Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sharp Football Mock

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...A3XQQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is a very realistic mock. If it played out like this, I'd get on the phone to the Eagles and Steelers to see if they were willing to trade up. The Steelers must give us pick 84 in round 3 and the Eagles pick 97. I'd probably throw in one of our day 3 picks (round 4 or 5) to the Steelers.

The Jaguars could still get Thomas, JPJ or Mitchell in the Steelers deal and could then move up to get a high 3rd round pick (or late 2nd) by giving up 84 and 114. This would be the best way to end up with possibly 4 starters from this draft. Of course, Baalke would have to pick the correct players which is unfortunately not likely to happen!

I read these mock drafts, and constantly see some WR mocked to us with the comment, "Jags get more help for Trevor Lawrence." What people don't seem to realize is, the best way to help Trevor Lawrence is to get him a running game and a better defense.

(03-16-2024, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read these mock drafts, and constantly see some WR mocked to us with the comment, "Jags get more help for Trevor Lawrence."  What people don't seem to realize is, the best way to help Trevor Lawrence is to get him a running game and a better defense.

Yea, issue with all mocks are they can't account for trades on draft night. Just a couple whacks everything up.  One thing for sure we know one team will make a smart trade up and at least one will do something, let's just say "questionable" to be polite.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-16-2024, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read these mock drafts, and constantly see some WR mocked to us with the comment, "Jags get more help for Trevor Lawrence."  What people don't seem to realize is, the best way to help Trevor Lawrence is to get him a running game and a better defense.

My beliefs are similar. The better the offensive line and running game, the easier things are for Trevor. He certainly had little trouble finding receivers during that great 2nd half of the season run in 2022. As things stand now, he'll still have his 3 main weapons from that season; Kirk, Jones and Engram averaged 80 catches per player. He now has Gabe Davis which adds a legitimate deep ball threat to that trio. I'd still consider a receiver in round 2 if someone they really like drops to that spot like Mitchell, Coleman, McConkey, Leggett or Pearsall. It's going to be hard to keep both Kirk and Zay after they pay Lawrence and Allen so having their potential replacement would be understandable.

As things stand now, I'd still target a defensive player in round 1 and possibly round 2. Edge rusher, defensive tackle and cornerback are all on the table if the right guys are there. While I'd wait on a nose tackle until the 2nd or 3rd round to play next to Armstead, the following 7 players would be under consideration in round 1:

Dallas Turner, Laiatu Latu and Jared Verse as Edge rushers

Quinyon Mitchell, Nate Wiggins, Cooper DeJean and Terrion Arnold at cornerback. 

There's no doubt at least one or two of these players would be available at 17 and would make the defense much better thereby helping Trevor indirectly. Of course, if either Brock Bowers or Rome Odunze drop to 15, I'd explore a trade up as both are too good to pass up-even if their current receivers are acceptable!

They also don't factor in that Baalke has never drafted a first round WR. Ever.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-16-2024, 11:16 PM)Dimson Wrote:

They also don't factor in that Baalke has never drafted a first round WR. Ever.
Well that's wrong.

He drafted AJ Jenkins in round 1 in 2012.

(03-16-2024, 11:51 AM)Jag149 Wrote:

Yea, issue with all mocks are they can't account for trades on draft night. Just a couple whacks everything up.  One thing for sure we know one team will make a smart trade up and at least one will do something, let's just say "questionable" to be polite.

Vikes trading into the top ten to pick McCarthy is my wager

In these instances I look at the mock to see who they leave on the board. Would I prefer to take one of the other guys that were available there? Was the author forcing other players to a different team to keep that fanbase happy? More often than not we fall in the lazy analysis category. No mention of bucking Baalke's trend of not taking WR early, no acknowledgement that other players would have filled more pressing needs? Yeah, par for the course most of the time.

(03-18-2024, 10:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-16-2024, 11:16 PM)Dimson Wrote: They also don't factor in that Baalke has never drafted a first round WR. Ever.
Well that's wrong.

Ah. I must have missed that one. Who is AJ Jenkins? Lol.

(03-20-2024, 12:35 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 10:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well that's wrong.

Ah. I must have missed that one. Who is AJ Jenkins? Lol.

28 games, 3 games started, 17 catches and 223 yards is who AJ Jenkins is.

To add onto that, only 3 (none started) of those games came from the 49ers and Baalke who drafted him (0 yards). He was a healthy scratch almost all of his rookie season. The 49ers then traded him (for another WR Jon Baldwin) after his rookie season to the Chiefs and he played there for 2 seasons. He was in the league for a total of 3 seasons.

Baldwin wasn't any good either. The 49ers and Chiefs basically just swapped 1st round WR busts in that trade.

(03-21-2024, 04:47 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 12:35 PM)Dimson Wrote: Ah. I must have missed that one. Who is AJ Jenkins? Lol.

28 games, 3 games started, 17 catches and 223 yards is who AJ Jenkins is.

To add onto that, only 3 (none started) of those games came from the 49ers and Baalke who drafted him (0 yards). He was a healthy scratch almost all of his rookie season. The 49ers then traded him (for another WR Jon Baldwin) after his rookie season to the Chiefs and he played there for 2 seasons. He was in the league for a total of 3 seasons.

Baldwin wasn't any good either. The 49ers and Chiefs basically just swapped 1st round WR busts in that trade.

Maybe Baalke should not draft a WR after all, lol.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...bsHwA&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I don't think we draft DeJean but I'd be stoked about it if we did.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 12:54 PM by Caldrac.)

(04-17-2024, 12:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think we draft DeJean but I'd be stoked about it if we did.

He's getting a lot of traction towards us recently in a few mocks I have seen. Sharp today. I believe Kiper Jr. had him going to us as well in his latest mock and was in on this selection back in January already. 

He has a penchant for making big plays.

Passing on Newton at DT, Latu at EDGE, Verse at EDGE and Thomas Jr. at WR seems insane to me though. Especially considering DeJean's injury concerns. Would feel more compelled to add a player towards the front seven early on defense Vs. filling out the back four.

Armstead and Hamilton are also both injury prone now and not having a viable presence inside can come back to bite us once again for the second year in a row.

(04-17-2024, 12:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think we draft DeJean but I'd be stoked about it if we did.

He has that stadium chant type name.  When he knocks down a pass or makes an interception I can hear the "Cooooooooooooooop" already.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 02:15 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-17-2024, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

He's getting a lot of traction towards us recently in a few mocks I have seen. Sharp today. I believe Kiper Jr. had him going to us as well in his latest mock and was in on this selection back in January already. 

He's a close CB2 for me behind Mitchell.  He has All Pro potential.  His basketball highlights are insane.   Hes one of the bigger corners at over 200 lbs yet he's one of the most athletic CBs of all time really.  

9.89 ras, 1 percentile raw athletic score on top of production and a playmaker.  Those are the type of prospects l love.  I don't just want an athlete with Little production, I don't just want a player that has production on the field but a poor athlete, I want someone that has both.   If Nielsen wants a DB that he can get creative with DeJean can be that guy.  I also think they could just put him at one of the corner spots and he could be that guy in one spot as well.

(04-17-2024, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Passing on Newton at DT, Latu at EDGE, Verse at EDGE and Thomas Jr. at WR seems insane to me though. Especially considering DeJean's injury concerns. Would feel more compelled to add a player towards the front seven early on defense Vs. filling out the back four.

Armstead and Hamilton are also both injury prone now and not having a viable presence inside can come back to bite us once again for the second year in a row.

Latu has the biggest injury concern and has already medically retired once and Newton is coming off of surgery.  Both injury concerns too.

(04-17-2024, 02:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He's getting a lot of traction towards us recently in a few mocks I have seen. Sharp today. I believe Kiper Jr. had him going to us as well in his latest mock and was in on this selection back in January already. 

He's a close CB2 for me behind Mitchell.  He has All Pro potential.  His basketball highlights are insane.   Hes one of the bigger corners at over 200 lbs yet he's one of the most athletic CBs of all time really.  

9.89 ras, 1 percentile raw athletic score on top of production and a playmaker.  Those are the type of prospects l love.  I don't just want an athlete with Little production, I don't just want a player that has production on the field but a poor athlete, I want someone that has both.   If Nielsen wants a DB that he can get creative with DeJean can be that guy.  I also think they could just put him at one of the corner spots and he could be that guy in one spot as well.

(04-17-2024, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He's getting a lot of traction towards us recently in a few mocks I have seen. Sharp today. I believe Kiper Jr. had him going to us as well in his latest mock and was in on this selection back in January already. 

Latu has the biggest injury concern and has already medically retired once and Newton is coming off of surgery.  Both injury concerns too.

Yeah. I just find it interesting is all. Would prefer a more dominate front seven Vs. the back four being shored up right now. I fear things can still go south with Hamilton and Armstead. We need another player inside that interior group and we need to keep bodies competent and fresh in the rotation. 

Nobody moved the needle at all last year on that front four interior wise. By a natural side effect. Your secondary improves when the pass rush improves or the run defense is improved enough to where the guess work is eliminated. I know we can argue about coverage sacks as well. 

Either way. I'll support the selection of Cooper. I would just find it interesting in this particular scenario where they passed up on Newton, Latu, Verse and Thomas Jr.

I would be very happy with Thomas. Trevor is at his best when throwing to 6'4+ guys downfield and backshoulder throws.

Would not be happy with having to face a Wiggins/Stingley CB combo 2 times a year

(04-17-2024, 03:25 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: I would be very happy with Thomas. Trevor is at his best when throwing to 6'4+ guys downfield and backshoulder throws.

Would not be happy with having to face a Wiggins/Stingley CB combo 2 times a year

You think Wiggins goes in the 2nd?  Texans don't have a first