Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke press conference set for 1/25

(01-25-2024, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The NFL has 100 offensive linemen that weigh between 310-319 pounds
The NFL has 105 NFL offensive linemen that weigh 320 or more

The NFL has 83 linemen that weigh between 300-310 pounds

I don't want to be aiming to add to that final group listed. I want prototypical size and strength and I want the super athletic traits to take a back seat.

For centers, the only position Fortner plays, he's the median size. Of those 83 players between 300-310, 20 of them are starting centers. The position is clearly about more than weight, but size isn't Fortner's issue; it's strength.

Great

Let's find one strong enough to facilitate more 3rd and one conversions instead of being the reason half of them fail. 

Again - I'd like to see this braintrust scrap all the platitudes about athleticism and bring in the road graders. That is what I'm asking for - and I think they've been focused in the opposite direction. 

Baalke harped on bigger/stronger/more physical at least 4 times today. 

I'd like to hear it from Doug next.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2024, 04:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: For centers, the only position Fortner plays, he's the median size. Of those 83 players between 300-310, 20 of them are starting centers. The position is clearly about more than weight, but size isn't Fortner's issue; it's strength.

Great

Let's find one strong enough to facilitate more 3rd and one conversions instead of being the reason half of them fail. 

Again - I'd like to see this braintrust scrap all the platitudes about athleticism and bring in the road graders. That is what I'm asking for - and I think they've been focused in the opposite direction. 

Baalke harped on bigger/stronger/more physical at least 4 times today. 

I'd like to hear it from Doug next.

Sure, I'm fine with that too. I just don't see those two they've brought in as saying they didn't want and expect that. One is pretty good so far, the other looks like a miss. I would like another tackle, a vet guard, a drafted guard, a vet center and a decision on keeping or moving on from Fortner before we get to camp. If we move on from Fortner then grab a middle rounds center in the draft as well.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-25-2024, 03:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 03:32 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I watched the first half of his press conference and didn't hear anything notable.  You guys that want him fired because he did or did not say something are being ridiculous.

I don't think the press conference caused anyone to feel that way.  You're seeing the reaction of people that wanted him fired 2 years ago and are looking for anything to add fuel to that fire.

Press conferences are generally an art form in using a bunch of words to say as little as possible.  Expectations to the contrary and definitive conclusions drawn from anything said are probably unwise.  Take it at face value and wait to see the results of free agency, the draft and the early part of next season, then let's revisit the power structure if need be.
I’ve just never seen him as a good GM.

I want my GM to be a smart, fluid and forward thinker. 

Baalke has always given me snake vibes. 

He’s certainly had hits (Anton, Antonio) but he’s so backwards it hurts. Drafting 3 off ball linebackers in 2 years while also signing Foye? Failing to add valuable pass rushers (which is his apparent strong suit?).

He’s good in FA but has a very poor draft record. 

The press conference where he tries to make it seem like he’s not listening or reading the media but at the same time bringing up every single point the media was saying about him? Weasel.

It’s whatever at this point. The Jags are stuck with him for this upcoming season. I hope he stays true to his word about upgrading the trenches.

(01-25-2024, 03:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 02:50 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Why move Anton to LT?

That mean we’re offish giving up on Little? And is Cam out?

Great… now we need FOUR new OL - LG C RG RT allll need replacements

Harrison is a LT.  We likely draft a RT at 17.  That's been my thought all along with how deep this draft is at RT

We need so much more help tho 

If we go RT in RD1 - 
we still need 2 OGs and a Center

Like my point is we are essentially going to have FIVE new starters on the OL which is crazy to think about

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 07:04 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2024, 03:44 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 02:57 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: My take-aways from this press conference:

1. Looks like Josh Allen will be tagged. I don't like that and hope it doesn't happen. The guy earned a great contract and his teammates need to see that they will also be rewarded for this in the future.

2. He clearly is not thrilled with the development of Trevor Lawrence. If the best thing you can say is " he is learning " that speaks volumes.

3. His basic failure to not take responsibility for things like the Fortner draft pick is not surprising based on his track record on such things. It sure would have been nice to hear him say something like, " In hindsight, I could have done a better job with the draft last season." What's so terrible about taking some accountability? When the closest thing he says to that is, We need to get bigger and stronger," it does not inspire confidence in our fans that things will get better.

4. Following the press conference, the vast majority of local media and fans felt the number one takeaway was that Baalke was primarily blaming the coaching staff for the coolapse last season. Why would Doug Pederson not take this the same way and how will this effect their relationship moving forward? Pederson and his staff did not have a great year and some of this was due to their own mistakes ( play calling, poor schemes, not always playing the best players at a position, etc.). Despite these facts, Baalke's public criticism of the DEVELOPMENT of some players points the finger directly at Pederson and his coaching staff. Maybe the two can co-exist this season, but my guess is that Pederson's feelings about the G.M. can't be a good thing when they have to decide together on who to let go in the off-season, which free agents to sign and whom to priotize in the draft. Its' obviously very difficult to win consistently in the NFL under the best of circumstances, but when your GM and coach don't see eye to eye or have mutual respect it becomes almost impossible.

1. Tagging someone is procedural at this stage. They will have months to reach an agreement. If it's not done near when the other tagged players have been signed then it's time to get worried 
2. I agree, but I'm of course not as positive as most here. I seem to be closer to the GM than to fans here. 
3. Agree
4. There has been gossip about a power struggle and this, IMO, confirms it. How bad it is is difficult to say but also IMO it's normal that people will try to deflect blame after a collapse like ours.

(01-25-2024, 03:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Harrison is a LT.  We likely draft a RT at 17.  That's been my thought all along with how deep this draft is at RT

Absolutely, 
and I have thought the whole season that they're moving Little around because they're not as high on him as most people thought. He was the odd guy out. Even more clear: i think they drafted Harrison knowing well that Cam had just one more year.

Yeah, I think we draft a RT in the first.  I'd give it a 50% chance vs all other positions.  All of Fuaga, Latham, and Mims could be very good at RG this year as a rookie.  I think the plan will be to play them at RG this year with Little at RT and then move them to RT next year.  If Little struggles of corse then they will just move the rookie to RT this year.  

If we don't get one of these RTs this year, next year we will be in a bad spot at tackle with Little being a FA.  This is one of the best RT classes i remember, we might want to take advantage of it and it can help us this year and we will have our bookend tackles of the future.

(01-25-2024, 06:45 PM)MojoKing Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 03:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Harrison is a LT.  We likely draft a RT at 17.  That's been my thought all along with how deep this draft is at RT

If we go RT in RD1 - 

Like my point is we are essentially going to have FIVE new starters on the OL which is crazy to think about
The rookie will start at RG imo. Any of those 3 would make us stronger and bigger in the trenches. Of course that wouldn't be the only move.

If we go RT in RD1 - 

We also need an interior defensive lineman and possibly a cornerback. I'm not ready to give up on Walker Little yet. They could still draft one of the offensive linemen capable of playing tackle or guard. Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu and Barton can all play both. Fuaga is the one I'd prefer due to his run blocking, but all are solid players. Barton is the least value of the four and I'd try to trade back if he was the only one left since 17 is too high for him. Little would compete with them at right tackle and hopefully earn the job so the rookie could play inside.

(01-25-2024, 07:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 06:45 PM)MojoKing Wrote: We need so much more help tho 

If we go RT in RD1 - 

We also need an interior defensive lineman and possibly a cornerback. I'm not ready to give up on Walker Little yet. They could still draft one of the offensive linemen capable of playing tackle or guard. Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu and Barton can all play both. Fuaga is the one I'd prefer due to his run blocking, but all are solid players. Barton is the least value of the four and I'd try to trade back if he was the only one left since 17 is too high for him. Little would compete with them at right tackle and hopefully earn the job so the rookie could play inside.

Agree for the most part.  I think they plan to play Little at RT.  If he has a full offseason at RT I think he can be decent or good there and then the rookie takes over at RT next year.  That will help us next year to not put us in a bad spot at the tackle position as well where Harrison will be the only tackle we have under contract.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 10:32 PM by Jag149. Edited 2 times in total.)

Couple things.
First-
1995 Michael Huyghue
2003 James Harris
2009 Gene Smith
2013 David Caldwell
2021 Trent Baalke

In 1995 Huyghue was the GM, but really the money/contract guy, TC had final say on players. I believe the recent discussions have been centered around Doug wanting a greater amount of control here. This did work in the 90's. I think Trent is an upgrade over the next 3.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

“We need to get bigger stronger and more physical upfront”

Ok moron. Aren’t you the one that signed or drafted these players? He hasn’t been able to do it since he’s been here and now we are supposed to expect it to happen?

(01-25-2024, 10:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: “We need to get bigger stronger and more physical upfront”

Ok moron. Aren’t you the one that signed or drafted these players? He hasn’t been able to do it since he’s been here and now we are supposed to expect it to happen?

Jags need to build a wall in front of Lawrence. If I had to pick between needs, I would go hard on o-line especially center and guards, make the jags line look like Philly. Then I would address cb’s and middle d-line

(01-25-2024, 10:53 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 10:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: “We need to get bigger stronger and more physical upfront”

Jags need to build a wall in front of Lawrence. If I had to pick between needs, I would go hard on o-line especially center and guards, make the jags line look like Philly. Then I would address cb’s and middle d-line

Draft Sweat at NT and then fill the rest of the draft with O-Line and I'm good.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024, 06:17 AM by nhiverson. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1750724497617940850

Check out this guys tweets
Jags twitter seems to think hes Baalke's burner account. Honestly it could be but who knows hah.
No Fun

(01-25-2024, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d78sddn2lg5o9nx069fm...y.gif&ct=g]

If we go RT in RD1 - 

Considering how bad everyone says our line is, why is that crazy?

Apparently baalke had never even engaged with Allen on a contract then went and ran his mouth in the press conference. What a clown

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...r-contract

(01-26-2024, 09:45 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Apparently baalke had never even engaged with Allen on a contract then went and ran his mouth in the press conference. What a clown

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...r-contract

Damn, are we really going to waste our time any longer with this guy?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Earth to Shad Khan. Earth to Shad Khan. Pick up the GM discussion line, please.

Yeah if they fumble Josh Allen off the team like that's close or is the last straw for me. Shad is too hands off let Tony take over I don't get it. Baalke is awful.
No Fun

Players love being tagged, Baalke has got this. We didn't build the lines allowing us to get the chance to draft the QB. Brilliantly played. I can't wait to see more brilliance.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Cant read the entire topic but are they giving up on Little? after making the guy switch positions like every 3 months. Maybe I am wrong but I trust Little more at LT than Harrison. And there is no way I play Little at RT.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23