Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: China steals the personal data of 4 million federal employees in massive cyberattack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://news.yahoo.com/china-suspected-ma...03030.html

How can something like this even happen when we have agencies like the NSA? what are the possible responses (if any at all) to the stealing of personal, and potentially classified information by China? it just doesn't make any sense...

Because the NSA is pretty terrible at their jobs it seems. 

Perhaps if we where not so focused on collecting every phone call, text message, email and search engine result of the citizens we could better prevent and counter attack foreign cyber attacks.
Cyber attack to steal information is difficult to protect against, and even tougher to formulate a response. 

If we respond to things like this, we risk revealing our capabilities and allowing our adversaries to build their defenses.

Churchill had to allow the Germans to bomb Coventry and kill thousands of people, because if he had issued a warning, he would have revealed that the German codes had been broken.

There are billions and billions of dollars being spent by the Pentagon on cyber warfare. I don't believe stealing the personal data of individuals is enough of a provocation for us to show our hand.
Quote:http://news.yahoo.com/china-suspected-ma...03030.html

How can something like this even happen when we have agencies like the NSA? what are the possible responses (if any at all) to the stealing of personal, and potentially classified information by China? it just doesn't make any sense...
Probably because the NSA is more focused with spying on locals than they are on actually defending this country.  

Just keep in mind that this is the same government that now has complete access to all of your personal medical information.  I'm sure that data is completely secure.  No worries. 
Read my lips (or keyboard).  Anything and everything that you do online or on the internet is pretty much "fair game".  Do I support the government gathering data based on the internet?  Mostly yes, but partially no.  At times I like to be anonymous when I browse the internet.  I don't want anyone, including the government knowing what I am doing.  However, valuable data can be obtained from monitoring certain connections.

That being said, there are certain options that people can use if they really are paranoid and want to protect their privacy.  For starters I would recommend not using a Windows computer and not using an iphone device (including an ipad, ipod, etc.).  I would also say limit time on "questionable websites".  By that I do not mean pron websites, I'm talking about sites like wikileaks.

If I did in fact do the above, it would involve using an operating system that is immune to any virus' or possible tracking.  I would not use it on my own home computer or network, and would probably not use it on a computer that I own.

The bottom line is this.  No matter how good you think you are behind a computer, there are people out there that can take control in an instant, and the only way to stop them is to pull the plug.

Quote:Read my lips (or keyboard).  Anything and everything that you do online or on the internet is pretty much "fair game".  Do I support the government gathering data based on the internet?  Mostly yes, but partially no.  At times I like to be anonymous when I browse the internet.  I don't want anyone, including the government knowing what I am doing.  However, valuable data can be obtained from monitoring certain connections.

That being said, there are certain options that people can use if they really are paranoid and want to protect their privacy.  For starters I would recommend not using a Windows computer and not using an iphone device (including an ipad, ipod, etc.).  I would also say limit time on "questionable websites".  By that I do not mean pron websites, I'm talking about sites like wikileaks.

If I did in fact do the above, it would involve using an operating system that is immune to any virus' or possible tracking.  I would not use it on my own home computer or network, and would probably not use it on a computer that I own.

The bottom line is this.  No matter how good you think you are behind a computer, there are people out there that can take control in an instant, and the only way to stop them is to pull the plug.
Pretty much, The average and even above average person has no chance of internet anonymity anymore. You can take steps to mitigate the triggers but that's about it. 
I don't believe for a minute they've ended the bulk data collection just because of the new "Freedom Act" it just means they're now doing it behind closed doors. Everything you do is watched, recorded and data based not just whats online. They watch from traffic cameras, to your "smart tv" apps, through your webcams, listen through your cell phones, monitor your search engines, it's not paranoia if they are really doing it. 

I stand no chance of having any anonymity, I practically scream for them to watch my rear, I'm on just about every "questionable" website, I'm actively a member of several organizations government sure doesn't like and I'm quick to tell you the one thing I hate most is government itself. 

If I'm really doing something I'm pretty sure they through flags at I'll use smartpage instead of google or bing. But most of the time I just say screw it, record me I'm aware you're watching. 

Quote:I don't believe for a minute they've ended the bulk data collection just because of the new "Freedom Act" it just means they're now doing it behind closed doors. Everything you do is watched, recorded and data based not just whats online. They watch from traffic cameras, to your "smart tv" apps, through your webcams, listen through your cell phones, monitor your search engines, it's not paranoia if they are really doing it.

I stand no chance of having any anonymity, I practically scream for them to watch my rear, I'm on just about every "questionable" website, I'm actively a member of several organizations government sure doesn't like and I'm quick to tell you the one thing I hate most is government itself.

If I'm really doing something I'm pretty sure they through flags at I'll use smartpage instead of google or bing. But most of the time I just say screw it, record me I'm aware you're watching.
Price you pay for anarchy Tongue
Quote:I don't believe for a minute they've ended the bulk data collection just because of the new "Freedom Act" it just means they're now doing it behind closed doors. Everything you do is watched, recorded and data based not just whats online. They watch from traffic cameras, to your "smart tv" apps, through your webcams, listen through your cell phones, monitor your search engines, it's not paranoia if they are really doing it. 

How does your new tin foil hat fit?
Quote:How does your new tin foil hat fit?

Wasn't to long ago no one believed they where collecting data on just about everyone, now we all know it and just accept it.

Tell me what did I say that is a conspiracy? You might be ok with it because you believe the motives are pure and the check and balances will protect you, But that requires some level of trust in the institution of government.
Quote:Price you pay for anarchy Tongue

You mispelled "government overreach."
Quote:You mispelled "government overreach."
Your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to astound me. 
Quote:Your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to astound me. 

It's not the whooshing that's dangerous, it's getting caught up in the tailwind.
I'll admit and agree that it is in fact "government over reach" regarding the collection of personal data of Americans.  However, a couple of things come to mind.

1.  They will do it anyway, only rather than it being "known" or "transparent" it would be done covertly and secretly.  Here's a news flash.  This has been going on for many years and isn't likely to change anytime soon regardless of who is in the White House.

2.  Most of the data collected are going to be internet and cell phone related and more specifically, communications related.  They are not "watching you" through cameras or webcams or smart TV's.  While being able to do so is possible, it's more likely than not happening because the data potentially gathered is not "high value" in terms of what they are looking for.

Do I approve of the massive collection of personal data?  It's a slippery slope, especially in today's world.  On the one hand I want our government to have the necessary tools in order to combat and fight the evil that exists in the world today.  On the other hand, I have no interest in anyone, especially the government getting access to my personal information without my approval.  Of course, because of my job the government does have all of the personal information on me that they could want, but it was with my approval and me disclosing it to them.

This thread is about China being able to access information through online access.  I blame the fact that they were able to do so on incompetence of people the hold the information, as well as the "Ignorant and careless approach" that most people take for granted in today's world.  Monitor and watch virtually anyone on Facebook, Twitter, online forums, etc. and you can get a pretty good profile on someone.  You can also come up with solutions for most of the "security" that exists in today's "cyber world".

The bottom line is, it's easy for a foreign government to exploit our weakness.

Quote:Your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to astound me.

And your naivete astounds me.
Quote:I'll admit and agree that it is in fact "government over reach" regarding the collection of personal data of Americans. However, a couple of things come to mind.

1. They will do it anyway, only rather than it being "known" or "transparent" it would be done covertly and secretly. Here's a news flash. This has been going on for many years and isn't likely to change anytime soon regardless of who is in the White House.

2. Most of the data collected are going to be internet and cell phone related and more specifically, communications related. They are not "watching you" through cameras or webcams or smart TV's. While being able to do so is possible, it's more likely than not happening because the data potentially gathered is not "high value" in terms of what they are looking for.

Do I approve of the massive collection of personal data? It's a slippery slope, especially in today's world. On the one hand I want our government to have the necessary tools in order to combat and fight the evil that exists in the world today. On the other hand, I have no interest in anyone, especially the government getting access to my personal information without my approval. Of course, because of my job the government does have all of the personal information on me that they could want, but it was with my approval and me disclosing it to them.

This thread is about China being able to access information through online access. I blame the fact that they were able to do so on incompetence of people the hold the information, as well as the "Ignorant and careless approach" that most people take for granted in today's world. Monitor and watch virtually anyone on Facebook, Twitter, online forums, etc. and you can get a pretty good profile on someone. You can also come up with solutions for most of the "security" that exists in today's "cyber world".

The bottom line is, it's easy for a foreign government to exploit our weakness.
Once again that is the difference between us. you wish for government to some degree protect society from the evil that exist, I believe government IS the evil that exist.

Depending on government for security is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

No I don't believe someone is watching each webcam every day I do believe like all other data it is recorders and stored so if they choose for whatever reason in the future it is retrievable.

There's even stories in mainstream media of government watching gaming systems to pick up on terrorist recruiting activities, that right there tells you they are watching. It's not paranoia if it's really going on.

Government is the enemy not your protector from the enemy.
Quote:And your naivete astounds me.

English. Words. Read them.

Top three cutest people on here in regards to posting content on here in no particular order:

Drifter

Flsprtsgod

X moderator (Because despite what some of you think I'm not totally insane)
Quote:Once again that is the difference between us. you wish for government to some degree protect society from the evil that exist, I believe government IS the evil that exist.

Depending on government for security is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

No I don't believe someone is watching each webcam every day I do believe like all other data it is recorders and stored so if they choose for whatever reason in the future it is retrievable.

There's even stories in mainstream media of government watching gaming systems to pick up on terrorist recruiting activities, that right there tells you they are watching. It's not paranoia if it's really going on.

Government is the enemy not your protector from the enemy.
You advocate federal governments role to protect you yet say that can't/wont
Pages: 1 2