Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2nd Tier Corners

Taking a look at PFF's Big Board, the following are between the Jags' picks at 48 and 114.

46 - Ennis Rakestraw, Jr.
51 - T.J. Tampa
56 - Kamari Lassiter
64 - Andru Phillips
72 - Max Melton
87 - Kyree Jackson
89 - Renardo Green
110 - Caelen Carson
113 - Jarrian Jones

The goal of this exercise is to examine the second tier of CBs in this draft and choose which one you would take on Day 2 or 3 provided they don't take a guy at 17. Most of these can be a reasonable selection, I'm interested to hear persuasive cases on why one of them would be the best for this team.

My guy is T.J. Tampa at #48. If he's there then he's the outside man cover guy we need for the coming season. A big specimen at 6'2" and about 200 lbs, he's got long arms and good hips for a taller guy. He can turn and run well, a little struggle with quick change of direction guys because of his height. Physical tackler who plays the ball in the air much better than Tyson Campbell. Had 2 picks and only gave up 1 TD last year, he was around 50% completion when thrown against. I think he's a great value in the second round for a guy who really fits the new system.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ennis is a great cover guy. Rarely targeted and not afraid to stick his nose in and tackle. He did have the injury bug and was in and out of the lineup a lot. People question his speed but he's definitely sticky.

T.J Tampa on Friday night & Khyree Jackson for sure if he's there at 96 as well. Tampa and Jackson for their size, they're ideal for outside coverage and man-to-man.

Max Melton would be a decent consolation prize if you missed out on Quinyon Mitchell on the opening night this week. Melton may already be on this team's radar. Considering they drafted his teammate last year in Braswell. Melton is a better overall prospect.

Has some character concerns from 2021 though. Hopefully he's grown up a little bit from that. Lassiter is coming in underneath the radar a little bit for me. Would still prefer the longer corners on the outside though based on the current depth.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-22-2024, 03:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taking a look at PFF's Big Board, the following are between the Jags' picks at 48 and 114.

51 - T.J. Tampa
56 - Kamari Lassiter
64 - Andru Phillips
72 - Max Melton
87 - Kyree Jackson
89 - Renardo Green
110 - Caelen Carson
113 - Jarrian Jones

The goal of this exercise is to examine the second tier of CBs in this draft and choose which one you would take on Day 2 or 3 provided they don't take a guy at 17. Most of these can be a reasonable selection, I'm interested to hear persuasive cases on why one of them would be the best for this team.

My guy is T.J. Tampa at #48. If he's there then he's the outside man cover guy we need for the coming season. A big specimen at 6'2" and about 200 lbs, he's got long arms and good hips for a taller guy. He can turn and run well, a little struggle with quick change of direction guys because of his height. Physical tackler who plays the ball in the air much better than Tyson Campbell. Had 2 picks and only gave up 1 TD last year, he was around 50% completion when thrown against. I think he's a great value in the second round for a guy who really fits the new system.

This is an interesting question. The depth at cornerback appears to be great. In addition to the 9 players you mentioned, there are several others who should be drafted at the end of day 2 or early day 3. Abrams-Draine, K. King, Newton and Jarvis Brownlee are 4 other good prospects who fall into that group.

Personally, I would like Rakestraw or Tampa in round 2. They seem like good fits for the aggressive style Nielsen likes. Max Melton might also be a round 2 prospect due to his speed and athleticism. As far as the others, they all have some desirable qualities for a corner yet will need further development. My guess is that at least two of the guys on your list become above average starters in the NFL; we just have to hope that Baalke picks the right one.

Due to the depth at corner, a definite case could be made to take an offensive or defensive lineman or even a receiver (Thomas). My hope is that they get an offer to trade back (no more than 8 spots) to get another 2nd rounder. They could then address 3 areas of need by the end of round 2.

I'm seeing Melton hit the first round a little more often. When you see that this close to the draft it often happens. Then people label them reaches.

I like Khyree a lot in late 3/4 range. Would like him on top of Arnold or Dejean. I've come around on that.

I'd like Arnold or Dejean at 17 or slight trade back. Legette at 48. Would also take Okuroko or Jenkins there. Then Bortolini or McCormack at 96 and then ideally Javon Baker and Khyree at 116&118

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2024, 05:31 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I just cant see any being the top guy at 48. But Max Melton and both FSU corners. I'd add Sainristil as well

(04-22-2024, 05:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I just cant see any being the top guy at 48.    But Max Melton and both FSU corners.  I'd add Sainristil as well

So just half of those listed. Got it.

And the question wasn't just the second round, it was any of their picks through 114. No opinion on the 3rd round selection?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-22-2024, 07:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 05:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I just cant see any being the top guy at 48.    But Max Melton and both FSU corners.  I'd add Sainristil as well

So just half of those listed. Got it.

And the question wasn't just the second round, it was any of their picks through 114. No opinion on the 3rd round selection?

I think Melton goes in the 2nd but either of the FSU corners.  I think one could possibly be there in the 3rd.  I like both because they have a lot of experience in man and both were very good in man D.  Green's better on the outside but Jones can be very good in the slot for us and possibly move outside in the future.  Jones is also one of the most athletic corners with a 9.87 ras.  McGlothern is a guy I have mentioned multiple times on here and a sleeper for me in the mid to late rounds.

Here is a good article pff put out on what corners graded the highest in each category

2024 NFL Draft: Highest graded cornerbacks in every category | NFL Draft | PFF

Missed tackles by corner prospects

Cooper DeJean: 5
Quinyon Mitchell: 3
Terrion Arnold: 8
Nate Wiggins: 4
Kool-Aid McKinstry: 3
Mike Sainrastill: 7
Ennis Rakestraw: 3
TJ Tampa: 10
Kamari Lassiter: 4
Andru Phillips: 15
Max Melton: 12
Khyree Jackson: 2

https://twitter.com/BRlANBRANCH/status/1...0086109215

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 01:19 AM by jessepeck1213.)

Khyree Jackson is my guy out of that group.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 07:54 AM by Mikey.)

(04-22-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 03:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taking a look at PFF's Big Board, the following are between the Jags' picks at 48 and 114.

51 - T.J. Tampa
56 - Kamari Lassiter
64 - Andru Phillips
72 - Max Melton
87 - Kyree Jackson
89 - Renardo Green
110 - Caelen Carson
113 - Jarrian Jones

This is an interesting question. The depth at cornerback appears to be great. In addition to the 9 players you mentioned, there are several others who should be drafted at the end of day 2 or early day 3. Abrams-Draine, K. King, Newton and Jarvis Brownlee are 4 other good prospects who fall into that group.

Personally, I would like Rakestraw or Tampa in round 2. They seem like good fits for the aggressive style Nielsen likes. Max Melton might also be a round 2 prospect due to his speed and athleticism. As far as the others, they all have some desirable qualities for a corner yet will need further development. My guess is that at least two of the guys on your list become above average starters in the NFL; we just have to hope that Baalke picks the right one.

Due to the depth at corner, a definite case could be made to take an offensive or defensive lineman or even a receiver (Thomas). My hope is that they get an offer to trade back (no more than 8 spots) to get another 2nd rounder. They could then address 3 areas of need by the end of round 2.

Was just going to mention Kalen King. I agree with OP that Tampa is the dude for the second round, but if we stick to getting big guys early, there's plenty of CB in this darft to fill out the roster.

(04-22-2024, 11:49 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Missed tackles by corner prospects

stat doesn't tell me much, though. Who was on a good D, who didn't let RB get to the second level? How many tackles did they attempt?

Or better yet, how many times did they not even attempt the tackle?

(04-23-2024, 01:18 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Khyree Jackson is my guy out of that group.

His build scares me, ngl. If he could put some bulk on without sacrificing speed or agility, I'd be down.

(04-23-2024, 01:18 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Khyree Jackson is my guy out of that group.

I really like Jackson too, the only thing with him is his age.  If I feel he is good enough I  wouldn't let it stop me though.  He will be 25 in August

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 01:34 PM by ClemsonOrangeJaguar. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-23-2024, 07:49 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 04:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is an interesting question. The depth at cornerback appears to be great. In addition to the 9 players you mentioned, there are several others who should be drafted at the end of day 2 or early day 3. Abrams-Draine, K. King, Newton and Jarvis Brownlee are 4 other good prospects who fall into that group.

Was just going to mention Kalen King. I agree with OP that Tampa is the dude for the second round, but if we stick to getting big guys early, there's plenty of CB in this darft to fill out the roster.

(04-22-2024, 11:49 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: Missed tackles by corner prospects

stat doesn't tell me much, though. Who was on a good D, who didn't let RB get to the second level? How many tackles did they attempt?

Or better yet, how many times did they not even attempt the tackle?

I think it tells something when combined with YAC yardage. I would be curious how many of the missed tackles are in coverage after the WR caught the ball vs when its in the run game. 

I agree not a perfect stat. Next to the players I added points allowed per game ranking. Another poster linked HLs to Jackson and I'm impressed - confirmation bias data here. Also confirmation bias the narrative that Wiggins is a liability as a tackler doesn't match reality. He's not Champ Bailey but people act like he can't tackle at all or doesn't play physical due to his weight. That's false as I've been saying. If you're completely terrible as a tackler you're not by far 1st in YAC allowed and less missed tackles than Arnold/DeJean with the NFL WRs/RBs he faced

Cooper DeJean: 5 - Iowa (4th)
Quinyon Mitchell: 3 - Toledo (27th) 
Terrion Arnold: 8 - Alabama (16th)
Nate Wiggins: 4  - Clemson (24th) 
Kool-Aid McKinstry: 3 - Alabama (16th)

Mike Sainrastill: 7 - Michigan (1st) 
Ennis Rakestraw: 3 - Missouri (28th) 
TJ Tampa: 10 - Iowa State (45th)
Kamari Lassiter: 4 - UGA (7th)
Andru Phillips: 15 - Kentucky (60th)
Max Melton: 12 Maryland (42nd)
Khyree Jackson: 2 - Oregon (10th)

Khyree Jackson at 48. ?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-26-2024, 05:12 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Khyree Jackson at 48. ?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

He's definitely a possibility due to his size and style of play. His age (will be 25 in August) is a liability and his aggressive style and lack of elite speed (4.5 forty) can lead to receivers in the NFL beating him deep too often. I could still see him as a possibility, but I prefer other available corners such as Rakestraw, McKinstry, DeJean and Tampa. 

I definitely feel this is the biggest need right now, but if JPJ or Newton were available I'd have to definitely take them. Too much value to pass on.

This thread is starting to feel like it'll be worth pinning today/tomorrow

Same here, I think he will fit in very well in Nielson's scheme and allow Darby/Savage to play the slot.

I like Ennis Rakestraw out of the remaining. Great press corner who can track the ball well. Will he drop enough for a possible trade up? Not likely. But, you never know.

(04-26-2024, 05:29 PM)Jagulars Wrote: I like Ennis Rakestraw out of the remaining. Great press corner who can track the ball well. Will he drop enough for a possible trade up? Not likely. But, you never know.

I think he'll be there at 48