Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 02:55 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

I have no idea if any of these players was a reach or not.  But I think it was a good draft because all the picks seem to make sense positionally.  We got possibly a number one receiver.  We heavily strengthened the defensive line.  We got some cornerbacks.  We got a back up offensive lineman with a lot of experience in the SEC.  We got bigger and we got faster.  

When you look at a guy like Brian Thomas, you see immense physical talent and great production.  Which makes you wonder why he lasted until the 23rd pick.  I didn't want a wide receiver in the first round, but I can see why they did it. 

It all just seems to make sense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 04:11 AM by HardcoreMoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...elections/

CBS draft grades from 2020. This is the epitome of why you should get all worked up over draft grades.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/grades-jaguars-20-draft

Just a list of draft grades from 2020 various sites.

When comparing to a consensus big board can we just remember that the people puttting that board together are people who want a job in a front office but are deemed not good enough. And If there big board was proven right down the line they’d be getting jobs in a front office

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 07:01 AM by MikePete54. Edited 1 time in total.)

I like this draft. The RB pick is the only one I dont understand since we already have returners.

He is a 7th round pick but Myles Cole is intriguing. True DE, very long and athletic.

Most holes have been resolved with DT, CB and WR picks.
I regret that we didnt pick another IOL in the 5th round.

(04-28-2024, 05:01 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: When comparing to a consensus big board can we just remember that the people puttting that board together are people who want a job in a front office but are deemed not good enough. And If there big board was proven right down the line they’d be getting jobs in a front office

I take big boards and media draft grades with a grain of salt. But I think my response to them is a little different than yours. Just to use three well known media members as examples: Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, and Bucky Brooks. Kiper is the quintessential superfan. He’s knowledgeable, for a fan, and he has watched lots of highlights. He gets a lot more right than he gets wrong. But at the end of the day, he has no real professional expertise. DJ has been a scout and was a college quarterback. He’s widely well regarded, with good reason. Same with Bucky. Both of them could still be working for teams if that is what they wanted. They make a better living and enjoy a better lifestyle than what scouts do, who are basically committed to a lot of grinding, long days, and travel.

If DJ, Bucky, or others like them (Lou Rididck, Brian Baldinger, etc.) evaluate a player or a team’s whole draft, I place a different value on that than a random online writer. Walter football is an an example of that. He’s at best a clickbait artist. More likely, he’s just a moron.

When we refer to consensus big board, we’re generally referring to the agreement of rankings from qualified media evaluators I certainly don’t refer to people who are no more qualified than me. If you take the consensus of good evaluations, they are (generally) as valid as those by any average team’s staff. So if a team makes an evaluation that significantly deviates from the consensus, they better be VERY sure they have a good reason. Most of the time, they prove over time that they did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Baalke should have been fired years ago.

Trevor's gonna get injured this season.

(04-28-2024, 07:20 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Baalke should have been fired years ago.

Trevor's gonna get injured this season.

he got injuryed last season.  he had 3 injurys even missed his first start ever cause one injury was so bad.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 07:53 AM by Caldrac.)

(04-28-2024, 06:56 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: I like this draft. The RB pick is the only one I dont understand since we already have returners.

He is a 7th round pick but Myles Cole is intriguing. True DE, very long and athletic.

Most holes have been resolved with DT, CB and WR picks.
I regret that we didnt pick another IOL in the 5th round.
This is exactly how I feel about it. Overall I am grading it as a B+. Would have gone with an A had they landed one more OL player.

I liked the trade down with a future 3rd and 4th RD pick added. You have your WR1.

I liked the DT and CB selections. Great depth with plenty of skill to challenge for playing time.

Javon Foster at OT/OG was nice. Don't care for the RB/KR selection. Myles Cole was a good way to end the draft. High ceiling EDGE prospect.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-28-2024, 07:09 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 05:01 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: When comparing to a consensus big board can we just remember that the people puttting that board together are people who want a job in a front office but are deemed not good enough. And If there big board was proven right down the line they’d be getting jobs in a front office

I take big boards and media draft grades with a grain of salt. But I think my response to them is a little different than yours. Just to use three well known media members as examples: Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, and Bucky Brooks. Kiper is the quintessential superfan. He’s knowledgeable, for a fan, and he has watched lots of highlights. He gets a lot more right than he gets wrong. But at the end of the day, he has no real professional expertise. DJ has been a scout and was a college quarterback. He’s widely well regarded, with good reason. Same with Bucky. Both of them could still be working for teams if that is what they wanted. They make a better living and enjoy a better lifestyle than what scouts do, who are basically committed to a lot of grinding, long days, and travel.

If DJ, Bucky, or others like them (Lou Rididck, Brian Baldinger, etc.) evaluate a player or a team’s whole draft, I place a different value on that than a random online writer. Walter football is an an example of that. He’s at best a clickbait artist. More likely, he’s just a moron.

When we refer to consensus big board, we’re generally referring to the agreement of rankings from qualified media evaluators  I certainly don’t refer to people who are no more qualified than me. If you take the consensus of good evaluations, they are (generally) as valid as those by any average team’s staff. So if a team makes an evaluation that significantly deviates from the consensus, they better be VERY sure they have a good reason. Most of the time, they prove over time that they did not.

I’m not doubting their knowledge but I’m just saying it’s probably not as great as most gms, or owners would be giving them gm jobs. Bucky has said on more than one occasion on huddle up podcast that his ambition is to become a gm. My guess is when he does a big board or evaluations if you actually go back 3 years later and look at his evaluations, like most gms he will miss as much as he hits. I’m not saying people should ignore their opinions because it’s no doubt better than majority of fans. But if you listen to them give draft analysis you’d think there’s going to be 150 all pro players out of every draft. 

All I’m saying is people shouldn’t lose sleep over tv analysts draft grade. Literally nobody knows who’s gonna work out and who will bust. So just let it play out

(04-28-2024, 07:55 AM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 07:09 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: I take big boards and media draft grades with a grain of salt. But I think my response to them is a little different than yours. Just to use three well known media members as examples: Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, and Bucky Brooks. Kiper is the quintessential superfan. He’s knowledgeable, for a fan, and he has watched lots of highlights. He gets a lot more right than he gets wrong. But at the end of the day, he has no real professional expertise. DJ has been a scout and was a college quarterback. He’s widely well regarded, with good reason. Same with Bucky. Both of them could still be working for teams if that is what they wanted. They make a better living and enjoy a better lifestyle than what scouts do, who are basically committed to a lot of grinding, long days, and travel.

When we refer to consensus big board, we’re generally referring to the agreement of rankings from qualified media evaluators  I certainly don’t refer to people who are no more qualified than me. If you take the consensus of good evaluations, they are (generally) as valid as those by any average team’s staff. So if a team makes an evaluation that significantly deviates from the consensus, they better be VERY sure they have a good reason. Most of the time, they prove over time that they did not.

I’m not doubting their knowledge but I’m just saying it’s probably not as great as most gms, or owners would be giving them gm jobs. Bucky has said on more than one occasion on huddle up podcast that his ambition is to become a gm. My guess is when he does a big board or evaluations if you actually go back 3 years later and look at his evaluations, like most gms he will miss as much as he hits. I’m not saying people should ignore their opinions because it’s no doubt better than majority of fans. But if you listen to them give draft analysis you’d think there’s going to be 150 all pro players out of every draft. 

All I’m saying is people shouldn’t lose sleep over tv analysts draft grade. Literally nobody knows who’s gonna work out and who will bust. So just let it play out
Who’s losing sleep? Lol no one.

But are we not allowed to have an opinion on the draft selections or should we just go with “InGeneWeTrust”?

I don’t know how it’s going to play out but I’m not a fan of his process after round 1. It’s pretty clear he has a tough time matching value and need. I think he gets infatuated with certain players and doesn’t let the board come to him.

My favorite picks are BTJ and Jarrian Jones. After that, no idea. I’m obviously going to see if play out because we have no choice but to do that hahaha

It’s ok to have an opinion on the draft and not just immediately say “you’re not a GM so you don’t know any better”. I know for a fact I could have drafted better than Gene Smith and he was a GM.

Going into next year's draft class already. With six selections within the first four rounds.

Priority #1 is LT.
Priority #2 is RG.
Priority #3 is C.

Mostly due to current contract situations and age.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-28-2024, 08:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 07:55 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: I’m not doubting their knowledge but I’m just saying it’s probably not as great as most gms, or owners would be giving them gm jobs. Bucky has said on more than one occasion on huddle up podcast that his ambition is to become a gm. My guess is when he does a big board or evaluations if you actually go back 3 years later and look at his evaluations, like most gms he will miss as much as he hits. I’m not saying people should ignore their opinions because it’s no doubt better than majority of fans. But if you listen to them give draft analysis you’d think there’s going to be 150 all pro players out of every draft. 

Who’s losing sleep? Lol no one.

But are we not allowed to have an opinion on the draft selections or should we just go with “InGeneWeTrust”?

I don’t know how it’s going to play out but I’m not a fan of his process after round 1. It’s pretty clear he has a tough time matching value and need. I think he gets infatuated with certain players and doesn’t let the board come to him.

My favorite picks are BTJ and Jarrian Jones. After that, no idea. I’m obviously going to see if play out because we have no choice but to do that hahaha

It’s ok to have an opinion on the draft and not just immediately say “you’re not a GM so you don’t know any better”. I know for a fact I could have drafted better than Gene Smith and he was a GM.

You see not liking the process is fine, but saying he’s got infatuated with players and doesn’t find value and need, for this draft we don’t know that yet, 
I’m far from a fan of his, but he said all off-season we need to get more physical in the trenches, and yes I wish we did more on the offensive line but he’s clearly drafted with what the new d coaches need in mind and on paper at least for now our d line looks a whole lot bigger and stronger. 

We currently have 14 offensive line man on the roster. 15 with the new draft pick. And whether we agree or not once we got to rounds 5/6/7 they clearly didn’t see any of the lineman with much of a chance of replacing those players. Particularly with the new rules in training camp there’s only so many snaps to go around. So if you don’t really believe in a particular player it’s hard to select them on a roster over players you’ve seen train over a year or two. Again there’s some terrible players on our depth chart on the line im not doubting that 
but out of the 20 or so offensive line man taken in the last couple rounds odds suggest only one or two will still be in the league in 3 years. Just because there available doesn’t mean there better than what we have, 
Been a jags fan has surly taught us, it actually can always get worse

I went with the b-

I gave it that good of a ranking because I hope the defensive players drafted surprise us in great ways. Time will tell.

Baalke continues to demonstrate the brilliance of the Peter Principle.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

C

Baalke continues to demonstrate his inability to take acquired draft picks and TRADE UP.. He Nailed the first round, props…

I just know that the Jags are going to regret not being laser focused on protecting Trevor, what we have on the O-Line is NOT good enough…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

This draft was a result of changing our overall defensive scheme. I hope it works.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 09:35 AM by Newton. Edited 1 time in total.)

NFL.com gave us an A-. I think we had a solid enough draft to have some real hope. Big strong d-tackles are worth taking, even if they are not alway the flashy picks.

If Mitch Morse tightens up the O line as predicted, this was a solid draft. If the O line continues to hobble offensive production, it was a royal failure. I said it before, there's a lot riding on Morse, and there's no reason to believe he won't deliver. But if he gets injured, who's taking his spot? We really need depth and long-term investment at that spot. Grabbing JPJ would have really rounded out the draft well. As it stands now, we're one injury away from an offensive meltdown that threatens the health of Lawrence.

Defensively, we're solid.

This draft is all about upside. Almost every pick is an upside pick. The Smith pick at 48 I think is what will determine if this was a good draft or not. If Baalke ends up hitting on that pick and Smith lives up to his potential it will be a great draft I feel like and we will have one of if not the best defensive line in the league. I hope Baalke was the smartest guy in the room for the first time in his career and Maason Smith ends up the best DT in this draft and a Pro Bowl to All Pro type player. Jarian Jones I feel like will be one of the best slot corners in this league. I give the draft a solid B.