead of multiple cuts there will be only one cut from the 90 man limit to 53.    

The new rules
Aug. 24-27 Third Preseason Weekend 

Aug. 29   Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

Aug. 29   Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

Aug. 29   Players who are on the Reserve List or Exempt List and are not counting against the 90-player limit will begin to count against the 90-player limit

Aug. 30   Upon receipt of the subsequent Personnel Notice, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 16 players. Clubs participating in the International Player Development Program may sign one additional international player to a practice player contract. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.

Aug. 30    Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, any player placed on Reserve/Injured, Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, or Practice Squad; Injured during the regular season or postseason, may be designated for return later in the season, subject to the applicable procedures.

Since about 4pm the next day teams can begin signing their practice squad guys it sounds like a mad house 24-48 hours for all involved. 

A few quick thoughts.
Will this increase or decrease a cut player's ability to catch on with other teams or reduce it?
How will it effect teams that are looking for a little help finding a guy or two?
Will it be considered tampering for agents to approach teams (or the reverse) prior to the player being cut? 
How will Belicheck use this to push the envelope and gain an advantage?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th year the league has had this method of a single cut?

Teams invariably make some moves prior to that anyway.

I noticed lots of transactions today around the league with depth players.

(08-07-2023, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Isn't this the 3rd or 4th year the league has had this method of a single cut?

I don't believe so.  see link.

https://www.therams.com/news/key-nfl-rul...-players-o

(08-07-2023, 01:30 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Isn't this the 3rd or 4th year the league has had this method of a single cut?

I don't believe so.  see link.

Interesting.

The owners voted on this change in the 2020 , or 2021 offseason IIRC. I remember posting about it here.  I thought they had already implemented it.
Thanks.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2023, 03:37 PM by Mikey.)

(08-07-2023, 12:23 PM)Jag149 Wrote: How will the new cut down process effect teams?  Instead of multiple cuts there will be only one cut from the 90 man limit to 53.    

The new rules
Aug. 24-27 Third Preseason Weekend 

Aug. 29   Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

Aug. 29   Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

Aug. 29   Players who are on the Reserve List or Exempt List and are not counting against the 90-player limit will begin to count against the 90-player limit

Aug. 30   Upon receipt of the subsequent Personnel Notice, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 16 players. Clubs participating in the International Player Development Program may sign one additional international player to a practice player contract. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.

Aug. 30    Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, any player placed on Reserve/Injured, Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, or Practice Squad; Injured during the regular season or postseason, may be designated for return later in the season, subject to the applicable procedures.

Since about 4pm the next day teams can begin signing their practice squad guys it sounds like a mad house 24-48 hours for all involved. 

A few quick thoughts.
Will this increase or decrease a cut player's ability to catch on with other teams or reduce it?
How will it effect teams that are looking for a little help finding a guy or two?
Will it be considered tampering for agents to approach teams (or the reverse) prior to the player being cut? 
How will Belicheck use this to push the envelope and gain an advantage?

The last PS game will allow some substitutions, thankfully. It will still be unwatchable.

Really sucks when you roll with 80 guys, know your 53 (or at least 50) and have to risk injury if you don't want the bubble/cuts going the full 60 mins.

Having the cuts in one cycle isn't really going to change much; Before, you kinda knew who were gonna be the first round of cuts. Rarely was it anyone that you were gonna stash away on your PS any how, or a vet that you were going to release early to get a jump on the big cuts and get some time in with a new team.

The one nice thing is it seems everything will be uniform and done in one fell swoop. Guys get one extra game to put down some film that otherwise would have been on the outside looking in back when multiple rounds of cuts were made. If you didn't make first cut, you likely were not going to see a field for the rest of the PS. Outside of that, it's the same deal, your scouts have been watching other teams' games and your own to know who fits, who doesn't, who's likely to stick, who isn't.

I think the effect will be very minimal. If the player is currently on a roster, there's no reason for the agent to approach other teams. Until the player is cut, he's under contract.

Bill will use this to his advantage if any players or teams request cuts in advance of the deadline. It's the only way I see any players becoming available before the conclusion of the preseason. If he has moles around the league leaking who's gonna get cut ahead of the deadline, he might be able to have a phone list ready to roll when the green light to sign free agents is given. @Looking at you, Schefty@

(08-07-2023, 02:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 01:30 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I don't believe so.  see link.

Interesting.

The owners voted on this change in the 2020 , or 2021 offseason IIRC. I remember posting about it here.  I thought they had already implemented it.
Thanks.

I seem  to remember something dinky like 5 players cut, or something like that as the first round. There were hardly ever any players worth a darn in that bunch.

(08-07-2023, 02:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 01:30 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I don't believe so.  see link.

Interesting.

Thanks.

Yeah I distinctly remember them making this exact same roster cut rule a few years back.  Either I'm misremembering and they just talked about it instead of implementing it, or possibly it was a temp or COVID only change.  It does make way more sense to have it this way instead.  Teams have been basically benching their starters for the final game anyways, it only makes sense to have a deeper roster for that game.

(08-07-2023, 05:14 PM)empty Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 02:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Interesting.

Thanks.

Yeah I distinctly remember them making this exact same roster cut rule a few years back.  Either I'm misremembering and they just talked about it instead of implementing it, or possibly it was a temp or COVID only change.  It does make way more sense to have it this way instead.  Teams have been basically benching their starters for the final game anyways, it only makes sense to have a deeper roster for that game.

I think perhaps they approved the new cut rule but waited until well after covid implications to implement it? Don't know. 
Not seeing an explanation in a cursory search and no time to deep dive it, but at least we know where we stand now. 

I'm really curious to see how many of our players form the late rounds of this year's draft make the 53 or PS. 

Washington, Hallet, Vohasek and Hodges all seem to be making a pretty good case to stick.

(08-07-2023, 05:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:14 PM)empty Wrote: Yeah I distinctly remember them making this exact same roster cut rule a few years back.  Either I'm misremembering and they just talked about it instead of implementing it, or possibly it was a temp or COVID only change.  It does make way more sense to have it this way instead.  Teams have been basically benching their starters for the final game anyways, it only makes sense to have a deeper roster for that game.

I think perhaps they approved the new cut rule but waited until well after covid implications to implement it? Don't know. 
Not seeing an explanation in a cursory search and no time to deep dive it, but at least we know where we stand now. 

I'm really curious to see how many of our players form the late rounds of this year's draft make the 53 or PS. 

Washington, Hallet, Vohasek and Hodges all seem to be making a pretty good case to stick.

So I figured it out.  From 2017-19, there was one cut date from 90 to 53, in 2020 there was a cut date in mid-August from 90 to 80 then down to 53.  The rules reverted back to pre-2017 rules for the 2021 season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news...d404lpqk3j
Quote:When are NFL roster cuts in 2020?
  • Roster cuts deadline: Saturday, Sept. 5
  • Deadline time: 4 p.m. ET
NFL teams are free to cut players whenever they want, but when the deadline of 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 5 arrives, all 32 rosters must consist of no more than 53 players on the active/inactive list. (Teams already had to trim their training camp rosters to a maximum of 80 players by Aug. 16.)
Prior to 2017, teams worked through multiple roster cut deadlines throughout the preseason to trim their personnel. Then the league's owners voted to create the format still used today — one deadline to trim rosters to 53 players upon the conclusion of the preseason.
In 2020, of course, there is no preseason, but the lone roster cuts deadline remains the same as originally scheduled. It lands a week before the start of the regular season.

(08-07-2023, 08:31 PM)empty Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think perhaps they approved the new cut rule but waited until well after covid implications to implement it? Don't know. 

So I figured it out.  From 2017-19, there was one cut date from 90 to 53, in 2020 there was a cut date in mid-August from 90 to 80 then down to 53.  The rules reverted back to pre-2017 rules for the 2021 season.

Quote:When are NFL roster cuts in 2020?
  • Roster cuts deadline: Saturday, Sept. 5
  • Deadline time: 4 p.m. ET
NFL teams are free to cut players whenever they want, but when the deadline of 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 5 arrives, all 32 rosters must consist of no more than 53 players on the active/inactive list. (Teams already had to trim their training camp rosters to a maximum of 80 players by Aug. 16.)
Prior to 2017, teams worked through multiple roster cut deadlines throughout the preseason to trim their personnel. Then the league's owners voted to create the format still used today — one deadline to trim rosters to 53 players upon the conclusion of the preseason.
In 2020, of course, there is no preseason, but the lone roster cuts deadline remains the same as originally scheduled. It lands a week before the start of the regular season.

getting closer...did not revert back after 2021.  That is why it is listed as a new rule in 2023...

When are NFL roster cuts 2022? 
53-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, Aug. 30
  • Time: 4 p.m. ET
By Tuesday, Aug. 30, every NFL team must reduce its roster to no more than 53 players. During the preseason, teams may hold up to 90 players, and in three separate phases, must cut down to the 53 players they'll carry during the regular season.

In addition to the 53-man roster, NFL practice squads will start to come into focus after that point. Teams are allowed to hold 16 players (within certain qualifications) on their practice squad (more on practice squads below).
In addition to the main cut day, there are two more deadlines during which NFL teams will trim their rosters in the coming weeks.
85-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, Aug. 16
80-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, Aug. 23

(08-07-2023, 09:49 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 08:31 PM)empty Wrote: So I figured it out.  From 2017-19, there was one cut date from 90 to 53, in 2020 there was a cut date in mid-August from 90 to 80 then down to 53.  The rules reverted back to pre-2017 rules for the 2021 season.

getting closer...did not revert back after 2021.  That is why it is listed as a new rule in 2023...

53-man roster deadline
By Tuesday, Aug. 30, every NFL team must reduce its roster to no more than 53 players. During the preseason, teams may hold up to 90 players, and in three separate phases, must cut down to the 53 players they'll carry during the regular season.

In addition to the 53-man roster, NFL practice squads will start to come into focus after that point. Teams are allowed to hold 16 players (within certain qualifications) on their practice squad (more on practice squads below).
In addition to the main cut day, there are two more deadlines during which NFL teams will trim their rosters in the coming weeks.
85-man roster deadline
80-man roster deadline

Um, yeah?  The new rule is that there's only one cut down date, which is how it was in 2017-2019.  In 2020-2022 there was more than one.  2020 had the two dates, and 2021 and 2022 had 3 dates from 90-85-80-53.  Though I was wrong, pre-2017 was just the 2 dates from 90-75-53, so technically 2020 was back to pre-2017 roster cut dates.  2021 and 2022 were just weird.

It's just going back to 2017-19 rules, but it's still technically a new rule.

(08-08-2023, 12:04 AM)empty Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:49 PM)Jag149 Wrote: getting closer...did not revert back after 2021.  That is why it is listed as a new rule in 2023...

53-man roster deadline

85-man roster deadline
80-man roster deadline

Um, yeah?  The new rule is that there's only one cut down date, which is how it was in 2017-2019.  In 2020-2022 there was more than one.  2020 had the two dates, and 2021 and 2022 had 3 dates from 90-85-80-53.  Though I was wrong, pre-2017 was just the 2 dates from 90-75-53, so technically 2020 was back to pre-2017 roster cut dates.  2021 and 2022 were just weird.

It's just going back to 2017-19 rules, but it's still technically a new rule.

Kind of weird how they have flip-flopped on this cut schedule.

Excited to see who we keep and stash on PS. (and who gets scooped up from our PS - I see three receivers going there who could be a number 4 elsewhere)