Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Standing out early in OTAs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know they've only had three practices so far and that things easily change, but I'm already starting to notice players standing out in the few clips they do show. So far, a few players have caught my eye...

• Allen Robinson - maybe the cameras just like to focus on him, but he's all over the place making some incredible catches.

• Josh Johnson - I keep seeing him in tight coverage contesting passes. He appears extremely focused.

• Arrelious Benn - dude is making some wow plays downfield.

• Calais Campbell - he's giving our OL fits.

• Poz - He's got this!

• Mychal Rivera - our new secret weapon?

• Chris Ivory - easily the #2 RB behind 4net

...and another player has clearly caught Marrone's eye...

• Doran Grant - he really gushed on the guy more than I've seen him gush on anyone.

Feel free to talk about these players or any other players that you see standing out so far.

I like the defensive lineup. Campbell, Jackson, Jones and Fowler/Yannick. Poz, Jack and Telvin. A.J. and Ramsey. Church and Gibson. And now we have much added depth with guys like Smoot and Day and I expect Woodard to come in strong after working to get stronger for a year. Phillips. We got Blair in the draft, and Myrick. James Sample and Colvin and all sorts of cornerbacks gallor... And if, as u pointed out, if this Doran Grant guy turns out to be a playmaker.. Oh buddy. This defense has a real chance at being great.

Oh, and don't let Hunter Dimmick turn into Joey (The Incredible Hulk) Bosa on us. The Head Hunter!
I saw the one clip of Blake throwing a beautiful spiral,only to be broken up and nearly picked by Jalen.

Ramsey gonna have a monster year.
Blake looks significantly improved from the clips I've seen.
Quote:Blake looks significantly improved from the clips I've seen.

Yeah he has, although I'm waiting to see some extended throwing. I wish they'd tape a little more. Oesher was saying he looks "good, not great," and has had some concerning throws, but it's early.

What's with Blake's mouthpiece? It almost looks like it's covering his lips as though they're hiding his tongue sticking out underneath.

Marrone publicly complimented Calais Campbell and Dorian Grant. Said Fournette showed good receiving abilities. Other than that he was quite "meh" (as he should be at this time of the year, he's polar opposite of Bradley.

Couple thoughts from Mike Kaye:

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"It wasn't an especially strong practice for the Jaguars quarterbacks, as all three struggled with ball placement. There were a lot of pass breakups and a pair of interceptions.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Blake Bortles had an up-and-down day. His throwing motion looks improved, but his accuracy came in streaks. Chad Henne and Brandon Allen both followed suit."

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>Mike Kaye‏<span style="font-size:.9em;"><span style="color:rgb(29,161,242);">Account verificato</span> </span>@mike_e_kaye</a>  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/868308960994099200' title="20:32 - 26 mag 2017">15 h15 ore fa</a>
<div style="margin:-2px -9px 0px 0px;">
<div>
<div>Altro
</div>
</div>
</div>

<p class="">Late-night thought: Myles Jack, from my vantage point, had a pretty strong day. Seemed to be in position to make plays often. <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>

(I saw him getting an interception in the clip on jaguars.com)

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>Mike Kaye‏<span style="font-size:.9em;"><span style="color:rgb(29,161,242);">Account verificato</span> </span>@mike_e_kaye</a>  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/868309398262870016' title="20:34 - 26 mag 2017">15 h15 ore fa</a>
<div style="margin:-2px -9px 0px 0px;">
<div>
<div>Altro
</div>
</div>
</div>
In risposta a <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>@mike_e_kaye</a>

<p class="">Also would add that Arrelious Benn had a few really impressive catches. Hard to evaluate guys without contact but they stood out.

I feel like Benn is securing his spot with Walters out of the picture. This really tightens things up as the WR picture basically looks like...

Kenn

1. ARob

2. Lee

3. Hurns

4. Dede

5. Benn

6. ?

I still think we keep a true slot guy in the final spot. Dede is sort the go-to slot guy, but he's more of a split-end. With Kenneth Walker's speed I'll be interested to see if he challenges for this slot role, although the top contenders are Rashad Greene and Shane Wynn. I think they really like Wynn.

Quote:I feel like Benn is securing his spot with Walters out of the picture. This really tightens things up as the WR picture basically looks like...

Kenn

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]ARob
[*]Lee
[*]Hurns
[*]Dede
[*]Benn
[*]?
</ul>I still think we keep a true slot guy in the final spot. Dede is sort the go-to slot guy, but he's more of a split-end. With Kenneth Walker's speed I'll be interested to see if he challenges for this slot role, although the top contenders are Rashad Greene and Shane Wynn. I think they really like Wynn.
6. Green?
Nope
Blake is going to be asked to do the bare minimum this season.

Hand it off a ton and just not turn it over. Problem is the fact he always turns it over. Hopefully Marron and company can pull some magic.
Quote:Blake is going to be asked to do the bare minimum this season.

Hand it off a ton and just not turn it over. Problem is the fact he always turns it over. Hopefully Marron and company can pull some magic.

I'm thinking most of his turnovers are when he's outside the pocket, and I'm wondering if there are numbers anywhere to back this up. Bortles has a great feel for the pocket and that includes knowing when to escape, but when he's outside the pocket and trying to throw... that's where the turnovers happen. I think when he gets outside, if he's not already knowing where he wants to throw to, he should just tuck and run.

Quote:Blake is going to be asked to do the bare minimum this season.

Some of the turnovers have came because hes always had to try and force the issue too often. He had to make the play at all times. Hes never really had any sort of running game to take the pressure off of him.

Bortles will hopefully not be throwing it 35-45 times per game this year, like in the past. 25-30 per game is a much better number to shoot for. That would be the running game is doing its job and taking pressure off of Bortles.

He's going to turn the ball over some. That's just his play style. He's going to try and force some things at times. They just need to limit the amount of times he's forced to try and make a play. And an effective running game will do exactly that.
Quote:I'm thinking most of his turnovers are when he's outside the pocket, and I'm wondering if there are numbers anywhere to back this up. Bortles has a great feel for the pocket and that includes knowing when to escape, but when he's outside the pocket and trying to throw... that's where the turnovers happen. I think when he gets outside, if he's not already knowing where he wants to throw to, he should just tuck and run.

I actually think it's the opposite. Blake is at his best outside the pocket and on the move. I would put an avatar bet on him having more INTs from in the pocket then he does on the move.
Quote:I actually think it's the opposite. Blake is at his best outside the pocket and on the move. I would put an avatar bet on him having more INTs from in the pocket then he does on the move.

For my part tho I'm talking total turnovers as in INTs and lost fumbles combined. I'd take that bet (including lost fumbles) and would be interested in discovering the result. I admit he's not bad on the run as he can throw on the run, but I suspect he loses his feel for pressure when he's out there. Also, most of his really bad pick sixes, or brain fart plays like throwing past the line of scrimmage, occur when he's out there.

I refuse to get excited or even optimistic until this team produces when it counts. How often have we (and the media) gotten carried away during the OTA's and pre-season only to be greatly disappointed when the "real season" started. I could fill up this page with the names of players like Mike Sims-Walker, Dante Fowler, Larry Hart, Tavian Banks, Michael Cheever, Matt Jones, Reggie Hayward, Curtis Marsh, Chad Owens, etc., etc. Some of these guys careers ended due to injury (Cheever and Banks) and others just never produced as fans had hoped. Fowler's future is still TBD.

No doubt, this team has accumulated the best talent they have seen in several years. They are capable of winning the division if Bortles learns to use better judgement and improves his accuracy (2 huge "ifs"). As a season ticket holder since 1995, I hope they will turn things around this season. I just refuse to get excited and optimistic for the obvious reasons. As always, time will tell.

Quote:I refuse to get excited or even optimistic until this team produces when it counts...

I'm optimistic, but I'm certainly not taking OTA stand-outs into much consideration. 

I attended OTAs last year. Bortles looked very accurate. (despite the throwing motion being poor)  And Fowler looked unstoppable. We know how that panned out in September. 
Quote:I'm optimistic, but I'm certainly not taking OTA stand-outs into much consideration.

I attended OTAs last year. Bortles looked very accurate. (despite the throwing motion being poor) And Fowler looked unstoppable. We know how that panned out in September.

I can't believe how Fowler was tearing it up last year only to have a very average year. He was basically blowing up play after play during training camp.
Go up against average O line personnel and shine. Face stiffer tests and get neutralized. I can believe.
Quote:I can't believe how Fowler was tearing it up last year only to have a very average year. He was basically blowing up play after play during training camp.

The same reason opposing defenses enjoyed putting Blake Borltes [face] in the dirt
Quote:For my part tho I'm talking total turnovers as in INTs and lost fumbles combined. I'd take that bet (including lost fumbles) and would be interested in discovering the result. I admit he's not bad on the run as he can throw on the run, but I suspect he loses his feel for pressure when he's out there. Also, most of his really bad pick sixes, or brain fart plays like throwing past the line of scrimmage, occur when he's out there.

I don't think he threw one interception from outside of the tackle box last season so it would be an uphill battle to win that bet.
Pages: 1 2 3