Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welcome Jags new DT Maason Smith!

(04-27-2024, 09:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jenkins went the following pick.  Hopefully they picked the right DT.    The mini hands are odd on a player that size.  He has Chris Jones's size but Jones has 10.75" hands while Smith has 8.5" hands.  Hopefully his mini hands won't make a difference

Sometimes the situation calls for a toothpick and not a fork.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2024, 09:17 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 09:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jenkins went the following pick.  Hopefully they picked the right DT.    The mini hands are odd on a player that size.  He has Chris Jones's size but Jones has 10.75" hands while Smith has 8.5" hands.  Hopefully his mini hands won't make a difference

Sometimes the situation calls for a toothpick and not a fork.
Haha

(04-27-2024, 08:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 08:42 AM)NoShoes Wrote: Lol for those thinking it’s a contract year for Trevor.
It is. It's year four. If he doesn't ball out this year his bargain chips are gone at the table.

They're already talking to him about it. Confirmed by Baalke and Lawrence this month...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

lol no. They’re fixing to have him extended to a monster contract.

It’ll be done before the season

He seems to be just what we need on our interior DL to say the least. Hopefully he'll come in and seriously contribute as an rookie.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Smith was a Baalke special. A 5 star recruit that fell because of a ACL that has still been trying to come back 100% like the Walker Little pick and others. Its a risky pick imo and not who i would have taken there but if he lives up to his potential he could end up the best DT in this class

(04-27-2024, 03:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I wonder if this says anything about how they feel about Davon Hamilton.

Even if they were confident in Hamilton - they needed another big guy to rotate since they waived Fatukasi.

This guy is a massive human being who had very little production in college reminiscent of the Walker Little draft pick.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(04-26-2024, 10:50 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 10:29 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: I just need him to be better than Roy Robertson Harris.    That's my low bar, which he should be able to exceed.

Terrible take because Big Roy is a good player lol.

Is he? like someone said, the guy had like 5-6 good games in 2022 and in all other games he has been average at best.

Baalke has this weird fetish about players with injuries... I don't dislike the pick but I really wish he would have traded up for JPJ...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I really liked this pick. I would have preferred that we got him a round later, but still, I'll take him. He has a ton of upside, and fills a position of need.
[Image: pqk1i5F.jpg]

I understand this selection on two platforms that doesn't have an personal opinion.

1.) He returned this season off of a major injury to which he didn't feel 100% until the latter part of his final collegiate season. He's primed to get back to where his performance was prior to his injury.
2.) Baalke had the inside scoop on him and the two other selections from LSU via. one of the new defensive coaches that has coached him during his college stay.

For those reasonings I feel good about this selection and I'm looking forward to both of our DTs to be extremely productive.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 06:43 PM by JaG4LyFe. Edited 2 times in total.)

the head scratcher pick. Baalkes second rounders are Little Strange Smith, He bad at second round
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

This pick is growing on me. Cant wait to see him in the rotation.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Biggest thing is real shot if he had returned to LSU he could have been a first round dt next year with a decent season

Shipley on the "upside" pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/2024...ason-smith

Would be amazing to see this kid get a bit stronger and realize his potential.
Fingers crossed.

(04-27-2024, 02:25 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 10:50 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Terrible take because Big Roy is a good player lol.

Is he? like someone said, the guy had like 5-6 good games in 2022 and in all other games he has been average at best.

Baalke has this weird fetish about players with injuries... I don't dislike the pick but I really wish he would have traded up for JPJ...

I think this weird fetish is a realization that without those injuries those players would be someone you couldn't get.  So you get them and hope the injury isn't a career detriment and realize you got a first round talent in the mid second.  

Shooting for upside might burn you, but it also might get you elite players.

(04-28-2024, 01:26 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 02:25 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Is he? like someone said, the guy had like 5-6 good games in 2022 and in all other games he has been average at best.

I think this weird fetish is a realization that without those injuries those players would be someone you couldn't get.  So you get them and hope the injury isn't a career detriment and realize you got a first round talent in the mid second.  

Or you end up with a guy like Walker Little who doesn't have the versatility required to move inside but can't quite win a starting tackle spot. Still hoping he's a late bloomer, but... looking like a future swing tackle. 

Hopefully Maason Smith ends up at least getting meaningful rotational use by the end of his rookie year.

That is the downside. It's a risk you either take or don't. Baalke, unlike us, banks his career and livelihood on it.

(04-28-2024, 01:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 01:26 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: I think this weird fetish is a realization that without those injuries those players would be someone you couldn't get.  So you get them and hope the injury isn't a career detriment and realize you got a first round talent in the mid second.  

Or you end up with a guy like Walker Little who doesn't have the versatility required to move inside but can't quite win a starting tackle spot. Still hoping he's a late bloomer, but... looking like a future swing tackle. 

Hopefully Maason Smith ends up at least getting meaningful rotational use by the end of his rookie year.

Baalke said by the time of his Pro day he was finally 100%  he got more healthy as the season went on and you could see it in his play.  I watched that FSU game and he was dominant before the I jury.  I think LSU would have won if he didnt get hurt.  When the season starts that will be 2 years removed from the injury, he's good to go.  He will be a huge part of our rotation week 1 I'm sure.  Hopefully he has a great camp

(04-28-2024, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 01:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Or you end up with a guy like Walker Little who doesn't have the versatility required to move inside but can't quite win a starting tackle spot. Still hoping he's a late bloomer, but... looking like a future swing tackle. 

Baalke said by the time of his Pro day he was finally 100%  he got more healthy as the season went on and you could see it in his play.  I watched that FSU game and he was dominant before the I jury.  I think LSU would have won if he didnt get hurt.  When the season starts that will be 2 years removed from the injury, he's good to go.  He will be a huge part of our rotation week 1 I'm sure.  Hopefully he has a great camp

That would be great.

Hoping your take on it is correct.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 04:02 PM by AnOldBrownie.)

(04-26-2024, 09:14 PM)enigma Wrote: Head-scratching selection for me with the value at the pick. Not a fan of the selection especially with other higher rated players available at OL, CB, and even DT.

Hope he proves me wrong though. He's going to have EVERY opportunity to be the impactful player that Baalke must have seen in him with Josh Allen, Travon Walker and Arik Armstead flanking him.

This is on Nielson, their new DC, if this pick is a bust.   Nielson's specialty is Dline.    

The Jags D-line for 2 seasons has under performed.

(04-26-2024, 10:50 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 10:29 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: I just need him to be better than Roy Robertson Harris.    That's my low bar, which he should be able to exceed.

Terrible take because Big Roy is a good player lol.

Wait.  What metric are you using to say Big Roy is a "good", not AVERAGE player?
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!