Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Vacination Debate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So we've all talked about it in a few other threads, and I know lots of people on here both Left and Right agree vaccinations are not only good but necessary for a modern society. Some have even said they should be mandatory, not giving them to kids for example is a form of neglect.

Well California is proposing legislation that would do away with exemptions. So essentially you will now have mandatory forced inoculation by the state. http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_274...nation-law

Great who doesn't want healthy kids right?

But what about the precedent this is setting, or maybe the precedent already exist and it's an issue we need to debate, does the State have the authority to mandate parents regardless of their input have a medical procedure or treatment for their children? That leads to the question who is the final authority of a child, the Parent or the State? Who should be the final authority? I don't think this is a party issue either, I'm seeing just as many Republicans as Democrats support mandatory vaccinations. But to me, the idea that the State is the final authority on my child's health care, that to me is 100 times more dangerous then some parents opting out of a vaccination.

History has proven the power you give to the State will always grow, it will always expand and it will never be returned.

Hopefully it is worded in a way that limits this sort of power to this/these types of immunizations because you're right, if not, it does open the door to a lot of things.

Forced injections, lol no thanks, I think that's how Resident Evil started. 

I don't get the anti-vaccine crowd 
Quote:There already are "forced injections" if you want your kids to attend public schools or daycares.

Which is understandable, but there's alternatives to public school and daycare. Making a vaccine mandatory is a little different.
Quote:Which is understandable, but there's alternatives to public school and daycare. Making a vaccine mandatory is a little different.
It's a necessity for a healthy society based on herd immunity for those that are allergic to the vaccination.  
Quote:It's a necessity for a healthy society based on herd immunity for those that are allergic to the vaccination.  

But if it works why does it have to be mandatory? sure you'll have the few outliers for whatever reason that don't believe in modern medicine or think big pharma is poisoning them, and some of them will die. Some people that can't get the vaccine will die. But the majority who are not allergic will go and get the vaccine and they will live, that's just the natural course of things.

Why is it necessary to say, Parent's you don't have the final authority when it comes to your children. Even though most of you are going to do the right thing anyways, it's necessary for Government to establish they are the final authority, that just doesn't sit well with me.
Quote:But if it works why does it have to be mandatory? sure you'll have the few outliers for whatever reason that don't believe in modern medicine or think big pharma is poisoning them, and some of them will die. Some people that can't get the vaccine will die. But the majority who are not allergic will go and get the vaccine and they will live, that's just the natural course of things.

Why is it necessary to say, Parent's you don't have the final authority when it comes to your children. Even though most of you are going to do the right thing anyways, it's necessary for Government to establish they are the final authority, that just doesn't sit well with me.
I guess I am seeing this in a different way. I think ignoring proven vaccinations recommended by every doctor everywhere and therefore setting your child up for a potential deadly and preventable disease is akin to child abuse. You are required to feed your child and I see them as the same requirement for healthy life. Don't want to vaccinate your child? Fine but you should have to serve time for abuse. 

that might be extreme, I admit.
Quote:I guess I am seeing this in a different way. I think ignoring proven vaccinations recommended by every doctor everywhere and therefore setting your child up for a potential deadly and preventable disease is akin to child abuse. You are required to feed your child and I see them as the same requirement for healthy life. Don't want to vaccinate your child? Fine but you should have to serve time for abuse. 

that might be extreme, I admit.

Not extreme, abuse a child go to jail I think everyone agrees with that. The question is in the details, which vaccines and who decides if it's optional or not? What about if the medical community isn't unanimous about it? Does it stop at vaccines, what about fat kids, isn't it child abuse when parents don't deal with fat kids and leads them to a life of diabetes and health issues? What about parents that smoke isn't that a health concern for the kids, that's child abuse right? You see the problem I have?
Quote:Not extreme, abuse a child go to jail I think everyone agrees with that. The question is in the details, which vaccines and who decides if it's optional or not? What about if the medical community isn't unanimous about it? Does it stop at vaccines, what about fat kids, isn't it child abuse when parents don't deal with fat kids and leads them to a life of diabetes and health issues? What about parents that smoke isn't that a health concern for the kids, that's child abuse right? You see the problem I have?
I do see the problem you have absolutely. It's a question of what kind of society you want to build for the future. Obviously the protection of children should be at fore front of a society so it becomes a question of what should be required. Should the types of food be required? I do not know. What I do know is that vaccinations do not just effect the child in question but the rest of our society. 

I think if we are talking about vaccines in a vacuum it should be called for by say the CDC/AHA or the like. Maybe even a unanimous vote of the organizations of some sort. If it's not unanimous due to side effects of levels more than temporary discomfort than I think those should be mandated. 
Quote:I do see the problem you have absolutely. It's a question of what kind of society you want to build for the future. Obviously the protection of children should be at fore front of a society so it becomes a question of what should be required. Should the types of food be required? I do not know. What I do know is that vaccinations do not just effect the child in question but the rest of our society. 

I think if we are talking about vaccines in a vacuum it should be called for by say the CDC/AHA or the like. Maybe even a unanimous vote of the organizations of some sort. If it's not unanimous due to side effects of levels more than temporary discomfort than I think those should be mandated. 

Makes sense, we'd just have to make sure Pharmaceutical companies are always monitored and make sure there's no back door deals to get a specific drug mandated. Imagine how much money a company could make with a government mandated vaccination for ____ purpose.
Quote:Makes sense, we'd just have to make sure Pharmaceutical companies are always monitored and make sure there's no back door deals to get a specific drug mandated. Imagine how much money a company could make with a government mandated vaccination for ____ purpose.

They who must not be named!
Quote:Not extreme, abuse a child go to jail I think everyone agrees with that. The question is in the details, which vaccines and who decides if it's optional or not? What about if the medical community isn't unanimous about it? Does it stop at vaccines, what about fat kids, isn't it child abuse when parents don't deal with fat kids and leads them to a life of diabetes and health issues? What about parents that smoke isn't that a health concern for the kids, that's child abuse right? You see the problem I have?

Someone's kid being fat and getting diabetes in later life doesn't affect the health of anyone but that kid. Neither fat nor diabetes is contagious.
Quote:Someone's kid being fat and getting diabetes in later life doesn't affect the health of anyone but that kid. Neither fat nor diabetes is contagious.

Fair point but if a kids not vaccinated and others are vaccinated how is it a threat to the vaccinated population? And is that our threshold if it threatens others we make it mandatory?
Quote:Fair point but if a kids not vaccinated and others are vaccinated how is it a threat to the vaccinated population? And is that our threshold if it threatens others we make it mandatory?

Vaccines aren't 100% from what I understand. Something like 99% maybe.
Quote:Vaccines aren't 100% from what I understand. Something like 99% maybe.

I don't think any medicine is 100% but I'm just trying to qualify the argument for a mandatory vaccine.

Should it be mandatory because it's good for the kids and not giving them the vaccine is abuse?

Or is it because non vaccinated kids threaten the rest of society and their safety?

Or is it a combination of both?

Or to the extreme is it because parents don't always know what's best and they really shouldn't be the final authority on their child's well being?

And if the answer is one but not the other how do you prevent the abuse of such power?

I don't know but to me it's an interesting discussion
Quote:I don't think any medicine is 100% but I'm just trying to qualify the argument for a mandatory vaccine.

Should it be mandatory because it's good for the kids and not giving them the vaccine is abuse?

Or is it because non vaccinated kids threaten the rest of society and their safety?

Or to the extreme is it because parents don't always know what's best and they really shouldn't be the final authority on their child's well being?

And if the answer is one but not the other how do you prevent the abuse of such power?

A pregnant woman that is exposed to a number of illnesses can have a really bad effect on the unborn baby.
I got both measles and chicken pox as a kid after being vaccinated for both. My sister, mom and dad all got chicken pox at the same time after being vaccinated. And we all got it done at different times, obviously, and different states due to where we were born.

Do I think all kids should be vaccinated? For public health reasons, sure. Other than that it should up to the parents.
Quote:I got both measles and chicken pox as a kid after being vaccinated for both. My sister, mom and dad all got chicken pox at the same time after being vaccinated. And we all got it done at different times, obviously, and different states due to where we were born.

Do I think all kids should be vaccinated? For public health reasons, sure. Other than that it should up to the parents.

I got whopping cough as a baby even after being vaccinated.

When did you get your chicken pox vaccine? I thought they didn't come out until the early 90's here in the states.
Quote:I don't think any medicine is 100% but I'm just trying to qualify the argument for a mandatory vaccine.

I'm going to try to be concise in the answers, but there's so much to this that it's hard to be brief.

Direct vaccination usually protects on the order of 92 to 97% of the population who receive the vaccine, though the number varies based on which one we're talking about. For brevity's sake I'm going to discuss the Measles since it's the one in the news right now. The Measles component of the MMR vaccine works with a single does in 95% of those who receive it and 99% of those who get a second dose. As a result of the Measles vaccine we've had a 99% reduction in the number of case per year in this country. Prior to the vaccine between 3 and 4 million people per decade would contract measles, 20% of those would develop serious complications including diarrhea and pneumonia, 50k would be hospitalized, 1 per 1000 would be crippled for life by encephalitis of the brain and another 1 per 1000 would die. As recently as 2006, 663 people per day would die from Measles-related illness around the world, that's a quarter million people per year. Those people, as we've seen in the Disney outbreak, sometimes travel here.

So who is at risk? 5 groups of people:

1. Those who were vaccinated but it didn't take. This is about 4% of all who get the MMR shot.

2. Those who cannot be vaccinated because they are allergic to some component of the vaccine.

3. Those who are too young to have been vaccinated. That's every household in the USA who has a child under 1 year old, though these children have some passive resistance if his/her mother was vaccinated.

4. Those who are immune-compromised either through natural immune disorders or caused by something like chemotherapy.

5. Those who refuse to vaccinate.

The Disney outbreak makes a great lab to prove the efficacy of the vaccine. Out of the first 100 cases diagnosed, the victims were roughly half and half between vaccinated and unvaccinated. Consider that Measles is spread by droplet and that it will infect >90% of those who are unvaccinated who come into contact with it; it's classified as a highly virulent and contagious disease. Consider also that Disneyland has ~80,000 visitors per day, and that the average vaccination rate of 95% applies (we can't be sure obviously). That means that less than 5% of the population makes up at least half of the cases of infection.

Now, we don't know how many of those were at risk by choice and how many were at risk for unavoidable reasons, but we know that Southern California is the hotbed of the anti-vaccine movement. In Marin country for instance, they have a Personal Belief Exemption that permits unvaccinated children to attend public school. As a result, the vaccination rate in their elementary schools hovers around 63%, a number lower than the country of South Sudan. What that means for those kids is that their schools are a highly susceptible time bomb just waiting for the right detonator. The concept of Herd Immunity is that the diseases are kept away when large numbers of the population are vaccinated, ie there isn't ever a Patient Zero to start the epidemic, and if it does get in then the majority of people will not contract or transmit the virus. The risk of epidemic goes up as the vaccination rate goes down as more targets are available to spread the disease.

So, having said all that, what does the current picture look like? Here's a link to a map of the reported cases of Measles so far in 2015:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphic...p-1050.png

The scary part is the increase in cases since the eradication date of 2000. That increase is directly tied to the growth of the anti-vaxxer movement and puts a large portion of our population at risk.

And this is all just the Measles, not Polio, Smallpox, Mumps (the NHL has been dealing with this), Rubella (which causes miscarriage in pregnant women), Diphtheria, Rotavirus, Hepatitis, and yes, the Flu (still kills 20,000 per year in this country). When you combine all these diseases we're talking thousands of preventable deaths each year, many of them among people who don't have a choice in whether or not they get vaccinated. Essentially the anti-vaccine movement is a group of spoiled rich people who don't currently have to deal with these diseases because they live in a country where the generation before protected them from their own stupidity by poking them with the damn shots. Now they want to deny that to the next generation because a doctor lied and a ditzy blonde was given a platform to speak on something she clearly isn't qualified to discuss. Oh, and THIMEROSOL!!!!!! Wallbash

Lastly, should it be mandatory? For the sake of public health, yes, if you want to participate in public school. The price of living in a first world country is that we all act to protect our first world country. We don't let people drive 80 miles an hour through a school zone, there's no reason to permit the epidemiological equivalent to occur with unvaccinated children. If you want to opt out of the vaccines then you should be opting out of public assembly as well, because you're a menace to the society around you. Parents may indeed be the final authority on their children's well being, but not one of them has the right to be the authority on me or my children's, and refusing to vaccinate is doing exactly that.
Pages: 1 2 3