Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "Don't Cry For Jacksonville", MMQB on Dante Fowler Injury
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/11/dante-fowl...eter-king/

Another well written piece by Peter King. Bad situation handled in the best way possible by Fowler. I always knew he was an upbeat, happy go lucky type guy, but this reaction to his injury has been unreal.

As he said "its just football", but it stinks because he was the 3rd overall pick combined with the Jaguars long history of 1st round mistakes for over a decade leaves fans feeling uneasy at a time we are supposed to be filled with hope & joy.

I hope it gives him time to study the playbook, learn from the sidelines and mature while healing his body.  The problem is the odds are against him coming into his 2nd year (essentially as a rookie) and attempting to be the player we had hoped post injury.  If he doesnt become a bust at this point it will be a pleasant suprise to many.

I've seen the Fowler press conference post-injury, and I can honestly say I've never seen someone with that kind of attitude coming off what had to be a devastating diagnosis for a player who has never been injured. 

I had friends at The Players yesterday who ran into him at the tourney with their son, who has had opportunity to meet a lot of the top golfers on the planet over the past week as part of a program he's in as a 12 year old who has beaten cancer.  After meeting all of these guys, the  highlight of his entire weekend was when Fowler rolled up with several other Jaguars, stopped, posed for pictures, and talked to this kid for a few minutes.  We won't know for a year what we've got on the field, but the team has to love what they've got away from it.

King said he's a better man than I am.

I know I certainly would not be as chipper/rosy in my outlook.

I hope his attitude pays dividends for him and the team.

Quote:King said he's a better man than I am.

I know I certainly would not be as chipper/rosy in my outlook.

I hope his attitude pays dividends for him and the team.
That kind of attitude makes for a good patient.  Hopefully it's a speedy recovery.
This situation Reminds me of the story of the old zen master...
Proud to have that kid on our team man. Next year in 2016 we'll have two first round picks to look at and enjoy next off-season. He's not even twenty one yet. Plenty of time to heal and get back into the thick of things. Just rest up, sink your head into that play-book and watch and learn from the veterans this year. That's all he can do. As mentioned by numerous folks on here though. This team wins on offense. It all revolves around Bortles this season.

With this kid's charisma and general likeability, he could become that face of the franchise we've lacked since MJD hobbled out of town. I hope his on field productivity matches his off field likeability.
Quote:Proud to have that kid on our team man. Next year in 2016 we'll have two first round picks to look at and enjoy next off-season. He's not even twenty one yet. Plenty of time to heal and get back into the thick of things. Just rest up, sink your head into that play-book and watch and learn from the veterans this year. That's all he can do. As mentioned by numerous folks on here though. This team wins on offense. It all revolves around Bortles this season.

I agree completely with everything you said....just want to address this closing point.

It SHOULDN'T be solely on Bortles' shoulders this season.

Yes, as the most important position on the team, the QB will often determine a team's fortunes.  But the supporting players can help in that regard.

Many have said nobody expected Fowler to notch double digit sacks this year.

But you don't need to notch double digit sacks to have an impact on the defense.

If Fowler notched 7-8 sacks, but changed the momentum with those sacks in three of those games...he had an impact.

If his pressure could have stopped a drive, keep the defense off the field another 3-4 minutes per quarter/half, shorten the field for the offense, it would have taken a lot of pressure off of Bortles.

I think Bortles playing not HAVING to score every drive plays better than Bortles would play HAVING to score every drive.

Bortles playing not having to score every drive...not playing from behind...has the option of handing off the ball to Yeldon to keep opposing defenses honest.  He has the option of using play action to draw defenses in, allowing Thomas to exploit underneath coverage and guys like Lee to get behind the safeties.

Yes, the development of Bortles and the rest of the offense will be the largest determining factor in the team's improved fortunes this year.  But the defense can help in that regard, and the defense with Fowler could have helped more.

I just hope Fowler can get back to where he was pre-injury by next year.
Quote:I agree completely with everything you said....just want to address this closing point.

It SHOULDN'T be solely on Bortles' shoulders this season.

Yes, as the most important position on the team, the QB will often determine a team's fortunes. But the supporting players can help in that regard.

Many have said nobody expected Fowler to notch double digit sacks this year.

But you don't need to notch double digit sacks to have an impact on the defense.

If Fowler notched 7-8 sacks, but changed the momentum with those sacks in three of those games...he had an impact.

If his pressure could have stopped a drive, keep the defense off the field another 3-4 minutes per quarter/half, shorten the field for the offense, it would have taken a lot of pressure off of Bortles.

I think Bortles playing not HAVING to score every drive plays better than Bortles would play HAVING to score every drive.

Bortles playing not having to score every drive...not playing from behind...has the option of handing off the ball to Yeldon to keep opposing defenses honest. He has the option of using play action to draw defenses in, allowing Thomas to exploit underneath coverage and guys like Lee to get behind the safeties.

Yes, the development of Bortles and the rest of the offense will be the largest determining factor in the team's improved fortunes this year. But the defense can help in that regard, and the defense with Fowler could have helped more.

I just hope Fowler can get back to where he was pre-injury by next year.

Completely agree. And just to touch on the last bit, I know an ACL can be tricky, BUT with his age and the timetable he'll have for recovery, I see no reason why he shouldn't be back to 100%. He can even dedicate a significant amount of time to increasing his upper body strength
Quote:Completely agree. And just to touch on the last bit, I know an ACL can be tricky, BUT with his age and the timetable he'll have for recovery, I see no reason why he shouldn't be back to 100%. He can even dedicate a significant amount of time to increasing his upper body strength

as long as there are no complications, fowler should def be back at 100% and ready for next season
Quote:I've seen the Fowler press conference post-injury, and I can honestly say I've never seen someone with that kind of attitude coming off what had to be a devastating diagnosis for a player who has never been injured. 

I had friends at The Players yesterday who ran into him at the tourney with their son, who has had opportunity to meet a lot of the top golfers on the planet over the past week as part of a program he's in as a 12 year old who has beaten cancer.  After meeting all of these guys, the  highlight of his entire weekend was when Fowler rolled up with several other Jaguars, stopped, posed for pictures, and talked to this kid for a few minutes.  We won't know for a year what we've got on the field, but the team has to love what they've got away from it.

Just from an off the field and intangible standpoint,   at the very least the Jaguars added two outstanding people in Dante Fowler Jr.  and A.J. Cann.   Add to what they realistically will provide on the field over the course of their careers,   things are pointing upward for the Jaguars.   The impact that Fowler and Cann should make in the Jacksonville area communities and on the NFL overall far exceeds just what they are expected to provide on the field.    Great job by the Jaguars bring both Fowler and Cann into their fold.  
Just watching him play you could tell he loves football
I'd be pretty upbeat too if I was getting a check for a couple mill$.

Like many I was uneasy about the Fowler pick originally. After all that has happened and how the kid has handled it I'm extremely happy he's a Jag. If things pan out like we all hope we have 2 high character players with him and Bortles. 

The offense needs to pick it up regardless of Fowler or how much of the offense picking it up is determined by Bortles. 15 PPG isn't enough. The defense played well enough last year but it was simply worn down by the offense's inability to score points or simply sustain drives.

This offense has sucked for years and I'm tired of excuses. It's put or shut up time. These guys need to start to produce and carry the defense instead of the other way around.
Fowler can still improve his upper body strength and learn the NFL game while rehabbing.

This wasn't our year anyway.  If he comes back 100% I'd be totally satisfied.  Give me 1 more high draft pick (shutdown corner) and we're set for the next 10 years.

"We handle adversity" made me chuckle a bit.
Quote:This wasn't our year anyway.  If he comes back 100% I'd be totally satisfied.  Give me 1 more high draft pick (shutdown corner) and we're set for the next 10 years.

That's the thing I never ever ever get, Hurricane.  This isn't our year, because we don't have all the pieces neatly in place for some sort of theoretical bout?

So once the pieces are in place, then it is our year(s) and we'll just win because of the PIECES?

When does preparation, effort, and execution come into play?

I truly believe that because we have lost so much, we tend to like to hold on to the idea of rebuilding/talent acquisition as a ready made excuse for Ls.  Surely, the roster isn't top to bottom sparkling, very few teams have that luxury, if any...but, there comes a time when we have to construe football as precisely what it is, a game.  You strap up and battle, in spite of paper credentials.
Pages: 1 2 3