Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NBC removes Al Michaels from playoff coverage

Hallelujah. He should take this as a hint to hang it up.

They’re putting in Ian Eagle’s son. Anyone ever heard him announce?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nbc...r-AA1lowUo

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

NFL football needs Gus Johnson back

Commentators are so boring - I respected Al’s old school voice but it doesn’t serve well when a team is coming back from a 28-7 score in a wildcard playoff game ft two star QBs.

(12-13-2023, 04:33 PM)MojoKing Wrote: NFL football needs Gus Johnson back

Commentators are so boring - I respected Al’s old school voice but it doesn’t serve well when a team is coming back from a 28-7 score in a wildcard playoff game ft two star QBs.

I listened to him on the Thursday night game a couple of weeks ago with Dallas and Seattle.  He seemed animated enough to me on that one.  Admittedly it was an exciting game so very easy to get up and get animated for it.   I'm sure he's aware of the criticism from our playoff game last year and is intentionally focusing on delivery more this year.  Honestly, Herbstreit is a pro and says all the right things, but his voice/delivery is kinda low energy for me too. I realize he's the color guy and not the play by play guy, but his voice is a little soft spoken at times if not all the time for me.

(12-12-2023, 02:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hallelujah. He should take this as a hint to hang it up.

I haven't heard Noah Eagle announce an NFL game. I'm very happy that Noah is getting thus opportunity.  His father Ian is my favorite NFL and NBA announcer. IMHO, Noah is getting his opportunities on merit. 

I did hear Noah announce the Brooklyn Nets game against the Orlando Magic on Dec. 2 on the YES Network, when he filled in for Ian Eagle.  Noah Eagle did a great job working with Sarah Kustok,  the Nets primary game TV analyst on YES.  She's excellent in that role.  Noah grew up listening to his Dad announce Nets games and sounded much like him.  I think Noah has a very bright future as an NBA announcer.

We all know it's because Michaels criticized Swift..

"Dont make the sideshow the main show"..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Well, I do think some of these announcers are low energy.

Do announcers actually make the game more or less interesting?

(12-22-2023, 01:35 PM)Thewitnessofsolinvictus Wrote: Do announcers actually make the game more or less interesting?

A great call can definitley add to a play. Especially on rewatch. I still to this day will occasionally rewatch bartolo colons HR against the Padres while he was on the Mets just for Gary Cohens call of it.

(12-22-2023, 01:35 PM)Thewitnessofsolinvictus Wrote: Do announcers actually make the game more or less interesting?

They can be annoying or not.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023, 06:26 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Eh, the announcers never bothered me. They're just background noise for me. Most of us on this board could be a better announcer than most of those guys in the booth, so I provide the play by play in my own mind.

But I think I'd make a great color commentator..

TEAL!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Its probably time for him to step away, but hes certainly had his share of iconic calls.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-13-2023, 05:53 PM)D6 Wrote:
(12-12-2023, 02:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hallelujah. He should take this as a hint to hang it up.

I haven't heard Noah Eagle announce an NFL game. I'm very happy that Noah is getting thus opportunity.  His father Ian is my favorite NFL and NBA announcer. IMHO, Noah is getting his opportunities on merit. 

I did hear Noah announce the Brooklyn Nets game against the Orlando Magic on Dec. 2 on the YES Network, when he filled in for Ian Eagle.  Noah Eagle did a great job working with Sarah Kustok,  the Nets primary game TV analyst on YES.  She's excellent in that role.  Noah grew up listening to his Dad announce Nets games and sounded much like him.  I think Noah has a very bright future as an NBA announcer.

Noah Eagle did well. He's a real pro and a chip off the old block.

(12-24-2023, 12:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 05:53 PM)D6 Wrote: I haven't heard Noah Eagle announce an NFL game. I'm very happy that Noah is getting thus opportunity.  His father Ian is my favorite NFL and NBA announcer. IMHO, Noah is getting his opportunities on merit. 

Noah Eagle did well. He's a real pro and a chip off the old block.

This was my take when listening to Noah Eagle announce the Browns-Texans 1st Round playoff game with Todd Blackledge. It's evident that Noah has listened to his Dad Ian Eagle announce many, many NFL games. 

Even in a game that the outcome was all but officially decided in the early 4th QTR, I still wanted to hear the takes of Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge.  They worked very well together in the booth.  A Boston Yanks NFL team reference was one of Noah's nuggets.

Soon we will have John Madden and Howard Cosell back, once AI gets into full swing. No need to even have live announcers and analysts. Once you have 5-10 years of data on someone, you pretty much have every statement in conjunction with every scenario to automate this type of thing.

(01-17-2024, 02:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Soon we will have John Madden and Howard Cosell back, once AI gets into full swing.  No need to even have live announcers and analysts.  Once you have 5-10 years of data on someone, you pretty much have every statement in conjunction with every scenario to automate this type of thing.

You have no audio of John Madden trying to pronounce Tua's surname.

You have no recordings of Cosell speaking of the Jacksonville Jaguars (but then again that might apply to much of the mainstream broadcasters of today as well)

But if this is the case, AI will give us John Facenda narrating NFL Films highlight reels again, and yes I am here for that.