Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gun Nuts

Question. Just recently started getting into shooting. I have a 590 Mossberg Retrograde 12 Gauge Shotgun. It's for home defense. Have yet to shoot it.

But... I did get to play around these past few weekends with a Glock and an SR45. Both are fun to fire off at the range. Starting to like the 45 a little bit more. It's heavier.

With that said. Those are my sister in law's boyfriends so I want to invest in my own. I am leaning towards the following:

A 1911. I like the woodgrain looks with metal. Like a Springfield. Desert Eagle, etc.

I also wouldn't mind a 9mm gun. Like a Glock 19 Gen 5.

My only complaint is the grip. Feels a little small for my hands. I like having a little length on the end of it for comfort reasons.

Anybody have any preferences or experiences with these?

Eventually I'll want to get into long range and invest in a rifle. Like an AR10, etc. For now though, just something light, a little compact and mostly for competitive shooting at the range.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2024, 07:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Question. Just recently started getting into shooting. I have a 590 Mossberg Retrograde 12 Gauge Shotgun. It's for home defense. Have yet to shoot it.

But... I did get to play around these past few weekends with a Glock and an SR45. Both are fun to fire off at the range. Starting to like the 45 a little bit more. It's heavier.

With that said. Those are my sister in law's boyfriends so I want to invest in my own. I am leaning towards the following:

A 1911. I like the woodgrain looks with metal. Like a Springfield. Desert Eagle, etc.

My only complaint is the grip. Feels a little small for my hands. I like having a little length on the end of it for comfort reasons.

Eventually I'll want to get into long range and invest in a rifle. Like an AR10, etc. For now though, just something light, a little compact and mostly for competitive shooting at the range.

I personally have a 1911 .45 and prefer the bigger handgrip because I have long fingers. Plus, it a freaking .45! I love firing that thing. It's obviously not easy to CC though if that's ever a consideration. My husband has a 9mm but I'm not sure the brand. He takes it to work and that's where he is now or I'd ask him what it is. I like the smaller 9mm for easy CC and such but that grip is too dang small for me. He has shorter fingers so it works for him. I could swear at one point we saw some 9s that had a longer grip for those of us with bigger hands/longer fingers. I wasn't concerned about CC at the time and he didn't need a bigger/longer grip so we never considered it. Research that and you might find something. I think it has to do with the fact that the magazine also carries more bullets so it's longer. It's been about 8 years since we bought our sidearms so I don't remember. 

I'll tell you, the most [BLEEP] thing I ever got to fire was a 50 cal in boot camp. Sweet Christmas that thing was awesome. 30 years later and I still remember that. LOL  I also love my shotgun. They're just fun to fire out in the middle of a field. It stays in the bedroom on my side of the bed which is opposite the room from the door. Hubby is at work 14 hours overnight so I'm here alone a lot. I lock my bedroom door so they'll wake me up trying to open it so if someone somehow makes it to my bedroom door before I know they're in the house I've got it covered. 

A girl can't be too safe. Most people know not to come around here because we all have guns. A lot of country folk have hunting rifles and such if nothing else so the idiots stay away.

(03-15-2024, 07:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 07:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Question. Just recently started getting into shooting. I have a 590 Mossberg Retrograde 12 Gauge Shotgun. It's for home defense. Have yet to shoot it.

I personally have a 1911 .45 and prefer the bigger handgrip because I have long fingers. Plus, it a freaking .45! I love firing that thing. It's obviously not easy to CC though if that's ever a consideration. My husband has a 9mm but I'm not sure the brand. He takes it to work and that's where he is now or I'd ask him what it is. I like the smaller 9mm for easy CC and such but that grip is too dang small for me. He has shorter fingers so it works for him. I could swear at one point we saw some 9s that had a longer grip for those of us with bigger hands/longer fingers. I wasn't concerned about CC at the time and he didn't need a bigger/longer grip so we never considered it. Research that and you might find something. I think it has to do with the fact that the magazine also carries more bullets so it's longer. It's been about 8 years since we bought our sidearms so I don't remember. 

I'll tell you, the most [BLEEP] thing I ever got to fire was a 50 cal in boot camp. Sweet Christmas that thing was awesome. 30 years later and I still remember that. LOL  I also love my shotgun. They're just fun to fire out in the middle of a field. It stays in the bedroom on my side of the bed which is opposite the room from the door. Hubby is at work 14 hours overnight so I'm here alone a lot. I lock my bedroom door so they'll wake me up trying to open it so if someone somehow makes it to my bedroom door before I know they're in the house I've got it covered. 

A girl can't be too safe. Most people know not to come around here because we all have guns. A lot of country folk have hunting rifles and such if nothing else so the idiots stay away.
Nice! I agree on the .45! It's just flatout fun to fire off. I have the same situation going on with my fingers. I don't want to feel like I am trying to interlace my fingers on a gun too much. Just want enough grip to where my pointer fingers are on the trigger.

I am waiting on the Gun Show to hit us in April. It's during draft weekend which is around my birthday on the 27th but I really want to go and check it out and get a feel for what's out there.

I want to get something to CC with at some point. Maybe a Ruger Security 380 or something, but, man, the grip on that thing is itty bitty. We'll see I guess.

Agreed on the girl and her gun saying too. My wife wants to start out with a P22 to get comfortable. I work overnight's here and there and I would feel better if she had something.

Would rather have it and never have to use it on somebody Vs. being caught dead in a situation wishing I had one. Appreciate the feedback!

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-15-2024, 08:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 07:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I personally have a 1911 .45 and prefer the bigger handgrip because I have long fingers. Plus, it a freaking .45! I love firing that thing. It's obviously not easy to CC though if that's ever a consideration. My husband has a 9mm but I'm not sure the brand. He takes it to work and that's where he is now or I'd ask him what it is. I like the smaller 9mm for easy CC and such but that grip is too dang small for me. He has shorter fingers so it works for him. I could swear at one point we saw some 9s that had a longer grip for those of us with bigger hands/longer fingers. I wasn't concerned about CC at the time and he didn't need a bigger/longer grip so we never considered it. Research that and you might find something. I think it has to do with the fact that the magazine also carries more bullets so it's longer. It's been about 8 years since we bought our sidearms so I don't remember. 

Nice! I agree on the .45! It's just flatout fun to fire off. I have the same situation going on with my fingers. I don't want to feel like I am trying to interlace my fingers on a gun too much. Just want enough grip to where my pointer fingers are on the trigger.

I am waiting on the Gun Show to hit us in April. It's during draft weekend which is around my birthday on the 27th but I really want to go and check it out and get a feel for what's out there.

I want to get something to CC with at some point. Maybe a Ruger Security 380 or something, but, man, the grip on that thing is itty bitty. We'll see I guess.

Agreed on the girl and her gun saying too. My wife wants to start out with a P22 to get comfortable. I work overnight's here and there and I would feel better if she had something.

Would rather have it and never have to use it on somebody Vs. being caught dead in a situation wishing I had one. Appreciate the feedback!

It's impossible to not like a 1911.  Have you shot much with a revolver?  I personally find them fun for recreational shooting.  Try a Colt Python (357 mag) or S & W 29 (44 mag) in 6'' or longer if you get a chance.  

For CC, don't be too quick to go with a 380.  There are loads of options in 9mm that carry/conceal very well, and the stopping power is far superior.   

The important thing to remember is different guns for different applications.  For home defense, concealment isn't a factor, so there's no need to go with a sub-compact.  Get a mid to full-size piece that's easy to hit the target with.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 05:23 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-15-2024, 10:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 08:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Nice! I agree on the .45! It's just flatout fun to fire off. I have the same situation going on with my fingers. I don't want to feel like I am trying to interlace my fingers on a gun too much. Just want enough grip to where my pointer fingers are on the trigger.

It's impossible to not like a 1911.  Have you shot much with a revolver?  I personally find them fun for recreational shooting.  Try a Colt Python (357 mag) or S & W 29 (44 mag) in 6'' or longer if you get a chance.  

For CC, don't be too quick to go with a 380.  There are loads of options in 9mm that carry/conceal very well, and the stopping power is far superior.   

The important thing to remember is different guns for different applications.  For home defense, concealment isn't a factor, so there's no need to go with a sub-compact.  Get a mid to full-size piece that's easy to hit the target with.
Thanks for the advice. I love the look of the revolver. I kind of have an eye or prefer the retro looking guns or styles. Snub nose, mid and long barrel. Pretty cool options.

I grew up watching action movies and spaghetti western's and western's in general with my old man.

The Dirty Harry gun is sweet looking. Agreed on the 1911 though. I feel like I am hell bent on owning one of those. It'll be awhile before I get comfortable with CC.

With CC though I would prefer a 9mm for sure. Maybe need to get into a habit of having a belt, holster and shirt to cover it up on me if possible.

That's something ill give my friend credit for. He preaches practicing and resetting your shots from your holster just for that reason if you're out and it's a crazy situation unfolding.

(03-16-2024, 05:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 10:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote: It's impossible to not like a 1911.  Have you shot much with a revolver?  I personally find them fun for recreational shooting.  Try a Colt Python (357 mag) or S & W 29 (44 mag) in 6'' or longer if you get a chance.  

Thanks for the advice. I love the look of the revolver. I kind of have an eye or prefer the retro looking guns or styles. Snub nose, mid and long barrel. Pretty cool options.

I grew up watching action movies and spaghetti western's and western's in general with my old man.

The Dirty Harry gun is sweet looking. Agreed on the 1911 though. I feel like I am hell bent on owning one of those. It'll be awhile before I get comfortable with CC.

With CC though I would prefer a 9mm for sure. Maybe need to get into a habit of having a belt, holster and shirt to cover it up on me if possible.

That's something ill give my friend credit for. He preaches practicing and resetting your shots from your holster just for that reason if you're out and it's a crazy situation unfolding.

I have a Sig P938 for CC which I honestly hardly ever carry concealed.  Need to get in the habit of doing so more often with the way the world is going.  It's a pocket sized 9mm based on the 1911 design.  The 1911 design has been around forever for a reason.

I lost all my guns in a boating accident. But I will say if I was to reinvest into firearms my preference was always Glocks I've owned a few as for shotguns depends on what you want to use it for. I love sport shooting so my shotgun collection was the most expensive before the boating accident. When considering the AR platform to me they're all the same. I'm not going to war so I don't need a 2k AR platform just make sure it has forward assist they tend to jam up. I personally prefer the AK over the AR they eat everything and can take major abuse. I was really sad when my AK's where lost.....

But I warn you gun math is a lot like chicken math. You'll never just have one and they seem to multiply?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 02:37 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-16-2024, 11:35 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-16-2024, 05:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I love the look of the revolver. I kind of have an eye or prefer the retro looking guns or styles. Snub nose, mid and long barrel. Pretty cool options.

I have a Sig P938 for CC which I honestly hardly ever carry concealed.  Need to get in the habit of doing so more often with the way the world is going.  It's a pocket sized 9mm based on the 1911 design.  The 1911 design has been around forever for a reason.

Nice! And agreed! Leaning towards a 1911 and if I can pick-up a reasonably priced 9mm I might go for it for sure. Glock's are nice but I wouldn't mind giving an Echelon a try.

(03-16-2024, 11:44 AM)EricC85 Wrote: I lost all my guns in a boating accident. But I will say if I was to reinvest into firearms my preference was always Glocks I've owned a few as for shotguns depends on what you want to use it for. I love sport shooting so my shotgun collection was the most expensive before the boating accident. When considering the AR platform to me they're all the same. I'm not going to war so I don't need a 2k AR platform just make sure it has forward assist they tend to jam up. I personally prefer the AK over the AR they eat everything and can take major abuse. I was really sad when my AK's where lost.....

But I warn you gun math is a lot like chicken math. You'll never just have one and they seem to multiply?

LOL. I hear you! And I can see why people get into it. I honestly got hooked immediately on the target shooting. Every time you hear that "ping" it gets me excited. I have heard the same thing about AK's man. My friend digs those. He swears by them as well and has only heard good things about them. It's something to consider down the road. 

My main goal is to have:

Home defense - Which I have already with the Mossberg 590. 
CC - This will depend, leaning towards a 9mm for sure but I am stuck on either a Glock or something else. 
Target Practice / Home defense - 1911.
Long Range Practice (Maybe hunting down the road) - AR10 or some type of lever action rifle with range and a scope.

Sorry to hear about your boating accident man. That's a bummer. But, yeah, sport shooting is fun as hell. Maybe a year from now I'll get into disc shooting or duck shooting at the range. They offer that.

I’m not a gun nut by any means, but I put these grip extensions on my Taurus 380 and they work wonderfully.

(03-16-2024, 11:44 AM)EricC85 Wrote: I lost all my guns in a boating accident. But I will say if I was to reinvest into firearms my preference was always Glocks I've owned a few as for shotguns depends on what you want to use it for. I love sport shooting so my shotgun collection was the most expensive before the boating accident. When considering the AR platform to me they're all the same. I'm not going to war so I don't need a 2k AR platform just make sure it has forward assist they tend to jam up. I personally prefer the AK over the AR they eat everything and can take major abuse. I was really sad when my AK's where lost.....

In a boating accident? Sounds a little fishy (can we take this moment to acknowledge such a wonderful pun?).

Insurance adjuster: 'You lost all of your guns in a boating accident? Do you mean to say you lost your fishing gear?'
Eric: 'No. I lost those in a shooting accident.'

I like the 45 Cal. 1911's for one reason, their stopping power. AT close range (point blank if you're getting mugged), The entry wound may look like a pin prick but........ with a hollow point shell, You would be able to drive a Kenworth through the exit wound......... The idiot that tried to mug you, will never bother anyone again.............
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 03:16 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-16-2024, 02:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m not a gun nut by any means, but I put these grip extensions on my Taurus 380 and they work wonderfully.

Nice. I keep forgetting about stuff like that. Plenty of bells and whistles to add onto most guns. I'll keep this tip in my mind for sure. Thank you!

(03-16-2024, 02:57 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I like the 45 Cal. 1911's for one reason, their stopping power. AT close range (point blank if you're getting mugged), The entry wound may look like a pin prick but........ with a hollow point shell, You would be able to drive a Kenworth through the exit wound......... The idiot that tried to mug you, will never bother anyone again.............

Sounds about right! Yeah it looks like the 1911 is going to be my handgun of choice.

I love the way the Glock shoots, personally. I don't know why, but I tend to shoot really well with it, but I use an extended mag to make the grip fit better in my hand. Did you try that when shooting?

(03-16-2024, 02:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

In a boating accident? Sounds a little fishy (can we take this moment to acknowledge such a wonderful pun?).

Insurance adjuster: 'You lost all of your guns in a boating accident? Do you mean to say you lost your fishing gear?'
Eric: 'No. I lost those in a shooting accident.'

LOL.  I was questioning what manner of "boating" required the full arsenal onboard but thought I might be better off not knowing. 

Sorry I can't give you give you higher marks for the "fishy" pun, but it wasn't overly difficult to fathom.  Honestly, the whole thing just sort of sank to the bottom.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I buy it?". Yes.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I carry a Taurus PT-1911 in .45 ACP while I'm around the house.  I like how it shoots.

For CC I carry a Kimber Micro-9 in 9mm.  It's small, light weight and easy to conceal.  The only downside is that it only holds 7+1.

For my wife I got her a Smith & Wesson M&P-EZ chambered in .380.  What is nice about this one is that it is very light weight and the slide is very easy to pull back (something my wife struggles with on my other guns).

As far  as choosing a CC firearm, I would not rule out a .380 by any means.  It's all about ammo selection.  A .380 has plenty of stopping power and is much easier to handle.  My choice of ammo for all of my defensive shooting is Underwood Ammo Extreme Defender.  The design of the bullet will penetrate through clothing, create a large, rapidly expanding air pocket that will destroy internal organs and very rarely will exit.  You don't want a bullet that will go through a "target" that could possibly injure someone un-intentionally.

My last bit of advice is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  If you are focusing on self defense, don't waste time/ammo on "precision" shots at 25 yards or more.  Practice drawing your weapon and shooting quickly at 10-15 yards.  That's the largest distance that most self defense situations happen.

I have the luxury of having my own firing range and I shoot at least weekly.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-17-2024, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I carry a Taurus PT-1911 in .45 ACP while I'm around the house.  I like how it shoots.

For CC I carry a Kimber Micro-9 in 9mm.  It's small, light weight and easy to conceal.  The only downside is that it only holds 7+1.

For my wife I got her a Smith & Wesson M&P-EZ chambered in .380.  What is nice about this one is that it is very light weight and the slide is very easy to pull back (something my wife struggles with on my other guns).

As far  as choosing a CC firearm, I would not rule out a .380 by any means.  It's all about ammo selection.  A .380 has plenty of stopping power and is much easier to handle.  My choice of ammo for all of my defensive shooting is Underwood Ammo Extreme Defender.  The design of the bullet will penetrate through clothing, create a large, rapidly expanding air pocket that will destroy internal organs and very rarely will exit.  You don't want a bullet that will go through a "target" that could possibly injure someone un-intentionally.

My last bit of advice is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  If you are focusing on self defense, don't waste time/ammo on "precision" shots at 25 yards or more.  Practice drawing your weapon and shooting quickly at 10-15 yards.  That's the largest distance that most self defense situations happen.

‘I’ll drink to that.’

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ebqub9r6t11xdkw30k...y.gif&ct=g]

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 06:49 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-16-2024, 07:59 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I love the way the Glock shoots, personally. I don't know why, but I tend to shoot really well with it, but I use an extended mag to make the grip fit better in my hand. Did you try that when shooting?

Going to look into that. With the extensions. Homebiscuit brought that up earlier as well. I appreciate it! 

The Glock is fun to shoot. Can't deny that. Minminal recoil, easy to slide it back and just point and shoot with for sure.

(03-17-2024, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I carry a Taurus PT-1911 in .45 ACP while I'm around the house.  I like how it shoots.

Really, really appreciate all of this. I agree with you the last bit about practicing and being more practical for sure. I noticed some people at the range doing just that, rapid fire from drawing from their holster's and up closer than usual with the more precision style targeting posters.

Looked fun. I have been looking at S&W's (The M&P 5.7's) and some CZ Shadow's recently as well. I'll end up getting a feel though once that show rolls into town next month. Hopefully they have some tables set-up with some of these good recommendations made above.

(03-17-2024, 03:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:  You don't want a bullet that will go through a "target" that could possibly injure someone un-intentionally.

They outlawed, and quit making the ammunition that I was using for a while. It was called "The Black Talon" shells. They looked like a regular hollow point cartridge however, when they hit their target and the shell expanded, there were barbs like on a fish hook that "ripped" through the flesh and kept it from exiting your target.

[Image: BTA.jpg]

Why were Black Talon bullets banned?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRREyAslqY4n4hz37Z8zjm...vRWW8tEg&s]

In the U.S. no, they were never illegal by any federal law (all hollow points are illegal for self defense in New Jersey but that's a different matter and has nothing to do specifically with Black Talons). Winchester voluntarily withdrew them from the market due to public misconceptions pending a lawsuit.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024, 02:16 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

Make sure to practice pulling your weapon at the gun counter like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObH3L8c51fk