Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mark Lamping receives a 5 year contract extension
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Pres...65e9213a93

Any thoughts and opinions about Lamping and the job he's done as President of the team? I know that we often talk about Khan, Caldwell, and Bradley; but this guy's like a ghost on the forum.

Probably Khan's best hire yet for the Jags. Glad he is sticking around for 5 more years.

Quote:Probably Khan's best hire yet for the Jags. Glad he is sticking around for 5 more years.
He has really done a great job in growing the franchise. Football aside; from a purely business and financial perspective; the Jags are one of the top teams in the league right now.
Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Pres...65e9213a93

Any thoughts and opinions about Lamping and the job he's done as President of the team? I know that we often talk about Khan, Caldwell, and Bradley; but this guy's like a ghost on the forum.

The way I would describe the job Mark Lamping has done as Jaguars President,  based on viewing the team from a distance,  is as follows:

I believe that if Shad Khan would have been able to buy the St. Louis Rams and he hired Lamping as team President,   there wouldn't be any talk of the Rams leaving St. Louis.  From a P.R. standpoint,  the difference between the two franchises is like the difference between day and night.
CHAMPIONSHIP

Well, glad we got our franchise QB to a 5 year deal.

He's doing awesome. The 5 year deal means he'll be here for the completion of the shipyards
Easiest contract extension decision the franchise has had this decade. 

Lamping has done more for the Jags in terms of stadium improvement, advertisement, and sponsorships in 3 years than Wayne Weaver had done in his final 10 years. That's not a knock on Wayne and I thank him for giving us the Jags but Lamping knows his stuff. I'm sure the St. Louis Cardinals feel the same way.
Quote:Lamping has done more for the Jags in terms of stadium improvement, advertisement, and sponsorships in 3 years than Wayne Weaver had done in his final 10 years. That's not a knock on Wayne and I thank him for giving us the Jags but Lamping knows his stuff. I'm sure the St. Louis Cardinals feel the same way.

Jags felt like a team just biding time with Weaver, like you said no disrespect to Weaver, but the team seems to be expanding it's profile. 
All you have to do is watch the annual "State of the Jaguars" presentation and you will see, as a Team President, Lamping is an All-Pro.  

Excellent, regardless of anything else Lamping has been a rockstar and absolutely a huge part of our turn around.
One huge difference between Khan and the previous regime has been the people hired. WW hired on the cheap and did not even have a role like Lamping's. He basically did that job himself and you saw the state of the club when he left. Lamping had a great resume when he got here and has been terrific.

Lamping, like Khan is a rock star imo.

Lamping is done an incredible job.   Kudos to him on behalf of the "stay in Duval" fanbase.

Quote:One huge difference between Khan and the previous regime has been the people hired. WW hired on the cheap and did not even have a role like Lamping's. He basically did that job himself and you saw the state of the club when he left. Lamping had a great resume when he got here and has been terrific.

It helps that the new owner has a vision that looks beyond the next year or two and is focused on 5-10 years from now, not just with his team, but with the city he's become an integral part of.  Lamping is the instrument that Khan uses to implement his vision, and to drive his agenda, and the two of them have had a significantly positive impact on the team and this city.  Lamping is much deserving of an extension for being the eyes, ears, and hands of Shad Khan on the ground here.

There was an interview Khan did with the Jacksonville Business Journal or one of the other local publications where he talked about how disappointing it was when he arrived on the scene to see the complete lack of vision from the power brokers in this town.  He talked about there being homeless guys with more vision than the millionaires he'd met with.  Over the past few years, his efforts have dragged these community luminaries into the future and shown them what this city can become if they'll simply get on board and ride the wave. 

As a skeptic when he bought the team, I feel like I've got a unique perspective here because I wasn't immediately sold on Khan or his intentions.  I felt he had to earn that, and over the course of his tenure here, he has done that in so many ways it's hard to keep track.  His commitment to this city is significant.  Not every move he makes is the right one, but overall, he's got things headed in the right direction.  He didn't get where he is in life by floundering or sitting on his hands. 

Looking at it now, I see Khan's vision for the city as something parallel to his own autobiography.  He was a guy who was the perennial underdog who used hard work, determination, and serious smarts to take himself from a poor immigrant to a billionaire.  I think he looks at the city in a similar light, and his goal is to take this underdog small market and drag it into the future to be a competitive force with the big boys on a global level. 

Smart move.
crazy to think that we were able last year go on to jaguars.com and watch live; the construction of the worlds largest jumbotrons being built right there in Jacksonville, Fl.

Not only that, but to witness revolution in arguably the worlds greatest sports league, while at the same time, shocking the heck outta Greg Jennings, by being the 1st team ever to have pools and cabanas built into the stadium.

Thats just a couple mentions. Mark Lamping has done wonders. Especially considering the offset of multiple really bad football years. If we'd been winning during his tenure thus far, a lot more light would have shined on the accomplishments of the team in a marketing sorta aspect. Obviously, however, it is hard to celebrate pools and Jumbotrons (for example) when you're not winning. Even though that thought sorta cancels itself out (if thought could cancel itself out) because in a sense, the bright side, the good accomplishments would be the best things indeed to celebrate amidst an era of low win percentage
Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Pres...65e9213a93

Dude's a genius.  Very smart and business savvy.

Quote:One huge difference between Khan and the previous regime has been the people hired. WW hired on the cheap and did not even have a role like Lamping's. He basically did that job himself and you saw the state of the club when he left. Lamping had a great resume when he got here and has been terrific.

In defense of WW, he hired Coughlin and got the immediate benefit of a winning team which didn't require the need for big time marketing and sales.  Without a winning team over the past decade, we found the value of the other SR personnel to be much more necessary than they were during the initial decade.
Pages: 1 2