Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: US considers banning type of popular rifle ammunition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Story

"The Obama administration is considering banning a type of ammunition used in one of the most popular types of rifles because it says the bullets can pierce a police officer's protective vest when fired from a handgun.

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is proposing the ban of some types of 5.56 mm rounds — or .223-caliber — used in widely available and popular AR-15-style rifles because the bullets can also be used in some new types of handguns. Other types of 5.56 mm rounds would still be legal to buy, own and fire from guns.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The rule change would affect only "M855 green tip" or "SS109" rounds with certain types of metal cores. People who already own the ammunition would be allowed to continue to legally own it, but manufacturers would not be allowed to produce, sell, import or distribute it."

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">My question to folks here is.....who needs armour piercing rounds? What kind of targets are you shooting at (in practice or in the field) that you need something like this? Personally I don't feel something like this outside of a battlefield is necessary, at all. But maybe I don't have all the information. 

Quote:Story

"The Obama administration is considering banning a type of ammunition used in one of the most popular types of rifles because it says the bullets can pierce a police officer's protective vest when fired from a handgun.

<div style="font-size:11.5384635925293px;margin:0px 0px 1.1em 10px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">
<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is proposing the ban of some types of 5.56 mm rounds — or .223-caliber — used in widely available and popular AR-15-style rifles because the bullets can also be used in some new types of handguns. Other types of 5.56 mm rounds would still be legal to buy, own and fire from guns.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The rule change would affect only "M855 green tip" or "SS109" rounds with certain types of metal cores. People who already own the ammunition would be allowed to continue to legally own it, but manufacturers would not be allowed to produce, sell, import or distribute it."

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">My question to folks here is.....who needs armour piercing rounds? What kind of targets are you shooting at (in practice or in the field) that you need something like this? Personally I don't feel something like this outside of a battlefield is necessary, at all. But maybe I don't have all the information. 

</div>

You purchase armor piercing rounds to hit targets that would be wearing armor. No one purchases these bullets to waste on a range, these are self defense rounds. I have a good number of them and have never fired them except for about one clip when I first purchased them just to test them out. 
Honestly I don't feel automatic weapons are necessary either.  But I don't think banning the ammo will have much of an effect.

Quote:Honestly I don't feel automatic weapons are necessary either.  But I don't think banning the ammo will have much of an effect.

Automatic weapons require an FFL3 license and are extremely expensive and difficult to get. Also if you have an FFL3 you're subject to random searches from the ATF so the people with automatic weapons are on the up and up. Now the people that illegally own Automatic weapons are always going to have those, outlawing them won't change that.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! Molon Labe!

Quote:Honestly I don't feel automatic weapons are necessary either.  But I don't think banning the ammo will have much of an effect.

Not necessary, but really fun to shoot!
Quote:Automatic weapons require an FFL3 license and are extremely expensive and difficult to get. Also if you have an FFL3 you're subject to random searches from the ATF so the people with automatic weapons are on the up and up. Now the people that illegally own Automatic weapons are always going to have those, outlawing them won't change that.

I'm not sure about Florida, but in Virginia I don't believe any sort of license is required to purchase an assault weapon.  All I believe is required is proof of citizenship.  I can't speak for the state of Florida, but from a quick search there doesn't appear to be any requirements for assault weapons. 
Quote:You purchase armor piercing rounds to hit targets that would be wearing armor. No one purchases these bullets to waste on a range, these are self defense rounds. I have a good number of them and have never fired them except for about one clip when I first purchased them just to test them out. 
Comin' fur muh ammuh??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Just kidding  :teehee:

Seriously though what kind of self defense scenario involves armor piercing rounds being loaded and ready to use at a moments notice? Obviously an extremely rare one presumably involving zombie I hope?
Quote:I'm not sure about Florida, but in Virginia I don't believe any sort of license is required to purchase an assault weapon.  All I believe is required is proof of citizenship.  I can't speak for the state of Florida, but from a quick search there doesn't appear to be any requirements for assault weapons. 

First of all "Assault Weapon" is a made up term, what you're referring to is the popular AR style rifle. The Civilian version of the AR rifle you'll find at every gun exchange, gun store ect.... is a semi-automatic rifle meaning one trigger pull one round. There's all kinds of attachments you can use on the AR platform but to call it an Assault weapon is a joke, my 30/30 is more deadly then most AR's. 

There is no legislation against the AR rifle, so long as it's the civilian version which is strictly semi-automatic. Now the military grade rifle (looks the same as the civilian AR to the novice eye's) is a fully automatic rifle, those you have to have a Federal License for, called the FFL3. It's very expensive to get, very expensive to hold onto, on top of those rifles being very expensive to buy, and you agree to essentially an open door policy with the Feds. When you hole an FFL3 license the Feds can show up with little to zero notice and say we're here to inspect your guns and you have to comply. 

Quote:Comin' fur muh ammuh??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously though what kind of self defense scenario involves armor piercing rounds being loaded and ready to use at a moments notice? Obviously an extremely rare one presumably involving zombie I hope?

I believe in a population just as well armed if not better armed than it's government. I do my part to work towards that goal in whatever capacity I can. 

I own armor piercing rounds because there's all kinds of people with armor out there, and God forbid if in the situation I needed to I'd be willing and able to defend my home to the best of my ability. 

Self defense simply means anyone who has no business being on my property and has the intention of harming my family. They come in all shapes and sizes.

I can't use armor piercing rounds, my neighbors are too close. Throw a round and it would quite literally pass through two or three of these wood frame houses before stopping. I load with Blue Glaser in .223, 5.56, and Silver Glaser in my .45. They're frangible so they don't penetrate walls. They also won't penetrate armor, but if you shoot in the chest the impact will still do the work.

And zombies don't wear armor (except on TWD), criminals and tyrants do.

Do zombies usually wear body armor? And would it even matter...everyone knows you have to get them with a head shot any way!! :thumbsup:

Quote:My question to folks here is.....who needs armour piercing rounds? What kind of targets are you shooting at (in practice or in the field) that you need something like this? Personally I don't feel something like this outside of a battlefield is necessary, at all. But maybe I don't have all the information. 
I'm sure the police who were on the scene during the North Hollywood Shootout sure would have loved to have rounds like these...

Honestly, decisions to ban weapons and ammo like these will only come to bite both the police and the Government in the [BLEEP].
Quote:I'm sure the police who were on the scene during the North Hollywood Shootout sure would have loved to have rounds like these...

... and I'm sure they would have liked a couple non-law enforcement bystanders, with the same capabilities, that could have helped end it sooner. 

The Musket was a military grade weapon in 1776, namely because it was the only weapon around. RIghts don't change (2nd amendment) just because technology does.

Molon Labe!

Quote:I can't use armor piercing rounds, my neighbors are too close. Throw a round and it would quite literally pass through two or three of these wood frame houses before stopping. I load with Blue Glaser in .223, 5.56, and Silver Glaser in my .45. They're frangible so they don't penetrate walls. They also won't penetrate armor, but if you shoot in the chest the impact will still do the work.

And zombies don't wear armor (except on TWD), criminals and tyrants do.

Quote:Do zombies usually wear body armor? And would it even matter...everyone knows you have to get them with a head shot any way!! :thumbsup:

As we all know zombies come in hordes so you should get several lined up at one time. If armor piercing rounds are fired at non armor wearing bodies, how many bodies does it penetrate? As flsprtsgod said, they go through walls.....
Quote:... and I'm sure they would have liked a couple non-law enforcement bystanders, with the same capabilities, that could have helped end it sooner. 
Police always want civilians on hand to assist in dangerous situations  :teehee:
Quote:Police always want civilians on hand to assist in dangerous situations  :teehee:

Aug. 1, 1966, University of Texas, civilians DID show up with better firepower then the police and helped keep the shooter pinned down
Quote:Aug. 1, 1966, University of Texas, civilians DID show up with better firepower then the police and helped keep the shooter pinned down

Sure, but do you trust a random selection of qualified gun users enough to give them all access to armor piercing ammunition?
Quote:The Musket was a military grade weapon in 1776, namely because it was the only weapon around. RIghts don't change (2nd amendment) just because technology does.

Molon Labe!

How many people do you think actually owned Muskets back in 1776?  Contrary to popular belief it likely wasn't that many.  Muskets were ridiculously expensive and hard to maintain.  

You argue that military grade weapons should be owned.  So do we have a right to own a nuclear bomb?  The military has it, so it's certainly something that the government can use.  
Quote:Sure, but do you trust a random selection of qualified gun users enough to give them all access to armor piercing ammunition?

I Trust any LAW ABIDING Gun owner to have any ammo or weapons they may chose to have

Quote:How many people do you think actually owned Muskets back in 1776?  Contrary to popular belief it likely wasn't that many.  Muskets were ridiculously expensive and hard to maintain.  

You argue that military grade weapons should be owned.  So do we have a right to own a nuclear bomb?  The military has it, so it's certainly something that the government can use.  

I wasn't able to find any statistics on gun ownership in 1776, but I DO know that members of the Militia were required to supply their own firearms. People also needed to hunt for their dinner at this time (They couldn'd go to the local grocery store for apound of ground round)

<p style="margin-left:40px;text-align:center;">MOLON LABE!

Pages: 1 2