Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who are some candidates for H-Back?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I heard on 1010 that only way Gerhart stays on the team is if he becomes an H.

Heard it around 7 pm thus evening, not sure who threw this idea out there but it can't be real.

Could it?
Lewis?
Gerhart
Harbor
Guy Whimper.
Gerhart, Koyack, Harbor, possibly Pierce and that's it.
Gerhart......soooooo?
Being that Caldwell has already said a couple of times that they envision Gerhart taking on some H-back duties, I'd say that's pretty much who they have in mind.

Quote:Gerhart, Koyack, Harbor, possibly Pierce and that's it.

Gerhart and Pierce seem like full time RBs. Is this H Back stuff just a Fancy RB2?
Quote:Gerhart and Pierce seem like full time RBs. Is this H Back stuff just a Fancy RB2?
Yes...

well.. no..

Its essentially a FB that doesn't line up in I and block in the traditional sense.

More split backs and moving out type stuff.

Pass catching FB with some blocking abilities. Usually beefier slower RBs or smaller TEs from what I've seen.
Quote:Gerhart and Pierce seem like full time RBs. Is this H Back stuff just a Fancy RB2?
  An <b>H-back</b> is an offensive position in American football. The H-back lines up similarly to a tight end, but is "set back" from the line of scrimmage, and is thus counted as one of the four "backs" in the offensive formation. 
Like a flanker, the H-back was set back from the line of scrimmage, and the role was often played by an athletic tight end. The H-back often has to be versatile; as a backfield member, they can be lined up to act as a lead blocker on running plays. However, the H-back also fills the roles of a traditional tight end, catching passes over the middle and pass blocking when needed.

From wiki
Is Gerhart tall enough to play H? And shouldn't he be an average route runner.

Seems like the route tree would a concern for him with him being a traditional RB.

Also I dont see him causing any mismatches vs the opposing teams LBs.
Gerhart's real name is Tobinbo Gunnar Gerhart. He sounds like an H-Back.
I dunno I assume Toby's days as a Jaguar are limited ...

Quote:I dunno I assume Toby's days as a Jaguar are limited ...

You haven't been listening to Caldwell all offseason, have you?
Quote:I dunno I assume Toby's days as a Jaguar are limited ...

Stop assuming.

Bradley stated flatly that Gerhart would not be used as a traditional fullback and that it wasn't likely he'd line up as an H back either.   This was about three weeks ago. 

I think they'll keep 5 RBs and use whoever is hot at the moment to spell Yeldon - who won't get more than around 20 carries per game  - assuming he even earns that many.  They'll use a committee and keep depth on the bench in case of injury. 

The additional blocking duties will fall more often to the 2nd TE.   In a two-RB set, the second RB would likely be in for QB protection more than lead-blocking etc.  

I'm speculating these things from the comments of Caldwell and Bradley.  I wouldn't worry much about some talking head on the radio flinging poo at the wall concerning Gerhart. If they keep 5 backs like they mentioned they might (no true fullback)  then he's a virtual lock to make the cut. 

What about Nic Jacobs?

Quote:What about Nic Jacobs?

Who is Nic Jacobs?
Quote:Who is Nic Jacobs?

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/Nic-Jacobs/755e92ba-8fdb-434a-8922-c80cc5a78f5e'>http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/Nic-Jacobs/755e92ba-8fdb-434a-8922-c80cc5a78f5e</a>
Pages: 1 2