Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke press conference set for 1/25

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d78sddn2lg5o9nx069fm...y.gif&ct=g]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Guys, it's just coach speak. He's not trying to ruin Fortners confidence.

I'd fire him after that abomination of a press conference.

If you didn't think there was tension between Baalke and Doug before, it's pretty clear now.

That dude sucks.

I understand there is only so much he can share in regards to staff dynamics and off-season strategy, but I also saw a guy who is intuitively defensive and engages in deflection to cover his six.

(01-25-2024, 01:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I understand there is only so much he can share in regards to staff dynamics and off-season strategy, but I also saw a guy who is intuitively defensive and engages in deflection to cover his six.
Bingo.

"We need to get bigger and stronger in trenches"

Also Trent

"It was a systematic issue"

He just flat out sucks.

Hopefully he is just blowing smoke for the draft

I never expected him to bash Fortner, didn't watch the conference yet, but what matter to me is this:

Quote:- said several times they need to get bigger, tougher, stronger

Trent said some things that indicated he takes ownership.
Including "we need to manage the team better"

He didn't drive it home enough for many while he did mention coaching and development in a number of responses.
I get that.
People are rubbed wrong by it.
That's fine.
That's Baalke's style and personality, but he also said lots of things about adding competition to push starters and touched on areas of improvement that we all talk about needing as well.

I'm fine with most of his comments and not too concerned about the lack of culpability talk. He knows. he just loathes admitting it over and over again in a presser. Not a naturally humble guy.

He also quashed the rumors flying around flatly as I 100% expected and predicted.
Spoke strongly about the unity and respect between he and Doug and reiterated it.
Called the rumor of friction between them a "false narrative."

Now he just has to follow it up with adding that competition he talked about in March and April.

People are going to spin the crap out of anything he says, so I don't worry much about the overreactions.

(01-25-2024, 01:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Guys, it's just coach speak.  He's not trying to ruin Fortners confidence.

Coach speak doesn't apply to GMs the same way. He's not a coach. 

I'd wager the "competition" he harped on includes an acquisition that will end up being an obvious upgrade at Center. 
He's also still unlikely to get up there and bash a guy he drafted who is still coming to camp this year to compete. 
He didn't bash anyone. 

He talked about getting bigger and stronger in the trenches so many times - and Fortner knows damn well that means him.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 01:53 PM by MojoKing.)

Welp, gonna skip watching this. Sounds like he said a whole lot of nothing

But seriously does Luke have dirt on Baalke?

How is getting pushed 5 yards in the backfield on a qbsneak a “systematic” issue, hahahahaha

(01-25-2024, 01:50 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Welp, gonna skip watching this. Sounds like he said a whole lot of nothing

I know better. I am bias against him and he disappoints me. Doubt he can do the work needed this offseason. I wish he went off to the NFL offices but that is fantasy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-25-2024, 12:57 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 12:55 PM)nhiverson Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...2987540816

That is such a hilarious statement.
Systematic. So the system is the problem?
The system employed by the OL coach that's still here? Under the OC that's still here who is an extension of our HC?

Cool cool...

The run blocking scheme was a pipe dream of ZBS bells and whistles that our players simply couldn't execute and the small component of power gap plays was also impossible due to the lack of size and strength.

If Doug asked him for those super athletic/finesse traits in his OL and he gave him what he wanted - they have to look at the failure as a systematic issue.

That's why he harped on getting bigger and stronger in the trenches. He ha likely already had this talk with Doug.
"We tried it with your ballerina types up front - it didn't work - let's get back to adding some bullies up front" 

He's also referring to the groups inability to ever gain enough cohesion due to the constant musical chairs at LG and LT.

(01-25-2024, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Trent said some things that indicated he takes ownership.

He didn't drive it home enough for many while he did mention coaching and development in a number of responses.
I get that.
That's fine.
That's Baalke's style and personality, but he also said lots of things about adding competition to push starters and touched on areas of improvement that we all talk about needing as well.

I'm fine with most of his comments and not too concerned about the lack of culpability talk. He knows. he just loathes admitting it over and over again in a presser. Not a naturally humble guy.

He also quashed the rumors flying around flatly as I 100% expected and predicted.
Spoke strongly about the unity and respect between he and Doug and reiterated it.

Now he just has to follow it up with adding that competition he talked about in March and April.

People are going to spin the crap out of anything he says, so I don't worry much about the overreactions.
Well what else is he supposed to say? I hate the guy? Why do you think it took Baalke so long to do a press conference and why do you think him and Doug did it seperately?

He also said he sat in on the DC interviews which is pretty weird to me. Not sure other GMs do this.

He said that the rookies weren't being coached up enough and seemed to continually blame the coaching.  

I just don't get it. He is reactionary as a GM rather that being someone who can plan ahead. He should have paid Josh Allen last summer but he didn't. Now Allen will likely get the tag, hold out for a while and miss most of camp.

(01-25-2024, 01:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Guys, it's just coach speak.  He's not trying to ruin Fortners confidence.

!. He's not a coach.
2. Do you really think that GM is going to run up there and say, "Yeah, we know Fortner just hasn't developed like we want so we're going to move on from a guy that I picked and we have on a rookie deal for 2 more years."?

You have some really odd takes that highlight your lack of understanding, but this one ranks right near the top.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-25-2024, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Trent said some things that indicated he takes ownership.

I get that.
That's fine.

Well what else is he supposed to say? I hate the guy? Why do you think it took Baalke so long to do a press conference and why do you think him and Doug did it seperately?

He also said he sat in on the DC interviews which is pretty weird to me. Not sure other GMs do this.

He said that the rookies weren't being coached up enough and seemed to continually blame the coaching.  

I just don't get it. He is reactionary as a GM rather that being someone who can plan ahead. He should have paid Josh Allen last summer but he didn't. Now Allen will likely get the tag, hold out for a while and miss most of camp.

He is unlikable 

But doing the presser solo is standard protocol here and at other teams

Sitting on interviews is as well. Normal.  He said that Doug decides the hires but he is allowed to be part of the discussion.

I thought it was fine. People are blowing the “systematic” quote out of proportion. He said it was players, scheme, execution, etc all combined. Which is fair.

He said “bigger/stronger in the trenches” over and over. It’s clear he sees we need more there.

Anyone expecting him to go up there and bash individual players and coaches were delusional. The talks that needed to be had were had. Now we wait and see what he does
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

This post has some speculation involved - but I think it is probably accurate:

https://twitter.com/RyanGreen1010XL/stat...10754?s=20

Why move Anton to LT?

That mean we’re offish giving up on Little? And is Cam out?

Great… now we need FOUR new OL - LG C RG RT allll need replacements