Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welcome Brian Thomas Jr. Jags new star receiver

(05-13-2024, 11:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 11:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Woo buddy. If he hits these numbers in year 1?! That would be nuts.

I have high expectations for him right off the bat. Especially inside the redzone. It averages out to 4 - 5 catches per game and 60 yards per game over a 17 game season. I am factoring in some high's and low's with him as a rookie. 

He'll probably be the type that goes 2 - 29, 3 - 43, 1 - 35 and 1 TD and then explodes and gets red hot in one game for 8 - 130 and 2 TD's. Which is perfectly fine, normal and par for the course for most rookie WR's that have high expectations. 

Genuinely excited about this kid though. Been on this bandwagon since November or December of last year. Should be one of the more athletically gifted receivers since we had Justin Blackmon and Matt Jones here. With him having better character than those two and more of a natural at it than Jones. 

Just watch his highlight reels. I cannot get over how good his footwork is coming out of LSU.

(05-13-2024, 10:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'll go with 60 catches for 800 yards and 9 TDs.  It will take time to adjust to the pro game, and other teams will figure him out a little since he's a rookie.  But I think the 9 TDs will be because of his speed.

I think his speed will be a factor for sure with the TD's earlier on, but, as teams catch on they'll start covering the deep portion of the field on his side which should open up the underneath game for Kirk and Co. 

I think where he's going to shine early though, is, along the boundary, working the sideline tight and using his feet and size to box defenders out of his catching radius. He really has a good understanding of his footwork and his ability to actually track the football is underrated to his game.
Oh you know me. I've been team receiver for a very very long time. Love the selection of BTJ and think the Jags hit a home run.

Those numbers are better than Ridley last year though and that would be an amazing year. Hope it happens!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-13-2024, 12:05 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 11:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I have high expectations for him right off the bat. Especially inside the redzone. It averages out to 4 - 5 catches per game and 60 yards per game over a 17 game season. I am factoring in some high's and low's with him as a rookie. 

He'll probably be the type that goes 2 - 29, 3 - 43, 1 - 35 and 1 TD and then explodes and gets red hot in one game for 8 - 130 and 2 TD's. Which is perfectly fine, normal and par for the course for most rookie WR's that have high expectations. 

Genuinely excited about this kid though. Been on this bandwagon since November or December of last year. Should be one of the more athletically gifted receivers since we had Justin Blackmon and Matt Jones here. With him having better character than those two and more of a natural at it than Jones. 

Just watch his highlight reels. I cannot get over how good his footwork is coming out of LSU.

I think his speed will be a factor for sure with the TD's earlier on, but, as teams catch on they'll start covering the deep portion of the field on his side which should open up the underneath game for Kirk and Co. 

I think where he's going to shine early though, is, along the boundary, working the sideline tight and using his feet and size to box defenders out of his catching radius. He really has a good understanding of his footwork and his ability to actually track the football is underrated to his game.

I always think that red-zone WRs have to have not only height, but strength and a large catch radius to out duel opposing coverage.  How do your rate his ability there?

Highly. He tends to separate with relative ease at the top of his routes on longer developing routes, but, in these highlights below you'll see what I like about him. He'll box out, go up and get it within contested traffic as well once the field begins to shorten towards the endzone. 

He nabbed 17 TD's last year and more than half of them were what I would consider NFL caliber worthy grabs. Meaning, he tracks the ball, wins in tight coverage, maintains balance, and, most importantly, keeps two feet in or toes in. 

LSU WR Brian Thomas Jr. 2023 Highlights ? ᴴᴰ (youtube.com)
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Trevor has really missed having a receiver of this type. He was great in college getting the ball out to bigger receivers.

(05-13-2024, 01:44 PM)Newton Wrote: I think Trevor has really missed having a receiver of this type. He was great in college getting the ball out to bigger receivers.

Yep. Should be a really fun year for this offense. Hopefully Morse was the missing link to the offensive line woes and Cleveland is more comfortable after a year to where he can settle in at left guard. 

Thomas has really, really good straight line speed and the ability to get behind a secondary. The goal for him this summer should be getting stronger in an NFL weight room and working on beating press coverages more consistently. 

Any defense we play this year that primarily uses zone though? I like his chances to hurt secondaries. Lawrence will not hesitate throwing 50/50 balls to this guy though. Hopefully early and often. Strike points or at least keeps a defense honest and for them to back off a bit so everything else opens up underneath.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-13-2024, 02:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 01:44 PM)Newton Wrote: I think Trevor has really missed having a receiver of this type. He was great in college getting the ball out to bigger receivers.

Yep. Should be a really fun year for this offense. Hopefully Morse was the missing link to the offensive line woes and Cleveland is more comfortable after a year to where he can settle in at left guard. 

Thomas has really, really good straight line speed and the ability to get behind a secondary. The goal for him this summer should be getting stronger in an NFL weight room and working on beating press coverages more consistently. 

Any defense we play this year that primarily uses zone though? I like his chances to hurt secondaries. Lawrence will not hesitate throwing 50/50 balls to this guy though. Hopefully early and often. Strike points or at least keeps a defense honest and for them to back off a bit so everything else opens up underneath.
Like the clots?!

Slightly off topic regarding BTJ but I want to get my son his jersey but I'm slightly skeptical due to his potential number change. I know he's #7 but he really wants #11.

(05-13-2024, 12:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 12:05 PM)cland Wrote: I always think that red-zone WRs have to have not only height, but strength and a large catch radius to out duel opposing coverage.  How do your rate his ability there?

Highly. He tends to separate with relative ease at the top of his routes on longer developing routes, but, in these highlights below you'll see what I like about him. He'll box out, go up and get it within contested traffic as well once the field begins to shorten towards the endzone. 

He nabbed 17 TD's last year and more than half of them were what I would consider NFL caliber worthy grabs. Meaning, he tracks the ball, wins in tight coverage, maintains balance, and, most importantly, keeps two feet in or toes in. 

It's difficult to not get very excited about Thomas' potential after watching these highlights. He's much faster than Tee Higgins and only 1 inch shorter. Can't remember a Jaguars receiver with this combination of size and speed except for possibly ex-quarterback Matt Jones. The combination of Thomas, Kirk, Davis and Engram will be tough to stop. Should also open things up for Etienne. As you said, the key to this offense jelling will be the offensive line. Best scenario is Morse plays at the same level as he did with the Bills and Chiefs. No reason they can't get at least a couple more very good years out of him. Cleveland and Scherff must prove they can remain healthy for most of the season. If they do, Lawrence should have a very big season. While the depth on the line isn't great, Little,Hodges and Foster will need to be reliable replacements in the likely case at least one starting lineman misses time due to injury.

One more note about BTJ. I was very surprised the Jaguars didn't select Mitchell at 17 or Arnold after trading back. I would have taken one of these cornerbacks if calling the shots on draft day due to the greater need at this position. In hindsight, I didn't expect so many quality receivers to be off the board before the Jaguars 2nd round pick. Knowing that now, Baalke likely made the right decision especially since Jones looks like a steal, despite the fact some pundits had him rated lower than where he was selected. Prince also has many positive traits which should enable him to make the 53 man roster and eventually compete for playing time. I look forward to seeing how these rookies look in training camp and the pre-season games.

Yep. Trevor had 3 different 6'4 WRs who started with him in college. He's learned to trust his guys to make plays and throw it up

(05-13-2024, 03:25 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 12:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Highly. He tends to separate with relative ease at the top of his routes on longer developing routes, but, in these highlights below you'll see what I like about him. He'll box out, go up and get it within contested traffic as well once the field begins to shorten towards the endzone. 

It's difficult to not get very excited about Thomas' potential after watching these highlights. He's much faster than Tee Higgins and only 1 inch shorter. Can't remember a Jaguars receiver with this combination of size and speed except for possibly ex-quarterback Matt Jones. The combination of Thomas, Kirk, Davis and Engram will be tough to stop. Should also open things up for Etienne. As you said, the key to this offense jelling will be the offensive line. Best scenario is Morse plays at the same level as he did with the Bills and Chiefs. No reason they can't get at least a couple more very good years out of him. Cleveland and Scherff must prove they can remain healthy for most of the season. If they do, Lawrence should have a very big season. While the depth on the line isn't great, Little,Hodges and Foster will need to be reliable replacements in the likely case at least one starting lineman misses time due to injury.

One more note about BTJ. I was very surprised the Jaguars didn't select Mitchell at 17 or Arnold after trading back. I would have taken one of these cornerbacks if calling the shots on draft day due to the greater need at this position. In hindsight, I didn't expect so many quality receivers to be off the board before the Jaguars 2nd round pick. Knowing that now, Baalke likely made the right decision especially since Jones looks like a steal, despite the fact some pundits had him rated lower than where he was selected. Prince also has many positive traits which should enable him to make the 53 man roster and eventually compete for playing time. I look forward to seeing how these rookies look in training camp and the pre-season games.

If we stayed at 17 I wanted Mitchell who I didnt think would be there.  After the trade back I wanted DeJean and then BTJ would of probably been next on my list followed by Arnold.  I was very high on Newton but its clear he had the injury red flag and now its reported there is also a issue with his other foot so im sure teams knew about that.  If I took Mitchell at 17 I would have came back and taken AD Mitchell at 47, if there were red flags with him from the interviews I wold have taken Jenkins.  Baalke taken Smith over Jenkins should be linked to him almost like Walker over Hutch imo.  It will be interesting to see who ends up the better player between Jenkins and Smith.

(05-13-2024, 07:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 03:25 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: It's difficult to not get very excited about Thomas' potential after watching these highlights. He's much faster than Tee Higgins and only 1 inch shorter. Can't remember a Jaguars receiver with this combination of size and speed except for possibly ex-quarterback Matt Jones. The combination of Thomas, Kirk, Davis and Engram will be tough to stop. Should also open things up for Etienne. As you said, the key to this offense jelling will be the offensive line. Best scenario is Morse plays at the same level as he did with the Bills and Chiefs. No reason they can't get at least a couple more very good years out of him. Cleveland and Scherff must prove they can remain healthy for most of the season. If they do, Lawrence should have a very big season. While the depth on the line isn't great, Little,Hodges and Foster will need to be reliable replacements in the likely case at least one starting lineman misses time due to injury.

If we stayed at 17 I wanted Mitchell who I didnt think would be there.  After the trade back I wanted DeJean and then BTJ would of probably been next on my list followed by Arnold.  I was very high on Newton but its clear he had the injury red flag and now its reported there is also a issue with his other foot so im sure teams knew about that.  If I took Mitchell at 17 I would have came back and taken AD Mitchell at 47, if there were red flags with him from the interviews I wold have taken Jenkins.  Baalke taken Smith over Jenkins should be linked to him almost like Walker over Hutch imo.  It will be interesting to see who ends up the better player between Jenkins and Smith.
I would have tried to trade up and take JPJ if only having to give up one of the 4th round picks. After that, I would have just stayed at 47 and taken Frazier. Adonai Mitchell looks like a boom or bust pick. His attitude seemed like a potential problem when he felt the ball wasn't coming his way enough.

(05-13-2024, 08:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 07:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we stayed at 17 I wanted Mitchell who I didnt think would be there.  After the trade back I wanted DeJean and then BTJ would of probably been next on my list followed by Arnold.  I was very high on Newton but its clear he had the injury red flag and now its reported there is also a issue with his other foot so im sure teams knew about that.  If I took Mitchell at 17 I would have came back and taken AD Mitchell at 47, if there were red flags with him from the interviews I wold have taken Jenkins.  Baalke taken Smith over Jenkins should be linked to him almost like Walker over Hutch imo.  It will be interesting to see who ends up the better player between Jenkins and Smith.
I would have tried to trade up and take JPJ if only having to give up one of the 4th round picks. After that, I would have just stayed at 47 and taken Frazier. Adonai Mitchell looks like a boom or bust pick. His attitude seemed like a potential problem when he felt the ball wasn't coming his way enough.

I would have traded up for DeJean or JPJ. I never seen that with Mitchell, do you have any clips or highlights of him getting upset?  If they took him off their board for red flags then I would have taken Jenkins and then Frazier would have been next on my board.  I hope Legette turns into a good WR, hes country as hell and has a horse named Dolla Bill lol

https://youtu.be/DX9NsG6X9rc?si=TWpccWBZX06a7dKs

(05-13-2024, 09:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 08:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I would have tried to trade up and take JPJ if only having to give up one of the 4th round picks. After that, I would have just stayed at 47 and taken Frazier. Adonai Mitchell looks like a boom or bust pick. His attitude seemed like a potential problem when he felt the ball wasn't coming his way enough.

I would have traded up for DeJean or JPJ. I never seen that with Mitchell, do you have any clips or highlights of him getting upset?  If they took him off their board for red flags then I would have taken Jenkins and then Frazier would have been next on my board.  I hope Legette turns into a good WR, hes country as hell and has a horse named Dolla Bill lol

https://youtu.be/DX9NsG6X9rc?si=TWpccWBZX06a7dKs

Can't say I have any clips of Mitchell displaying a bad attitude on the field. I was basing this off of comments made by certain G.M.'s that he did not manage his diabetic medication very well and could be very abrasive when not properly medicated. On the other hand, he has also been described as a very compassionate person who is a great father. He apparently also hired a private chef recently and is doing much better at monitoring his diet. The more I read about this guy, the more I like him and am pulling for him. If he is able to deal effectively with his diabetes going forward, he might turn out to be one of the steals of this draft and someone the Jaguars will have to worry about when facing him 2 times every season.

(05-13-2024, 02:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

That's a good thing, cause TLaw only throws 50/50 balls...  Ninja   And I'll just see my way out... *tip toe* *tip toe* *run*

(05-14-2024, 10:56 AM)cland Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 02:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yep. Should be a really fun year for this offense. Hopefully Morse was the missing link to the offensive line woes and Cleveland is more comfortable after a year to where he can settle in at left guard. 

That's a good thing, cause TLaw only throws 50/50 balls...  Ninja   And I'll just see my way out... *tip toe* *tip toe* *run*
Lol
[Image: giphy.gif]