Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 Senior Bowl

A stacked Senior Bowl roster and a lot of targets for us.

Accepted Invites | Reese's Senior Bowl Mobile, Alabama

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2024, 08:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A stacked Senior Bowl roster and a lot of targets for us.

Accepted Invites | Reese's Senior Bowl Mobile, Alabama

Yeah. Really good group of players in this one. In particular, that WR group is stacked and full of talent. This is probably a 6th RD deep WR class in my opinion. I don't think you'll find a Puka Nacua or anybody like that, but, wouldn't surprise me if a guy like Pearsall, McConkey, Rice or Wilson is there on day three and they have good rookie runs somewhere. 

The TE class is "meh" this year. Not nearly as deep as last year's. Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Javion Cohen & Zach Frazier are offensive lineman I'll be looking at closely. I think that's a group of guys that I like for this football team. Guyton and Barton have 1st RD potential but need really strong showings and Cohen and Frazier I think are RD3 guys. 

Really, really looking forward to seeing Joe Milton, Spencer Rattler and Sam Hartman at QB though. I wouldn't mind one of those guys on day three as a developmental QB/Insurance policy to Trevor Lawrence in 2024/2025. Especially Milton. He has an absolute cannon for an arm and his size makes him durable and tough to take down. 

Defensively keep an eye out on Tyler Davis out of Clemson at DT and Braden Fiske at DT out of FSU. Very good pass rushing interior options for us if we play our cards right and match our boards up right.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024, 08:36 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/1/27/...edule-2024

The Senior Bowl has coined “The draft starts in Mobile” for a while now. With a very low number of underclassmen declaring for this year’s draft, the Senior Bowl is more important than ever.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 07:42 PM by Caldrac.)

I think we're finally getting caught up now on the 5th year senior group with Covid out of the way.

There's a good chance to land starting caliber players well into RD4 and RD5 this year for a lot of teams.

I think the interior groups are a little more deeper than usual. I think this receiving class is deep. I think there's some promising QB talent to be had much later on in this class as well.

The only groups that seem pretty shallow to me are the TE group, the LB group and the RB group. Defensively I think there's a lot of tweeners this year that can play DT/DE and DE/OLB.

Fun class for sure though. Hopefully Baalke and Pederson can figure this one out.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...52232?s=20

He's apparently been killing it at guard and center.

JPJ man

(01-30-2024, 01:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...52232?s=20

JPJ man

Yeah. If he can play either position he's more than likely worth the value there. Just a little concerned with Baalke's doublespeak during his press conference. 

In one breath, he said that Fortner is a good player, looked good, played well, etc. 

In the other breath, he said this team needs to get more physical and stronger. 

JPJ offers that to you and he'll more than likely be available when we're on the clock.

(01-30-2024, 01:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...52232?s=20

JPJ man

I have to see how he runs and jumps first

-Trent Baalke

Tony Pauline has been throwing out great updates while watching practice via twitter/X. He's had some good remarks regarding JPJ as well, he's also mentioned Rosengarten as a good looking offensive tackle out of BYU I believe. There's another kid out there from Duke absolutely mauling people as well. Not named Barton.

This is looking like one of two things, either, this offensive line class senior wise is really deep and really promising, or, this defensive line class senior wise is really bloated and not nearly as promising once you get outside of the RD1 and RD2 discussion. Can't wait for the actual game though. Should be good.

The comments on JPJ after practice on day 1 were overwhelmingly positive. Considering he has only one year experience as a starting center, how high is his ceiling? If he does very well in team interviews and continues to dominate in pre-draft workouts, would it be a reach to take him with the 17th pick? While I was initially leaning towards taking someone like Fuaga who can play guard or tackle, JPJ must be given strong consideration. There would be many worse things than taking a strong, reliable center who could be snapping the ball to Lawrence for the next decade. Centers are rarely taken in round 1, but history indicates those that were taken turned out to be very good choices. Nick Mangold, Travis Frederick, Ryan Kelly and Frank Ragnow are 4 examples of this.

Free agency additions (and subtractions) will determine the direction the Jaguars decide to go in the draft. The center group looks o.k., but nobody stands out as a slam-dunk addition. It will be very interesting to see how far up JPJ moves in mocks following Senior Bowl week. My guess is he'll be in several 1st rounds.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024, 04:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://blackandteal.com/posts/jaguars-d...yMnhurd2Vc

(01-31-2024, 04:29 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The comments on JPJ after practice on day 1 were overwhelmingly positive. Considering he has only one year experience as a starting center, how high is his ceiling? If he does very well in team interviews and continues to dominate in pre-draft workouts, would it be a reach to take him with the 17th pick? While I was initially leaning towards taking someone like Fuaga who can play guard or tackle, JPJ must be given strong consideration. There would be many worse things than taking a strong, reliable center who could be snapping the ball to Lawrence for the next decade. Centers are rarely taken in round 1, but history indicates those that were taken turned out to be very good choices. Nick Mangold, Travis Frederick, Ryan Kelly and Frank Ragnow are 4 examples of this.

Free agency additions (and subtractions) will determine the direction the Jaguars decide to go in the draft. The center group looks o.k., but nobody stands out as a slam-dunk addition. It will be very interesting to see how far up JPJ moves in mocks following Senior Bowl week. My guess is he'll be in several 1st rounds.
He's been my favorite prospect for a while now but I wasn't sure how he would test at the combine.  To take a center at 17 he needs to be dominant like JPJ was this past year and test well.  If he tests well he's a lock to go in the first imo and a high possibility at our pick if Baalke has any clue what he's doing

(01-31-2024, 04:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://blackandteal.com/posts/jaguars-d...yMnhurd2Vc

(01-31-2024, 04:29 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The comments on JPJ after practice on day 1 were overwhelmingly positive. Considering he has only one year experience as a starting center, how high is his ceiling? If he does very well in team interviews and continues to dominate in pre-draft workouts, would it be a reach to take him with the 17th pick? While I was initially leaning towards taking someone like Fuaga who can play guard or tackle, JPJ must be given strong consideration. There would be many worse things than taking a strong, reliable center who could be snapping the ball to Lawrence for the next decade. Centers are rarely taken in round 1, but history indicates those that were taken turned out to be very good choices. Nick Mangold, Travis Frederick, Ryan Kelly and Frank Ragnow are 4 examples of this.

He's been my favorite prospect for a while now but I wasn't sure how he would test at the combine.  To take a center at 17 he needs to be dominant like JPJ was this past year and test well.  If he tests well he's a lock to go in the first imo and a high possibility at our pick if Baalke has any clue what he's doing

I have to agree here. Unless they land a top two, three Center that's available in March this guy needs to be on our radar. I think his combine results will reflect the exact same power, strength, explosiveness and athlete that we see in these drills and on film.

The fact that he can also play guard gives him even more value in my opinion. Hell, even if they did sign a Center I would be tempted to take him just as a massive insurance policy with the intent of him playing LG or RG as a rookie.

(01-31-2024, 04:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 04:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://blackandteal.com/posts/jaguars-d...yMnhurd2Vc

I have to agree here. Unless they land a top two, three Center that's available in March this guy needs to be on our radar. I think his combine results will reflect the exact same power, strength, explosiveness and athlete that we see in these drills and on film.

The fact that he can also play guard gives him even more value in my opinion. Hell, even if they did sign a Center I would be tempted to take him just as a massive insurance policy with the intent of him playing LG or RG as a rookie.
It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to sign a less expensive free agent at center who could start for a year before moving JPJ to that spot in his 2nd season. I've seen some on this thread have liked Jon Feliciano, who signed a 1 year deal last season with the 49er's. He is a great run-blocker who can play center or guard and I doubt he'd cost that much since he's on the wrong side of 30.

(01-31-2024, 05:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 04:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I have to agree here. Unless they land a top two, three Center that's available in March this guy needs to be on our radar. I think his combine results will reflect the exact same power, strength, explosiveness and athlete that we see in these drills and on film.

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to sign a less expensive free agent at center who could start for a year before moving JPJ to that spot in his 2nd season. I've seen some on this thread have liked Jon Feliciano, who signed a 1 year deal last season with the 49er's. He is a great run-blocker who can play center or guard and I doubt he'd cost that much since he's on the wrong side of 30.

Yeah. Agreed on that idea as well. Again, for me, this is where Baalke and his scouting department have to start earning their salt. 2023's draft class felt an awful like they were preparing to backfill several roster spots and the coaching staff will have to ultimately pull the best out of these guys, however, when you make those decisions you run the risk of short term impact at other key positions. 

Now, we're two years into this regime with the same exact issues on the table that need to be addressed now. It cannot go another off season without being addressed. If they fail in bolstering the interior positions on the offensive and defensive line they'll have no chance at getting back to .500 or better in 2024. 

I think our schedule this season is just as tough as last year's schedule.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024, 05:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Damn. #becausejaguars

https://x.com/nfldraftscout/status/17527...81424?s=20

(01-31-2024, 05:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Damn.  #becausejaguars

https://x.com/nfldraftscout/status/17527...81424?s=20

Hopefully this is nothing major. He was having another good day until going down. In the case JPJ isn't taken in round 1, Christian Haynes looks like an alternative they could get in the 3rd round. 

The receiver class keeps looking better and better. Roman Wilson has looked great so far and can be added to the long list of receivers likely to be selected by the end of day 2. Malachi Corley is another possible day 2 choice. The decision on Ridley will be critical, but if they decide to part ways the team should be able to find a good receiver in the draft before the 2nd day of the draft ends. It's unlikely they'll have the production of Ridley from this past season, but they could eventually become a starter and provide better value than the big price Ridley will command.

Fuaga looked dominant today and remains a very solid option on draft day. With 3 quarterbacks likely to be taken in the top 10 and possibly 4 in the top 15 if someone falls in love with Pennix or McCarthy, the Jaguars are likely to have several options when on the clock at pick 17. In addition to Fuaga, one of the pass rushers ( Latu, Verse or Turner from the Edge or Newton from the inside), cornerbacks Wiggins or Arnold and even a receiver like Odunze ( if he drops) must all be in consideration for the top pick. Since the first 2 rounds look so deep, the Jaguars might even be best off dropping back a few spots in case they get a trade offer. Baalke actually did one good thing in the 2023 draft by trading back a few times in round 1 and still getting Harrison. If he could do this again and still get any of the players mentioned above, including JPJ, it would have to be considered.

T’Vondre Sweat is one of my favorite players in this draft.

(02-01-2024, 08:03 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: T’Vondre Sweat is one of my favorite players in this draft.

[Image: th?id=OGC.A009F5B6770FECBB3BF3ADBA6375F4...zTWUJt4%3d]

(02-01-2024, 08:03 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: T’Vondre Sweat is one of my favorite players in this draft.

After seeing this, I wanted to read up more on Sweat- who has also been intriguing to me. I have to admit- the more I read, the more I liked him! He was truly a difference maker for Texas' defense as few teams could run effectively against them. Despite being at least 360 pounds ( he didn't weigh in at Mobile ), he moves more like a defensive end. His athleticism is off the charts as was evidenced by his also being a basketball star in high school who earned defensive player of the year. He had the ability to cover both guards and centers on the court. Since graduating high school, he gained 100 pounds which certainly doesn't always improve someone's effectiveness on the field. Getting used to this weight gain could certainly explain some of his inconsistency while at Texas. 

Of course, the big question is whether Sweat would be worth taking at pick 17. Due to his weight, there is certainly some risk ( see Mehki Becton and other mammoth draft picks who failed). In my opinion, this is where your GM and scouting dept. earn ( or don't earn) their money. While interviews with the player and his previous coaches and psychological testing are no guarantee, this is most important for any first round pick. The Jaguars have somewhat of a history in taking 1st rounders who had "issues" that should have not been missed. Justin Blackmon is the best example as one team ( Tampa ) took him off their board due to the time he spent at a local bar at Oklahoma State. Tampa's scout literally spent a week hanging out at the bar Blackmon was known to frequent and did not like what he saw. They subsequently traded that pick to the Jaguars who moved up 2 spots to take Blackmon and we all know how that turned out. R.J. Soward and Matt Jones were also very risky picks for different reasons, but both failed to reach their potential with the Jaguars.

Sweat appears to have no problem with his character and is considered a hard worker. He also has a very engaging personality and is likely to be very well-liked by the fans. His love of country music would also appeal to much of the local fanbase. If he hits a home run in the pre-draft evaluations, he may not even be available at pick 17. If he is, Baalke's decision will be very tough. If he actually performs to his NFL ceiling, he would not only help any team's run defense, but also enable the pass rushers to thrive. I don't know what type of defense Nielsen will utilize, but imagine Sweat lining up next to Travon Walker on certain schemes. It's hard to imagine the defense wouldn't thrive with those two rushing from the inside and Josh Allen from the outside. 

This Board will likely be having several debates whether Sweat or a dominant offensive lineman like JPJ or Fuaga would be the better pick. Free agency will help answer many of our questions, but there's no doubt that Sweat must be a consideration at pick 17.

(02-01-2024, 11:46 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:

After seeing this, I wanted to read up more on Sweat- who has also been intriguing to me. I have to admit- the more I read, the more I liked him! He was truly a difference maker for Texas' defense as few teams could run effectively against them. Despite being at least 360 pounds ( he didn't weigh in at Mobile ), he moves more like a defensive end. His athleticism is off the charts as was evidenced by his also being a basketball star in high school who earned defensive player of the year. He had the ability to cover both guards and centers on the court. Since graduating high school, he gained 100 pounds which certainly doesn't always improve someone's effectiveness on the field. Getting used to this weight gain could certainly explain some of his inconsistency while at Texas. 

Of course, the big question is whether Sweat would be worth taking at pick 17. Due to his weight, there is certainly some risk ( see Mehki Becton and other mammoth draft picks who failed). In my opinion, this is where your GM and scouting dept. earn ( or don't earn) their money. While interviews with the player and his previous coaches and psychological testing are no guarantee, this is most important for any first round pick. The Jaguars have somewhat of a history in taking 1st rounders who had "issues" that should have not been missed. Justin Blackmon is the best example as one team ( Tampa ) took him off their board due to the time he spent at a local bar at Oklahoma State. Tampa's scout literally spent a week hanging out at the bar Blackmon was known to frequent and did not like what he saw. They subsequently traded that pick to the Jaguars who moved up 2 spots to take Blackmon and we all know how that turned out. R.J. Soward and Matt Jones were also very risky picks for different reasons, but both failed to reach their potential with the Jaguars.

Sweat appears to have no problem with his character and is considered a hard worker. He also has a very engaging personality and is likely to be very well-liked by the fans. His love of country music would also appeal to much of the local fanbase. If he hits a home run in the pre-draft evaluations, he may not even be available at pick 17. If he is, Baalke's decision will be very tough. If he actually performs to his NFL ceiling, he would not only help any team's run defense, but also enable the pass rushers to thrive. I don't know what type of defense Nielsen will utilize, but imagine Sweat lining up next to Travon Walker on certain schemes. It's hard to imagine the defense wouldn't thrive with those two rushing from the inside and Josh Allen from the outside. 

This Board will likely be having several debates whether Sweat or a dominant offensive lineman like JPJ or Fuaga would be the better pick. Free agency will help answer many of our questions, but there's no doubt that Sweat must be a consideration at pick 17.
All Pro potential at NT.  Outland trophy winner.  He reminds me of Dexter Lawrence who went 17th overall

(02-01-2024, 12:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 11:46 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: After seeing this, I wanted to read up more on Sweat- who has also been intriguing to me. I have to admit- the more I read, the more I liked him! He was truly a difference maker for Texas' defense as few teams could run effectively against them. Despite being at least 360 pounds ( he didn't weigh in at Mobile ), he moves more like a defensive end. His athleticism is off the charts as was evidenced by his also being a basketball star in high school who earned defensive player of the year. He had the ability to cover both guards and centers on the court. Since graduating high school, he gained 100 pounds which certainly doesn't always improve someone's effectiveness on the field. Getting used to this weight gain could certainly explain some of his inconsistency while at Texas. 

All Pro potential at NT.  Outland trophy winner.  He reminds me of Dexter Lawrence who went 17th overall

That's a good comp. Lawrence has become one of the top DT in the NFL. Maybe the fact he was taken at 17 is a sign for what the Jaguars should do.