Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DL + OLB - 2024 Edition

Jags have added a productive interior pass rusher and overall defender in the middle with the Armstead signing. 

They have quality OLB starters in Allen (presumed to sign new deal soon) and Walker (entering 3rd year on the rise)

Today they inked some depth at OLB in Trevis Gipson:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...psTr00.htm

We don't know what to expect from Hamilton.
We don't know how the new staff feel about other pieces on the roster.

What additions or changes do you expect in the coming 6 weeks?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Drafting a DT and a CB in the first 4 rounds. There's a plethora a both in this draft and we can bolster both rooms with the picks. I've also been talking up Evan Anderson from FAU with a late pick. He's a huge man with Ted Washington-like potential but he's going to need at least 1 year to get into NFL shape. I think we see Travon at End rather than running around at OLB, so maybe we get more of Lloyd in a traditional Will role with Allen working in at Sam. I hope to see Antonio Johnson beat out Savage for the SS spot, I'd rather we develop him and have Savage for veteran insurance. I also think this is the year that Tre Herndon moves on, we'll have youth and draft picks to take those 2nd through 5th CB spots this year (depending on where Darby lines up).
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-18-2024, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags have added a productive interior pass rusher and overall defender in the middle with the Armstead signing. 

They have quality OLB starters in Allen (presumed to sign new deal soon) and Walker (entering 3rd year on the rise)

I think they're more than likely going to add a veteran edge presence at DE/OLB and I think they'll draft another interior lineman as early as RD2 that offers some flexibility to work the edge as well. 

I am hoping they land somebody like Ruke Orhorhoro, Kris Jenkins or T'Vondre Sweat with that 2nd RD selection. I could see them also looking at guys like Gabe Hall out of Baylor and Logan Lee out of Iowa on day three.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Really hoping RRH starts playing up to the level

If him and Hamilton come to form then we all of a sudden have a top 10 Dline in the league

If Brian Thomas Jr or Murphy aren’t there at 17 I think you gotta go corner. Then hopefully the Jags trade a 3rd and a future pick for Aiyuk

(03-18-2024, 12:28 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Really hoping RRH starts playing up to the level

If him and Hamilton come to form then we all of a sudden have a top 10 Dline in the league

If Brian Thomas Jr or Murphy aren’t there at 17 I think you gotta go corner. Then hopefully the Jags trade a 3rd and a future pick for Aiyuk

The Aiyuk thing is Ridley 2.0, you still are trading picks for a rental that you won't be able to afford the following year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'd still like to see them add an interior DL in round 1 -- Byron Murphy II (Texas) ---- 6'1" 308 pounds. I'm a big fan of dominating the DL with run pluggers they way the ravens did if with H. Ngata and the Steelers did it with C. Hampton. I'm tired of the Jags getting pushed around, pretty much since Henderson & Stroud left, with the exception of a few years here and there.

(03-18-2024, 12:28 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Really hoping RRH starts playing up to the level

I know why people would like an Aiyuk rental...but do people really think Trevor not having another established receiver is what could keep the Jags from winning the division?
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(03-18-2024, 12:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Drafting a DT and a CB in the first 4 rounds. There's a plethora a both in this draft and we can bolster both rooms with the picks. I've also been talking up Evan Anderson from FAU with a late pick. He's a huge man with Ted Washington-like potential but he's going to need at least 1 year to get into NFL shape. I think we see Travon at End rather than running around at OLB, so maybe we get more of Lloyd in a traditional Will role with Allen working in at Sam. I hope to see Antonio Johnson beat out Savage for the SS spot, I'd rather we develop him and have Savage for veteran insurance. I also think this is the year that Tre Herndon moves on, we'll have youth and draft picks to take those 2nd through 5th CB spots this year (depending on where Darby lines up).

I envision Savage at Free and Cisco at Strong
theyll be interchangeable ofcourse but I see that as base

I dont know if I missed the team saying otherwise

(03-18-2024, 12:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Drafting a DT and a CB in the first 4 rounds. There's a plethora a both in this draft and we can bolster both rooms with the picks. I've also been talking up Evan Anderson from FAU with a late pick. He's a huge man with Ted Washington-like potential but he's going to need at least 1 year to get into NFL shape. I think we see Travon at End rather than running around at OLB, so maybe we get more of Lloyd in a traditional Will role with Allen working in at Sam. I hope to see Antonio Johnson beat out Savage for the SS spot, I'd rather we develop him and have Savage for veteran insurance. I also think this is the year that Tre Herndon moves on, we'll have youth and draft picks to take those 2nd through 5th CB spots this year (depending on where Darby lines up).

I can see him being a starter in the nickel

(03-18-2024, 01:56 PM)Marcos25067 Wrote:

I can see him being a starter in the nickel

Perhaps, but I think we'll have Tyson, Darby, Brown, and Junior locked in next year plus we all expect them to draft a CB early next month. Maybe he moves to nickel on 3rd down, but I like what I saw of him at the end of the year and would like him out there on 1st and 2nd as well. I was not overly impressed with Savage last year and that signing feels like a lateral-replacement-insurance signing at best.

The defensive line could still use a big run stuffing tackle to play next to Armstead. Sweat would be a possible option in round 2. Other good options are McKinley Jackson in round 3 or small school draft riser Khristian Boyd from Northern Iowa in the 4th round. The same could be said for adding another pass rusher to help Allen and Walker. The signing of Gipson doesn't really add much to this group. I also would have preferred a veteran like Bud Dupree, but he probably wanted a lot more than what they paid Gipson.

(03-18-2024, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags have added a productive interior pass rusher and overall defender in the middle with the Armstead signing. 

DT falls under 'get the big guys early' - If we slide back in the first, Murphy might be good value.

A few guys in the second or third are appealing, too - Sweat, Ruke, Jenkins. Only guy late I have my eye on is Gabe Hall. I think we need to have sturdy horses in the stable given both Ham and Armstead's recent injury history.

The OLB field I see more of an approach in the middle to late rounds, build some depth with potential, but taking a guy early might seem like a waste because you're already feeding Allen and Walker the bulk of the snaps. If you take an EDGE guy in rnd 1, you're all but saying you plan to move on from Walker (or Allen, as dirty as typing this makes me feel) in the near future.

(03-18-2024, 04:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The defensive line could still use a big run stuffing tackle to play next to Armstead. Sweat would be a possible option in round 2. Other good options are McKinley Jackson in round 3 or small school draft riser Khristian Boyd from Northern Iowa in the 4th round. The same could be said for adding another pass rusher to help Allen and Walker. The signing of Gipson doesn't really add much to this group. I also would have preferred a veteran like Bud Dupree, but he probably wanted a lot more than what they paid Gipson.

Boyd was the highest rated run defender in college at Northern Iowa but dude has a 76" wing span.  He ain't coming here

(03-18-2024, 03:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 01:56 PM)Marcos25067 Wrote: I can see him being a starter in the nickel

Perhaps, but I think we'll have Tyson, Darby, Brown, and Junior locked in next year plus we all expect them to draft a CB early next month. Maybe he moves to nickel on 3rd down, but I like what I saw of him at the end of the year and would like him out there on 1st and 2nd as well. I was not overly impressed with Savage last year and that signing feels like a lateral-replacement-insurance signing at best.

If we land someone like Q.Mitchell in the the first, do you think he supplants Darby or Campbell on the outside? I don't know enough about Darby to say whether he can cover nickel well, but I think Campbell is more suited to the outside.

(03-18-2024, 04:54 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 03:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Perhaps, but I think we'll have Tyson, Darby, Brown, and Junior locked in next year plus we all expect them to draft a CB early next month. Maybe he moves to nickel on 3rd down, but I like what I saw of him at the end of the year and would like him out there on 1st and 2nd as well. I was not overly impressed with Savage last year and that signing feels like a lateral-replacement-insurance signing at best.

If we land someone like Q.Mitchell in the the first, do you think he supplants Darby or Campbell on the outside? I don't know enough about Darby to say whether he can cover nickel well, but I think Campbell is more suited to the outside.

Darby has played the nickel and outside.  He can do both

(03-18-2024, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

I think they're more than likely going to add a veteran edge presence at DE/OLB and I think they'll draft another interior lineman as early as RD2 that offers some flexibility to work the edge as well. 

I am hoping they land somebody like Ruke Orhorhoro, Kris Jenkins or T'Vondre Sweat with that 2nd RD selection. I could see them also looking at guys like Gabe Hall out of Baylor and Logan Lee out of Iowa on day three.

I seriously hope they bring in some type of veteran pass rusher on the edge that can give you 5-7.

Got lucky last year with Allen going for 18.5, oh yeah the refs blew it, I meant 17.5 or else the Jaguars would have been starving to get after the QB.

(03-18-2024, 01:43 PM)jagshype Wrote:

I envision Savage at Free and Cisco at Strong
theyll be interchangeable ofcourse but I see that as base

I dont know if I missed the team saying otherwise

Doug said nickel for Savage I'm pretty sure.
No Fun

I read an article by a 49ers writer who called Armstead "damaged goods" and said he has plantar fasciitis which will not be fixed or go away, and that will cause him to miss a lot of games in the future. So I hope the Jags do more on the defensive line than just Armstead.

(03-31-2024, 10:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read an article by a 49ers writer who called Armstead "damaged goods" and said he has plantar fasciitis which will not be fixed or go away, and that will cause him to miss a lot of games in the future.  So I hope the Jags do more on the defensive line than just Armstead.

Masterclass

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 11:56 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-31-2024, 10:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read an article by a 49ers writer who called Armstead "damaged goods" and said he has plantar fasciitis which will not be fixed or go away, and that will cause him to miss a lot of games in the future.  So I hope the Jags do more on the defensive line than just Armstead.

Maybe he does, we will find out. I am a bit skeptical as it is a low risk proposition for a writer to predict something like this.  The Jags would know about this even if true.  They would have given him a medical evaluation before the signing. If not the contract would have been conditional that he passed an evaluation after.  Hiding a known condition would/should also be covered.
A new broom always sweeps clean.