Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Lamar the new Peyton?

For years Peyton killed it in the regular season, only to lay eggs in the tournament.

Even when Peyton did get rings, the games were often decided by other factors than his performance.

I get that Lamar can't do everything, but his stats are definitely unbecoming of a league MVP when the games matter.  Romo was slurping away all game, noting that he's maturing, and stepping around in the pocket instead of running after the first read, but dude still hovered around 50% completions and when it mattered most made some really questionable throws.

Interested what others think. At this point we don't just excuse it away to inexperience as we did a few years ago, right?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was surprised at how much time he had in yesterday's game and how little he decided to use his God given speed to pick-up yardage in chunks and gain new sets of downs to work with. That pass to Likely into triple coverage was a major head scratcher. It resulted in an interception inside the endzone. Can't have that happen in these games.

With it all on the line though? That would have been the game to revert back to being the Lamar Jackson that everybody knew earlier on in his career and was running away with MVP votes. I saw a few folks also complaining about Todd Monken's play calling choices. Pretty pathetic excuse in my opinion.

They turned the football over three times. Twice inside the redzone. The right call was made when Zay Flowers had an opportunity to score a TD. It's not the play caller's fault that Sneed made a play on the football with a rookie trying to do too much in that situation and ultimately coughing it up for the touchback. That was the most pivotal point in the game for me.

Jackson may or may not ever win a Superbowl. Some guys just don't have the clutch gene in their DNA. While others do. Nobody is going to give a [BLEEP] about MVP's, regular season stats and awards when you're not winning the most important games and titles that count the most.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I wonder where all the "we need to get rid of the touchback rule" people are today? Seems like rules only need to be eliminated when they hurt the league's precious golden boy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-29-2024, 03:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I wonder where all the "we need to get rid of the touchback rule" people are today? Seems like rules only need to be eliminated when they hurt the league's precious golden boy.

The ball wasn't fumbled out of bounds though. It was recovered by the Chiefs.

As to the fumbled out of bounds in the end zone, that should definitely be changed. At worst the team on defense should get the ball but at the 2 yard line, not the 20. At best it should be like a lost of a down and ball at the 10 yard line. So if fumbled and it would have been a 1st & Goal at the one, it becomes 2nd & Goal from the 10.

(01-29-2024, 04:55 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 03:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I wonder where all the "we need to get rid of the touchback rule" people are today? Seems like rules only need to be eliminated when they hurt the league's precious golden boy.

As to the fumbled out of bounds in the end zone, that should definitely be changed. At worst the team on defense should get the ball but at the 2 yard line, not the 20. At best it should be like a lost of a down and ball at the 10 yard line. So if fumbled and it would have been a 1st & Goal at the one, it becomes 2nd & Goal from the 10.

What is the compelling reason to change that rule?  I don't see one.

The Zay FLowers fumble this week was exactly the Hardman fumble last week. The rule is fine as is, lose the ball out of the endzone and it's a touchback for the defense, same as if it were a punt into the endzone.

(01-29-2024, 05:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 04:55 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The ball wasn't fumbled out of bounds though. It was recovered by the Chiefs.

What is the compelling reason to change that rule?  I don't see one.

It penalizes the offense and we can't have that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

What? No. Just, no. If an offensive player is that careless crossing the goal line with a TD within reach and they fumble it? That's on them. What Sneed did was a high effort play. You shouldn't penalize the defense for doing their job. 

Hell, it's such a rare occurrence. I could almost say it should go the other way around and one step further. Either, the defense gets the football back at the 25 yard line instead of the 20 yard line like a normal touchback rule, or, they should be awarded 2 points for the offense's mistake. Like a reverse safety scoring system. 

The defense has been severely neutered throughout the years in the NFL. A lot of offenses now practically make a killing over the middle and gash defenses like a heavyweight fighter competing in a middleweight division. There was a time where that was simply a high risk, low reward area of the football field because sharks were allowed to act like blood was in the water back then or hunters were allowed to hunt. 

I wish today's modern fans and the NFL had the offensive scoring and offensive favoritism shoved up their [BLEEP]. I am tired of it.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Lamar Jackson can't hold Peyton's jock. He sucks at reading defenses and his downfield accuracy is suspect. His stats are some of the worst for an MVP in the modern era. He chokes in big moments.

If Houston was a better football team, with the first half he played last week they'd have been eliminated then. All the talk was about how Monken's offense was going to let Lamar light the league on fire as a passer and how great he was going to be with better weapons.

Now they should've run the ball more and the playmakers let him down? Don't think they were the ones running backwards 15 yards in the face of pressure and throwing into triple coverage.

The Lamar narrative is garbage.

Mahomes just makes everyone else look bad in the postseason.

He makes the league fun and simultaneously boring by how good he is

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 11:00 AM by nhiverson. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-29-2024, 05:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 04:55 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The ball wasn't fumbled out of bounds though. It was recovered by the Chiefs.

The Zay FLowers fumble this week was exactly the Hardman fumble last week. The rule is fine as is, lose the ball out of the endzone and it's a touchback for the defense, same as if it were a punt into the endzone.
 No it wasn't one went out of bounds in the endzone. If you fumble the ball into the endzone and it sits in the field of play it's live until it is recovered.
The rule is fine. Protect the dang ball. Also Flowers fumble was just a great punch out by Snead.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 11:37 AM by Mikey.)

(01-30-2024, 08:05 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Mahomes just makes everyone else look bad in the postseason.

So Stroud was the reason Lamar only threw for a buck fiddy the week prior?

It's not Mahomes making Lamar wilt. He's done it against plenty of other foes.

(01-30-2024, 11:00 AM)nhiverson Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 05:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The Zay FLowers fumble this week was exactly the Hardman fumble last week. The rule is fine as is, lose the ball out of the endzone and it's a touchback for the defense, same as if it were a punt into the endzone.
 No it wasn't one went out of bounds in the endzone. If you fumble the ball into the endzone and it sits in the field of play it's live until it is recovered.
The rule is fine. Protect the dang ball. Also Flowers fumble was just a great punch out by Snead.

But LOL at Zay for hurting himself while throwing his own tantrum on the sideline after the play.

(Will admit, I felt bad for him, it reminded me very much of Byner's fumble in '87. That one broke my heart as much as it broke his own)

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 05:25 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

It’s going to be tough to get through Mahomes. On any given season, Everyone might have to hope Joe burrow beats mahomes in a play off game and then you catch burrow in the afc championship and beat them to finally get into the Super Bowl. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024, 07:05 AM by rpr52121. Edited 4 times in total.)

My whole point about changing the rule was only if it goes out of bounds though the end zone. Because If the ball is fumbled out of bounds anywhere else on the field, the possession does not change. So why have such a drastic difference in the end zone? That is my only point.

Heck, if you wanted to make to so ANY fumble out of bounds results in a change of possession, a la say basketball. I'd be fine with that too. Just make them consistent.

Again the Flowers fumble stayed in bounds, so my suggestion would not apply to that situation.

(01-30-2024, 11:35 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 08:05 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Mahomes just makes everyone else look bad in the postseason.

So Stroud was the reason Lamar only threw for a buck fiddy the week prior?

It's not Mahomes making Lamar wilt. He's done it against plenty of other foes.

Lamar didn’t have to do much in that game they were relying on the run. Against KC you can’t do that, you have to have efficient passing attack. The game would’ve been very different had Zay not fumbled and we wouldn’t be chastising Lamar. 

regardless P. Mahomes is just too good, he’s far and away the best QB, best player in the NFL. It’s crazy he hasn’t even reached his ceiling

(01-30-2024, 10:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: My whole point about changing the rule was only if it goes out of bounds though the end zone. Because If the ball is fumbled out of bounds anywhere else on the field, the possession does not change. So why have such a drastic difference in the end zone? That is my only point.

Heck, if you wanted to make to so ANY fumble out of bounds results in a change of possession, a la say basketball. I'd be fine with that too. Just make them consistent.

Again the Flowers fumble stayed in bounds, so my suggestion would not apply to that situation.

The teams defend end zones, not sidelines. If the offense fumbles out of the end zone being defended, they lose (turnover/touchback). If the offense fumbles out of the end zone their team is defending, they also lose (in the form of a safety).

It's going to be tough going forward this was Ravens year if they could and Lamar choked he missed so many damn throws. Burrow and Lawrence being healthy next year and CJ Stroud up and coming maybe Steelers get qb, Herbert has a coach AFC is not going to be easy. They missed their chance.
No Fun

(01-31-2024, 10:41 AM)nhiverson Wrote: It's going to be tough going forward this was Ravens year if they could and Lamar choked he missed so many damn throws. Burrow and Lawrence being healthy next year and CJ Stroud up and coming maybe Steelers get qb, Herbert has a coach AFC is not going to be easy. They missed their chance.

Would also throw Aaron Rodgers into the mix with him coming back. It's going to be tough sledding for a lot of AFC teams later on this year.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024, 02:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Lamar is Mike Vick.

I do understand the Payton analogy based on regular season wins and playoff losses but Lamar would need to start winning playoff games and SBs from this point forward to be considered Payton, ONLY BASED ON WINS AND LOSSES.

Regarding performance, Payton had passing touch to which Lamar only does when someone is wide open, and even then sometimes fails to deliver. I'm going to say that within the next 2 years when Lamar continues to slow down, he'll even get worse since hist run threat is really what propels his passing game.

(01-31-2024, 10:41 AM)nhiverson Wrote: It's going to be tough going forward this was Ravens year if they could and Lamar choked he missed so many damn throws. Burrow and Lawrence being healthy next year and CJ Stroud up and coming maybe Steelers get qb, Herbert has a coach AFC is not going to be easy. They missed their chance.

Funny how the above looks tough enough without mentioning Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rogers and the Jets D, Cleveland getting D. Watson back, Tua still being a threat.....

Why the Ravens didnt seem to care to run against the 28th ranked rushing D we'll never know, but it makes me wonder if someone wanted the Chefs in the SB so they can capitalize on the uptick in female viewership whenever Swift is in the building.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Lamar is James Harden on the Houston Rockets.