Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Belichick out?

(01-11-2024, 06:20 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: His record without Brady is pathetic.

This.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-12-2024, 12:10 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Dudes a terrible GM, but he's a great coach. Look at the Patriots roster tho lol i might take our #1 overall pick teams over that pile of [BLEEP].

How is he a great coach?  Really?  Once Brady left he went to mediocrity or worse.  What did Brady do?  Win another Super Bowl…without the ‘great coach’.  He’s so [BLEEP] overrated.  It’s easy to be a ‘great coach’ when you have the best QB ever.  Good grief.  Look at his [BLEEP] record WITHOUT Brady.

Wait. How do you think they won those Super Bowls in the early 2000s? Brady wasn’t even that good at that point.

Brady certainly gets a ton of credit but in 2001 he threw 1 TD pass in their entire run to the SB.

Then in 2018 Brady only threw 2 TD passes in their run.

Mayo named next HC for Patriots. Youngest coach now at 37.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1745802628179574899?s=20

Dude has some big shoes to fill. The best of luck to him (except when they play the Jags).

This is a bit of a shocker. Really thought it was going to be Vrabel.

The recovery won't happen fast enough and Mayo will be replaced in 2-3 years is my guess. I question the hiring of a guy who has no head coaching or coordinator experience to lead an NFL franchise. I've never delved into that so I could be way off. Any instances of hiring someone with only positional coaching experience working out as HC?

(01-12-2024, 11:13 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The recovery won't happen fast enough and Mayo will be replaced in 2-3 years is my guess.  I question the hiring of a guy who has no head coaching or coordinator experience to lead an NFL franchise.  I've never delved into that so I could be way off.  Any instances of hiring someone with only positional coaching experience working out as HC?

Mike Tomlin was only one year as DC with the Vikings before getting the job in Pittsburgh.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 11:27 AM by snarkyguy_he_him_his.)

(01-12-2024, 11:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:13 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The recovery won't happen fast enough and Mayo will be replaced in 2-3 years is my guess.  I question the hiring of a guy who has no head coaching or coordinator experience to lead an NFL franchise.  I've never delved into that so I could be way off.  Any instances of hiring someone with only positional coaching experience working out as HC?

Mike Tomlin was only one year as DC with the Vikings before getting the job in Pittsburgh.
DC is a much bigger position than LB coach.

Just saying. I wish him the best but I don't see it being successful

(01-12-2024, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:10 AM)RicoTx Wrote: How is he a great coach?  Really?  Once Brady left he went to mediocrity or worse.  What did Brady do?  Win another Super Bowl…without the ‘great coach’.  He’s so [BLEEP] overrated.  It’s easy to be a ‘great coach’ when you have the best QB ever.  Good grief.  Look at his [BLEEP] record WITHOUT Brady.

Wait. How do you think they won those Super Bowls in the early 2000s? Brady wasn’t even that good at that point.

Brady certainly gets a ton of credit but in 2001 he threw 1 TD pass in their entire run to the SB.

Come on, you know better than that.  Throwing touchdown passes is the only watermark for a great quarterback?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-12-2024, 11:34 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait. How do you think they won those Super Bowls in the early 2000s? Brady wasn’t even that good at that point.

Come on, you know better than that.  Throwing touchdown passes is the only watermark for a great quarterback?
How can you possibly win a SB when your QB throws for 1 TD pass in the entire playoffs?

Call me crazy, but it's possible both Brady and Belichick are good. Elevating one, doesn't have to mean he carried the other.

Belichick is a great organizational leader and a great DC. I don't know how involved he gets on the offensive side of the ball but I get the sense he tries to have good people on that side so he doesn't have to worry about it too much.

(01-12-2024, 04:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Call me crazy, but it's possible both Brady and Belichick are good.  Elevating one, doesn't have to mean he carried the other.

Belichick is a great organizational leader and a great DC.  I don't know how involved he gets on the offensive side of the ball but I get the sense he tries to have good people on that side so he doesn't have to worry about it too much.

I don't know man. I kind of get a John Lennon and Yoko Ono vibe from those two. The real talent left and died in 1980. Brady wrote the hits. Belichick was just kind of there.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 04:47 PM by D6.)

(01-12-2024, 09:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mayo named next HC for Patriots. Youngest coach now at 37.

If Lions OC Ben Johnson becomes an NFL HC in the coming weeks, he would become the youngest NFL HC (compared to Jared Mayo) by around 2 1/2 months.  Texans OC Bobby Slowik, another NFL Assistant Coach drawing interest as an NFL HC, would probably be the youngest NFL HC, if he lands an NFL HC job this winter. Slowik is a few weeks younger than Ben Johnson.

(01-12-2024, 11:07 AM)Jagger Wrote: This is a bit of a shocker. Really thought it was going to be Vrabel.

The most surprising aspect at least to me, is Patriots Owner Bob Kraft didn't even bring Mike Vrabel, or anyone else outside the Patriots organization, for an interview.  Jared Mayo could turn out to be a great choice.  But why limit your options to such an extent?

(01-12-2024, 04:42 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 09:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mayo named next HC for Patriots. Youngest coach now at 37.

If Lions OC Ben Johnson becomes an NFL HC in the coming weeks, he would become the youngest NFL HC (compared to Jared Mayo) by around 2 1/2 months.  Texans OC Bobby Slowik, another NFL Assistant Coach drawing interest as an NFL HC, would probably be the youngest NFL HC, if he lands an NFL HC job this winter. Slowik is a few weeks younger than Ben Johnson.

For the sake of my team? I hope Slowik bounces. For the sake of your team? I hope Ben sticks around a little bit longer. 

Slowik's career is interesting. He was apart of that clique in Washington with Shanahan, McVay & McDaniel. Slowik is intriguing because he started off on the defensive side of the football coaching wise and he's struck Gold now in one year. 

I think he'll probably stick it out a little bit longer in Houston as well. Amazing Washington had that much talent just standing around on the sideline and somehow, someway, they replaced Mike Shanahan with Jay Gruden.

(01-12-2024, 04:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:42 PM)D6 Wrote: If Lions OC Ben Johnson becomes an NFL HC in the coming weeks, he would become the youngest NFL HC (compared to Jared Mayo) by around 2 1/2 months.  Texans OC Bobby Slowik, another NFL Assistant Coach drawing interest as an NFL HC, would probably be the youngest NFL HC, if he lands an NFL HC job thleais winter. Slowik is a few weeks younger than Ben Johnson.

For the sake of my team? I hope Slowik bounces. For the sake of your team? I hope Ben sticks around a little bit longer. 

Slowik's career is interesting. He was apart of that clique in Washington with Shanahan, McVay & McDaniel. Slowik is intriguing because he started off on the defensive side of the football coaching wise and he's struck Gold now in one year. 

I think he'll probably stick it out a little bit longer in Houston as well. Amazing Washington had that much talent just standing around on the sideline and somehow, someway, they replaced Mike Shanahan with Jay Gruden.

That definitely would be a great outcome!

The Texans certainly hit Home Runs with DeMeco Ryans, Bobby Slowik, and CJ Stroud.  If Slowik leaves Houston for an NFL HC job, the decision by Ryans on who to hire to replace Slowik would rank near the top of the list of the key 2024 off-season decisions in the AFC.  

Mike Shanahan did indeed put together a heck of a young coaching staff in Washington. I think all of these high caliber coaches benefited greatly by leaving Washington, compared to remaining in that organization even as HC.

(01-12-2024, 04:58 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote: For the sake of my team? I hope Slowik bounces. For the sake of your team? I hope Ben sticks around a little bit longer. 

That definitely would be a great outcome!

The Texans certainly hit Home Runs with DeMeco Ryans, Bobby Slowik, and CJ Stroud.  If Slowik leaves Houston for an NFL HC job, the decision by Ryans on who to hire to replace Slowik would rank near the top of the list of the key 2024 off-season decisions in the AFC.  

Mike Shanahan did indeed put together a heck of a young coaching staff in Washington. I think all of these high caliber coaches benefited greatly by leaving Washington, compared to remaining in that organization even as HC.

Agreed. Washington is a dumpster fire. It may be different now under new ownership. Time will tell.

(01-12-2024, 05:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:58 PM)D6 Wrote: That definitely would be a great outcome!

Agreed. Washington is a dumpster fire. It may be different now under new ownership. Time will tell.

With the Washington franchise absolutely needing a new stadium, their GM and HC hirings are critical in their quest to get the franchise to even close to the high level it was, when Joe Gibbs was their HC, in his first HC stint with them.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 06:22 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-12-2024, 04:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Call me crazy, but it's possible both Brady and Belichick are good.  Elevating one, doesn't have to mean he carried the other.

Belichick is a great organizational leader and a great DC.  I don't know how involved he gets on the offensive side of the ball but I get the sense he tries to have good people on that side so he doesn't have to worry about it too much.

I don't know man. I kind of get a John Lennon and Yoko Ono vibe from those two. The real talent left and died in 1980. Brady wrote the hits. Belichick was just kind of there.

9 years out of 10 they have a great defense.  Little to nothing ever getting out to the media from their locker room is not a Brady exerting his will and greatness on the organization type of thing, that comes from the organizational head.  Freddy T talking about the organizational differences between here and there and putting theirs on a pedestal any time he's asked about it is not a result of a directive from Brady, that's a head coach type of thing.  Are they going to 9 super bowls without Brady or someone of that caliber?  Probably not, but they would have probably been to a few with even adequate QB play and their defense which was usually one of the best in the league.

As far as coaching. BB is the GOAT. With that said he's not a good GM or someone I want making the draft picks. He he had a good GM in NE he would still be winning and in the playoffs. He can't draft