Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chuck Pagano: Lame duck coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl.../70495020/

I personally hope Irsay continues the idiocy and let's him walk after this year.
Based on the Colts talent the last 2 seasons,  they very likely went as far as anyone realistically could have thought possible.    Three playoff game wins in 2 seasons,  despite major flaws on Defense,  in their running game,  and their Offensive Line overall is impressive.    Why Chuck Pagano doesn't have more security is beyond me.  

He's not a lame duck coach, he's a coach entering the final year of his contract.  The Colts could re-sign him, thus, not lame duck.

Quote:He's not a lame duck coach, he's a coach entering the final year of his contract. The Colts could re-sign him, thus, not lame duck.

That's what lame duck means.
Quote:http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl.../70495020/

I personally hope Irsay continues the idiocy and let's him walk after this year.

Uhhh he's an average at best coach.

I don't see Pagano going anywhere, to be honest. He'll probably be extended at the end of next year (unless a complete fall off).

There's been too many times where teams just didn't show up for a game. At all. (Rams, Cardinals, Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys) to name a few games we were completely blown out in. Plus, "his" side of the ball (defense) has made no improvements.

I like him as a person, and I know the players love him too. But his coaching ability, to this point, has been average.
Add in the fact that GM Ryan Grigson is also headed into the final year of his contract we might get front row seats to the finger pointing game that will undoubtedly happen if the Colts flop again.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/pagano-gr...-page-year
Quote:Uhhh he's an average at best coach.

I don't see Pagano going anywhere, to be honest. He'll probably be extended at the end of next year (unless a complete fall off).

There's been too many times where teams just didn't show up for a game. At all. (Rams, Cardinals, Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys) to name a few games we were completely blown out in. Plus, "his" side of the ball (defense) has made no improvements.

I like him as a person, and I know the players love him too. But his coaching ability, to this point, has been average.

I will agree that y'all definitely let the better coach in Bruce Arians walk.
If the colts ever get a really good HC, a real X's and O's guy, they could be a very dangerous team.

I've never been impressed by what I have seen from Pagano, especially in big games. Although getting to the AFCCG was pretty good last year, even if it was through an old, injured Manning.

Any old HC out there can take Luck and beat up on the AFCS.

Quote:That's what lame duck means.
Lame duck refers to someone who is nearing the end of their appointment and knows they arent coming back.  For that reason, sometimes thier decisions and motives are questioned.  It also is perceived being in a position of less power than normal.  Obama is currently a lame duck because he cant be re-elected. Chuck Pagano can re-sign, therefore not a lame duck. 

Man i sure have to do a lot of teaching on this board!

Quote:Lame duck refers to someone who is nearing the end of their appointment and knows they arent coming back. For that reason, sometimes thier decisions and motives are questioned. It also is perceived being in a position of less power than normal. Obama is currently a lame duck because he cant be re-elected. Chuck Pagano can re-sign, therefore not a lame duck.

Man i sure have to do a lot of teaching on this board!

Lame duck in this instance refers to a coach who's entering the final year of his contract facing uncertainly regarding his future. He's "left blowing in the wind" so to speak.

I typed in Pagano and lame duck in google and this is what I get.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.google.com/search?q=pagano+lame+duck&oq=pa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i59l2j69i61l2.1092j0j4&client=ms-android-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8'>https://www.google.com/search?q=pagano+lame+duck&oq=pa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i59l2j69i61l2.1092j0j4&client=ms-android-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8</a>

I swear I didn't make the term up.
Quote:Lame duck in this instance refers to a coach who's entering the final year of his contract facing uncertainly regarding his future. He's "left blowing in the wind" so to speak.

I typed in Pagano and lame duck in google and this is what I get.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.google.com/search?q=pagano+lame+duck&oq=pa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i59l2j69i61l2.1092j0j4&client=ms-android-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8'>https://www.google.com/search?q=pagano+lame+duck&oq=pa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i59l2j69i61l2.1092j0j4&client=ms-android-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8</a>

I swear I didn't make the term up.
Wow, ok, so either sports writers have adopted a different meaning for the term, or they are incredibly clueless.  Thanks for posting this.  I'm very familiar with the term lame-duck, and it's implications when talking politics, and it is being used incorrectly in this instance. 

Edit: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lame+duck

Quote:If the colts ever get a really good HC, a real X's and O's guy, they could be a very dangerous team.

I've never been impressed by what I have seen from Pagano, especially in big games. Although getting to the AFCCG was pretty good last year, even if it was through an old, injured Manning.

Any old HC out there can take Luck and beat up on the AFCS.

idk about that.

some of their better players are already showing their age,

no more reggie wayne.

they patched that with other older guys.

theyre about to give a guy who, at least i consider slightly above average (not trying to argue about that here) in andrew luck a mega deal that will break the bank. 

drafting really hasnt been that good.

so idk. i think they benefit a decent amount from the weak division. 
[Image: lameDuck.png]

Quote:idk about that.

some of their better players are already showing their age,

no more reggie wayne.

they patched that with other older guys.

theyre about to give a guy who, at least i consider slightly above average (not trying to argue about that here) in andrew luck a mega deal that will break the bank. 

drafting really hasnt been that good.

so idk. i think they benefit a decent amount from the weak division. 

They absolutely benefit from a weak division, arguably the weakest in the entire NFL.

Even if you consider Luck "slightly above average", there are just a lot of average to below average young QBs in the AFC and as the older good Qbs start to decline, like P Manning, Luck will look even better when compared to the rest of the AFC QBs.

Heck, Luck even got to the AFCCG last year with his "slightly above average" self, and not a great team around him.

If they had a big game HC, and added/drafted some more talent, I just  think that they could really be a force in the AFC.

Within the next couple of years Brady will probably start to decline as well.

Now as far as that "break the bank" deal that they may have to sign Luck to, that could definitely hurt them going forward after they work it out.

I know the salary cap will go up, but still, Luck would be a huge part of it.

I have even seen/heard about it being in the $30M a year range. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but it is the NFL and they are known for some ridiculous contracts.

Quote:[Image: lameDuck.png]

If you change just one little letter, you get a completely different picture.
Quote:[Image: lameDuck.png]

AFLAC!!!!!!!!!
Quote:If you change just one little letter, you get a completely different picture.
[Image: dock.jpg]
Pagano said he wanted to be a run first team

I think Pagano is doing an alright job, but they should strongly consider a change in GM.

Edit: as a Jags fan I hope they don't
The best coach they had is now in Arizona. They should have kept him there. Irsay won't hesitate to cut him loose though. He didn't play around with Caldwell once Dungy retired.

Pages: 1 2