Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
IDL Prospects

Not sure if the Jags brass see a rotational player able to play the nose or 3T as a priority as many of us fans do, but I'm not seeing many strongly hyped NT type prospects in this draft class. 

Lots of sub 300 pounders that would need to grow into the role. 

I doubt we have a shot at Murphy, Sweat is overweight, Kris Jenkins is much more a 3T than nose, McKinnley Jackson seems like a big gamble to be able to rotate at NT effectively. Mason Smith seems like a developmental gamble. 

Are there any NT types I'm missing projected in rounds 1-4? 

Do the Jags new defensive staff just make due with a rotating cast of 290-somethings and give up on that prototypical double-team-eating NT for 2024? 
Maybe they feel confident Hamilton will be up to playing lots of snaps effectively this year? Seems like they'd still want another phone booth to rotate with him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope we can somehow land Braden Fiske in the second round.  I just love his motor.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024NT.php

Jordan Jefferson or Dwayne Carter could be potentially grabs in the 3rd

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2024, 08:01 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Traditional, whopper's at NT are not as coveted anymore. The one name that comes to mind though is Jordyn Slaughter out of Illinois.

A player in which we have visited with. Some teams think he is big enough and athletic enough as a late day three gamble to play at NT or even OG on offense. So, there's that for what it's worth.

Khristian Boyd out of Northern Iowa is worth a look. Strong as [BLEEP]. Not an out of shape 320+ at 6'2. Hit 225 38 times. Here's an article on him if you're interested.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...rn-iowa-dl
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-01-2024, 06:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I hope we can somehow land Braden Fiske in the second round.  I just love his motor.

I think the fact that he performed so well at the combine, makes it very unlikely that he lasts that long.  There are still plenty of GMs that still love the 'workout warriors,' that Jags fan should well know (Walker over Hutchinson.)

(04-02-2024, 10:47 AM)cland Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 06:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I hope we can somehow land Braden Fiske in the second round.  I just love his motor.

I think the fact that he performed so well at the combine, makes it very unlikely that he lasts that long.  There are still plenty of GMs that still love the 'workout warriors,' that Jags fan should well know (Walker over Hutchinson.)

Fiske's draft profiles everywhere reference the motor displayed in his game tape.
GM's that value that highly will be the guys ranking him highly on their boards. 
That trait alone will move him up boards as much as (more than) workout numbers. 

And actually - more and more GMs every year admit to using the combine for medical information primarily and not placing any real emphasis on the drills over tape. 

Walker over Hutch was about a potential greater upside. Not about a workout. 
Second half of 2023 shows him trending in that direction. Right on pace with what many draftniks predicted for him 2 years ago.

(04-02-2024, 10:47 AM)cland Wrote:

I have zero problem with Walker over Hutchinson.  I am not saying Hutchinson is bad, but damn that guy seems to get an awful lot of free paths to the QB.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2024, 01:38 PM by Jag149.)

(04-02-2024, 11:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 10:47 AM)cland Wrote: I think the fact that he performed so well at the combine, makes it very unlikely that he lasts that long.  There are still plenty of GMs that still love the 'workout warriors,' that Jags fan should well know (Walker over Hutchinson.)

Fiske's draft profiles everywhere reference the motor displayed in his game tape.
GM's that value that highly will be the guys ranking him highly on their boards. 
That trait alone will move him up boards as much as (more than) workout numbers. 

And actually - more and more GMs every year admit to using the combine for medical information primarily and not placing any real emphasis on the drills over tape. 

Walker over Hutch was about a potential greater upside. Not about a workout. 
Second half of 2023 shows him trending in that direction. Right on pace with what many draftniks predicted for him 2 years ago.

The Jags are one of them. Last year Doug was asked about a player's 40 time. He replied it was nice but they verify this kind of thing using tape.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-02-2024, 01:28 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 10:47 AM)cland Wrote: I think the fact that he performed so well at the combine, makes it very unlikely that he lasts that long.  There are still plenty of GMs that still love the 'workout warriors,' that Jags fan should well know (Walker over Hutchinson.)

I have zero problem with Walker over Hutchinson.  I am not saying Hutchinson is bad, but damn that guy seems to get an awful lot of free paths to the QB.

Agreed, but fans around the league only see Hutch and the media fawning all over him when they're on prime time which happened 5 times last season excluding the playoffs.  They also mic'd up his mom that one game.  She's hot don't get me wrong.  It just exacerbates the perception that taking Walker first was a mistake to those not paying close attention.

I know Byron Murphy doesn't fit the NFL prototype Baalke prefers - but if he falls to #17 and the better WR, CB and OTs are gone... do you add him?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/byron-murp...e20cb9aefc

(04-12-2024, 02:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I know Byron Murphy doesn't fit the NFL prototype Baalke prefers - but if he falls to #17 and the better WR, CB and OTs are gone... do you add him?

I would say 91% chance Murphy makes it to 17.

The run on QBs is gonna push a lot of really good players way deeper then they deserve to be. if he's there at 17, I'm listening to offers to move, or considering who else is left on the board. It would be hard to pass up a great OT or reject a trade that added another second (or maybe a 2025 1?) to take him at 17.

If they pulled the trigger, though, I won't be too upset. If he's a monster, he will make the pass rush and coverage teams all that much better.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2024, 03:35 PM by ClemsonOrangeJaguar.)

(04-12-2024, 02:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I know Byron Murphy doesn't fit the NFL prototype Baalke prefers - but if he falls to #17 and the better WR, CB and OTs are gone... do you add him?

Murphy may well end up a stud but I'm not sold on him being a 1st rounder which should mean All Pro upside. His measurables and stats/production is just not elite. It's a weak DL class and his stock is absurdly high as a result IMO where in most cycles he's a second rounder/very late 1st

Would be a bad pick over a OL/WR or even a top CB

I'd rather Johnny Newton if we go DT in the first

I wouldn't be mad at it.

Kris Jenkins is one of the most underrated players in this draft imo. I also think he has the potential to be the best DT in this class. He's already an elite run defender which is first and foremost the most important thing for a DT. He also has the ability to be a very good interior pass rusher. He's a very good athlete, has the length, championship pedigree, and the blood line. If he's there at 48 I think he will be a steal. He a 1st round talent imo

(04-12-2024, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I'd rather Johnny Newton if we go DT in the first

It's interesting that Newton seems to be sliding down internet mock drafts/generators...seemingly without a reason.  He's an inch taller, and 13 lbs lighter than Byron.

(04-13-2024, 10:28 AM)cland Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd rather Johnny Newton if we go DT in the first

It's interesting that Newton seems to be sliding down internet mock drafts/generators...seemingly without a reason.  He's an inch taller, and 13 lbs lighter than Byron.

The reason is because he is coming off an injury and hasn't been able to test.  He's an 1.5" taller and 7 pounds heavier than Murphy.  I think Newton will put on a little weight but Murphy said he wants to be around 300 and he's a little under right now.

(04-13-2024, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 10:28 AM)cland Wrote: It's interesting that Newton seems to be sliding down internet mock drafts/generators...seemingly without a reason.  He's an inch taller, and 13 lbs lighter than Byron.

The reason is because he is coming off an injury and hasn't been able to test.  He's an 1.5" taller and 7 pounds heavier than Murphy.  I think Newton will put on a little weight but Murphy said he wants to be around 300 and he's a little under right now.

Ahh, thank you.  Found this on X: https://twitter.com/jacobinfante24/statu...1427652846

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 10:35 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-14-2024, 10:30 AM)cland Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The reason is because he is coming off an injury and hasn't been able to test.  He's an 1.5" taller and 7 pounds heavier than Murphy.  I think Newton will put on a little weight but Murphy said he wants to be around 300 and he's a little under right now.

Ahh, thank you.  Found this on X: https://twitter.com/jacobinfante24/statu...1427652846

Yeah, he hasnt had a private workout yet with teams.  Im hoping he does one this week like DeJean did. Hes a top 20 player for me as well, maybe even top 10 .

(04-12-2024, 03:34 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote:

Murphy may well end up a stud but I'm not sold on him being a 1st rounder which should mean All Pro upside. His measurables and stats/production is just not elite. It's a weak DL class and his stock is absurdly high as a result IMO where in most cycles he's a second rounder/very late 1st

Would be a bad pick over a OL/WR or even a top CB

??

It is quite deep for interior linemen. DE/OLB is slim pickens for sure, but this is the first time I've heard anyone say DL is a weakness in this cycle.