Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
YOU are the GM! Fix the team!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 08:47 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 2 times in total.)

We are adopting the philosophy that it all starts up front. The big ugly men up front are the most important part of my ball club.  Through the draft and free agency, I am focusing on both interior offensive and defensive lines.

FREE AGENTS:
Josh Allen: work out a good deal or franchise tag
Agnew: Try to work out a cap friendly deal for both sides
Smoot: gone
Chaisson: Should of been cut 2 years ago
Ridley: Depending on the cap number and draft captial. If we can avoid the second rounder and not break the bank.
Herndon: Will try to resign for depth. Decent backup
Shatley: If cap number is right would resign for depth
McManus: Resign
Cleveland: gone
Johnson: gone
Blackson: gone
Barkley: gone
*there are no other jaguar pending free agents I would resign

Offensive Line: Need LG, C,RG
Cutting Scheriff
Keeping Cam Robinson
Luke Fortner demoted to guard or cut
Harrison stays put
Walker Little Depth with extensive work at guard in the offseason
The line is getting a complete rebuild outside of the tackles. Walker little will get a chance to prove he deserves a chance to start on the line.

Defensive Line: Need Edge and interior defensive line
Allen: Will be there
Walker: I am Hiring a 4-3 defensive minded coach and moving him inside at DT.   I may even want a DC coach with a cover 2 or zone scheme. I believe Walker will be disruptive inside.
End Opposite Allen: Will get one in the draft or free agency
bring in lots of competition to compete with Harris and Hamilton

Linebackers:
Olouokon is the Mike
Telvin Smith sorry Delvin Lloyd will be a weak side edge rushing linebacker
Need to find another LB if any of the ones we drafted cannot step up. There will be a competition will be searching in free agency and the draft

Defensive Back:
Darious Williams Will start outside
Tyson Campbell will start outside and expect much improved play because he is a better zone corner
Nickle we need to find in the draft or free agency
Cisco: Starts at FS
SS: It is a competition between Antonio Johnson and Dewey Wingard(who played better than most people know this season)

RB:
ETN will of course start
Bring in competition to push Bigsby
I also am a fan of having a fullback and plan on bringing one on the team for 4th and short situations. I want a GREG JONES type of player.

Wide Receiver:
If the team can keep Ridley I believe he will become that alpha WR we need.  IF we cannot, the team has to hunt for at the least a good #2 receiver to compliment Kirk.
Kirk: He continues
Zay Jones: When healthy he is a good player too
Bring in one in the draft if a guy I like falls to me in the top 4 rounds. Overall I am happy at WR. The issue this year were mostly injuries.

Tight End:
Engram: Stays
Strange: Rotation with Engram. Hopefully we can get something out of this second round pick.

Kicker:
Mcmanus: I resign him. Overall, he did a great job most of the year outside of that 5 kick skid late in the season. He has a leg and I trust him.

QB:
We roll with Lawrence on year 4 with a very close eye on him. I as a GM and going to invest every resource for his success. I vow to obtain a better offensive line and cater the offense to his needs. If he proves that he is the QB behind all the hype that is fantastic and we will give him his mega deal next off-season. IF he continues his inconsistent play I may have to bring in competition the following year and let his 5th year option play out. I am on the fence on Lawrence. Neither boom nor bust at this point IMO. I do know to win a Superbowl, one almost always needs a Boom of a QB. I do not know if Lawrence is the guy.

Draft:
It is hard to say if the Jags get comp picks this year or not. The team did pick up an extra 4th from NO but also lost a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Ridley Deal. The jags also My draft philosophy is going to be real simple. I and a team of people I trust, build a big board of the top 200 players. In the first 4 rounds I pick the best big guy either interior offensive line or defensive line in each round. The one exception is if a receiver I really love drops an entire round on my board. The late round picks I use for depth and competition.

FREE AGENCY:
Resign Josh Allen:
Try to hit a home run with Chris Jones if he hits the market (yes I know it would be a big contract but would be worth it) Plan B would be Brian Burns
See if Tee Higgins can be got for a decent price
Cold call and see if I can score some Big Uglies for my scheme on prices that I can live with their cap number. The truth is going crazy in free agency, rarely pays off.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like it overall

I personally think Tank will be fine once the line is fixed.

Even ETN couldnt get a solid YPC average behind these clowns.

I already fixed the team (see The Big Picture Thread). To summarize:

Release Cam Robinson, Scherff, Jenkins and Fatukasi- Save slightly over $50 million in cap space.

Sign Josh Allen, Bryce Huff (pass rusher), Lloyd Cushenberry (center) and Kevin Dotson.

Let Calvin Ridley walk and replace him with a 2nd round pick.

Draft OL in round 1 (Fuaga/Fautanu), receiver in round 2 (Franklin, Leggett, Walker, Worthy or Mitchell) and nose tackle with compensatory pick at the end of Rd. 3 (Jackson)

Remaining draft picks provide depth in secondary, offensive line and pass rush.

New offensive line: Harrison/Dotson/Cushenberry/Fuaga/Little

Hire defensive coordinator with best scheme to improve the pass rush and run defense. Huff and McKinley Jackson can be difference-makers if used correctly.

New offensive line will transform the team from being "soft" to one which takes pride in bullying opposing defenses. Running game is revitalized and Lawrence will be able to lead the team to another AFC South title after an off-season when many had lost faith in him.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 10:24 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m keeping Cam Robinson. With the offensive line we have, we’re no better without him. Lock up Cleveland. Put Harrison in the film room and fully expect him to be a premier tackle in this league for years to come. Cut Scherff, replace with Hodges. Sign a FA Center by restructuring Robinson’s contract which would benefit both parties or keep Fortner. Keep Little and Shatley as swings.

Add a FB for certain games and schemes, someone I can keep on the PS.

Find a way to keep Agnew for 1 more season. He has the ability to flip the field at crucial points in the game. He offers slot and backup WR ability with open field speed that can’t be ignored. Dude is on another planet with his speed. His value is huge to this team.

I’d keep McManus. Cooke is one of the better punters in the NFL so he stays.

Ridley: I’d keep him if I can give up a 3rd, but I’d be iffy on that 2nd rounder PLUS a contract. I’d probably keep him if I’m looking at the big picture. Zay was injured, Kirk was injured, Ag was injured so Ridley was all we had at times. After thinking about it, I’d find a way to keep Ridley. Keeping Kirk. Keeping Zay.

Etienne is a no-brainer. He scored 11 TDs.

On defense, I’m paying Allen.

Foye Oluokun, I’m on the fence. Henry ran all over us with him on defense.

I’m cutting Jenkins and replacing him with Johnson or Wingard.

Resigning Herndon for 1 year for 2 mill.

Hamilton is getting restructured/period.

RHH - anything that favors the team. He gives me nothing extra that a 7th rounder can’t give me.

Fotkasi - see above

Smoot - sign him and play him at DT full time. That gives me Walker, Allen, and Smoot on the field at the same time. They have a total of 82 sacks between them.

Find a way to bring in a veteran defensive end that can give me 5 to 7 sacks, on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Draft MIP: Most Impactful Player. If I was forced to give a positional player via the draft, I would go DLine. 3TDT that can penetrate and wreck plays with Allen and Walker screaming off the edges.

I’d also target a technician at guard that offers starter potential on day 1 that gives me flexibility along that offensive line. If I can get a Vince Manny type of player in the first 3 rounds I’d be happy with that.

Best available player should always be on the menu.

Coach up my rising players like Brown, A.Johnson, Hodges, Harrison, Strange, Miller, Washington, Junior, and hopefully Bigsby. Brown offers starter ability, along with Johnson, Hodges and Miller. I’ve said from day 1 that Harrison is the best LT on this team, but I’m good where he’s at. Still gotta block the guy in front of you.

The DC needs to find a way to get our best playmakers on the field at the same time. Moving Allen around is paramount at this point in his career. Him and Walker have the ability to obliterate offensive guards. I think Smoot is an above average DT from a pass rushing standpoint.

Campbell and Williams are my corners at all cost with Cisco at the free.

If Agnew can’t be retained, I’m going with Washington in the return game.

I’m scouting the 2nd and 3rd wave of Free Agents for any type of pass rush help, whether it’s from the inside or outside. I’m also looking for any veteran RB that can offer reliability on and off the field. As of right now D.Johnson is my RB2.

I’m keeping the culture of the team in mind with every move.

My goal is to win the division and get to the playoffs, and then go from there.

I will have to accept that Doug is the Head Coach, not the offensive coordinator and I’ll learn to live with Taylor as the play caller.

I’m putting Lawrence in bubble wrap until week 1 so his body can fully heal.

Oh this isn't going to go over well...but in the spirit of the thread title here's what I would do. 

Trade Trevor Lawrence to the Bears for their 2024 #1 and #9 picks, and 2025 2nd.

Select QB Caleb Williams with #1
Select LT Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu/Taliese Fuaga at #9.
Select G/C with the Jags #17
Select DL/NT with Jags #48
Select skill positions/OL depth with remaining picks [NO TEs or RBs]

Sign top G/C in FA.
Sign 1-2 FA for the DC
Sign FA depth

Oh, I'm not done yet...

Fire Pederson. Hire Bobby Slowik as HC. Hire Wink, assuming Evero (offer him all but HC money) is a no go.

And there you go: Modern NFL offense, young Head Coach to mold your new franchise QB, and a great OLine to get the run/pass game rolling. Let the wins roll in...

Crackhead alert.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-15-2024, 07:54 PM)OG... Wrote: FREE AGENTS:
Josh Allen: sign to a premier deal - he earned it

Agnew: cap space not worth it - Washington is new return guy + a UDFA or late round guy or 2 in camp

Smoot: gone
Chaisson: gone

Ridley: tag - or offer a 3 year deal at 12 mil per year with incentives up to 16 per year - 2 year team out clause

Herndon: time to move on- need guys that can cover and need a real slot defender

Shatley: get this guy as far away from the faciility as possible immediately - has been horrible for 2 years now

McManus: I'd offer a one year deal but add an UDFA or two to compete

Cleveland: Hard to say - he played hurt on a short sample size - inclined to try to keep him cheap and draft a mid rounder to develop behind him - (cheap for a decent guard may be $9mil guaranteed per year though and his market may demand more)

Johnson: D'Ernest Johnson is a good back - I'd offer 2.5 or 3 mil per year for 2 years w/ some incentives

Blackson: camp depth if you want a vet minimum deal - showed good hustle early in the year but waned late

Offensive Line: Sign the best FA Center available and if you can't -  plan on going after whichever of the top 2 centers in the draft you can land by maneuvering your selections

STOP TARGETING PLAYERS SPECIALIZED FOR ZBS AND GET GUYS STRONG ENOUGH TO BLOCK POWER AND ZONE RUN SCHEMES

Sign Cleveland or a quality FA guard for LG and add a guard in the 3rd or 4th round to develop/compete at both guard spots

I'd keep Scherff one more year and have the above mentioned mid rounder and Hodges getting a good amount of camp reps to be ready to step in

LT is an absolute crapshoot. Could draft a tackle early and figure out who plays which side - with Little as the swing and Robinson out.
Could keep Cam and use that pick on one of 4 other needs that may have a viable player available at our spot

Defensive Line:
Edge depth/ rotation needed - Someone to keep Allen and Walker fresh plus play Walker's spot when he kicks inside on 15% of pass sets

Need a 5-tech/3-tech interior pass rusher - may need to pay up in free agency - can't keep giving QBs clean pockets to step up into away from the edge pressure

Linebackers:
No change - we have 4 ILB on the roster - 23 is great and 33 is a solid starter that may flourish with new coaching -  two backups present in Miller/Muma - OLB outlined elsewhere in post

Defensive Back:
Depends on new DC and coverage schemes 

If they want man coverage more they need to draft a new CB to play Tyson's spot. 
Trade Tyson Campbell to a zone heavy team for a pick if so. 
Otherwise 31 and 32 play outside and you draft or sign a stud nickel either way. 
FS - Cisco
SS - Jenkins out - make it a real competition with Johnson, Hallett, and a 4th/5th round pick

RB:
ETN
Bigsby
D. Johnson
no change - add UDFAs in camp that can compete and offer ST and return upside

Wide Receiver:
We're good here. 
If they don't tag or sign Ridley - look for an X receiver in the draft 

Tight End:
Good here. 
Strange should develop into something more useful.
Add a late pick to develop. Farrell is fine at #3

Kicker:
Mcmanus: One year deal only IMO - and give him competition on the cheap - best camp/preseason wins the job

QB:
no change
Lawrence/Beathard

Lawrence gets his deal after the 2024 season

Draft:
Shouldn't be too terribly tough - team has lots of needs - so there should be a highly rated prospect at a position of need available at each selection - or near enough to maneuver for

Once free agency has been completed - the team can build their strategy and build contingencies to identify how players at these positions of need will fall near their selections
I'd be fine with using capital for maneuvering up in this draft to get the better prospects at positions of need 

FREE AGENCY:
Center
Guard (even if it is E.Cleveland)
Other Jags FA players already outlined
Depth edge and/or Interior Pass Rusher will need to be considered here as early draft capital likely tied up at other spots

My plan in blue. 

(01-15-2024, 09:26 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I already fixed the team (see The Big Picture Thread). To summarize:

Release Cam Robinson, Scherff, Jenkins and Fatukasi-  Save slightly over $50 million in cap space.

Sign Josh Allen, Bryce Huff (pass rusher), Lloyd Cushenberry (center) and Kevin Dotson.

Let Calvin Ridley walk and replace him with a 2nd round pick.

Draft OL in round 1 (Fuaga/Fautanu), receiver in round 2 (Franklin, Leggett, Walker, Worthy or Mitchell) and nose tackle with compensatory pick at the end of Rd. 3 (Jackson)

Remaining draft picks provide depth in secondary, offensive line and pass rush.

New offensive line:  Harrison/Dotson/Cushenberry/Fuaga/Little

Hire defensive coordinator with best scheme to improve the pass rush and run defense. Huff and McKinley Jackson can be difference-makers if used correctly.

New offensive line will transform the team from being "soft" to one which takes pride in bullying opposing defenses. Running game is revitalized and Lawrence will be able to lead the team to another AFC South title after an off-season when many had lost faith in him.
Would love to add Dotson but not sure I would put him on the left side.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/12/19...-extension

Honestly at this point the NFL is a crapshoot, whichever team has the most players that care (historically winning franchise or a city that hasn’t smelled the playoffs in awhile) and who can overcome injuries. We were that in 2007,2017,2022.

The Lions next year will be a let down, franchises that haven’t done anything in awhile and all of a sudden have success, ultimately fail the next season. I wonder how long it is till the next Dynasty emerges. I don’t think the Chiefs will get 3 for awhile.

(01-15-2024, 11:43 PM)cland Wrote: Oh this isn't going to go over well...but in the spirit of the thread title here's what I would do. 

Trade Trevor Lawrence to the Bears for their 2024 #1 and #9 picks, and 2025 2nd.

Sign top G/C in FA.
Sign 1-2 FA for the DC
Sign FA depth

Oh, I'm not done yet...

Fire Pederson. Hire Bobby Slowik as HC. Hire Wink, assuming Evero (offer him all but HC money) is a no go.

And there you go: Modern NFL offense, young Head Coach to mold your new franchise QB, and a great OLine to get the run/pass game rolling. Let the wins roll in...

Very interesting. Not as crazy as some may think  You get a quarterback with amazing talent on a rookie contract. Won't have to worry about breaking the bank for Trevor after next season and will be able to afford Josh Allen without any problem. Ideally you could get either Alt or Fashanu with pick 9 and then Fuaga at 17. Harrison could stay at right tackle with the guards being Fuaga and Kevin Dotson, the top free agent guard. There is no longer a need for Cam Robinson  so you save a lot more money and add free agent center Lloyd Cushenberry. This line has the potential to be one of the best in the league once they jell as a unit. 

I'd deviate slightly in the draft by taking a receiver in round 2 to replace Ridley. The WR group is the deepest in this draft and an adequate replacement for Ridley will not be hard to find at that spot. Plus, you save even more cap space by not having to pay Ridley in the neighborhood of $15-20 million per year. Not worth the risk in my opinion for someone who often wasn't on the same page as Trevor and has a history of  "emotional/behavioral" concerns.

I'd then take the nose tackle in round 3 (Compensatory pick). Finally, I'm signing free agent pass rusher Bryce Huff from the Jets. He is similar in many ways to Yannick Ngokwoe in that he is not good at stopping the run. He will be utilized as a DPR with Walker moving to the inside on these obvious passing downs. His cost won't be outrageous, due to his inability to be used on running downs. 

As far as the coaching change, Slowik will definitely be a hot commodity given the success he had with Stroud. I do like Pederson, but his stock did drop this season due to poor decision making on too many occasions. Surprised you didn't get rid of Baalke. He'd definitely be gone for me. 

Your scenario is very risky and while I'm not ready to give up on Trevor yet, I do see the positives of such a move and wouldn't hate it in the .0001 % chance it actually happened!

Sack everyone and spend your draft picks on someone coming off there 2nd grade 3 acl reconstruction

(01-16-2024, 01:02 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 11:43 PM)cland Wrote: Oh this isn't going to go over well...but in the spirit of the thread title here's what I would do. 

Sign top G/C in FA.
Sign 1-2 FA for the DC
Sign FA depth

Oh, I'm not done yet...

Very interesting. Not as crazy as some may think  You get a quarterback with amazing talent on a rookie contract. Won't have to worry about breaking the bank for Trevor after next season and will be able to afford Josh Allen without any problem. Ideally you could get either Alt or Fashanu with pick 9 and then Fuaga at 17. Harrison could stay at right tackle with the guards being Fuaga and Kevin Dotson, the top free agent guard. There is no longer a need for Cam Robinson  so you save a lot more money and add free agent center Lloyd Cushenberry. This line has the potential to be one of the best in the league once they jell as a unit. 

I'd deviate slightly in the draft by taking a receiver in round 2 to replace Ridley. The WR group is the deepest in this draft and an adequate replacement for Ridley will not be hard to find at that spot. Plus, you save even more cap space by not having to pay Ridley in the neighborhood of $15-20 million per year. Not worth the risk in my opinion for someone who often wasn't on the same page as Trevor and has a history of  "emotional/behavioral" concerns.

I'd then take the nose tackle in round 3 (Compensatory pick). Finally, I'm signing free agent pass rusher Bryce Huff from the Jets. He is similar in many ways to Yannick Ngokwoe in that he is not good at stopping the run. He will be utilized as a DPR with Walker moving to the inside on these obvious passing downs. His cost won't be outrageous, due to his inability to be used on running downs. 

As far as the coaching change, Slowik will definitely be a hot commodity given the success he had with Stroud. I do like Pederson, but his stock did drop this season due to poor decision making on too many occasions. Surprised you didn't get rid of Baalke. He'd definitely be gone for me. 

Your scenario is very risky and while I'm not ready to give up on Trevor yet, I do see the positives of such a move and wouldn't hate it in the .0001 % chance it actually happened!

There's nothing interesting about it, it's brain dead and stupid..

Why would the Bears give up two top 10 picks, one being #1 overall (and another 2nd round pick on top of the two top 1sts) if Lawrence isn't any good (like some claim around here)? They would then have to sign him to a new contract as well. Why wouldn't they just take the "amazing talent on a rookie contract" and build the team around him with those other high picks?

Hehe, according to the thread title I am the GM, so Baalke is already gone.

(01-16-2024, 01:25 AM)Eric1 Wrote: There's nothing interesting about it, it's brain dead and stupid..

Why would the Bears give up two top 10 picks, one being #1 overall (and another 2nd round pick on top of the two top 1sts) if Lawrence isn't any good (like some claim around here)? They would then have to sign him to a new contract as well. Why wouldn't they just take the "amazing talent on a rookie contract" and build the team around him with those other high picks?

Got it, so you don't think Lawrence is worth two top ten picks.

(01-16-2024, 01:44 AM)cland Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 01:25 AM)Eric1 Wrote: There's nothing interesting about it, it's brain dead and stupid..

Got it, so you don't think Lawrence is worth two top ten picks.

Nope he's not worth two top ten picks. Lawrence is worth 8 top 10 picks.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 02:12 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

To keep it simple, jags still need the nickle back we should have drafted last season. We still need the center and guards we could have drafted last season. We need some big uglys in the middle of the d-line. We can get this through draft and or free agency. We should keep Allen of coarse, and I would try to keep Ridley. Maybe draft a speed wr sometime in the draft. Also keep all of our cbs. Restructure contracts. That one dude from the jets who was supposed to be a run stopper should be gone. Jenkins gone unless he can be a back up at a cheaper price.

Trade Trev for a 1st/2nd - Draft any promising QB in the 1st. Sign Jimmy G until rookie is ready. Draft DL/OL/LB/CB until my team is SF. Find the next Brock Purdy after realizing my young promising QB sucks... Then proceed to lock up the 1 seed year after year. TLDR: The SF 49er method.

/s I have no idea, in 1 offseason I would trim the cap fat and try my best to pick the best OL/IDL, Tag Rid and wink/nod not to sign it until post draft. All you can do.

(01-15-2024, 10:23 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m keeping Cam Robinson. With the offensive line we have, we’re no better without him. Lock up Cleveland. Put Harrison in the film room and fully expect him to be a premier tackle in this league for years to come. Cut Scherff, replace with Hodges. Sign a FA Center by restructuring Robinson’s contract which would benefit both parties or keep Fortner. Keep Little and Shatley as swings.

Add a FB for certain games and schemes, someone I can keep on the PS.

Find a way to keep Agnew for 1 more season. He has the ability to flip the field at crucial points in the game. He offers slot and backup WR ability with open field speed that can’t be ignored. Dude is on another planet with his speed. His value is huge to this team.

I’d keep McManus. Cooke is one of the better punters in the NFL so he stays.

Ridley: I’d keep him if I can give up a 3rd, but I’d be iffy on that 2nd rounder PLUS a contract. I’d probably keep him if I’m looking at the big picture. Zay was injured, Kirk was injured, Ag was injured so Ridley was all we had at times. After thinking about it, I’d find a way to keep Ridley. Keeping Kirk. Keeping Zay.

Etienne is a no-brainer. He scored 11 TDs.

Oh..... Oh no.....
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 09:20 AM by snarkyguy_he_him_his.)

(01-16-2024, 01:47 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 01:44 AM)cland Wrote: Got it, so you don't think Lawrence is worth two top ten picks.

Nope he's not worth two top ten picks. Lawrence is worth 8 top 10 picks.

That's just hyperbole that makes you look like you're his wife.

To the NFL he's not even a top 10 QB.

we got two first rounders for Ramsay because he was a top THREE CB.