Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade each Jaguars pick and the whole draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Do you have a favorite and least favorite pick?

Of course, my favorite pick is the first one because Dante Fowler is both a good value at #3 and a perfect fit for our defense. We filled a need without trading up or reaching for the player. Grade: A+

T.J. Yeldon also filled a need and is a good player, but was a reach at #36. Grade: B

A.J. Cann filled a need, but I had never heard of him. It will be good to see Zane Beadles get competition in training camp. Grade: B

After that I stopped watching the draft, but I like the fact that we drafted a former Buckeye and think Michael Bennett was a steal.

Taking into account where they were picked and value of the pick:

Overall: A

Fowler: A

Yeldon: B

Cann: B+

Samples: B

Greene: A

Bennett: A

Don't know enough about Sterling and Koyack
Overall...A

Least...DFJ

Favorite. ..Yeldon
My favorite is AJ Cann and id say my least favorite is Sample only because I haven't seen too much on him.
Fowler - B+

Yeldon - B

Cann - A

Sample - B

Greene - A

Bennett - A+++

Sterling - B+

Koyak - A

Overall - A
Fowler - B+

Yeldon - C (Sorry, I just don't see it when I watch him on film. I hope he's better than I expect.)

Cann - A-

Sample - B

Greene - A

Bennett - A

Sterling - B+

Koyak - C

Overall - B+

Trying to be realistic and not too much of a homer.
Fowler -  A

Yeldon - A

Cann - A

Sample - B

Green - A

Bennet - A+ (just for where we got him)

Sterling - B (maybe A material but I do not know enough about him)

Koyak - B

OK Overall A-

Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida - A-

A solid pick.  A lot of people were disappointed, but I think Fowler can be the top Defensive guy in the draft.  Good value (He was probably going in the Top 5 at the very least), and a good player.  I know people wanted Cooper or Williams.  And a true #1 WR would be great.  But with Luck and now Mariota in our division, we have to get to the QB.  

<b>T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama - C+</b>

I feel this was a bit early for Yeldon.  Would have loved to see us trade down.  Maybe Yeldon is THE GUY.  But when you take an RB this high, you pretty much HAVE to be the guy.  If he's a thousand yards per year rusher, then he'll turn out just fine.  I'm not sure that's what we get with him, but I hope it is.  

A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina - A+

We gave up way too many sacks last year.  Cann is a guy who could have went in the second.  Fantastic value by Dave Caldwell here.  You can't ask for much more than this.  Wherever he steps in, I'm sure he's going to contribute.  If Bortles is to succeed, the o-line is going to have to protect him.  Cann will help significantly there, and a third rounder that can do that is great.

James Sample, S, Louisville - B

A pretty good pick in the fourth round.  Has good potential.  Nothing to really be upset about.

Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State - A

This is great value.  Rashad Greene in the 5th, I would have been okay with him in the third.  I think he could be a good slot receiver for us.  It'd be nice if he were taller, but short receivers can succeed too.  And it was a 5th round pick, so you can't complain about height.  I wonder if he were taller if he'd be taken much earlier.

Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State - A+

Steal of the draft indeed.  This guy could have went in the second round, maybe even late first.  Injury issues are there, but we got him in the 6th!  The sixth.  Amazing job by Caldwell by waiting until the right moment to get this guy.  

Neal Sterling, WR, Monmouth - C

Not a big fan of taking a second WR instead of waiting around to see who we could get as an UDFA.  The player might be good, and it's just a 7th rounder.  Surprised we didn't take a pick of one of the other potential UDFA's who could have been drafted first. As far as the individual player, that's an incomplete.  I don't know much about him.  This grade is solely based on other circumstances.

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame - B+

A good 7th round pick.    A guy who could have been drafted earlier and gotten a decent grade from it. Can't complain about the pick.  Unlikely to have went undrafted.  

Overall: 2015 Jacksonville Jaguars NFL Draft - B+

The draft overall almost gets an A- (going by a weighed grade, I'd give it an 89%).  It definitely has the potential to end up an A Grade when all is said and done. If most of the players live up to their potential then we're going to see a much more talented team before long.  Good choices overall by Caldwell.  

Here we go...

Fowler- hard to miss in the top 3. Top talent and a need. I'll take it.    A

Yeldon- maybe a little high but looks like he could be what we needed. Dave wanted his man.   B

Cann- one of the best guards coming out in the 3rd? Great value there. B+

Sample- did not know a ton about him but been hearing great things. Watched one game cut up so far and was pretty impressed.    B

Greene- I thought this was a big get for us. I for sure thought he would go sooner. A

Bennett- and if Greene was not good enough, Bennett falls to us in the 6th??!! My favorite Day 3 pick. A+

Sterling and Koyack- I know nothing of either but I love Dave's strategy of trying to get two round 7 players and hoping one surpasses the other. Based on that   B

Overall a solid B+

Trying to be semi realistic, which is hard because I want to give almost all A+ 

Quote:Do you have a favorite and least favorite pick?

Of course, my favorite pick is the first one because Dante Fowler is both a good value at #3 and a perfect fit for our defense. We filled a need without trading up or reaching for the player. Grade: A+

T.J. Yeldon also filled a need and is a good player, but was a reach at #36. Grade: B

A.J. Cann filled a need, but I had never heard of him. It will be good to see Zane Beadles get competition in training camp. Grade: B

After that I stopped watching the draft, but I like the fact that we drafted a former Buckeye and think Michael Bennett was a steal.
To be honest I don't like or watch college football because of the politics involved in it.  I have read what the experts and people around the NFL have graded their drafts and how that came to that conclusion.  I will give it an A
Quote:To be honest I don't like or watch college football because of the politics involved in it. I have read what the experts and people around the NFL have graded their drafts and how that came to that conclusion. I will give it an A

I don't like college football either except for Ohio State and Florida, so naturally I only know about three of the players we picked. (I know a little bit about T.J. Yeldon because he played against the Gators.) But I am a big fan of filling our needs at the draft, which David Caldwell is very good at doing. So he gets some points from me for picking a Leo, running back, guard, receiver, and tight end in that order. And being a Buckeyes fan, I have no idea how Michael Bennett lasted until Round 6 because I have seen how good he can play.
Fowler - Great talent and fills a need. (A)

Yeldon - I watched him at Bama. Nice back in college with terrible fumble issues. (D)

Cann - Physical o-linemen at USCe. I think he will be starting by the end of the year. (B+)

Sample - Depends on the purpose. Is he an FS or SS? I keep getting conflicting reports. (Incomplete)

Greene - Nice value pick for the round. Provides depth. (C+)

Bennett - I don't know what happened. Everything I read grades him as a 2-3 round prospect. Based on that, (A)

Sterling - I know nothing about him. Based on what I have read, he has a ton of athletic ability. If he can transition to TE it is a huge steal. (A)

Koyack - Typical late round pick. No big deal. ©

Quote:To be honest I don't like or watch college football because of the politics involved in it. I have read what the experts and people around the NFL have graded their drafts and how that came to that conclusion. I will give it an A

I don't watch a ton of games but I like watching cut ups of players coming in. No politics or anything involved in that.
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I am a tough grader to start with so I will get that out of the way. I know I was one of the lowest people here on the Fowler pick. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">C+ for Fowler: Solid starter, highly doubtful that his athletic profile will allow him to turn into a real star. The huge effort and intensity will keep him from being a bust. Safe single to lead off the inning.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">B- for Yeldon: Closest thing to a true 3 down back in this class after Gurley. Can block and catch well. Just bad positional value with very solid prospects available at far more important positions. Safe single as well.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">A- for Cann: Second best guard in this draft after Laken Tomlinson (until Scherff moves to OG of course), but for far better value. Not exactly a pressing need, but great value. This one's a triple to me. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">A- for Sample: Great value, again. Some people had Sample as the #1 SS in the draft. Has the athleticism and ball skills to play FS, hopefully he can make a good transition.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">B+ for Greene: Should be the slot starter for a long time. Never going to wow you, but gonna be in the league for a long time. Disappointing to hear that Smelter was the target that got away w/ this pick. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">A+ for Bennett: I openly had Bennett on my short list of picks at 36 so I am obviously beyond thrilled. Could easily turn into the best interior pass rusher from this draft. Steal of the draft in my opinion.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">A overall grade. I wasn't thrilled with either of the first two picks. Both are good players who will start and be in the league a long time, but in both cases I feel there were a handful of better options available. I wasn't to pleased with the draft at this point, obviously. However, Dave destroyed the rest of the league from the 3rd round on. Not a single pick that was a head scratcher, and every pick could have easily gone a round or two earlier (or 3 in Bennett's case) and no one would have batted an eye. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I'm not going to comment on the 7th rounders cause I didn't evaluate them. I know several people who liked Koyack, but I stopped studying TE after we signed Julius Thomas so I didn't get to him. Sterling is more exciting to me with that size and pretty solid athletic profile. 

Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I'm not going to comment on the 7th rounders cause I didn't evaluate them. I know several people who liked Koyack, but I stopped studying TE after we signed Julius Thomas so I didn't get to him. Sterling is more exciting to me with that size and pretty solid athletic profile. 

You mean you haven't watched extensive hours of "tape" in a sweaty basement like everyone else? lol 

My biggest pet peeve during the off season is fans saying they watched the film on a player.. you-tube highlight does not count as expert film analysis 
Quote:You mean you haven't watched extensive hours of "tape" in a sweaty basement like everyone else? lol

My biggest pet peeve during the off season is fans saying they watched the film on a player.. you-tube highlight does not count as expert film analysis

Eh, take it with a grain of salt.. Like most pundits on the net, they fling until something sticks and then pat themselves on the back until we're sick of hearing it.. Bottom line is, if they truly were any good as analysts, they wouldnt be here.. They'd have scouting jobs somewhere.. All in good fun..
Quote:My biggest pet peeve during the off season is fans saying they watched the film on a player.. you-tube highlight does not count as expert film analysis 
I am not that, don't worry. 
Quote:They'd have scouting jobs somewhere.. All in good fun..
I would, heck I did for a bit...if I wasn't too lazy to write long form evaluations =/
Quote:I would, heck I did for a bit...if I wasn't too lazy to write long form evaluations =/

I take everybody with a grain of salt on here... EVERYBODY...
Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida - A

With his choice of essentially any player in the draft, Dave and Gus needed to choose the right pass rusher for our defense.  Dante looks like a top talent and a good guy, with a bit of personality and hopefully lots of opportunities to do that sack dance.  This D-line was good last year and they have added THREE premium players in FA (1) and the draft (2).  They could be scary.

<b>T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama - B</b>

This pick is similar to the Fowler pick in that Dave could have chosen any of several promising RBs here.  You just trust that Dave did his homework and picked a guy who fits the system and culture.  A feature back would make Blake's job easier and allow the current RBs to find complimentary ways to contribute. 

A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina - A

A.J. looks like the real deal.  Great value.  Some may consider an OG here a luxury, but not with our OL.  It needs to get better at every position and needs better depth.  We could use a mauler in the run game.  I compliment Dave that he didn't stand pat on the OL after fixing the RT issue and upgrading the competition at Center.  I though Dave might spend a Day 3 pick on a developmental T or G, but Cann is definite starter material  Does this pick light a fire under Beadles?  It should. 

James Sample, S, Louisville - B

If he doesn't win the starting job, he should be great depth and excellent on Special Teams.  We need some of those Core 4 ST-ers, and need more competition at Safety. 

Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State - A

He was one of the players I thought would be a great fit as a slot WR.  I hoped he'd be there in the 3rd, but he's a steal in the 5th.  I think Rashad will be a fixture for the Jags for many years.  

Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State - A

Another steal.  He fits the system perfectly and should slide right into the rotation.   Great value in the 6th and creates more competition and depth at DT. 

Neal Sterling, WR, Monmouth - C

Seems like a boom or bust pick on a WR with size. 

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame - B

Definitely need some young TEs if we are going to delete the FB and have multiple TE sets.  He has a real chance to make the roster. 

Overall: 2015 Jacksonville Jaguars NFL Draft - B+

Ready to rumble in 2015.  No limits, right?

Pages: 1 2 3