Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 combine talk

James Williams looks good out of Miami. Big safety prospect. I can live with 4.6 if I am a scout and looking for a safety that plays zone or can box up and stick a TE or RB in the middle.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2024, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:49 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Good stuff. Another guy to keep an eye on is Andru Philips out of Kentucky. I was really impressed him vs Clemson in Gator Bowl

Official 40 times:

Nate Wiggins: 4.28
Quinyon Mitchell: 4.33
Decamerion Richardson: 4.34
Nehemiah Pritchett: 4.36
Daequan Hardy: 4.38
Max Melton: 4.39
D.J. James: 4.42
Terrion Arnold: 4.50

I like Max Melton. Played at Rutgers with Christian Braswell, his counterpart that we drafted last year in RD6. Melton comes from a good athletic family. That 4.39 at 6'0, 190 pounds doesn't surprise me one bit. 

He doesn't seem to get beat deep at all from what I have seen. I would take him in RD4 though if he's still on the board and see if he can be developed for a year or two. I am honestly hoping we get a jump up in play from Braswell in year two. Similar to Montaric Brown. 

The other CB's to watch for me are Khyree Jackson out of Oregon & T.J Tampa out of Iowa State.

(03-01-2024, 05:36 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: I really hope bowers doesn't land in our divison.
.unless it's with us

Odds are that he does if he slips past the Chargers. I could see the tacks taking him to pair up with Levis for years to come. Too many mismatch opportunities for teams and with Callahan coming over there to coach them from the Bengals he'll probably see it the way most people see it.

2nd year QB that's scrappy with a big arm that likes to play backyard football with a big athletic mismatch player at TE that can run and catch, block and get open. It's very easily an early opportunity to create a safety blanket for himself as a play caller and 1st year head coach.

(03-01-2024, 05:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1. Mitchell
2. DeJean
3. Kool-Aid ( depending on injury)
4. Arnold
5. Jarian Jones

Jarian is one of the best, if not, the best slot corner in this draft class. His performance today did him big time favors.

What do you think the odds of Mitchell being there at 17 are?   The only 2 corners I would be happy with at 17 are Mitchell and DeJean

(03-01-2024, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I like Max Melton. Played at Rutgers with Christian Braswell, his counterpart that we drafted last year in RD6. Melton comes from a good athletic family. That 4.39 at 6'0, 190 pounds doesn't surprise me one bit. 

He doesn't seem to get beat deep at all from what I have seen. I would take him in RD4 though if he's still on the board and see if he can be developed for a year or two. I am honestly hoping we get a jump up in play from Braswell in year two. Similar to Montaric Brown. 

The other CB's to watch for me are Khyree Jackson out of Oregon & T.J Tampa out of Iowa State.

Odds are that he does if he slips past the Chargers. I could see the tacks taking him to pair up with Levis for years to come. Too many mismatch opportunities for teams and with Callahan coming over there to coach them from the Bengals he'll probably see it the way most people see it.

2nd year QB that's scrappy with a big arm that likes to play backyard football with a big athletic mismatch player at TE that can run and catch, block and get open. It's very easily an early opportunity to create a safety blanket for himself as a play caller and 1st year head coach.

Jarian is one of the best, if not, the best slot corner in this draft class. His performance today did him big time favors.

What do you think the odds of Mitchell being there at 17 are?   The only 2 corners I would be happy with at 17 are Mitchell and DeJean
Mitchell? Pretty slim. Would be surprised if he made it past Denver or New Orleans.

I could see DeJean there but if teams view him as a safety and he tests good at Iowa's Pro Day?

He's probably a clot or Seahawk.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

4 pages in on a combine thread and no comments on what Laiatu Latu just pulled off this week?

(03-01-2024, 08:44 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: 4 pages in on a combine thread and no comments on what Laiatu Latu just pulled off this week?
He's a good athlete for his size and position. Production is there. Didn't do the bench but if his neck injury is cleared medically he'll be a top 15 pick.

Didn't have him on my radar because I don't think he falls to 17 personally.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 06:42 AM by Jag88. Edited 2 times in total.)

With Balkie ignoring needing a cb last draft, I’m not getting too excited yet about the draft this time around. My expectations are the lowest in many jaguar years when it comes to the draft and even free agency. The way last season went was stupid. lol I guess I will be done healing from the shock of missing the play offs soon. I’m not going to guess too much, but I just hope for a good draft this time. Jags need it tremendously.

(03-02-2024, 02:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 08:44 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: 4 pages in on a combine thread and no comments on what Laiatu Latu just pulled off this week?
He's a good athlete for his size and position. Production is there. Didn't do the bench but if his neck injury is cleared medically he'll be a top 15 pick.

Didn't have him on my radar because I don't think he falls to 17 personally.

From an article I read, getting medically cleared by a doctor, and getting medically cleared by the team doctor, are different. Do they give the clearance to someone who could incur a possibly catastrophic reinjury? It's a gamble and one which makes me wonder if this kind of thing is addressed in contract talks.

(03-02-2024, 06:40 AM)Jag88 Wrote: With Balkie ignoring needing a cb last draft, I’m not getting too excited yet about the draft this time around. My expectations are the lowest in many jaguar years when it comes to the draft and even free agency. The way last season went was stupid. lol I guess I will be done healing from the shock of missing the play offs soon. I’m not going to guess too much, but I just hope for a good draft this time. Jags need it tremendously.

He drafted 3 DBs in the last draft, all of whom could play corner or nickle, then brought in 2 more UDFAs. They also signed Herndon and Tevaughn Campbell and had Brown and Junior from the 2022 draft who both played ok last year. Those are all behind the actual starters, and that's hardly ignoring it, so don't let your disappointment cloud the facts.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-01-2024, 08:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do you think the odds of Mitchell being there at 17 are?   The only 2 corners I would be happy with at 17 are Mitchell and DeJean
Mitchell? Pretty slim. Would be surprised if he made it past Denver or New Orleans.

I could see DeJean there but if teams view him as a safety and he tests good at Iowa's Pro Day?

He's probably a clot or Seahawk.

Yeah, I dont think Mitchell makes it to our pick now.  Id say probably something like 30/70 now with a 70% chance of Mitchell not being there, I think he will be the first corner taken.  DeJean and Newton are the 2 Pro Days im looking foward to.  As far as DeJean, he could come in his year and play nickel for us and we could move him outside next year. It will be interesting to see if he can be 100% for his pro day as hes one of the best athletes in this draft.  He could also take over return duties as hes one of the best returners in this draft.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 09:40 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-01-2024, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:49 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Good stuff. Another guy to keep an eye on is Andru Philips out of Kentucky. I was really impressed him vs Clemson in Gator Bowl

Official 40 times:

Nate Wiggins: 4.28
Quinyon Mitchell: 4.33
Decamerion Richardson: 4.34
Nehemiah Pritchett: 4.36
Daequan Hardy: 4.38
Max Melton: 4.39
D.J. James: 4.42
Terrion Arnold: 4.50

I like Max Melton. Played at Rutgers with Christian Braswell, his counterpart that we drafted last year in RD6. Melton comes from a good athletic family. That 4.39 at 6'0, 190 pounds doesn't surprise me one bit. 

(03-01-2024, 05:36 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: I really hope bowers doesn't land in our divison.
.unless it's with us

(03-01-2024, 05:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1. Mitchell
2. DeJean
3. Kool-Aid ( depending on injury)
4. Arnold
5. Jarian Jones

Yeah, this is why i want Jones.  He could fix one of our problems we have had for years and help get the defense off the field on 3rd downs.  I hope he is there when we pick in the 3rd, we might even have to take him in the 2nd. If we dont go corner in the first I think it is very possible.
To Jones' point, he allowed an NFL Passer Rating of 0.0 this past season when targeted in man coverage, allowing 3 completions for 40 yards while recording 3 interceptions on 176 snaps designated as Man Coverage by TruMedia via PFF. No other defensive back with 100+ snaps in man coverage had a better mark.

(2) PFF College on X: "Highest graded Cornerback in man coverage this season: ? Jarrian Jones, Florida State: 91.9 https://t.co/7Uphg6BlvP" / X (twitter.com)

(03-02-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-02-2024, 06:40 AM)Jag88 Wrote: With Balkie ignoring needing a cb last draft, I’m not getting too excited yet about the draft this time around. My expectations are the lowest in many jaguar years when it comes to the draft and even free agency. The way last season went was stupid. lol I guess I will be done healing from the shock of missing the play offs soon. I’m not going to guess too much, but I just hope for a good draft this time. Jags need it tremendously.

He drafted 3 DBs in the last draft, all of whom could play corner or nickle, then brought in 2 more UDFAs. They also signed Herndon and Tevaughn Campbell and had Brown and Junior from the 2022 draft who both played ok last year. Those are all behind the actual starters, and that's hardly ignoring it, so don't let your disappointment cloud the facts.
Yeah. This is one of the few things I can praise Baalke on. He's got a good eye and decent feel for secondary players.

I still think Braswell will be fun to watch this summer from last year's draft class as well.

I know we need a man to man corner based on some of the things that have been said recently and with the new DC here.

I think you can get a bigger, more sticky cover corner later on in this draft. A lot of guys slip every year. Antonio Johnson and Kelee Ringo are two good recent examples.

42.5 vert. Can't wait for his 40

https://x.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1764052...84892?s=20

(03-02-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Wow, you really love our back ups who get burned every game. The only ones to be confident in are Williams and hopefully Campbell if he can regain his 2022 form.

(03-02-2024, 08:05 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(03-02-2024, 09:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He drafted 3 DBs in the last draft, all of whom could play corner or nickle, then brought in 2 more UDFAs. They also signed Herndon and Tevaughn Campbell and had Brown and Junior from the 2022 draft who both played ok last year. Those are all behind the actual starters, and that's hardly ignoring it, so don't let your disappointment cloud the facts.

Wow, you really love our back ups who get burned every game. The only ones to be confident in are Williams and hopefully Campbell if he can regain his 2022 form.

YOU said he ignored it in last draft.  Whether he ‘loves them’ or not, Baalke didn’t ignore it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Brian Thomas 4.33 38.5 Vert at 6'3

OL needs to be the pick but I'll make an exception for Thomas

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 09:20 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-02-2024, 08:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-02-2024, 08:05 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Wow, you really love our back ups who get burned every game. The only ones to be confident in are Williams and hopefully Campbell if he can regain his 2022 form.

YOU said he ignored it in last draft.  Whether he ‘loves them’ or not, Baalke didn’t ignore it.

Not using a better pick on the problem is ignoring it.. oh, I forgot we needed strange, tank, and miller instead. My pardon.

Thomas or Worthy would look real good in a Jags uni.

I think with that 40.thomas is gone by our pick unfortunately.

Thomas would be tempting if he is still there at pick 17. However, today's combine demonstrated that there is likely to be a very good receiver the Jaguars could get in round 2. Keon Coleman's slow 40 time may push him to pick 48 which would be a steal. His size and ability to make contested catches would be welcome in Jacksonville. If he is not on the board, I'd also be very happy with Troy Franklin or McConkey from Georgia.

With the selection of a receiver in round 2, the Jaguars could add an offensive lineman, defensive lineman or cornerback in round 1. Top candidates would be JPJ, Newton or Murphy at DT, Jared Verse or Quinyon Mitchell.

(03-02-2024, 10:03 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I think with that 40.thomas is gone by our pick unfortunately.

Yeah it might require a trade up. I mean, McConkey proved to be an elite athlete, comps are Garrett Wilson for him. I wouldn’t even mind him at 17.