Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign Mitch Morse

(03-13-2024, 09:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-13-2024, 08:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Considering Fortner played guard and only one year at center in college, I’m thinking he would make a decent OG backup. Besides, who would trade for him?

Someone who thinks he can fix his problems. Like I said, happens all the time. The jests just traded for a tackle today, it was a swap of 4th round picks and a 6th. Yeah, Fortner isn't good, but he's young, experienced, and cheap. That's some attractive qualities for some coach who wants to rehab him.

Young, experienced, and cheap is why I would keep him.  As a backup C/OG.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2024, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-13-2024, 09:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Someone who thinks he can fix his problems. Like I said, happens all the time. The jests just traded for a tackle today, it was a swap of 4th round picks and a 6th. Yeah, Fortner isn't good, but he's young, experienced, and cheap. That's some attractive qualities for some coach who wants to rehab him.

Young, experienced, and cheap is why I would keep him.  As a backup C/OG.

That's because you, like them, don't see that he's also irreparably bad. It's time to move on and replace him with Morse's eventual replacement. That guy isn't Fortner. If Morse gets hurt in Novemeber I dont want Fortner going in the game.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2024, 03:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Young, experienced, and cheap is why I would keep him.  As a backup C/OG.

That's because you, like them, don't see that he's also irreparably bad. It's time to move on and replace him with Morse's eventual replacement. That guy isn't Fortner. If Morse gets hurt in Novemeber I dont want Fortner going in the game.

I agree but let's get this caveat in here...  What if he comes into camp 'roided up and ready to go?

I think I would trust just about any other back up o-line before fortner.

Yeah agree. Unless he is able to pack on some serious muscle mass, he is just too big of a liability.

(03-15-2024, 03:06 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 03:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That's because you, like them, don't see that he's also irreparably bad. It's time to move on and replace him with Morse's eventual replacement. That guy isn't Fortner. If Morse gets hurt in Novemeber I dont want Fortner going in the game.

I agree but let's get this caveat in here...  What if he comes into camp 'roided up and ready to go?

Why bring Robinson into this?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2024, 03:06 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 03:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That's because you, like them, don't see that he's also irreparably bad. It's time to move on and replace him with Morse's eventual replacement. That guy isn't Fortner. If Morse gets hurt in Novemeber I dont want Fortner going in the game.

he serves a suspension and we still need a backup C?

I was thinking about Morse and his history of concussions (6 in 8 years.) What's strange to me is that concussions for an OLmen are pretty rare when compared to other positions (RB, WR, CB, LB, S, and QB) in that they are generally caused by either getting tackled (or tackling) and banging your head on the opponent's shoulder, helmet, knee, or the ground. For a player that is in the middle of the line where first contact is almost instantaneous there isn't enough momentum to "crack the helmet."

There's always random events, where an offensive lineman gets toppled to the ground or picks up a linebacker with a head of steam helmet-to-helmet, but it seems like those are rare enough to be so consistent.

Just wondered if anyone knew more about Morse's history.

[/thought of the day.]

(03-25-2024, 11:55 PM)cland Wrote: I was thinking about Morse and his history of concussions (6 in 8 years.) What's strange to me is that concussions for an OLmen are pretty rare when compared to other positions (RB, WR, CB, LB, S, and QB) in that they are generally caused by either getting tackled (or tackling) and banging your head on the opponent's shoulder, helmet, knee, or the ground.  For a player that is in the middle of the line where first contact is almost instantaneous there isn't enough momentum to "crack the helmet."

There's always random events, where an offensive lineman gets toppled to the ground or picks up a linebacker with a head of steam helmet-to-helmet, but it seems like those are rare enough to be so consistent.

[/thought of the day.]

The most recent was as you described, he pulled right on a run play and went head to hand with a linebacker about 4 yards downfield. The hit was to the face mask but dazed him and he went in the protocol for a week. That was 2 seasons after his mot recent one though and the early ones were attributed to him not using a mouth guard which he does now. It's a real risk that the team will have to watch and why I think they should draft JPJ if he's there at 17.

(03-26-2024, 06:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 11:55 PM)cland Wrote: I was thinking about Morse and his history of concussions (6 in 8 years.) What's strange to me is that concussions for an OLmen are pretty rare when compared to other positions (RB, WR, CB, LB, S, and QB) in that they are generally caused by either getting tackled (or tackling) and banging your head on the opponent's shoulder, helmet, knee, or the ground.  For a player that is in the middle of the line where first contact is almost instantaneous there isn't enough momentum to "crack the helmet."

[/thought of the day.]

The most recent was as you described, he pulled right on a run play and went head to hand with a linebacker about 4 yards downfield. The hit was to the face mask but dazed him and he went in the protocol for a week. That was 2 seasons after his mot recent one though and the early ones were attributed to him not using a mouth guard which he does now. It's a real risk that the team will have to watch and why I think they should draft JPJ if he's there at 17.

I think JPJ will still be available in a trade down into the 20s. If the Jags go OL at #17, several quality OTs should be available. I'm strongly feeling it's going to be a corner, however.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt