Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UDFA class

We've signed an IOL. Hopefully he pans out well enough to stay on the roster and provide depth. 

Oregon OL Steven Jones to sign UDFA contract with Jacksonville - Currently, by AT&T (yahoo.com)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-28-2024, 02:59 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We've signed an IOL. Hopefully he pans out well enough to stay on the roster and provide depth. 

Oregon OL Steven Jones to sign UDFA contract with Jacksonville - Currently, by AT&T (yahoo.com)

345 pounds with a 7 foot wingspan and 735 snaps at RG last year for Oregon. 
That's a good project player at a position needing depth.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 05:07 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2024, 11:21 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Any word on interior offensive line guys?

Monster of a man from Oregon

Oregon vs Utah this season highlights.   Played all the snaps in this game.   #74 at RG. 

Not sure why he wasn't drafted, but in game...mountain of a guy.   Hope he sticks on a team that needs youth at RG.

USC Highlights

Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

The entire Pac 12 championship game is also on youtube. All 2 hours.

This dude needs to be on the 53 man squad. He might not start this season, but he'll start in 25.

(04-28-2024, 04:48 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:

Monster of a man from Oregon

Oregon vs Utah this season highlights.   Played all the snaps in this game.   #74 at RG. 

Not sure why he wasn't drafted, but in game...mountain of a guy.   Hope he sticks on a team that needs youth at RG.

USC Highlights

Thanks, I was thinking we would be a desirable destination for IOL guys wanting to catch on.  This guy shows well. We will see.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-28-2024, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 02:59 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We've signed an IOL. Hopefully he pans out well enough to stay on the roster and provide depth. 

345 pounds with a 7 foot wingspan and 735 snaps at RG last year for Oregon. 
That's a good project player at a position needing depth.

Yes!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(04-27-2024, 09:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...0848726111

I used to watch him play ball in Pop Warner. That kid was special. Once saw him hurdle a kid in full stride.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 09:14 AM by Mikey.)

(04-27-2024, 09:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The most receptions in college football history:

1. Zay Jones - 399
2. Justin Hardy - 387

3. Wayne Ruby - 362 * not D1

The most receiving yards in college football history:

1. Corey Davis - 5,285

*Wayne Ruby - 5,624

The most receiving TD in college football history:

1. Jarret Dillard - 60
* Wayne Ruby - 74

Mount Union is a DIII school, and Ruby now holds every major receiving record in DIII History.

**had a long of no less than 62 yards in 5 seasons. WOW!

Bro had the difficulty on rookie mode.

At D3 most of the guys on the field come to play school, as Cardale once so eloquently put it.

I believe "mum" is the word.

I wonder if Cooper Hodges can play center? Best case scenario is Hodges at C and Steven Jones take over for Scherrff. Hopefully Jones and Hodges both have a great camp

(04-29-2024, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder if Cooper Hodges can play center?  Best case scenario is Hodges at C and Steven Jones take over for Scherrff.  Hopefully Jones and Hodges both have a great camp

We don't know if Hodges can play anywhere on an NFL offensive line well enough to even be a backup. 

I'm constantly mystified as to why people try to pencil him into plans so often.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 01:22 PM by Jag88.)

(04-29-2024, 01:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder if Cooper Hodges can play center?  Best case scenario is Hodges at C and Steven Jones take over for Scherrff.  Hopefully Jones and Hodges both have a great camp

We don't know if Hodges can play anywhere on an NFL offensive line well enough to even be a backup. 

I'm constantly mystified as to why people try to pencil him into plans so often.

I guess he had a good camp once upon a time so some fell in love.

Exactly. Just because some hate members of our O-line, putting a different name in their slot doesn’t mean better.

(04-29-2024, 01:25 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 01:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: We don't know if Hodges can play anywhere on an NFL offensive line well enough to even be a backup. 

Exactly. Just because some hate members of our O-line, putting a different name in their slot doesn’t mean better.

Though incredibly unlikely to mean worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-29-2024, 01:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 01:25 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Exactly. Just because some hate members of our O-line, putting a different name in their slot doesn’t mean better.

Though incredibly unlikely to mean worse.

I do not hate any of last year's backups. I have just sat and watched our backups season after season block poorly. Time to try something different,give someone else a shot,as this is not working. They are not getting better, only a year older. Last year we had 3 tackles, that was it, the rest of them just needed to be replaced. You can say what you want about"having a veteran" presence. These guys? What are they gonna teach the new ones how to yell to TL Lookout?

I only exclude Hodges as we have not seen him play yet.  Who knows what he will do. We need to search high and low now till the season and find some guys. At least we will have new names to complain about.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I hate all of last year's backups and half of last year's starters. I'dve picked 3 linemen in the draft to turn them all over.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 05:39 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

(04-29-2024, 04:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I hate all of last year's backups and half of last year's starters. I'dve picked 3 linemen in the draft to turn them all over.

+1

I would have subbed at least 1 of the DL selections for an IOL. We arent winning as many games in an offensive NFL without a solid O line.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 07:28 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

You're right, we don't.  That's why I said best case scenario.  I asked the question to see if anyone knows if he has played center.  He missed his whole rookie year so it will be tough for him.  Can you show me where people have pencilied him in?  Hopefully no player is pencilied in, you should have to earn your spot.  At least you can erase it if he is "pencilied " in

Agree with this.   

It's cool that Cooper is local and can do a couple of flips... but I'm not giving him anything without him going through an arduous training camp and pre-season.    Unless there is something completely wrong with Steven Jones (like his weight or athleticism) I have a hard time believing that from a talent perspective the Jags would automatically keep Hodges over him.

Both will need to prove themselves.   Cooper will also need to prove that he can stay healthy imo.

(04-29-2024, 06:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 01:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: We don't know if Hodges can play anywhere on an NFL offensive line well enough to even be a backup. 

You're right, we don't.  That's why I said best case scenario.  I asked the question to see if anyone knows if he has played center.  He missed his whole rookie year so it will be tough for him.  Can you show me where people have pencilied him in?  Hopefully no player is pencilied in, you should have to earn your spot.  At least you can erase it if he is "pencilied " in

He is constantly mentioned as "hopefully/maybe Hodges will be ready to take over at LG/RG" etc

Last year it was "too bad Hodges got hurt - he'd be better than so-and-so" 

If you haven't seen that stuff all over the board - you've been missing a lot of posts. 

I'm aware of how you worded it and you can squawk about the semantics all you'd like. 
I just consider him a complete unknown and don't understand where all the optimism comes form. 
I hope he somehow proves the optimists to be smarter than me, but I'm just trying to lend perspective on the odds of that happening.

Big on Cephus now that Zay is off the team.