Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welcome Jags new DT Maason Smith!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 08:35 AM by Mikey.)

(04-27-2024, 08:19 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 07:35 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: we will need a strong stout defense when we go up againest elite qbs like cj  stroud  mahomes ,and all of the other elite qbs.    Trevor is looking more like a game manger qb at this point so its up to our defense to stop other offensses.  I'm glad jags took a 

defenseive player.   I thought at first last night we were trying to be the LSU Jaguars takeing back to back players from LSU.

So since you say Lawrence is a ‘game manager’, explain to me what you think that means.

manger is a food trough...so crap OL means Trevor lets the D feast all game?

(04-27-2024, 09:01 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: We'll see. They pinned the blame on Fortner more than anybody. I think in a few hours though they lean towards Javon Foster as a solid OT to develop and Mason McCormick as a solid OG to develop.

A few other names to watch. Tanor Bortolini at OC/OG and then Javion Cohen at OG. Either way, if they don't double dip at OL today there's something wrong with that front office.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Give me someone with G/C versatility like Bortolini.  This means he'll probably go in the 13 picks prior to ours.

...or one after. Angry

(04-27-2024, 06:42 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: the head scratcher pick. Baalkes second rounders are Little Strange Smith, He bad at second round

you forgot 3-7

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hear lots of folks putting this pick on Matt House.

I think it's deeper than that.

Ed Ogeron recruited Maason Smith. Ryan Nielsen is a protege of Ed Ogeron.
I think our DC may have been pounding the table for this pick with or without House being in the building.

(04-29-2024, 02:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I hear lots of folks putting this pick on Matt House.

I think our DC may have been pounding the table for this pick with or without House being in the building.

That's definitely a possibility. If true, we just have to hope Nielsen got this right. Smith was one of the "biggest" risk/reward picks in this class (maybe 2nd to T'Vondre Sweat). The Jaguars passed on much "safer" players like Kris Jenkins, Ennis Rakestraw and Zach Frazier. They could have also traded up to pick 41 to get a more complete cornerback ( McKinstry ) or possibly the best interior lineman in the draft (JPJ). Not sure what the price would have been, but these 2 players would have been worth it, in my opinion. 

Ultimately, Maason Smith's success (or lack of) will be the key to this draft. If he turns out to be Chris Jones( similar measurables ), we will be hailing Baalke for this decision. If not, everyone will be calling for his head (nothing new). Fans will have to be patient with Smith since he is very inexperienced and needs to refine some of his pass-rushing techniques. Chris Jones only had 2 sacks as a rookie and didn't "break out" until his 3rd season. Having Armstead as a mentor along with a stable group of coaches (didn't have this at LSU) will certainly help.

(04-28-2024, 03:59 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 09:14 PM)enigma Wrote: Head-scratching selection for me with the value at the pick. Not a fan of the selection especially with other higher rated players available at OL, CB, and even DT.

Hope he proves me wrong though. He's going to have EVERY opportunity to be the impactful player that Baalke must have seen in him with Josh Allen, Travon Walker and Arik Armstead flanking him.

This is on Nielson, their new DC, if this pick is a bust.   Nielson's specialty is Dline.    

The Jags D-line for 2 seasons has under performed.

(04-26-2024, 10:50 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Terrible take because Big Roy is a good player lol.

Wait.  What metric are you using to say Big Roy is a "good", not AVERAGE player?

(04-29-2024, 02:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I hear lots of folks putting this pick on Matt House.

But this strikes me as odd. If a coaches “speciality” is maximizing a specific position group, then wouldn’t that mean you should not have to invest high level resources (signings/picks) at that position group to get similar results to the rest of the league?

And now if the team is investing high level resources at that position group, then above average production is not good enough. The expectation would be elite production. Enough so that it can cover up weaknesses in other areas of the defense.

(04-29-2024, 05:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 03:59 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: This is on Nielson, their new DC, if this pick is a bust.   Nielson's specialty is Dline.    

Wait.  What metric are you using to say Big Roy is a "good", not AVERAGE player?

But this strikes me as odd. If a coaches “speciality” is maximizing a specific position group, then wouldn’t that mean you should not have to invest high level resources (signings/picks) at that position group to get similar results to the rest of the league?

And now if the team is investing high level resources at that position group, then above average production is not good enough. The expectation would be elite production. Enough so that it can cover up weaknesses in other areas of the defense.

I think they've invested a perfectly fine amount of capital into a glaring weakness for our team.

We have no idea what we are going to get from Hamilton. 
We waived Fatukasi
RRH looked good in the latter end of 2022 - not as good last year. 
Armstead is aging with an injury history that means he may not play a full season
Everyone else on the roster is backup rotation level players

I like the pick - I'm also glad they added a guy that can develop into a NT even if I'd have spent the pick differently

The last coach didn't get the most out of the IDL 
Hopefully this guy has enough to work with and actually gets them to maximize potential better than the last guy.

Crazy the way he moves for his size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8nsctKG_xo

(04-29-2024, 07:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Crazy the way he moves for his size

With arms that long, that amount of reps on the bench are impressive.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-29-2024, 07:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Crazy the way he moves for his size

One hopes having Allen, Walker, and armstead can open up nice opportunities for that 4th guy to shine.

Hopefully he makes us go from maason
To DAMN SON

(04-29-2024, 05:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 03:59 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: This is on Nielson, their new DC, if this pick is a bust.   Nielson's specialty is Dline.    

Remember the old saying "you can't teach speed"? Yeah, that, or some equivalent for linemen.

There's a difference between 2nd rd DT and UDFA DT. At least there is if you are scouting them properly. So yeah, if you want chicken salad, don't start with chicken poop.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 11:25 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

For our 2nd pick, this was yet another reach pick by Baalke. Fingers crossed that he gets healthy and is able to reach his projected upside quickly.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(04-30-2024, 11:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: For our 2nd pick, this was yet another reach pick by Baalke. Fingers crossed that he gets healthy and is able to reach his projected upside quickly.
I'd call it more a gamble than a reach 

Which is def a known Baalke strategy

(05-01-2024, 02:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 11:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: For our 2nd pick, this was yet another reach pick by Baalke. Fingers crossed that he gets healthy and is able to reach his projected upside quickly.
I'd call it more a gamble than a reach 

2nd round is kinda gray area for such a gamble.  1st round you definitely want to hit on a good/very good player at the least.  You could say the same for the 2nd round, but the draft is where you can get very good/elite or soon to be type players on the cheap.  If you feel Maason has the potential to be one of the better players from this entire draft, I guess the gamble makes sense.  Players that turn out to be "just a guy" you can acquire in free agency relatively cheaply.  I'd rather take a swing than draft a guy who will contribute but whose ceiling is "just a guy" if those are the only two options.  I realize it's not always that simple.

(05-01-2024, 12:15 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 02:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd call it more a gamble than a reach 

2nd round is kinda gray area for such a gamble.  1st round you definitely want to hit on a good/very good player at the least.  You could say the same for the 2nd round, but the draft is where you can get very good/elite or soon to be type players on the cheap.  If you feel Maason has the potential to be one of the better players from this entire draft, I guess the gamble makes sense.  Players that turn out to be "just a guy" you can acquire in free agency relatively cheaply.  I'd rather take a swing than draft a guy who will contribute but whose ceiling is "just a guy" if those are the only two options.  I realize it's not always that simple.

I don't know if we can put the Maason Smith pick in a categorical box, though.

Kind of a unique situation wherein a would be 1st round pick falls due to injury and the FO has a unique insight due to Neilsen's connection with Smith's college recruiter (Ogeron) and our LB coach having been his coordinator in college. 

If any team had the inside track on his potential as well as his anticipated health and durability it would be the Jags. 

You mentioned his potential - and I 100% believe the upside is in that range you mentioned. 
His measurables and traits are off the charts and the early pre-injury tape says he's no Taven Bryan. 
I like that he'll get too watch Armstead work in camp too. That combined with our new defensive staff could help get him up to speed faster than what we saw happen with Travon IMO. 

I'm being somewhat optimistic, but his upside is exciting if he takes well to an NFL offseason of conditioning and training.

The more I watch videos, the more I see some Christian Barmore in him.

(05-01-2024, 03:18 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: The more I watch videos, the more I see some Christian Barmore in him.

Interesting comparison. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if he develops into him. Barmore had a solid season last year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-01-2024, 12:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 12:15 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: 2nd round is kinda gray area for such a gamble.  1st round you definitely want to hit on a good/very good player at the least.  You could say the same for the 2nd round, but the draft is where you can get very good/elite or soon to be type players on the cheap.  If you feel Maason has the potential to be one of the better players from this entire draft, I guess the gamble makes sense.  Players that turn out to be "just a guy" you can acquire in free agency relatively cheaply.  I'd rather take a swing than draft a guy who will contribute but whose ceiling is "just a guy" if those are the only two options.  I realize it's not always that simple.

I don't know if we can put the Maason Smith pick in a categorical box, though.

Kind of a unique situation wherein a would be 1st round pick falls due to injury and the FO has a unique insight due to Neilsen's connection with Smith's college recruiter (Ogeron) and our LB coach having been his coordinator in college. 

If any team had the inside track on his potential as well as his anticipated health and durability it would be the Jags. 

You mentioned his potential - and I 100% believe the upside is in that range you mentioned. 
His measurables and traits are off the charts and the early pre-injury tape says he's no Taven Bryan. 
I like that he'll get too watch Armstead work in camp too. That combined with our new defensive staff could help get him up to speed faster than what we saw happen with Travon IMO. 

I'm being somewhat optimistic, but his upside is exciting if he takes well to an NFL offseason of conditioning and training.

This is a good angle, hopefully we hit in this one! I’ll remain optimistic until evidence tells me otherwise.

(05-01-2024, 03:18 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: The more I watch videos, the more I see some Christian Barmore in him.

Barmore just signed for $92 million over 4 years. If Smith plays well enough to earn a similar 2nd contract, we will all be very happy. I understand why the Jaguars took this gamble on a guy whose college stats weren't great. Considering his ACL and having to play under different line coaches every season, it's understandable why his performance last season was so-so. Guys with his measurables are extremely rare and he seems to be a hard worker.

Barmore was an elite run defender.  That's not Smith

(05-01-2024, 06:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Barmore was an elite run defender.  That's not Smith

C’mon man, the dude is fully in developmental mode, no one knows his potential yet. That’s lazy.