Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baltimore bridge collapse

https://youtu.be/ZQ9XOlLX1VU?si=cjm-RAb-CvdOue2n

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-28-2024, 09:05 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:07 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I really feel for the families of those workers. They died, working a routine shift, in a most terrifying way. Theirs wasn’t a sudden and instant death.

The amount of people working on ships with zero ability to swim is astounding

The six who died were on the bridge patching potholes.  Not on the ship.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Two years ago I had my first ever panic attack driving over the George Washington bridge in New York. Never had one before but I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest, it got hard to breath and I stared to feel like my vision was going out. Got off the bridge and pulled off an exit and threw up. I thought it was just because I was nervous driving in New York the first and hopefully last time. It happened again yesterday going over the dames point bridge on 295 east. I really hope I'm not getting some irrational fear of driving over bridges but I don't know what to do. It just happens out of no where.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(04-02-2024, 10:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 09:05 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: The amount of people working on ships with zero ability to swim is astounding

The six who died were on the bridge patching potholes.  Not on the ship.

Strange I read a story where the ship called mayday which allowed authorities to minimize traffic. I'd assume from that they'd clear the road workers. I guess in the fog someone jumped the gun on the mayday story

(04-05-2024, 01:13 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 10:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: The six who died were on the bridge patching potholes.  Not on the ship.

Strange I read a story where the ship called mayday which allowed authorities to minimize traffic. I'd assume from that they'd clear the road workers. I guess in the fog someone jumped the gun on the mayday story

The warning went out to stop the traffic. There are recordings of it. Unfortunately, it appears the repair workers weren’t in that communications loop. Or, they were attempting to flee when the ship struck. The two bodies recovered were inside of a truck. The others are entangled in the wreckage and aren’t retrievable until some of it is removed.

(04-05-2024, 11:29 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Two years ago I had my first ever panic attack driving over the George Washington bridge in New York. Never had one before but I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest, it got hard to breath and I stared to feel like my vision was going out. Got off the bridge and pulled off an exit and threw up. I thought it was just because I was nervous driving in New York the first and hopefully last time. It happened again yesterday going over the dames point bridge on 295 east. I really hope I'm not getting some irrational fear of driving over bridges but I don't know what to do. It just happens out of no where.

Talking about it is the first step.  Hang out in the right lane and be ready to pull over if you need to. Usually panic attacks can be managed with deep breaths and some distraction.  Changing the radio station to something you don't usually listen to can help. People's brains can start doing new things at any time so don't be ashamed of it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-05-2024, 11:29 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Two years ago I had my first ever panic attack driving over the George Washington bridge in New York. Never had one before but I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest, it got hard to breath and I stared to feel like my vision was going out. Got off the bridge and pulled off an exit and threw up. I thought it was just because I was nervous driving in New York the first and hopefully last time. It happened again yesterday going over the dames point bridge on 295 east. I really hope I'm not getting some irrational fear of driving over bridges but I don't know what to do. It just happens out of no where.

Not an uncommon thing. Gephyrophobia or something like that I think it is called. 

I know a few folks with it. 
My mother for instance would add 15 minutes to her trip to cross the Matthews Bridge instead of the Hart because the Hart made her too anxious.

I never have liked long high off the water bridges to begin with. Every time I needed to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, I would freak out. Then when I lived in Jax, I once had to walk across that rickety yellow Riverside Bridge before they replaced it....... That was no walk in the park for me...............
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Been over the Seven Mile Bridge many times.. Not very high up, but I imagine could be just as nerve racking..

Beautiful scenery though!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2024, 04:39 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't get panic attacks about bridges (I've had a panic attack or two before many many years ago so I know what you're describing, but it wasn't from any sort of phobia), but I have gotten way more conscious of the fact I'm driving over a bridge in the past few years and a little bit more nervous about it as a result.  I've read about too many freak accidents on bridges that send a car over the side.  Seemed like I was hearing about something happening on the Buckman bridge almost once per year for a while.  Dames Point is the most nerve racking because of the altitude, especially on a windy day.

My advice is to keep in mind that the bridge is just part of the road/highway.  Just stay in your lane, concentrate on the road and don't pay so much attention to the surrounding area.  I know that it's easier said than done.  I don't really have a fear of bridges, but my wife really does.

With that being said, I hate going over the Buckman bridge because it has become such a disaster.  There are far too many people on the road that think it's a race to get across it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2024, 05:00 PM by WingerDinger.)

(04-05-2024, 04:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

My advice is to keep in mind that the bridge is just part of the road/highway.  Just stay in your lane, concentrate on the road and don't pay so much attention to the surrounding area.  I know that it's easier said than done.  I don't really have a fear of bridges, but my wife really does.

With that being said, I hate going over the Buckman bridge because it has become such a disaster.  There are far too many people on the road that think it's a race to get across it.

I have to take The Shands every now and then.. I know they're still working on it, blah blah..

But that sucker can be pretty stressful, especially in rush hour.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

It's weird I go over the Shands bridge every few days and no problem. Same with the buckman don't have a single worry at all. I've even done the dames point bridge a number of times living here all my life, but yesterday it was just like on the George Washington all over again. It was breezy so I could feel the truck and bridge swaying maybe that was it, but man that sucked.

Felt sick the rest of the night even once I got back home.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(04-05-2024, 06:36 PM)EricC85 Wrote: It's weird I go over the Shands bridge every few days and no problem. Same with the buckman don't have a single worry at all. I've even done the dames point bridge a number of times living here all my life, but yesterday it was just like on the George Washington all over again. It was breezy so I could feel the truck and bridge swaying maybe that was it, but man that sucked.

Felt sick the rest of the night even once I got back home.

Probably easier said than done, but you have to remember with panic attacks that you are still in control and the anxiety will pass as all things do.  Haven't experienced one in probably 20 years and they went away quickly once I kept those things in mind as they were coming on.

I did experience some heightened anxiety getting in an MRI machine once at some point over the past 20 years.  My mom is somewhat claustrophobic and I definitely got a taste of that I guess.  I've had a few MRIs for various reasons and the anxiety only came that one time, but I just kept those two things in mind and it passed quickly.

Erie to say the least......

New sonar images reveal Baltimore bridge's sunken remains
US Army Corps of Engineers releases photos of Francis Scott Key Bridge wreckage

New sonar images released by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have captured the sunken remains of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-sonar-ima...en-remains
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

https://youtu.be/i0usqiAQITo?si=ydqGOO1AqCleTvkG

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

FBI opens criminal probe into Baltimore bridge collapse: source
FBI investigation into Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse reportedly centers on crew of container ship Dali

The FBI has opened a criminal investigation into the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore, a federal source confirmed to Fox News.

The probe, first reported by the Washington Post, centers on the 985-foot container ship, the Dali, looking at any violations of federal maritime law, with a focus on whether ship personnel may have been aware of any onboard technical or operational issues before the ship left the Port of Baltimore, according the source with knowledge of the ongoing investigation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-opens-cri...-ap-source

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse: Cargo ship that caused disaster had 2 power failures before departure
It is still unclear what role these earlier technical malfunctions may have played in the vessel’s loss of power before it hit the bridge

A crewmember’s mistake caused a Singapore-flagged cargo ship to blackout a day before it crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in late March, causing it to collapse, according to a preliminary report from federal investigators.

The report, from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), determined that a crewmember of the Dali was responsible for accidentally disabling the vessel’s equipment during in-port maintenance while moored at the Seagirt Marine Terminal in Baltimore on March 25. Crewmembers experienced a second blackout due to insufficient fuel pressure for the online generator.

It is still unclear what role these earlier technical malfunctions may have played in the vessel’s loss of power before it hit the bridge.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore-key...-departure