Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lewis, Poz, Gerhart, and Clemons possible cuts via nfl.com
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wouldn't argue with any of them.  Clemons was solid but fa and the draft could change that.  Lewis sucks so Good riddance.  Gerhart is a powerback so if this team's line would have to dramatically improve to allow him to run.  Poz is way overpaid and slow.  My two cents

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...uld-be-cut

The Jags have inifnity dollars of cap room and the luxury of time. I doubt they'll cut anyone of consequence until after the draft.

Ha this is speculation.  The team doesn't need to move on any of these players.

I'd say get rid of all them only if we find a Poz replacement or if we can't make him take a pay cut and cut the other 3 players. All 3 are replaceable with the emerging players like Davis, Branch, Abry Jones, and players we will draft like a pass rusher in the first. We can find a RB in middle rounds. 

Lewis is the only one that may happen.
I could see one of these guys being waived after the draft -  maybe  -  but I seriously doubt they release more than that.  

They have no need to. 

But at the end I think Lewis will be cut and the rest stay, we aren't in cap troubles but release Lewis and use that 7 mill on another TE and tun draft one

Clemons, Poz, and Gerhart will be back.

Lewis may have to restructure his deal, but I think he will be back as well.  

The T-U wrote an article about it earlier.

We shouldn't cut any veteran on this team that has the ability to produce still.  

I do think we'd be OK cutting Gerhart though.  He's just not good.

Id be fine cutting clemons and lewis.
My issue would be that this team, even with them on the roster, lacks talent.  Cutting them would only degrade the roster further in my mind.  Even if you draft players at their positions, the veteran presence is welcomed for me.  Now, if you are able to upgrade any of these players with a vet that will outplay them at similar or less dollars, I am up for it.

I'd let Lewis and Gerhart go, because I don't really see them as contributors anyway. The RB depth chart is crowded with young guys already, none of which will be the workhorse back for this team. So why bother keeping toby? Especially if they plan on addressing the position in the draft.

LB depth is an issue, so I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of Poz. Same with Clemons.

I'd be stunned if Clemons was cut. Lewis isn't worth that salary any more. I don't care for Poz at all, but I'm not in favor of cutting him unless we have someone to replace him.

Quote:I'd be stunned if Clemons was cut. Lewis isn't worth that salary any more. I don't care for Poz at all, but I'm not in favor of cutting him unless we have someone to replace him.

Exactly. Too many times we have cut bait with guys w/o having a replacement in place. If you want to be competitive, you're inevitably going to have to put up with at least a few guys who don't play at a level worthy of their contract. You can't just sign UDFA and bargain dumpster guys all the time.

Yea why get rid of Clemons?  Guy had 8 sacks last year.  Was our best pass rusher off the edge.  We dont have cap problems.  And we arent loaded with youth and/or talent at the position.  FA and the drat could obviously change that but even then would seem odd.  

Lewis I could see.  Gerhart I guess.  Poz maybe.  But no chance Clemons.

Quote:Yea why get rid of Clemons?  Guy had 8 sacks last year.  Was our best pass rusher off the edge.  We dont have cap problems.  And we arent loaded with youth and/or talent at the position.  FA and the drat could obviously change that but even then would seem odd.  

Lewis I could see.  Gerhart I guess.  Poz maybe.  But no chance Clemons.
I agree. 

Lewis is a possibility.  

Gerhart wouldn't be gone till probably August (after some preseason games) if they do part with him  -  as I see them giving him a chance to do what they expected of him before he got hurt and disappointed. 

I really don't se Clem or Poz going anywhere till 2016. 

All 4 could be gone depending on how FA plays out.  If we get J. Thomas then Lewis is as good as gone.  Huge upgrade in the passing game and not really much more expensive than Lewis is at $7M a year. 

Clemons I can see sticking around another season, but he's definitely lost a step due to age/injuries.  He's the one most likely to stick on the roster I think. 

Toby G was simply a bad FA signing, would be nice to pick up an upgrade in FA - maybe Spiller because of the Bills connection.  

Poz is too slow, but FA doesn't really have any good MLB prospects so maybe he stays a year while the Jags draft and then groom his replacement.  
No need to cut players until a reliable replacement is in. If the cap room is there , keep them around and compete it out
I don't think this reflects any particular knowledge of the team, just some guy at NFL.COM picking the highest paid veterans on a 3-13 team and speculating.  

Due to our large cap space, we're in a situation where we don't have to cut any of these players.

Now having said that, I would be willing to let Poz and Clemons go only if they could be replaced by another veteran with better abilities or of equal ability and lower price tag.

I would prefer to replace Gerhart via the draft... or even with a second year f/a with something to prove. Toby is a power runner and we just don't have the offensive line to facilitate his style. Of course, continually calling plays trying to run him outside didn't help. He does have upside, but until our o-line can be significantly upgraded he just doesn't fit here. I think Dave Caldwell has done a pretty good job over-all, but I think bringing Toby here last season was a mistake given our o-line.

Actually, I pretty much think starting BB2 last season was a mistake for the same reason... but I digress.

My stand on Lewis is that he is clearly over-paid for his production. But as I said up front, we've so much cap space that the money issue is really secondary. What we need is production from our TE. We need to upgrade here. We've got the money, so lets use it. We can make Lewis a new revised offer; if he agrees fine, if he doesn't, let him walk. Either way, the need to upgrade at TE is only secondary to our need to upgrade our o-line. Our offensive line should be our #1 priority to upgrade over any other position on the team. Period.

That o-line is like the motor in a car. You can have all the slickest looking go fast gadgets in the world around it, but if the motor is sick, you aren't going anywhere fast, if at all.
Quote:I don't think this reflects any particular knowledge of the team, just some guy at NFL.COM picking the highest paid veterans on a 3-13 team and speculating.

That's exactly what it is.
Pages: 1 2 3