Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
8 billion-year-old radio signal reaches Earth

For you science fans out there......

8 billion-year-old radio signal reaches Earth

Astronomers have detected a mysterious blast of radio waves that have taken 8 billion years to reach Earth. The fast radio burst is one of the most distant and energetic ever observed.

Fast radio bursts, or FRBs, are intense, millisecond-long bursts of radio waves with unknown origins. The first FRB was discovered in 2007, and since then, hundreds of these quick, cosmic flashes have been detected coming from distant points across the universe.

https://www.aol.com/mysterious-fast-radi...ZOg-NONhN4
Wants to join the "cereal box" dating service. I've dated enough flakes and nuts...all I want is the prize now.
[Image: mds111.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm never figured out how scientists can differentiate between 7 billion years ago and 8 billion years ago. To a lesser extent, how do scientists know dinosaurs when extinct 65 million years ago. I mean, the era of Jesus was only 2,000 years ago so think about how long 65 million years is, much less 8 billion years.

(10-23-2023, 09:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm never figured out how scientists can differentiate between 7 billion years ago and 8 billion years ago.  To a lesser extent, how do scientists know dinosaurs when extinct 65 million years ago.  I mean,  the era of Jesus was only 2,000 years ago so think about how long 65 million years is, much less 8 billion years.

Red shift. Similar to the Doppler effect for sound, light shifts towards the longer red wavelengths the longer it travels. By studying the shift on a spectrum, astronomers can determine how far, and thus how long, light has traveled. 

Paleontologists determine how long ago dinosaurs became extinct by studying fossil beds within geologic strata with known ages. At a certain point dinosaurs bones suddenly stopped appearing in these geologic layers, which coincides with the K-T Boundary, a layer of iridium rich ash deposited around the globe from an asteroid strike.

I read a lot of science stuff.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 04:27 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-23-2023, 09:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 09:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm never figured out how scientists can differentiate between 7 billion years ago and 8 billion years ago.  To a lesser extent, how do scientists know dinosaurs when extinct 65 million years ago.  I mean,  the era of Jesus was only 2,000 years ago so think about how long 65 million years is, much less 8 billion years.

Red shift. Similar to the Doppler effect for sound, light shifts towards the longer red wavelengths the longer it travels. By studying the shift on a spectrum, astronomers can determine how far, and thus how long, light has traveled. 

Paleontologists determine how long ago dinosaurs became extinct by studying fossil beds within geologic strata with known ages. At a certain point dinosaurs bones suddenly stopped appearing in these geologic layers, which coincides with the K-T Boundary, a layer of iridium rich ash deposited around the globe from an asteroid strike.

I get the rationale behind their "scientific evidence" but I still don't buy them being able to differentiate between 7 and 8 billion years ago considering "scientists" just changed their minds on whether Pluto was even a planet or not.  I mean, that would seem a whole lot simpler then figuring out how many billions of years a radio wave took to reach earth.  But who are we to question it even though my formulas are telling me it only took 5.78 billion years.

(10-23-2023, 09:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Aging by the red shift is only possible when the source emission spectra is known and the cosmological principle is assumed.  So you can be precise within a common set of assumptions but what if those assumptions are wrong?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-23-2023, 02:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 09:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Red shift. Similar to the Doppler effect for sound, light shifts towards the longer red wavelengths the longer it travels. By studying the shift on a spectrum, astronomers can determine how far, and thus how long, light has traveled. 

Aging by the red shift is only possible when the source emission spectra is known and the cosmological principle is assumed.  So you can be precise within a common set of assumptions but what if those assumptions are wrong?

You’ll drive off the edge of the universe. Duh.

(10-23-2023, 03:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 02:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: Aging by the red shift is only possible when the source emission spectra is known and the cosmological principle is assumed.  So you can be precise within a common set of assumptions but what if those assumptions are wrong?

You’ll drive off the edge of the universe. Duh.

Eventually you'll land on a turtle's back though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-23-2023, 03:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 03:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You’ll drive off the edge of the universe. Duh.

Eventually you'll land on a turtle's back though.

And knowing my luck, it’ll be a snapping turtle.

[Image: 3da73fcaff71e84da6b2bcb428a3a6fa.jpg]

(10-23-2023, 02:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I get the rationale behind their "scientific evidence" but I still don't buy them being able to differentiate between 7 and 8 billion years ago considering "scientists" just changed their minds on whether Pluto was even a planet or not.  I mean, that would seem a whole lot simpler then figuring out how many billions of years a radio wave took to reach earth.  But who are we to question it even though my formulas are telling me it only took 5.78 billion years.

(10-23-2023, 02:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: Aging by the red shift is only possible when the source emission spectra is known and the cosmological principle is assumed.  So you can be precise within a common set of assumptions but what if those assumptions are wrong?

They can't prove anything without the assumptions being correct. Most of the time, those assumptions were in turn made from other assumptions. Most of science is just theory but if you change the perspective, then you can come up with a completely different theory.

Look at ways they use to date historical things and they have no clue if the current circumstances existed back then or effected the way they date things differently.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk