Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Free trade in Asia, good idea?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So looks like the TPP is gonna happen, to my chagrin...

Thom Hartman calls the deal SHAFTA, southern hemispheric free trade agreement. I like that term better than TPP, cuz it's gonna give workers the shaft, lol.

So, I have a feeling I already knew who's for and whose against this, but thought this should have its own thread. Watched hard ball with Chris Matthews yesterday, he's for it.. I've lost almost all respect for MSNBC.
This is not good, not good at all

"Leaked details from the TPP have detailed that corporations would actually be allowed to sue local governments in a secret international tribunal for passing laws like GMO-labeling or bans on genetically modified foods, or even fracking. If it hurts corporate profits – they want to take away our right to sue for damages. Companies would be able to veto any county, state or national laws in favor of their own illicit agendas – all behind closed doors."

If that's true where are all in trouble.

That's not good at all! And the media is really not discussing this issue at the depth it deserves.
Quote:That's not good at all! And the media is really not discussing this issue at the depth it deserves.

Agreed.
See I knew there were things we are all in agreement about!
Quote:See I knew there were things we are all in agreement about!

Someone would have to be off their rocker to think this is a good idea.
Quote:Someone would have to be off their rocker to think this is a good idea.

Or a Corporate Shill.

It's kind of scary how Obama and McConnell are working on this together.  This is probably one of Obama's worst policies.  It's Crony Capitalism on a global scale.  And yet it's one of those issues that's easy for them to spin because few people are actually talking about it.  
All one would have to do is review the results of NAFTA to understand the implications of what this most recent back door shady deal will end up resulting in.
Quote:Or a Corporate Shill.

It's kind of scary how Obama and McConnell are working on this together.  This is probably one of Obama's worst policies.  It's Crony Capitalism on a global scale.  And yet it's one of those issues that's easy for them to spin because few people are actually talking about it.  
Even typical pro corporate shills are going to have hard time backing this. Agreements not made to the public? Denying the ability of congress to amend the agreement when they finally get to see what it is? Other than the corporations that bought and paid for this who could possibly be for it?
Quote:Even typical pro corporate shills are going to have hard time backing this. Agreements not made to the public? Denying the ability of congress to amend the agreement when they finally get to see what it is? Other than the corporations that bought and paid for this who could possibly be for it?
Not just that but

Quote: 

The TPP creates a special dispute resolution process that allows corporations to challenge any domestic laws that could adversely impact their “expected future profits.” These challenges would be heard before UN and World Bank tribunals which could require taxpayer compensation to corporations.

(Per Bernie Sanders)

Eric posted something similar.

That's a scary thought that corporations can challenge our laws if they 'impact their expected future profits'.  

It's also likely to outsource many jobs..  And I think both the left and the right don't want to outsource jobs.  Or at least i'd hope so.  Yet Mitch McConnell and Barack Obama both support this.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:Not just that but

(Per Bernie Sanders)

Eric posted something similar.

That's a scary thought that corporations can challenge our laws if they 'impact their expected future profits'.

It's also likely to outsource many jobs.. And I think both the left and the right don't want to outsource jobs. Or at least i'd hope so. Yet Mitch McConnell and Barack Obama both support this. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The whole thing is nutso.
Quote:That's not good at all! And the media is really not discussing this issue at the depth it deserves.
Were you honestly expecting them to discuss this in some meaningful way?  Hillary stopped for lunch at Krystal.  Priorities. 
This is indeed a lousy deal, especially knowing that the UN/World Bank will be the ones enforcing this.  Having at least one of the most corrupt organizations in the world (The UN) handle this is bound to create all sorts of problems.   

People who are surprised Obama and McConnell are working on this together really don't have a clue who Mitch McConnell is.  He's nothing more than Harry Reid 2

Quote:So looks like the TPP is gonna happen, to my chagrin...

Thom Hartman calls the deal SHAFTA, southern hemispheric free trade agreement. I like that term better than TPP, cuz it's gonna give workers the shaft, lol.

So, I have a feeling I already knew who's for and whose against this, but thought this should have its own thread. Watched hard ball with Chris Matthews yesterday, he's for it.. I've lost almost all respect for MSNBC.

That tells me all I need to know.

Quote:Someone would have to be off their rocker to think this is a good idea.

Refer to the above quoted part in bold.  I think Chris "tingly" Mathews is off his rocker.

Quote:This is indeed a lousy deal, especially knowing that the UN/World Bank will be the ones enforcing this.  Having at least one of the most corrupt organizations in the world (The UN) handle this is bound to create all sorts of problems.   

People who are surprised Obama and McConnell are working on this together really don't have a clue who Mitch McConnell is.  He's nothing more than Harry Reid 2

People who are surprised that Obama is working on this don't really have a clue who Obama is either.  Or Bill Ayers.  Or Cass Sunstein.  Or John Holdren  Or George Soros....  the list goes on.  These people all have something in common.
Quote:That tells me all I need to know.

Refer to the above quoted part in bold.  I think Chris "tingly" Mathews is off his rocker.

People who are surprised that Obama is working on this don't really have a clue who Obama is either.  Or Bill Ayers.  Or Cass Sunstein.  Or John Holdren  Or George Soros....  the list goes on.  These people all have something in common.

This is true for most, but it's the people who support Obama despite knowing who the people behind the myth are who are more of a worry.  They understand what's happening, and they support it.
Quote:That tells me all I need to know.

Or the Koch's or the Corporations or the congressman pushing for this.... It's pretty sad really. 
Quote:Or the Koch's or the Corporations or the congressman pushing for this.... It's pretty sad really. 
Funny how the Koch brothers are always the counter argument against the likes of George Soros.  After that it's "corporations" rather than naming certain people or positions.  Also, the congressman pushing for this happens to lean left.  Hmm... ponder that for a bit.
Quote:Funny how the Koch brothers are always the counter argument against the likes of George Soros.  After that it's "corporations" rather than naming certain people or positions.  Also, the congressman pushing for this happens to lean left.  Hmm... ponder that for a bit.

Boudreau has a serious Koch addiction.
Quote:Funny how the Koch brothers are always the counter argument against the likes of George Soros. After that it's "corporations" rather than naming certain people or positions. Also, the congressman pushing for this happens to lean left. Hmm... ponder that for a bit.

Just as Soros is the counter to the Koch brother. Seems fair to me

When did McConnell start leaning left? I didn't put party into it at all. All I did was add to what you said because I agreed. Why defensive to corrupt right wingers involved?
Quote:Boudreau has a serious Koch addiction.
You wish Wink
Pages: 1 2 3