Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Koch Brothers money in Politics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Love'em or hate'em, the Koch Brothers money is DWARFED by the labor unions itself. At least they use their own money, and not the dues money of the members that might disagree with the union

[Image: Political_zpsfw40wajw.jpg]

Screw the unions!

The only unions I have a problem with are the public unions. They are essential unionized against the tax payer, I have a problem with that.

Private unions have a role to play but I admit politics has muddied the water.

Public sector unions are essentially labor and management conspiring to screw over ownership. Its a terrible model and should be against the law.
Without unpaid foot soldiers like Drifter, who would stand up for the little guy like the Kochs?

Quote:The only unions I have a problem with are the public unions. They are essential unionized against the tax payer, I have a problem with that.

Private unions have a role to play but I admit politics has muddied the water.
There is too much money involved in campaigns and lobbying period. Campaign finance reform please. 

I see the Kochheads already got here.
Quote:I see the Kochheads already got here.
The love you have for your corporate overlords is so adorable. 

Is this not the thread to talk about the Kochs? 

The poor little Kochs.

Well thankfully for the candidates, there are other billionaires to throw insane amounts of money at them.

After Rubio entered the race with a great speech about the working class, the first thing he did was go hug a billionaire.

[Image: CCgWarMW0AAMq6O.jpg]

Quote:Without unpaid foot soldiers like Drifter, who would stand up for the little guy like the Kochs?

Soros, Bloomberg...
Awful lot of crying about group that made it only 50th on the list.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Quote:Soros, Bloomberg...

I see Soros made #19 on that list
It's sad that the little guy has been convinced that this is just peachy keen and a-ok. 

Quote:The love you have for your corporate overlords is so adorable. 

Is this not the thread to talk about the Kochs? 
You're right.  Warren Buffett and George Soros are mere paupers and small businessmen. 
Quote:You're right.  Warren Buffett and George Soros are mere paupers and small businessmen. 

We want them to stop influencing politics too.
Quote:We want them to stop influencing politics too.
I'm sure you do, right up to the point where not having their money starts losing those proggies  elections. 

Quote:I'm sure you do, right up to the point where not having their money starts losing those proggies  elections. 

If that's what would happen, why are so many conservatives against Campaign finance reform?
Money in politics is never a good mix, regardless of which side of the aisle.  However, what is more disturbing is where the money comes from, and where it goes.  Money going to a political campaign is one thing, but money going to a "foundation" of a political candidate is another thing.

The next thing that people don't seem to realize, large sums of money going to a campaign pays for the annoying commercials on television/radio as well as all of the crap that you get in the "snail-mail".  For those that actually still have a land-line for their home phone, it also pays for the "robo-calls".  Ads by whatever means do not influence my choice for a candidate, but that's just me.

If people want true campaign finance reform, then the thing for me would be this.  Campaign donations would only be valid from individuals.  No corporations, no unions, no "organizations".  Also, I would implement a cap as far as how much money a single individual could donate.  The number could be debated, but I would probably tie it to the median household income.

Quote:Money in politics is never a good mix, regardless of which side of the aisle.  However, what is more disturbing is where the money comes from, and where it goes.  Money going to a political campaign is one thing, but money going to a "foundation" of a political candidate is another thing.

The next thing that people don't seem to realize, large sums of money going to a campaign pays for the annoying commercials on television/radio as well as all of the crap that you get in the "snail-mail".  For those that actually still have a land-line for their home phone, it also pays for the "robo-calls".  Ads by whatever means do not influence my choice for a candidate, but that's just me.

If people want true campaign finance reform, then the thing for me would be this.  Campaign donations would only be valid from individuals.  No corporations, no unions, no "organizations".  Also, I would implement a cap as far as how much money a single individual could donate.  The number could be debated, but I would probably tie it to the median household income.

I think we're in agreement here.  Politicians should be serving the best interest of the people, not their own best interests in getting re-elected.  And that's a problem with both Democrats and Republicans.  Their #1 concern is getting re-elected, not doing what's best for the people who elected them.  I remember one of Harry Reid's staff saying that it's failure to not be re-elected, not to fail to pass bills that benefit their constituents.  
Pages: 1 2