Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2nd Tier D-linemen

Following up on yesterday's CB thread, this one is the same idea but with defensive linemen, both Edge (E) and Interior (I). According to PFF's Big Board, the following linemen rank around the Jags' picks at 48 through 114. Which one and in what round makes sense for this team?

38 - Adisa Isaac, E
40 - Chop Robinson, E
44 - Braden Fiske, I
50 - Kris Jenkins, I
55 - Jonah Elliss, E
58 - Chris Braswell, E
61 - Darius Robinson, E
63 - Marshawn Kneeland, E
65 - Brandon Dorlus, I
67 - Ruke Orhorhoro, I
83 - Xavier Thomas, E
86 - Jalyx Hunt, E
88 - Austin Booker, E
91 - Javon Solomon, E
98 - Bralon Trice, E
107 - Michael Hall, Jr., I
115 - Brennan Jackson, E
122 - T'Vondre Sweat, I
131 - Mekhi Wingo, I

The exercise is to choose one of these with the pick around where they are ranked and make the case for why that's the 1 guy this team should take.

My pick from this group is T'Vondre Sweat at 96 in the 3rd round. He's fallen a bit because of a recent misdemeanor DWI issue but that likely will be resolved before the summer. In his college career he earned Big 12 DPOY and the Outland Trophy in 2023 as the best interior lineman in college football. Physically he's a mountain of a man at almost 6'5" and 366 lbs. On the field he logged 25 tackles. 13 assists, 23 hurries, and a couple of sacks for the Texas defense. He translates to a 0 Tech Nose Tackle in the NFL because he ain't fast, but you can't get around him either. I think he's the prototype of what this team lacks on the defensive line and plugging him in will immediately stop them from being gashed by the run. He's likely there in the 3rd but might still be there Saturday at 114.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 02:14 PM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

I think Sweat should honestly fall outside of the top 100. Just given his recent stunt off the field, his weight issues, etc. Would consider him at 114 or 116.

Would be happy with Darius Robinson, Ruke Orhohoro, Kris Jenkins and Braden Fiske though. Those would be guys you have to take in RD2. If I could have one Interior Lineman and one EDGE from this year's draft from this range in particular?

I would want Darius Robinson for his versatility and ability off the edge and I would want Kris Jenkins for his relentlessness and bloodlines.

Good run defender. Good high effort, hustles to the QB in the pass rushing department. Would be a guy I could see flourishing very early sandwiched in between Walker, Allen and Armstead this year.

Darius Robinson would be somebody I would target in a trade down scenario. I keep going back to my trade predictions in the other thread. Pulling off something with Arizona to swap 17 & 96 for 27 & 35 would be ideal in this draft.

Land Robinson at 27.
Land Jenkins at 35.
Land a quality Guard/Center or Tackle/Guard prospect there at 48. Maybe a receiver if Franklin or Pearsall are there.

Then you could consider combining picks 114 and 116 to easily get back inside the top 100 to land another quality player along the offensive line, maybe a receiver that shouldn't still be on the board, or, maybe a CB that everyone keeps saying we need.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-23-2024, 01:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Following up on yesterday's CB thread, this one is the same idea but with defensive linemen, both Edge (E) and Interior (I). According to PFF's Big Board, the following linemen rank around the Jags' picks at 48 through 114. Which one and in what round makes sense for this team?

38 - Adisa Isaac, E
40 - Chop Robinson, E
44 - Braden Fiske, I
50 - Kris Jenkins, I
55 - Jonah Elliss, E
58 - Chris Braswell, E
61 - Darius Robinson, E
65 - Brandon Dorlus, I
67 - Ruke Orhorhoro, I
83 - Xavier Thomas, E
86 - Jalyx Hunt, E
88 - Austin Booker, E
91 - Javon Solomon, E
98 - Bralon Trice, E
115 - Brennan Jackson, E
122 - T'Vondre Sweat, I
131 - Mekhi Wingo, I

The exercise is to choose one of these with the pick around where they are ranked and make the case for why that's the 1 guy this team should take.

My pick from this group is T'Vondre Sweat at 96 in the 3rd round. He's fallen a bit because of a recent misdemeanor DWI issue but that likely will be resolved before the summer. In his college career he earned Big 12 DPOY and the Outland Trophy in 2023 as the best interior lineman in college football. Physically he's a mountain of a man at almost 6'5" and 366 lbs. On the field he logged 25 tackles. 13 assists, 23 hurries, and a couple of sacks for the Texas defense. He translates to a 0 Tech Nose Tackle in the NFL because he ain't fast, but you can't get around him either. I think he's the prototype of what this team lacks on the defensive line and plugging him in will immediately stop them from being gashed by the run. He's likely there in the 3rd but might still be there Saturday at 114.

I'd have to go with Darious Robinson. He is very capable of playing DE or DT. Not only is he a very good player, but I believe Baalke would like to add him to the team due to his versatility. I don't believe he'll be available at 48, so they'd  likely have to move up a little by throwing in one of their 4th round picks.

Prior to his DWI incident, Sweat would have also been my choice for the reasons you gave. This incident pushed him back to the 4th round for me. His inability or plain stupidity to refrain from drinking and driving prior to the biggest day of his life does not give me confidence that he stay in playing shape once he signs his contract. I'd rather take an interior offensive lineman at the end of round 3 who could eventually become a starter replacing Scherff.

(04-23-2024, 02:26 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 01:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Following up on yesterday's CB thread, this one is the same idea but with defensive linemen, both Edge (E) and Interior (I). According to PFF's Big Board, the following linemen rank around the Jags' picks at 48 through 114. Which one and in what round makes sense for this team?

38 - Adisa Isaac, E
40 - Chop Robinson, E
44 - Braden Fiske, I
50 - Kris Jenkins, I
55 - Jonah Elliss, E
58 - Chris Braswell, E
61 - Darius Robinson, E
65 - Brandon Dorlus, I
67 - Ruke Orhorhoro, I
83 - Xavier Thomas, E
86 - Jalyx Hunt, E
88 - Austin Booker, E
91 - Javon Solomon, E
98 - Bralon Trice, E
115 - Brennan Jackson, E
122 - T'Vondre Sweat, I
131 - Mekhi Wingo, I

I'd have to go with Darious Robinson. He is very capable of playing DE or DT. Not only is he a very good player, but I believe Baalke would like to add him to the team due to his versatility. I don't believe he'll be available at 48, so they'd  likely have to move up a little by throwing in one of their 4th round picks.

Prior to his DWI incident, Sweat would have also been my choice for the reasons you gave. This incident pushed him back to the 4th round for me. His inability or plain stupidity to refrain from drinking and driving prior to the biggest day of his life does not give me confidence that he stay in playing shape once he signs his contract. I'd rather take an interior offensive lineman at the end of round 3 who could eventually become a starter replacing Scherff.

I don't really see anything there too terrible. The guy got hit by another driver who fled the scene and subsequently failed the field test. He's got no history of being a partier like a certain receiver we once drafted long ago. That doesn't eliminate him as a selection at 96 if you'd still take him at 114 IMO.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

38 - Adisa Isaac, E
40 - Chop Robinson, E
44 - Braden Fiske, I
50 - Kris Jenkins, I
55 - Jonah Elliss, E
58 - Chris Braswell, E
61 - Darius Robinson, E
65 - Brandon Dorlus, I
67 - Ruke Orhorhoro, I
83 - Xavier Thomas, E
86 - Jalyx Hunt, E
88 - Austin Booker, E
91 - Javon Solomon, E
98 - Bralon Trice, E
115 - Brennan Jackson, E
122 - T'Vondre Sweat, I
131 - Mekhi Wingo, I

I'mma cheat and say McKinnley Jackson (I) is my target in the fourth. If Sweat lasts till the fourth he's a run to the podium type of selection. It's not a negative on any of the guys before these, but when you see Sweat and Jackson available later in the draft, it makes it easier to pass the other guys and address other positional needs with similar grading or value.

E is almost off my board, but Booker is the kind of guy I think would fit well - reserve depth that isn't going to be obligated to playing time based on draft capital, but someone with enough talent that you don't fall completely off a cliff performance wise when he's on the field instead of the starter. He's usually on the board at 96 in the sims I run, and that seems where he would fit logically.

(04-23-2024, 03:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 02:26 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd have to go with Darious Robinson. He is very capable of playing DE or DT. Not only is he a very good player, but I believe Baalke would like to add him to the team due to his versatility. I don't believe he'll be available at 48, so they'd  likely have to move up a little by throwing in one of their 4th round picks.

I don't really see anything there too terrible. The guy got hit by another driver who fled the scene and subsequently failed the field test. He's got no history of being a partier like a certain receiver we once drafted long ago. That doesn't eliminate him as a selection at 96 if you'd still take him at 114 IMO.

Are you referring to Justin Blackmon, R.J. Soward or Matt Jones? All 3 of these turned out to be bad picks. I disagree with you regarding Sweat. Drinking and driving just prior to the draft is bad on a number of levels. Your point about me taking him at 114 is a good one, however. He will likely be off the Draft Boards of many teams due to the combination of this incident and his "reportedly" being very immature. My decision to take him at 114 was pretty random, but there is the possibility that he matures and eventually becomes one of the top nose tackles in the NFL.

(04-24-2024, 09:54 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 03:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't really see anything there too terrible. The guy got hit by another driver who fled the scene and subsequently failed the field test. He's got no history of being a partier like a certain receiver we once drafted long ago. That doesn't eliminate him as a selection at 96 if you'd still take him at 114 IMO.

Are you referring to Justin Blackmon, R.J. Soward or Matt Jones? All 3 of these turned out to be bad picks. I disagree with you regarding Sweat. Drinking and driving just prior to the draft is bad on a number of levels. Your point about me taking him at 114 is a good one, however. He will likely be off the Draft Boards of many teams due to the combination of this incident and his "reportedly" being very immature. My decision to take him at 114 was pretty random, but there is the possibility that he matures and eventually becomes one of the top nose tackles in the NFL.

Yes, we're talking about investing in a 3rd round DT not a 1st round WR. Warren Sapp was passed over for off the field stuff and look how that turned out. I think the risk/reward for Sweat is MUCH lower than any of those cases.

(04-24-2024, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 09:54 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Are you referring to Justin Blackmon, R.J. Soward or Matt Jones? All 3 of these turned out to be bad picks. I disagree with you regarding Sweat. Drinking and driving just prior to the draft is bad on a number of levels. Your point about me taking him at 114 is a good one, however. He will likely be off the Draft Boards of many teams due to the combination of this incident and his "reportedly" being very immature. My decision to take him at 114 was pretty random, but there is the possibility that he matures and eventually becomes one of the top nose tackles in the NFL.

Yes, we're talking about investing in a 3rd round DT not a 1st round WR. Warren Sapp was passed over for off the field stuff and look how that turned out. I think the risk/reward for Sweat is MUCH lower than any of those cases.

We agree about this. The risk/reward for taking Sweat in round 3 is not even close to the 3 receivers taken in round 1. I must confess that if the Jaguars did take him at 96, I'd likely be excited due to his rare physical traits and what he could do for the defense if he stayed in shape. As a G.M., however, I'd still prefer one of the interior offensive linemen who might be on the board at that spot ( Mahogany, Zinter, Bortolini, McCormick ). These players could all become solid starters on the offensive line following a season of development. Sweat would likely provide frequent disappointment due to his unreached potential, but I'd be willing to risk a 4th rounder on this. It all comes down to differences of opinion and we'll likely know the answer after he has been in the league for a couple of seasons.

(04-24-2024, 10:38 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, we're talking about investing in a 3rd round DT not a 1st round WR. Warren Sapp was passed over for off the field stuff and look how that turned out. I think the risk/reward for Sweat is MUCH lower than any of those cases.

We agree about this. The risk/reward for taking Sweat in round 3 is not even close to the 3 receivers taken in round 1. I must confess that if the Jaguars did take him at 96, I'd likely be excited due to his rare physical traits and what he could do for the defense if he stayed in shape. As a G.M., however, I'd still prefer one of the interior offensive linemen who might be on the board at that spot ( Mahogany, Zinter, Bortolini, McCormick ). These players could all become solid starters on the offensive line following a season of development. Sweat would likely provide frequent disappointment due to his unreached potential, but I'd be willing to risk a 4th rounder on this. It all comes down to differences of opinion and we'll likely know the answer after he has been in the league for a couple of seasons.

That's the impetus for these threads about mid-round guys, we are talking about lower investment that might result in some risk taking for what could be home run players. I think it adds to the usual 1st round discussions that we're all about done with at this point.

(04-24-2024, 10:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 10:38 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: We agree about this. The risk/reward for taking Sweat in round 3 is not even close to the 3 receivers taken in round 1. I must confess that if the Jaguars did take him at 96, I'd likely be excited due to his rare physical traits and what he could do for the defense if he stayed in shape. As a G.M., however, I'd still prefer one of the interior offensive linemen who might be on the board at that spot ( Mahogany, Zinter, Bortolini, McCormick ). These players could all become solid starters on the offensive line following a season of development. Sweat would likely provide frequent disappointment due to his unreached potential, but I'd be willing to risk a 4th rounder on this. It all comes down to differences of opinion and we'll likely know the answer after he has been in the league for a couple of seasons.

That's the impetus for these threads about mid-round guys, we are talking about lower investment that might result in some risk taking for what could be home run players. I think it adds to the usual 1st round discussions that we're all about done with at this point.
Yea, there's not much left to cover about round 1 prospects. I do believe someone will take Sweat in the 3rd round due to your reasoning.

(04-24-2024, 10:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 10:38 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: We agree about this. The risk/reward for taking Sweat in round 3 is not even close to the 3 receivers taken in round 1. I must confess that if the Jaguars did take him at 96, I'd likely be excited due to his rare physical traits and what he could do for the defense if he stayed in shape. As a G.M., however, I'd still prefer one of the interior offensive linemen who might be on the board at that spot ( Mahogany, Zinter, Bortolini, McCormick ). These players could all become solid starters on the offensive line following a season of development. Sweat would likely provide frequent disappointment due to his unreached potential, but I'd be willing to risk a 4th rounder on this. It all comes down to differences of opinion and we'll likely know the answer after he has been in the league for a couple of seasons.

1st and 2nd rounders should be hits for your team 75% of the time or better.  The 3rd round is where things start to get dicey and where taking risks on guys is ok imo.  96 being the end of the 3rd round would be a fine spot to take Sweat if he's not already gone by then which he probably will be.  I just wouldn't invest a 2nd rounder on a guy who just made a dumb [BLEEP] move in the lead up to the draft is all.  Even though it's "3rd round", pick 96 is right there up against the 4th round.  If we instead say high 4th rounder no one would blink an eye which would only be a few picks away from 96.  The talent level doesn't tier with the round number.  

Sweat by all accounts talent wise should be considered to be selected in the high 2nd round if not for this incident which is somewhat forgivable for a young 20 something who was weeks away from signing a multimillion dollar signing bonus while making millions per year in salary.  If he falls to the 3rd or later he will have cost himself millions of dollars.  That will sting and is a teaching moment he hopefully learns a valuable lesson from.  Pick 96 has a projected contract of $5.5M over 4 years with $881k as signing bonus.  Pick 48 is projected to be $7.9M over 4 years with $2.58M as signing bonus.  He's the 30th highest rated prospect on NFL.com.  Pick 30 is projected at $12.6M over 4 years (+5th year option) with almost $6M as signing bonus.  If he goes at pick 96 to us, I'd bet the lesson will have been learned.

Kris Jenkins. The first thing a DT has to be able to do is stop the run. If Hamilton doesnt come back 100% or gets injured we really have nobody in the middle of that defense that we can count on to stop the run at a high level and Jenkins is one of the best at that if not the best at stopping the run along with Sweat. We have to add a run stopper to this D on the interior. Jenkins also has high upside as a pass rusher from the inside imo, has the length, a good athlete, championship pedigree, the bloodline, etc. There is just to many reasons that I wouldnt like him at 48. The Chargers might take him in the 2nd though.

With today's news, would you send our 2 or 3 for Trey Hendrickson?

I've watched a short doco on chop and got alot of respect for him as a individual

Definetly has leadership qualities

(04-24-2024, 06:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: With today's news, would you send our 2 or 3 for Trey Hendrickson?

not at all.

next question